What's the safest storage medium for archiving?

We must preserve the knowledge

Attached: holographic-memory-20-638.jpg (627x292, 47K)

from the little research I did by just googling I got the impression that magnetic drive was at least better than an SSD or a usb-memory stick. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Huge stone slabs with big letters.
+ Survives the ages
+ high redundancy if letters are big enough
+ difficult to steal
- needs lots of space

Magnetic drive, is what the pros use.

Human memory. If you forget something, it can't have been very important.

Duplicated M Discs and mSD cards combined.

Paper and pen

Just put it in the cloud user

humans

>We must preserve the knowledge
Lie to the internet. They will remember it to eternity

haha le internet culture :)))

Forgot:
+ survices all EMPs
+ survives flooding
+ survives fire
+ even if broken can easily be reassembled if redundancy was high enough (letters were big enough)

My sides.

i ordered few bluray m-disks to test if they work for 1000 years

I really want someone to test powered SSDs
maybe a lower power cell level like QLC

M-Disc
>Tape is susceptible to decay, magnetic interference, and mechanical failure
>Hard Drives are susceptible to magnetic interference and mechanical failure
>Burned and pressed discs are susceptible to rot and scratches (at different rates, but all the same)
>Flash storage needs electricity every so often or else the cells will lose their charge, thus losing their data
M-Disc is the best bet for cold storage, the only problem is capacity is far outweighed by tape at the moment.

Attached: 41x-IpaSvKL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 12K)

nice

If you want to preserve knowledge for millennia, then it's actually letters carved in stone. Electronic medium deteriorates rather fast. Stuff like paper can survive for a pretty long time, but heavily depends on right storage conditions.
So slabs or rock for anything that actually requires 1000+ years of durability.

Theoretically you could carve really large letters in bedrock far away from significant tectonic activity to get 100,000+ years of storage. I presume that in right conditions on a planet/moon with no tectonic activity such a method could preserve information for millions of years.

Attached: 36520192._SX318_.jpg (318x447, 16K)

The moon isn't real

or just have a dual ssd setup like a normal person and swap them as they deteriorate. dumbass

t. david icke

wind/water erosion will degrade it

How do you even archive digital media like FLAC on analog media? How do you restore it?

surely deep engravings in hard metal not susceptible to corrosion is preferable?

I'm gonna carve a dick on the moon.

putting digital data onto an analogue medium is trivial. think VGA.

All media is analog except juggling individual particle spins

Keep them inside. Also
>+ high redundancy if letters are big enough
At sufficiently large sizes you'll still know what the slab looked like thousands of years later.

I've heard it went bankrupt a few years ago

Have a bunch of children, pass the knowledge onto them and make them repeat the process.

Attached: brazil3.jpg (498x750, 131K)

I hope you didn't make that everyone knows dvds quickly started holding 7.8gb soon after their release.

position blackholes in morse code, would be reliable, last a long time, and you can read your data from across the room

Metals the least susceptible to corrosion are fairly soft - gold, silver, platinum. There are other things like aluminium, which instantly form a layer of oxide when exposed to oxygen and generally don't degrade further like iron, but it's still soft. Soft means easier to erode over time.
Stainless steel is iron-chromium-carbon alloy. It's generally pretty hard and not particularly reactive, but I assume it will corrode on geological timescales.

I'm not saying stone won't erode or crack over time, but silicates are generally more chemically inert, and are much cheaper as well.

For small amounts of data that need to be kept forever; punched mylar tape is still the way to go.

detonate nuclear bombs in binary and use radiation hotspots as bits

>How do you even archive digital media like FLAC on analog media? How do you restore it?
This value and up means 1.
This other value and below means 0.
There's a big enough gap in between that mistakes are very unlikely.
Sometimes more bits are used for error detection and correction, and sometimes these bits are physically spread out so that they're still recoverable after minor damage.

Verbatim datalifeplus blurays. Inorganic dye rated for 100 years, scratch resistant hardcoat.

"inside" is a funny concept after 800 years.

you mean you don't own a robotic tape facility deep underground with redundant copies spread across the earth, and in orbit?

Attached: tapebackup.png (620x300, 128K)

Depends on your definition of "safe" I would say. I use M-Disc media for my archiving purposes, couldn't care less about having some multi-terabyte hard drive or SSD at this point, had too many fucking failures over the years with mechanical storage media.

With optical media, especially M-Disc, and the backup strategy I use I've never lost ANYTHING, not one fucking byte of data, for 20+ years now so I'm good to go for the future.

>not storing your data on giant stone tablets buried in a titanium vault, hundreds of meters tall, deep within the canadian shield
are you fucking poor

as far as speed goes though it's not the most efficient

Tape reels. UCAR/NCAR (University Corporation for Atmospheric Research/National Center for Atmospheric Research for non-Americans) uses them to store data. That was taken every 3 hours since the 90s. There are massive archives of just old tape reels storing weather data going back to the dawn of the internet, and very likely older than some of the people reading this right now. You youngsters want to know the weather at the moment of your birth at the location of your birth? We probably have that on record.

>you mean you don't own a robotic tape facility deep underground?
You mean your country doesn't have one? The reels are kept in a controlled environment, only accessible by sending commands to robotic arms so that they don't have to worry as much about the data being lost to degradation. Every few years they back things up onto, you guessed it, more tape reels.

>But why bother?
First off, do you have any idea how much data there is? Every three hours at minimum, they take a snapshot of atmospheric conditions at a station. Temperature, humidity, windspeed, pollutants, and composition of the ozone layer in some cases. Let's assume, for the sake of some easy math, that each snapshot takes up exactly 1 MB of space. We'll also ignore pointers and other auxiliary storage space for the time being, again for easier math.
>(1 MB/3 hours) * (24 hours/1 day) * (365.25 days/1 year) * (10 years/1 decade)
Crunching the numbers there, one station produces 29220 MB of data in a decade. Now multiply that by the thousands of stations globally also recording data. And now remember all that auxiliary storage stuff? Pointers and formatting? Let's say that adds another 10% to our storage. We're looking at, as a VERY low guess, about 32 TB every decade, for the past 3 decades at least. And that's not even counting all the other files they store, like research summaries and programs that utilize the data.
(1/2)

(2/2)
So what does that all add up to? They need storage that there's a lot of, can be easily read, and is cheap for what's stored. Tape reels are the answer, since they cost pennies per reel since no one uses them any more. Additionally, since they're analogue, not digitized, there's a much lower chance of unauthorized access, not to mention anyone who physically enters the storage area without properly preparing can ruin the information they're looking for by breathing too hard.

They do have digital backups, and naturally any data that's used frequently will show up in local caches, but the master copies are written in magnetic tape, stored underground, and read by robots. Welcome to Cyberpunk 2019.

Oral tradition. Make your data into a memorable song or story.

It's much easier to create redundant digital copies than to create redundant carved slabs of rock.

just store the data on rope. pleb

Attached: core rope memory.jpg (1139x1198, 412K)