/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Minimum 30-60fps gaming. The stronger 3400G sells for $150. (R3K APUs OCs better than R2K)
>R5 2600 - 60fps+ gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOL, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>(GTX 1660TI @ ~$230/Vega56 @ ~$270) - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 75-100FPS+
>RX 5700XT - higher fps
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 non-XT blower is alright, due to low power.

General
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important for gaming
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>Don't use Speccy
>Don't trust sites which rank CPUs by arbitrary, obfuscated scores (eg userbenchmark, passmark, cpuboss)
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors + SSD Guide under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: 1564110440763.png (728x380, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7AbNeht4tAE
youtube.com/watch?v=ke3OnFlOUnI
youtube.com/watch?v=CCqxE-5Ct3w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rate my new AMD build

Attached: 05093321420l.jpg (1920x953, 1003K)

Anyone here know if the Asus VP28UQG is Gsync compatible? I want a 2080, but if adaptive sync isn't working i'll go AMD.

Fuck it, i have actually noticed a few odd slowdowns. Ill take your advice and full reinstall.
What folders and shit can i backup (copy, then just paste back into new installation) to get my new windows as close as possible to the current one quickly/easy.
I get all programs will have to be reinstalled (ill just write a list of programs i have i guess). But i want my current pirated games to 'just work' and have their saves (main files are on other drives).

daily reminder that 3600 gives only 20% better fps over 2600 at 75% bigger price

Pls no
Just ordered my 3600 today

better get a 2600 now and upgrade to 3700x or 4700 in a couple of years

No, it gives 30% better in some cases.
And that difference is the difference between bottlenecking higher end GPUs or not. I wouldn't pair a 2600 with more than a 1080/5700 at 1080p.
$200 is still really cheap and more than Intel was giving for $350 for years.

why shouldn't I get the cheapest SSD per GB?

Do GPUs have the same auto OCing shenanigans as the CPUs do now or will I need to manually OC 5700 XT to bullshit levels when AiB comes out?

Attached: c85.jpg (750x734, 80K)

>No, it gives 30% better in some cases
lol only case is assassin creed odyssey 1080p
rest fluctuate between 15% and 20%

>And that difference is the difference between bottlenecking higher end GPUs or not.
no one plays with a 2080ti
average individual wont see this best case scenario 30%fps because the average individual will be gpu bottlenecked before being cpu bottlenecked and this gap is even smaller at 1440p
better invest these $ in a better gpu or save it to go 8c/12t instead of wasting it in this sidegrade

based and redpilled

Is the difference between the RX 580 4GB and 8GB solely memory or is it weaker like how the 1060 6GB was flat out stronger over the 3GB model?
Is there any reason why to buy the 8GB model if so, since I don’t think the 580 could use all that memory effectively to begin with?

Attached: 06885CB6-C71C-4359-BDB3-576AF24FC5AA.jpg (805x1104, 127K)

so you finna tell me that its pointless upgrading from my 2600 at 1440p 60fps, and that only my gpu (1070 should be upgraded for the foreseeable future?

checks some benchmarks for yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=7AbNeht4tAE
youtube.com/watch?v=ke3OnFlOUnI
1070 isn't going to cut it at 1440p in the near future

$110 for an Optiplex 3010 with:
i5 3470
8GB
GTX 560 Ti
120GB SSD
735W Raidmax RX-735AP PSU (doesn't look terrible from JonnyGuru)
With a 20" 1050p monitor

Decent?

it's nice for the price but i sure hope you don't intend to play recent games with it

>2.064 V

Attached: totally_normal.jpg (810x595, 259K)

4gb is no 'weaker'
A few games will be pushing at the edge of 4gb. Doom i think, mirrors edge 2 and a couple others wont let you run highest textures at all. A few others might let you run them but if try and have some of the other VRAM eating settings as well you will impact performance a bit, by maxing out the 4gb. But you are generally right that its not too different, for 'most' games.
If you plan to keep it for even just a year or two though, i'd recommend the 8gb as the amount of games pushing the 4gb is only going to rise. Also if you like to/want to graphics mod skyrim/fallout, as cramming 4k textures in can fill it up fast.
In the end its really depends on how much extra it costs and how soon you think you'd upgrade.

lmao? of course what the hell made you think otherwise.
For just 60fps, you are going to be hard pressed to find games which need more than the 2600 for many years to come.
3600 is massive overkill if all you're doing is 60fps.

As long as you don't plan to upgrade it, just as-is for $110 I think that's okay. And like the other user said, as long as you don't plan to play recent games on it. Anything newer than 2012 or 2013, you're pretty screwed.

