How safe are VPN's? Won't they just log all your data and sell it?

How safe are VPN's? Won't they just log all your data and sell it?

Attached: 1470861863062.jpg (950x720, 393K)

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-no-logging-claims-tested-in-fbi-case-160312/
torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-no-logging-claims-proven-true-again-in-court-180606/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes

>Won't they just log all your data and sell it?
yes

yes

Me -> VPN1 -> VPN2 -> anime

VPN1 only see encrypted data. It knows who I am but doesn't know what I'm sending or where I'm sending it.

VPN2 knows what I'm sending but doesn't know who I am.

Anime website knows who I am (a loser) and knows what I'm sending (Satania lewds)

Why wouldn't they? What makes them different from ISPs and tech companies that create browsers and such?

Sometimes

>logless VPN service
>umm won't they just log all your data?
user if the service is unable to cooperate with the law to hand over your data how are they selling your data?
Do you honestly think they are going to risk jail time just to sell to advertisers?

>VPN1... doesn't know where I'm sending it.
how does it send it then

Well it's sending to VPN2, but I see his point. VPN2 can't see who he is, all they see is VPN1.

It sends it to VPN2, it doesn't know I'm connected to anime website

always assume the worst when the subject is privacy
>Won't they just log all your data and sell it
they will
or they'll get compromised
so make your own vpn on your own vps

If it is free to use, yeah they're probably logging everything for sale to third parties. If it is paid, depends on their terms of service and privacy policy. VPNs are a bit of a scam anyways, as no matter what your ISP will always know where the source is. Any supposed hacker would be able to differentiate incoming from outgoing traffic as well.

why do you think nordvpn is spending millions in advertisement while offering very cheap services?
it's a front for the NSA

It isn't necessarily cheap. $20 a month is a fair price for what they are offering in terms of matched speed and locations. Though every VPN out there is likely just a front for the NSA, just like Tor.

Just set up your own openvpn on a cheap vps somewhere.

At that point you might as well use tor

You forgot the part where VPN2's ISP has connections with VPN1's ISP and can jump from connection between VPN2 to VPN1 and then finally check VPN1's log to find your intial IP address.

VPN2 knows who you are, and VPN2 knows what you're doing.

Why not use Tor?
>inb4 tor is a botnet

But user, you can't inb4 facts. Why are you shilling for Homeland Defense and the NSA?

Forward data to a 3rd party.

Because he doesn't get paid to shill tor.

>How safe are VPN's?
Depends on what you use them for. A VPN probably won't keep you safe from the glowniggers (for that, you need a bunch of stuff). If, however, you wan't to keep the copyright jew off your back, a paid VPN might just protect you (if they say they keep no logs, and torrentfags are their core business)

Yes, send all your traffic to just one VPS that only you connect to. What could possibly go wrong. A trustworthy vpn will tell you when their server is seized or being monitored so you can avoid it. A VPS provider wont tell you anything and you will be in the dark.

Nord is spending half a million on ads every month ONLY on CNN. Imagine how much they are spending across all TV channels. P in VPN stands for Private so using the most popular,most shilled one is probably the dumbest thing you can do. Nord is anything but private which is the purpose of a VPN in the first place.

Attached: 2018-08-28-09_57_15-Here-Are-the-Biggest-Advertisers-on-Fox-News-CNN-and-MSNBC-_-TVNewser-300x180.pn (300x180, 22K)

SHA hashes are from the NSA. Better avoid those too, schizo!

I mean, if they designed them they've probably also made sure to design a decryption algorithm for them.

Apartment > Rpi VPN hidden 2 blocks away > VPN

glowing

But on their FAQ they said they DON'T do that why wouldn't I trust them even though there are multiple cases of VPNs doing just this?

Attached: 1561836423909.jpg (290x274, 49K)

How did you open a port for the pi on presumably a connection that isn't yours? Default credentials?

>Nord is anything but private which is the purpose of a VPN in the first place.
The purpose of a VPN is to let you remotely access computer networks as if they were part of your LAN.

Best VPN for Linux? Looking for decent speeds, privacy and no logging.

Host your own, hop over multiple VPS services if you feel it neccesary.
Stronswan if you want boomer tier support with win7, OpenVPN if you don't mind getting your hands dirty for a better experience and WireGuard if you are a gnumale who programs in python and want the "easiest experience".

The point of a purchased VPN*

Overkill as a proxy. If you need a proxy for torrenting just use a proxy. You're giving one company control over your entire connection.
I don't the point here, there are encrypted proxies.

It's legal to pozz people with your tranny faggot penis. No need to hide it anymore. I assume your image is related.

>gnumale
I'm literally shaking right now

What if he is the server, and the rPi is the client?

Want to avoid being logged? Turn off your computer, cancel your service with the ISP, and never come back. It is the only way.

Could it work that way? Good to know, only ever have tried this with connections I control.

The real redpill is:
TailsOS (connected to Router with DoT) -> VPN -> Other VPN

No one will be able to find you. No one will hear your screams.

DoT?

Dns-over-tls. Dns-over-https is also good. As is dnscrypt.

Tor -> private random botnet "VPN" service -> exit

>there are multiple cases of VPNs doing just this
Prove it.

PureVPN,IPVanish, Hidemyass

Opera's free VPN also admits to collecting and sharing data (like all free VPNs).

of course

So... Tor. But paid.

