I hate flat design. Buttons should look like buttons. All UI elements bounds should be clearly defined...

I hate flat design. Buttons should look like buttons. All UI elements bounds should be clearly defined. Icons should be crisp and colorful for the purpose of icons is to be instantly recognizable. Fuck you zoomer cucks for ruining GUI design forever.

Attached: win95.png (640x480, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/SerenityOS/serenity
toastytech.com/guis/os220.html
stopthemingmy.app/
guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/full
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it was a designer working at apple inc.

(^:

Fuck off, wintoddler. You don't get to have a say, you forfeited it when you decided to use a proprietary OS.

How about GTK2 then?

Attached: 9ed34708e1f543bc1b9053490e89f93ee2c0.png (1437x832, 255K)

What about it?

Haaaaaa you broke bitch. By buttons were made by people who get paid $200K/yr to do UI work. That's a right bitch I got a Macbook because I'm so fucking RICH! Every year I just shred my drive and give it to charity because I upgrade EVERY FUCKING YEAR! I mean Jesus Christ if you down here complaining about buttons n' shit then Mabey you should make yourself more marketable and get a better job and buy some actual real equipment that doesn't require you to dick with shit every couple of days. Yeah bro I got the appleID and everything tied together because I FUCKS WITH THE FUTURE!

Attached: kjdfngldfngdfkjln.jpg (500x281, 22K)

Vista was peak UI

Attached: GLASS.png (1600x1200, 1.79M)

>Windows Explorer still forgets your view settings to this day
>A bug that exists since Vista
The best UI was WinXP.

I don't know why but
This.

i wish i could find an OS that had a GUI just like windows 9x. it was the perfect combination of usability and soul

for me, its NT 5.0

For real, is there any artistic philosophy that isn't flat design or material design?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (996x1000, 177K)

Win2k was my most enjoyable Windows experience /flat/ out

and when you thought flat was bad
they remove the colors too
fuck all of this shit

Attached: img.png (578x436, 107K)

the entire 9x/NT line was god tier with aesthetics tbqh

Attached: openstep42.png (1024x768, 118K)

this looks like goddamn concept art

I've been saying that since they first rolled out Windows 8, it still looks like concept art to me

github.com/SerenityOS/serenity
user is making one

>grey everywhere
>sharp 90 degree angles
why? my eyes hurt

you are right, looking at the new control panel, there's no consistency and it looks bland / prototypish

stupid question, but will it have the OG windows logo? it was comfy

I like elementary OS's philosophy. Their icons are mainly flat, but they add small lights and shadows to make them more vivid. Same with buttons and windows.

Attached: 1560364395310.png (2742x1900, 368K)

9x/2k=XP>vista>7>powergap>8.1>8>10

Plebeians. Skeuomorphic designs are where it’s at

Attached: F0223ABD-2259-4C87-836B-ECB3CDB62416.png (467x447, 301K)

Are there any good open source icon repos?

Attached: BD42DB2B-90E5-4D0A-8FE4-B90971CCCDE9.jpg (880x495, 84K)

Attached: gp6napd7bm8z.png (1920x1080, 1.01M)

>looking at the new control panel
WHICH ONE

Some nerds at IBM did a ton of research for OS/2's UI and thought that this was the design that was the least obnoxious design possible

>If it looks dull, that is because it is supposed to be. OS/2 was heavily criticized by the drooling masses because the appearance was simple and dull. What they failed to comprehend was that IBM had subjected OS/2 to heavy international acceptance testing (you might be surprised that the smallest unintentional thing can be offensive to a certain culture), accessibility testing (such as usability for the color blind), and legal review.

toastytech.com/guis/os220.html

look up Chicago95

They are going toward making it more consistent, but on the only hand it looks fucking ugly -- I want the colors back!
It started awhile ago. The fucking Windows 7 tray icons are that white minimal shit. I've been meaning to edit my registry to change them back but I'm too scared.

Attached: cde15solaris9.png (1024x768, 45K)

>look up Chicago95
damn, thats pretty cool.
now im actually going to have to contemplate switching to Ubuntu

>WHICH ONE
win10

for example in the accessibility category every option with sliders behaves slightly different, and a bummer that they did away with the win32 native fields in most places, was useful for coyping info

I would use classic but it's impossible to be productive without DWM hardware accelerated desktop

I meant that there were two new ones. The "Windows 10" one, and I remember there being a second one in Windows 8

I'd rather be offended than bored to death

I had to search for screenshots because I forgot it completely... it didn't even have icons!

>Jean-Marie Hullot died last month

Attached: g27kcmo.jpg (658x662, 73K)

fukken love reason

God said grey everywhere
God said sharp 90 degree angles

Attached: 220px-Terry_Davis_2017.jpg (220x202, 16K)

Nope, fuck that OSX shit.

OS these days are such bloatware and they can't give us a decent UI.

No resources for you. Flat buttons for a resource a hog because it all goes to their botnet.

The ironic thing is that modern flat shit runs on elaborate raster skin engines that used to display all that shiny crap. It's all bitmaps with huge empty areas. They just repainted Vista.

I thought it was really bad. Like they tried to include all the effects they could and the result was an abomination.

Transparent window borders wasn't a bad idea, actually. Overall, Win7 design is pretty solid. They should've just made it the MS "trademark" UI and kept polishing it instead of going full flat retard.

fuck Gnome
fuck GTK3

flat style is what new era simpsons feels like

>I want buttons
Then get a customisable keyboard?
Seriously. We need programmable keyboards which you can set programs to and also display the name of the program it represents. That would be sick.

