What are the basics you should know before diving into Lunix?

Attached: 14623874268.png (680x405, 291K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Proper nettiquete

how not to get suicidal when the most basic shit is broken and doesnt work.
ho to waste insane amounts of time to install and configure anything.
basically you need to have no life

using a toilet and a healthy amount of functioning brain cells

The first basic thing to know is that Linux is the kernel. It is used in the GNU system, hence GNU/Linux.

Linux is technically an operating system. The kernel can run programs with the init= parameter.

Are you fucking questioning my judgement?

Attached: 1553550036385.png (285x313, 228K)

Linux is not windows so don't expect it to behave like windows. Have an open mind and learn the basics of the command line and systemd. It's really not that hard

if desktop, go with a braindead easy one like linux mint. i have only needed to reinstall linux mint twice because i fucked around too much with shit i didnt understand. under normal circumstances it just werks.

wine does not. wine "works" for about 2 weeks at a time, when they release a new version stuff breaks. regularly. it is not fit for a production desktop. its not even really fit for a gaming machine. when i installed i had a dream of switching over, getting games and software running on. its a pain in the ass. im gonna buy a (probably) ryzen 2 3600 machine for xmas this year, and im already pretty set on going back to putting windows 10 on it, simply because wine and its releases breaking already working shit is a fucking dumpster fire.

>t. bought a ryzen system and installed and ran linux mint as a daily driver for almost 2 years.

its been a heartache. the amount of work to get software working on wine, and KEEP it working, is fucking pathetic.

Linux is a kernel.

Sorry RMS. I'll do better next time

You know you can set certain applications to use certain wine versions and that there are easy to use GUI tools for that?

see
>the amount of work to get software working on wine, and KEEP it working, is fucking pathetic.

so your professional opinion on a solution is to have 15 independent versions of wine installed, all with their own c drives, with different software pointing to different ones?

sounds great.

You're the one using non stable builds of wine.

>release new version of wine
>it is pushed to distro repos
>tells me to upgrade
>upgrade
>shit breaks
>this is the user's fault

Attached: sure thing.jpg (550x545, 34K)

They don't update stable wine that often retard. Give me the wine versions and the program that keeps on breaking

wine is on about a 2 week release schedule.

If you are the same user, Give me the wine versions and the program that keeps on breaking

why? so you can spend your morning troubleshooting my pc, or so you can dismiss me out of hand when i say staging and list some games?

i dont hate wine, or the devs, and i want them to continue, but wine isnt reliable enough for production, you need someone with infinite, inexpensive costing time on their hands to tinker with it. end of story.

you could use playonlinux to create one (1) prefix and install your pupu on that
playonlinux does not automagically update your wines

Yes. You use staging and wonder why it breaks randomly. The real way to play games on Linux is to use lutris/PoL and/or proton but I guess you value saving small amounts of space and deal with random breakage

dismiss out of hand it is.
staging is only what people recommend for gaming.

>systemd

Attached: serveimage[1].png (500x536, 156K)

It's a cool system for managing data but shit for basically everything else. Using it as a desktop will fuck your productivity. Better get a mac if you want it to be a daily drive.

Who are these people and are they stuck in a time before lutris and proton/dxvk? It's really not that hard to set up games to use certain wine versions and certain versions of dxvk. Nothing will randomly break and you can use the computer just fine

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Degree in CS and years of experience in kernel development, since kernel development is pretty difficult and your contributions to Linux will have to go through a very strict review.

You should look into how desktop environments work and that there's multiple. If you install Ubuntu for example and hate the UI don't drop Linux. Unlike windows and osx you have multiple choices in looks.

There's 2 big desktop environments you should look up, Gnome, default on Ubuntu, Fedora and many others, reminds me a little of tablet interface. KDE looks more like windows, but with a big amount of customization. Would recommend that for a smoother transition from windows. Look them both up on YouTube before you install anything. They can change the user experience a lot.

>Using it as a desktop will fuck your productivity.
Really depends.
If all your tools are working fine, it's just as fine as everywhere else. It would be a problem if your productivity is based on using new/different software tools all the time.

That it's not Windows

The file structure is completely different from Windows
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Learn some of the basic commands
>ls, cp, rm, mkdir, chmod, chown, su/sudo

The last 3 commands are related to users and permissions, which are extremely important in Linux. Spend at least a few minutes reading about how Linux handles users and permissions.

good post