Idiot.

>Nord is spending half a million on ads every month ONLY on CNN.
because CNN is on loop at airports, and is a lefty boomer news network of choice since it started. having ads on CNN is perfect for them since they will get millions of well off idiots to subscribe and then forget they ever subscribed get auto renewed forever. like how trashy people have 57 different facebook accounts because they are too fucking stupid to remember their passwords or how to use password recovery.

Ive seen their ads on other stations too with the same volume

standard cable networks right? the kind of channels you would flip through at the hotel?they are advertising to the basic white bitch segment of the market. they're making themselves seem boutique, like apple did. its a true meme.

Safe enough ;)
torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-no-logging-claims-tested-in-fbi-case-160312/
torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-no-logging-claims-proven-true-again-in-court-180606/

Ever hear of Silk Road? Look up "Dread Pirate Robert". Among other poor opsec choices he used HideMyAss, which did not hide his ass when the US Government came knocking.

Apparently the new meme is to just use whonix and no VPN.

But can you safely use whonix on windows 10=

>the most popular,most shilled one is probably the dumbest thing you can do
It's actually the smartest thing you can do, because it fucks tracking algorithms and makes it less likely you can be singled out

Why not just use your neighbors wifi?
If you really need to, add Tor.

Unless you're a country lad with nothing around for miles

Attached: HMMM.jpg (905x881, 266K)

Because that's illegal and im not a nigger?

Die, pedo.

>Streaming anime
>Not illegal or a nigger
nice try

>implying i stream anime instead of purchasing it
Nice try, FBI

Unless you use VPN services from different countries, preferably countries which doesn't like each other. (Like US and Russia)

it sends it do vpn2 but it doesn't know where it goes after that, it could be fucking anywhere

>Satania lewds
well fucking post them user

>Anime website knows who I am (a loser) and knows what I'm sending (Satania lewds)
Love your sense of humour.

VPNs are the biggest scams in the security/privacy space. All your traffic gets logged by this one company (which actively need to track individual users in order to ensure their users all have paid up). And even if the company has good intentions, a hacker or nation state just needs to breach this one company and thousands of user's browsing data is available.

There are 2 use cases where you'd actually want to use a VPN:
1. Some sites are blocked in your country
2. You're using public Wi-Fi and you're unable to use HTTPS for whatever you want to do (which leaves you vulnerable to MitM attacks from other people on the same network). In this case you're better off setting up your own VPN server at home instead of wasting money on a paid service.

VPNs aren't even good for privacy since most sites rely on browser fingerprinting rather than IP. Use Tor if you want to hide your identity.

Drats, you haven't seen the last of me!

I want to nakadashi ferris

I want to fuck him so hard.

i diagnose you with the big dumb :(

Does your VM have a new MAC everytime you fire it up though?

>Jow Forums
>not setting up your own chain of VPSes
This board's average IQ is lower than Jow Forums's

You can rent a VPS for $5/month and host your own.

What is a good VPN for someone who doesn't want to do anything illegal, just wanting to protect myself from greedy corporations, and to find some obscure stuff.

>thinking algorithms are this primitive
Hahaha no.

AirVPN

hahahaha yes

faggot

expressvpn, their servers got seized in turkey and they were proven on their no logs and ramdisk server crap

their speeds are pretty good too.

I use it to avoid copyright claims. I torrent a lot.

Why do you think a VPN would need to "actively track" individual users? The one I use just has a number for my account and an expiration date. I can pay into that number to add more time. I can even send them cash for the account if I wanted.

Advising using Tor alone to hide your identity is pretty laughable, considering you're worried about nation states becoming aware of your browsing habits.

I got an ExpressVPN code off ebay for 5 bucks with 293 days left and it just ended. Was awesome

To governments, foreign relations may matter. But to private companies? They don't care. They'll just buy the information off the other company, which is how they make money anyways.

Thanks!

This

facts

Unironically do not use sha for security. Torvalds confirmed this in git.

So AES?

Your ISP will know that you sent some packets, but they won't know what's in it. And we all are sending/receiving packets all day.

>There are 2 use cases where you'd actually want to use a VPN:
>1. Some sites are blocked in your country
>2. You're using public Wi-Fi and you're unable to use HTTPS for whatever you want to do (which leaves you vulnerable to MitM attacks from other people on the same network). In this case you're better off setting up your own VPN server at home instead of wasting money on a paid service.
I'm #2 except no home to use a VPN with. I have to use public wifi whenever I can't use my mobile connection, which ends up being just about every other day. I'm still trying to figure out which VPN to use.
>hear PIA is good
>they hired that bitcoin scammer to run their network
>hear NordVPN is good
>they're just Hola pedos under a new name
It's been a depressing hunt for a VPN. I don't even care about illegal torrenting. No logs would be nice though.

SHA is hash, AES is symmetric encryption. Apples and oranges

probably maybe yeah

I was thinking of RSA. I was way off

Attached: EAhZ9VLXYAA_mIO.jpg (1024x538, 98K)

What would actually happen if you get caught torrenting from a vps? They write to the provider and they forward it to you and ban your account right?

so it's Tor, but you're-
>Sataniafag

checks out, carry on.

Implying he didn't gave you the password during a party