>only
Rocket League, LoL, CSGO, and some others get massive gains with Zen2.

Because it's probably QLC NAND.

>no one plays with a 2080ti
There are GPUs in between the 1080/5700 and the 2080Ti which very well may be used at 1080p. 3600+5700XT is a good 1080p combo.

So the 3600 is only around 5-10 fps quicker than my 2600 at 1440p. The 3600 seems like a rip off for people who play 1440p lmao.

>2v
>on 7nm
How the fuck is that CPU not dead?

Your post better illustrates how retarded it is that people get a 9700k or 9900k, especially at 1440p. There's a much bigger difference between the 2600 and 3600, with the 3600 usually being all you need to not be CPU bottlenecked at 1440p, than there is a difference between the 3600 and 9700k.

Because it's a monitoring error, and the person who spams that knows that, and he's probably that ban evader, but for some reason he's able to keep spamming it every thread for days now.

>it's a monitor error REEEEEE
>amd is perfect!!!!

Attached: what_the_fuck.png (491x516, 77K)

any 5700 non xt owners here?
how's reliability? are the drivers fixed yet?
I'd like to get one but I honestly don't want to be constantly troubleshooting and waiting a year for my card to stop having issues like I didnt with my vega56

>1.86

Yeah using a version of CPU-Z one year older than the CPU you're monitoring with it is wise.

Out of the box zen2 compatible x470 and b450 mobos when?

Bought one day 1
Besides the temperature and noise which were horrendous, drivers were also shit and had to find an older less shit version that actually works
Returned it, bought a 2070s which it's miles ahead and have a calm mind now

Newfag here, is logicalincrements reliable?

>I'd like to get one but I honestly don't want to be constantly troubleshooting and waiting a year for my card to stop having issues like I didnt with my vega56
That's only possible when AMD has the 5700xt's launch issue settled i.e. when the card is a year old

no

It's retarded. At a certain point it recommends going from 1x 2080ti -> 2x 2080

>it's the versions fault!!!
Your cope is showing

better get a 8core 12 thread if you want to see bigger performances at 1440p

just got a Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB Pulse for £153/$186, used (for 2 weeks, was a temporary card supposedly)

that's a good fucking deal right? all the other ones I could find were around £210 and more
should be compatbile with a P350X case and an ASUS VC239H from what I've researched

Attached: 7a889f36a2858489dd3fa041d00145b1.1600.jpg (1600x1200, 125K)

>bolded totally normal
>TWO fucking times
If this isn't damage control, I'm not sure what is!

Attached: 1530217405826.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

kys

Yeah, I'm planning on upgrading to a 3700 in the future for 1440p 60fps when newer games become even more demanding.

Yes absolutely. It's not like he sold it because it has coil whine or anything.

My little sister needs a new PC. The FX-4100 and GT210 combo I threw together for her 7+ years ago isn't cutting it anymore. She does plain browsing, some Minecraft, and occasionally the Sims, all at 1080p. All Microcenter prices.

R5-2600 + ASrock B450 Pro4 = $175
Or
I5-9400f + ASrock B360 Pro4 = $200

I'll be waiting it with an old 980Ti and 16GB 2400MHz ram kit I have laying around. Stability and dependability are a must as she uses the PC for school when she's not using her T420

wait for zen 3 unironically

man this is what worries me
From a price:performande standpoint the 5700 is the fucking godcard but its like they just release it then rest on their laurels as if nothing ever goes wrong
I want to buy this so badly but amd always pulls this kinda shit on release and Im honestly getting kinda tired of it
if the issues arent resolved by the time Im ordering then I might just go with a low end 2060 super or something

Attached: xoUmpi.jpg (1600x1000, 296K)

Is it better to get a 1TB m.2 and skip the 2.5'' ssd or get both? it's getting tight on my budget for the gpu.

>1TB m.2 and skip the 2.5'' ssd or get both?
Elaborate?
>it's getting tight on my budget for the gpu.
Prioritize gpu first if gaming

2600 is far better than 9400f due to hyperthreading
plus it's cheaper

you're dealing with concernshills my newfag friend
don't get any advice from Jow Forums and expect it not to be either a blatant lie or an exageration

>I wouldn't pair a 2600 with more than a 1080/5700 at 1080p
Even that's cutting it pretty close, especially if you're not playing at max settings. An example would be Hitman 2, where according to gamegpu (you can search for it), an R5 2600 exactly matches the average framerate with a 2060 at 1080p

either will be more than fine, so i'd say save the money and go ryzen and make sure you get a proper PSU, preferably seasonic

If it works with my b450 mortar I'll happily do that.

