Google Chrome is the new Internet Explorer 6. It's the early 2000s all over again

Google Chrome is the new Internet Explorer 6. It's the early 2000s all over again.

There are *two* major browser families still alive: Chromium-based and Firefox-based. One is owned by Google, and the other one only survives thanks to Google's donations.

You are fools if you believe Mozilla has any independence. The moment they do something Google does not like, they will pull the plug, and Firefox will be dead.

And you are fools if you think Google will not force Mozilla to ban ad-blockers. They *will* because they *can*.

Google completely owns the web now. And, like Microsoft did, they will let it rot.

Attached: 450_1000.jpg (450x287, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S71999588#p72000897
zdnet.com/article/opera-brave-vivaldi-to-ignore-chromes-anti-ad-blocker-changes-despite-shared-codebase/
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=728429
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

oh that's a shitty analogy
internet exploder wasn't hated because it was popular, it was hated because it was deeply integrated into windows and as such you had extreme security vulnerabilities and could get a virus from loading a damn jpg

Mozilla gets the majority of their income from Yandex and Baidu, plus there are other alternatives to Google. They're also exploring independent revenue sources.

Or do you literally think Google gives Mozilla a half a billion dollars per year?

Isn't Falkon neither Chromium nor FF based?Anyways, let's do a hypothetical here:

Suppose I wanted to make a web browser with something akin to umatrix built in. Also suppose I know a bit of C++, am studying QT, and have mind-numbing autism. Where would I start? What would I have to learn in order to do this?

Idunno about that, I've seen for myself Chromes extentions being abused to take over the browser and start opening up pop ups an changing the search engine. Probably also keylog and monitor user activity.

the difference is that Chrome is actually (1) fast, (2) feature-rich, and most importantly (3) secure

shit bait 2/10

>the difference is that Chrome is actually (1) fast, (2) feature-rich, and most importantly (3) secure
Lol. Just wait until Google has the monopoly

Those can't be installed without the user's knowledge and they can't forcibly reinstall themselves if you try to delete them unless you have some kind of unrelated virus, in which case you got bigger problems than browser extensions.

> secure
do you unironically believe this?

what is safari based of?

Attached: 1563815192234.jpg (1275x966, 116K)

retard trannie

not an argument

Attached: freetards in charge of security.png (897x705, 10K)

It's based off of two dudes having sex.

boomer chrome

Attached: firefox_QeEWrLh1CA.png (271x558, 18K)

So what's the best alternative to the two?

I thought webkit was deprecated?

>only survives thanks to Google's donations.
>only
We've been over this before, user. That's not how it works. If google stops paying to be the default search engine then another company would gladly step in to be the default. This has happened in the past.

warosu.org/g/thread/S71999588#p72000897

Attached: 1536547438525.jpg (1570x1536, 396K)

There are none. Maybe Netsurf (lmfao).

Nope.

Dilate

What about Dooble browser?

No it's Chrome. It uses the blink engine same as chrome.

Google saying 'don't be evil' is like a wannabe unibomber jumping infront of a news crew and saying 'don't bomb datacenters'. Bringing up the topic is encouragement in itself.

>ie
no built in av
no ad blocker
>chrome
quality protection from shit plugins
antivirus
adblocker
non microshit development
constantly updated

>And you are fools if you think Google will not force Mozilla to ban ad-blockers. They *will* because they *can*
Dunno about Mozilla, but didn't 3rd party Chromium browsers said they won't be integrating this bullshit? zdnet.com/article/opera-brave-vivaldi-to-ignore-chromes-anti-ad-blocker-changes-despite-shared-codebase/

>constantly updated
By a company known for its willingness to create a community and then abandon it.

At least Chromium being open source allows for things like Ungoogled Chromium to exist. There was never any Unmicrosofted IE.

for all the shit ie got everyone forgets that the competition sucked dick in comparison. It was genuinely good at the time

>internet exploder wasn't hated because it was popular,
Yes it absolutely was. You had to adapt sites for it up until the last couple of years it was outdated and quirky. Business and institutions would make sites only for IE.

It was a problem because it was the default and therefor popular.

>adblocker
Yeah not for long. And with the others, it's much more likely to hold it's monopoly. making it WORSE than IE.

>much stronger sandbox than ff
>higher quality codebase
>less severe cves discovered despite ff switching to rust and being less well studied
i dont have to believe it because its fact

If they kill firefox linux users will fork it. That's why they're so afraid to kill firefox is they don't want linux users to fork it and use the fork. Cough cough... icecat.. cough...

Posting test from 3 years ago...

"A side-channel attack utilizing branch target buffer was demonstrated to bypass ASLR protection. In 2017, an attack named "ASLR⊕Cache" was demonstrated which could defeat ASLR in a web browser using JavaScript."

Shit test, ASLR is enabled from nearly 7 years in Firefox - bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=728429

You try developing and maintaining a web browser, it's not exactly they task of some sole developer.

Fallon is Blink-based.
Blink is an engine, different from Chromium. None of the Chromium code is used, only Blink.

ie6 had market share well into the 2010's even though it was officially obsoleted in 2006. it wasn't popular because it was good, it was popular because it was installed on everyone's computers and at that point in time boomers were still proudly tech illiterate

Attached: pale moon.png (1920x1080, 262K)

Iv switched to Palemoon - it works surprisingly well (unlike many other meme and old small browsers) and eats far less ram
plus its very similar to FF so you dont feel right at home

and fuck goolag/alphabet monopoly, they have to be split

and todays generation of phone zombies is equally bad - they will never bother using alternative software or services

>similar to FF so you dont feel right at home
oops I meant to say you dont have to relearn the software

I don't understand why it matters if chrome went away or even firefox. Couldn't you just fork the last best release and maintain it? Aren't browser updates (save security updates) just bloat at this point? People say google owns the internet but that is untrue. They don't own the upstream routers do they? Do they own the actual infrastructure? This is just a short sighted fear mongering thread made by a zoomer isn't it?

see all the small browsers - maintaining browser up to date is very time/resource consuming and they suffer from compatibility issues and being slow - because goolag intentionally makes other browsers unusable with their ubiquitous services (this literally killed Opera and forced Edge to become just a chromium fork)

> all that reddit spaces
hard to take it seriously

Make a browser that renders html+css and ignore js, and even then there's still a lot of bloat you need to implement by yourself.

why do we even need browsers in the first place?

It also just sucked in features.
We didn't have fucking tabs for the longest time. That's why I switched to ff.

Good luck to the poor ten or twelve autists that would try to mantain a project as big as Firefox.

>using paragraphs is reddit spacing

but you put your trust into some guy on the internet, you are supposed to trust he patches for security properly
he has nothing to lose basically if he fucks up and his users get their pc's owned by some exploit, mozilla on the other hand dont and it would hurt them massively