What do you think is the best use you can give to the Express card for the thinkpad?

What do you think is the best use you can give to the Express card for the thinkpad?

Attached: cWESH9O.jpg (4031x3024, 845K)

People use that shit?

Usb 3.0 card

egpu

MFA as intended
Or what are you talking about?

Friggin' this

is this faster than usb?

its basically just a pcie slot

USB 3.0 slots are nice, could also get one with eSATA if you need that occasionally

Attached: AG6K_131989056993999102LybdA0fAdx.jpg (1280x960, 37K)

If it was basically a pcie slot then why weren't there external graphics card adapters back in the day for laptops when these slots were fairly common?

pcie2x

there are now.

What game also why you use a smart card reader pic.

There were, but there was little demand for them and they were slow and awkward.

I got both an eGPU and a USB 3.0 card and i find myself using the latter way more despite how it heats up for no reason meaning i have to have fans on full blast if i'm running anything heavy like an android emulator on my dusty ol' X201, the eGPU thing was fun to make hotpluggable on Linux though, it was a cool learning experience both from how the system works and xorg setups and drivers and bash scripting shenanigans
what is MFA?

multi-factor authentication

Not just credit cards, but smart cards. An example is a military Cac is needed for domain login.

As far as vendors go identiv is a big name in deploying smart card hardware for doors, PCs, etc.

Linux compatability with smart cards is USB only I've never seen a pcie smart card work on Linux, but last time I tried was months ago.

the new chinkpads already have two

because there was little demand for a product like that at the time

you can now sign official documents using your id card where i live so i guess.

Not necessarily firewire/i.link/iee1394 but it's always good to have more ports.

Attached: 81wIm9r7EdL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 101K)

Also SSDs

Attached: wintec-filemate-solidgo-expresscard-34-ssd-de-128-gb-D_NQ_NP_887266-MLC26476130763_122017-F.jpg (500x500, 35K)

Is expresscard bootable?

>USB 3.0 slots are nice
This is probably the best use case for the expresscard slot.

WHY THE FUCK DOESN'T SOME CHINK BRAND MAKE USB TYPE C EXPRESSCARD ADAPTERS?
ONE OF THE OFFICIAL IMPLEMENTATIONS IS LITERALLY JUST USB 3.0 WITH A DIFFERENT FUCKING CONNECTOR, BUT NO, NOT A SINGLE FUCKING TYPE C CARD
WHY? THERE'S FUCKING PCI TO PCI EXPRESS ADAPTERS SO I CAN FIT A FUCKING RTX 2080 IN SOME OLD PENTIUM 3 SHITBOX, THERE'S USB TYPE A TO TYPE C DONGLES, THERE'S GOD DAMN USB 2.0 HEADER TO TYPE C ADAPTERS, BUT AN EXPRESSCARD ADAPTER? NOPE, FUCK YOU. MOST MODERN CHEAPO PIECE OF SHIT LAPTOPS LITERALLY HAVE USB 3.0 ON A TYPE C, BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN GET THAT FOR YOUR PCIE EXPANSION-EQUIPPED MACHINE.

With coreboot, yes.

trannyboot no thanks

Attached: cat_talk.jpg (612x612, 65K)

Any laptops with 2 EC's so you get X4?

Coreboot ≠ Libreboot, you retard

Hack a MFRC522 in it and use it too clone access cards

>whoops another retarded Jow Forums poster
found the tranny

Attached: Capture.png (1082x670, 51K)

This.

Attached: serveimage (1).jpg (640x640, 70K)

i thought libreboot was just coreboot + tranny

Attached: 56dxpvnry9901.jpg (638x336, 32K)

2FA
I bought a Cherry Express Smart card reader and some cheap chink cards that by all my research seemed compatible, but I could never get a successful read/write/ID on them in GNU/Linux

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but it's been long so don't remember what program I was using or other specifics.

I think there are is some GNU open format cards floating around as well, would love to play around with those