Check it ouuuuut boooysss!

Attached: autism.jpg (1717x881, 399K)

>Stability and dependability
Intel obviously

glad I fell for the 2700 meme

>sanding and polish
That's pretty autism

looked it up, seems like it's barely an issue and when it is people are playing at 100+ fps, I'm staying at a cool 60fps

Always go Nvidia unless you're desperate.
I went AMD through 6770/6850/7870, and once I switched back to Nvidia with a GTX 970 and 1060 a host of tiny issues just disappeared.
A system that really works perfectly is worth it.

It's either a 1TB m.2 ssd now or a 500GB m.2 ssd now and a 1TB 2.5'' for september.
as for the gpu, it's either a vega 56/2060 super now or an aib 5700 if I wait a bit.

Close relatives don't let each other use off-brand processors. Buy Intel.

Attached: 1547353803487.jpg (1440x1080, 42K)

It's only cheaper by $15, and even then she's not going to be doing anything that will really stress 12 threads
I have a Seasonic 620w Bronze M2II I got for cheap
Dunno if trolling. But it's a concern for me because I will 99.9% be leaving the state soon, and I don't want her to have a PC that will require a BIOS flash to fix an issue or anything like that. That or thermal issues due to high voltage that /pcbg/ keeps saying Ryzen has.

If you don't mind annoying loud ticking noise when your pc is open, sure.

>thinks he understands the depths of autism when he sees the very edge of the event horizon
I have made near 200 images of before after, paste applications, pressure distributions, temps and so on, have literally 8-9 folders with images and shit about this

Do you believe you'll benefit from m.2 nvme? Or do you want it mainly for its small form factor?
Your gaming experience would be better with a >$400 5700XT + 1tb 2,5" than
>V56 + 1tb nvme
Heck, with your savings you can step up to a
>2070S + 1tb 2.5"

>nocuta
Good result, though.

Just get a 1TB SSD now. 2.5" or m.2 doesn't matter.

try number three, tweaked minor things.
already have an ssd so no need to tell me this time.

>why no 1660ti
because it's 100 euros more and i plan on getting a better one in a year or two since this will be more than enough for now since i have a 1080p monitor
>why no K CPU
also plan on replacing it when i replace the 1660 since the K versions are also about 100 euros more
>HDD
i literally just wanted a WD one and i have no clue what i'm doing here
>power supply
also completely at random, just picked one that has a good price to it
>motherboard
this one was tough and after doing some research i found out that this one had pretty good reviews. this could also change with time since as far as i know i need a Z mobo for overclocking the Ks

how'd i do?

Attached: hdfghdfgh.png (1168x622, 81K)

iv used plastic and metal washers, I have sanded the HBM and chip area to be a different height to compensate for the manfufacturing flaw of the package being uneven, I have flipped around different fans in every possible combination and recording results, autism does not begin to describe it

Attached: 4.jpg (5301x2089, 2.63M)

>Dunno if trolling. But it's a concern for me because I will 99.9% be leaving the state soon, and I don't want her to have a PC that will require a BIOS flash to fix an issue or anything like that. That or thermal issues due to high voltage that /pcbg/ keeps saying Ryzen has.
Zen+ is pretty mature so you'll probably be fine. Same deal with Intel. You should never consider Ryzen 3000 as it is a clusterfuck in terms of reliability in its (((current state)))

gpu gave boost if thats what you meab

nocuta performs far better than kryonaut.
The only good thing kryonaut is good at is sub zero temps, unless you plan to do that, or god forbid you plan to have high temps like 80-90C then kryonaut degrades within days and adds another 2-4C on top of it's already worse temps (by 2-4C more than nocuta/mx-4)

Attached: kryonaut is good goy, just buy more of it, surely it was user error, try another 20 applications.jpg (2096x5376, 2.34M)

>i5-8400
>$199
Is this a joke? Canadian/Australian prices or something?
>1660 for $230
>Gigabyte GPU
You can get a 1660Ti for that
>euros
Put it in the correct pricing you retard, it has dollar signs there.

for the anons that i promised in the previous thread, the overclocking process has began, I gave it the following settings which were provided automatically by the MB and i am stress testing it in Prime 95 with no issues so far. Will go tighter in the next iteration and report back.

Here is the SKU for the memeory that i am using:
BLS2K8G4D32AESBK

Attached: it boots.png (403x394, 16K)

I know, I was getting impatient to build my new PC, I don't like to buy the part little by little then finish it for next month.