Here you go.

Attached: 538D7E37-CC1F-4941-BAED-8C9394E780E0.png (1920x1080, 751K)

I'd like a magenta/red/blue colour display. Would be kino.

Attached: optimus-popularis-shop.jpg (600x513, 88K)

cyborg detected.

No I meant a keyboard that has an individual display in each key, so you don't need to replace keys. The keys would display the function electronically.

Are you fucking retarded? That is exactly what's on the picture.

wew.
I thought they were stickers.
How the fuck?

Attached: 1562947858175.jpg (540x443, 29K)

there was a fucking classic mode, literally peak design

Why not Win7 though?

Attached: AESTHETICS.png (1366x2308, 1.35M)

>9x
>not a classic
???

win2k literally looks like win98 but with a different shade if grey, different shade of blue for titlebar and different icons
that's all
win2k is peak classic theme

imho i liked 98's icons better.

Why is it that modern ui's can't have more than 3 words on the screen at once? I fucking hate this.

Zoomers can't read.

Attached: baby-iphone.jpg (640x360, 20K)

windows 95's "3D" ui
has not been topped to this day

without the top as a reference, i would not have guessed the second row were tabs
flat is one thing, but removing boundaries and colours turns something ugly into something just plain unusable (and ugly)
seriously, who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

98s was an improvement by virtue of having better colors

They don't give a shit about usability, they just want it to look hip and "clean" on screenshots.

It's harder to understand these dumb ass hieroglyphs that don't resemble anything close to what their function is and lack tool tips. Bring back text and real menus for fuck sakes.

this is the reason why i still use gtk2 versions of things wherever possible
maybe i should just try and make a gtk3 version of Crux myself

Attached: 2019-07-30-181536_588x474_scrot.png (588x474, 52K)

> i should just try and make a gtk3 version of Crux myself

yeah good luck rewriting it from scratch every month
there is a reason GTK theme scene ceased to exist

is that why there doesn't seem to be any good gtk3 themes?

it is not a windows clone. it's basically a mix of 90s interfaces in a new operating system

The fault lies with the fact that Microsoft shilled Windows tablets for years and then Apple comes along and makes people actually buy tablets by making them cheaper and using a phone UI that's actually suited for touchscreens so Microsoft decides to put a phone UI on Windows so people will finally buy Windows tablets.

Slightly rounded corners are better.

Attached: serveimage.gif (640x480, 10K)

it's not new, they have clear keycaps and a little lcd. these keyboards have been around for a number of years.

Yeah, they're breaking GTK3 every so often because they don't their "apps" being themed.

well fuck them, i don't even use gnome

stopthemingmy.app/

ok well that’s pretty cool then

They wanted to get rid of theming altogether at some point, backed down because of the shitstorm.

> App Icons are the identity of an app. Changing an app’s icon denies the developer the possibility to control their brand.

fuck off

> boo hoo I hardcode colors

>Write FOSS
>Complain when people modify it slightly

What an infuriating wall of retarded bullshit.

> Maintainer of Games
> Maintainer of Organizer
> Maintainer of Authenticator
> Maintainer of Lollypop, Eolie, and Passbook
> Core contributor to Fractal
> Maintainer of Fractal and Timetrack
> Maintainer of Password Safe
> Maintainer of Gradio/Shortwave, Fragments, and Remotely
> Author of FeedReader and NewsFlash
> Maintainer of Podcasts
> Core contributor to Fractal, maintainer of Teleport
> Maintainer of UberWriter
> Maintainer of Geary
> Designer of Fragments and Podcasts (among others)
> Maintainer of Icon Preview
> The Pitivi Developers

I use 7 every day and think it's amazing UI wise but the one thing that bugs me is the fuck-huge window borders. Windows 10's windows look a lot nicer IMO. I realise you can change the border size on 7 but it just doesn't look right when you set it to minimum

Fug that's nice

Win10 settings menu is the worst thing ever! Is there a way to open classic control panel from tray icon context menus, like network for example?

In a way, it makes me hopeful, because when GNOME people have their head this far up the ass, it means Linux users will get onto other DEs

Enjoy: guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/full

Attached: irix53-1-1.png (1280x1024, 36K)

*cums*

Attached: irix53-1-5.png (1280x1024, 52K)

Attached: qnx621-1-2.png (1024x768, 257K)

Haha, just noticed most of them are not even authors but "maintainers".

Attached: croraline-meritocracy.jpg (1199x667, 164K)

it used to be in the Start button right click menu, you can open it from Win+R with "control panel" or by searching the start menu for control panel still
not convenient but that's the only way I know currently (on 1809)

Yeah I ususally start+search for the control panel element I want to open. Fuck phone UIs on desktop.

I want to go back. (Early OS X was alright too)

Attached: about-mac-os-9.png (800x600, 13K)

agreed, vista is very good

skeuomorphic design

these might work well for stuff like daws or anything that wants to emulate some piece of equipment but generally speaking these just look way too cluttered and shit like those knobs are a pain to use with a mouse/ keyboard

after shitton of updates, it was proper system, but normies had bad taste in their mouths so Vista was big NO NO

>ruby hero

cringe

>I hate flat design.
I like flat design.

It's true, Vista the comfy.