Oh I remember your thread user.

2070S + 1tb 2.5"
nvme is a waste if you're sacrificing gpu budget for it

9400f + b365 mobo + 2666 c15 ram
Remove cooler since it's not needed for this i5
Get txm psu
Use the savings on a 1060ti/2060

I don't really if they're concernshills because I AM concerned
Ive had problems with amds shitty releases in the past and I really dont want to go through that again. Right now Im still holding the 5700 in highest priority over other cards solely for its performance and price but Im sick of troubleshooting and having to go through a 50 step checklist to get a good card like I had to with my 56
This is pretty fucking zoomer of me but I just want something thats plug and play, pic related

Attached: It's_All_So_Tiresome.png (1022x731, 643K)

Use memtest86 live boot to test overnight

Some say I still am polishing to this day...

Attached: the autism continues.jpg (3025x1713, 893K)

>nocuta
>nocuta
>noCUta

I think I'm going to end up going the Intel route. What few games she plays will benefit from the single core more so than more threads. That and my cheap 2x8GB if CL14 2400MHz RAM I have won't hold the i5-9400f back as much as it would the R5-2600.

So for a low end gaming PC with a budget of 700$-800$ USD, what could I get not including kb&m, monitor, but including OS?

>pay less and have more
>bad
get her an APU it's even cheaper

tbqh user, it sounds like you've already made up your mind to avoid AMD

Whats the issue user?

I'm giving her my old EVGA 980Ti Classified

buy kryonaut goy
>t. balding jewtuber
youtube.com/watch?v=CCqxE-5Ct3w

i used the site only for showing the build
should've cut off the prices
why is it not needed for this i5?
also about the 9400f, it is cheaper but i read that the missing igpu is a big issue with some people.
why exactly do i need it? i plan on emulating and as far as my uneducated brain knows i need a processor with an igpu for that, right?
and why the b365 mobo?
this is my first build so i need to ask and don't want to fuck myself over.

>1800Mhz
>cl18
you sure it's the right ram?

get a gpu that's one year old if you want best experience out of the box

seems quite tedious. isnt booting and P95 enough?
it also still boots at 3600Mhz CL16 and i am stress testing it right now on P95.
The voltage is at 1.4v (auto from the MB profiles) am i frying it?

Attached: still good.png (402x398, 16K)

Wait, maybe this one would be better?

Attached: Capture.png (641x859, 353K)

stock cooler handles 9400f's boost just fine, google it. 9400f is also newer and better than 8400, no brainer if it's cheaper too
>igpu
It's only needed if you have no gpu. It doesn't do anything if you have a gpu
>why b365
It's newer

Open up some random gamers nexus video
>Kryonaut is IDEAL for gpus, it lasts long, does not cure and will pretty much last you forver
then watch this damage control video that they probably released because half the internet is shitting on kryonaut for not only costing 4 times that of other pastes but also performing worse than other pastes
>well you see, with thermal cycling there is a pump out effect, so you see it pumps out all the paste form between the heat source and heatsink, so you are left with no paste and thats why the performace gets bad, you should replace kryonaut at least ONCE A YEAR!
Lets not even get into the
>you want the thermal paste application to be a small as possible to only fill in the micro cracks that are micron-10micron in size, not make a sandwhich
then you get kyronaut
>AAAAAAAUGH it pumps itself out, every little microscropic amount and so you are left with not even a molecule of kryonaut between your die and heatsink, so you see thats why you need to buy more kryonaut and apply it yearly :)

Fucking hell.
Lets not even fucking mention the fact that he fucking owns part of the company now.

What's the point of sanding and polishing that much without using some kind of surface plate?

welp go for a 2600
it has better upgrade path and has better fps per $

you're good up until 1.45/1.5

this user here, just got the graphics card and already have the case, thought I'd ask again just to be 100% sure

how good is this build for 1080p 60fps ultra on modern and upcoming games?
I'll upgrade to G.Skill Flare X RAM later on

Attached: oooo2.png (849x559, 44K)

nice, it seems it is working will with my ram at 3600 CL16 (it is rated at 3200 CL16). Which is the max frequency before I start seeing diminishing returns?
I am asking this to know whether it is worth it to keep going up or i should just stop here.

I have a 3700X

>What's the point of sanding and polishing that much without using some kind of surface plate?
Eh, what do you mean by surface plate?

for 24/7 use you can push it max 1.5v
all the timing and clock boost scaling is up to the quality of ram so try squeezing as much as you can without crossing the voltage threshold