Why do you bother with Linux as a main operating system when you have to do so much work to get it functional?

Why do you bother with Linux as a main operating system when you have to do so much work to get it functional?

Imagine you were buying a car and you had two choices:

An IOT car that did everything for you, drives itself whatever you want. The downside is that it stores a lot of information about where you go for the purpose of making your journey better/faster to avoid traffic

A regular, manual car that has the bare bones for it to work, but it doesn't connect to the internet and it's cheaper

If they were both in your price range, you would pick the IOT car because of it's convenience, right?

(If it's not in your price range, replace "buying" with "stealing" and "price range" with "nearby area and you had enough time to hot-wire them")

So why do you do the same with the operating system that you use everyday?

What is the benefit of using a complex, not user friendly OS because muh privacy

Privacy is already dead, with every conglomerate and government tracking everything you do.

>Linux is free
So is piracy

>I stil care a lot about my privacy, despite the damage that has already been done
Use an older version of Windows that doesn't have telemetry services, like Windows 7
>It will be discontinued
Use an anti-virus

>muh command line programs
Use an emulator or WSL, I'm talking about your main OS

>Windows is bloated
Then remove the bloatware, what are you, retarded?

>I use Kali because I'm a l33t h4xx0r
Kali is meant to be used from a live USB

>b&
Fuck off

>I use Linux because I am an anarchist, you're a fake wannabe anarchist if you use Windows
Please continue to use Linux, I wish you the best of luck against the entire government and military

>OP is a fag
>OP has never used Linux
I have years of experience with Linux, it is very useful but I wouldn't consider it an operating system for everyday use

>a thread died for this
Threads die all the time, it was probably an "applefags will continue to defend this (insert picture of $999 stand)" thread

Attached: fd5c283f22951962d44eef62172bb0d8.png (628x412, 225K)

butt

Attached: 67432007_p0.jpg (974x1442, 422K)

windows has a shitty shell

I miss having a good package manager and I'm too stingy to get a mac.

You don't have to put work into some distros. As you know with years of experience, distros like mint and ubuntu don't require any work whereas arch and gentoo take a little bit to install and configure. It's also just fun to tinker with stuff. Isn't that true for most of us here? Linux is also more configurable and customizable too. With a little bit of work, you can get an OS that's super comfy and that's configured just for you and your workflow.

Then there's the ethical dimension which I'm sure someone will elaborate on.

Personally I just like tinkering with stuff and I'm still saving time in the long run when my OS is configured for my workflow.

Attached: 1564381535027.jpg (392x309, 141K)

First sensible reply.

I like mint out of the box and as time went on I familiarised myself with the command line and installing packages. It's not for everyone, it requires patience, time and will. If you enjoy it, go ahead. I learnt Linux because it was required for work.
I do see where you're coming from though.

fedora is easier to use than windows, it's just that people have used windows longer and think it's easier because they're familiar with it

downloading software from the command line is faster than using a web browser to search for a link. For distros like ubuntu or manjaro they have dedicated "stores" or w/e they call them for downloads. Memorizing package commands like pacman -S, apt-get install, etc really isn't that hard. The only issue I have with linux is GPU drivers and WINE being shitty.

I agree with this sentiment, overall.

>Why do you bother with Linux as a main operating system when you have to do so much work to get it functional?
What work? Unlike Windows, Linux just works Whenever I get a new PC, I just dd my installation over to the new disk and scale using LVM. I follow the regular dist upgrade schemes, so I haven't used an installer in like 8 years now.

>If they were both in your price range, you would pick the IOT car because of it's convenience, right?
Spot the newfag
Here's a (you), stupid frogposter

What a stupid post. It doesn't take work. And it's a better dev environment. Now get lost frogposter.

fuck off back to
retard

>just use Windows 7
>b-b-b-but use WSL
Dishonesty, the post.

And you can install proprietary drivers for (most?) modern GPUs. And the "store" or whatever they call it makes it possible to use linux without ever touching the terminal.

I dual boot Windows 10 and Kali because I'm interested in becoming an OSCP.

I prefer cars with manual gear shift over gay automatic

For one thing I'm not mentally a pig.

>so much work to get it fucntional.
Obviously has never installed windows.
>even when your done, windows is barely functional kek.

I would pick the manual because I can service it myself and don't have to shell out several grand to some pajeet just to replace the battery. Depending on your use-case and the software you choose to install Linux can be a perfectly functioning desktop operating system. If you install a distro that has a good collection of software pre- packaged and configured it requires no more work to make functional than Windows does, less in some cases because you don't even have to turn off telemetry after the install (lmaoing at Windows 10). You clearly haven't used Linux or have a lot of experience with it if you think a distro like Mint or Ubuntu requires a lot of configuration. They don't, they provide a fully functioning desktop environment out of the box. Now fuck off with your blatant falseflagging you lying cunt and miss me with your retarded "convenience at the cost of ownership" shit.

you clearly haven't tried installing desktop linux in the past 10 years, it's literally a few clicks and 30 minutes to install, and literally everything works out of the box for basically every computer and distro, it's not 2005 anymore

What do you mean? I just slapped fedora on a usb stick, plugged it in my laptop and pressed install.

Funny, I prefer automatic so I can enjoy my mind.

Personally I prefer Linux, but I understand it has its flaws and I'm glad you're happy with your Windows computer. Peace

What about the innocent people on bikes who get run over by surveillance cars?

>Linux
>operating system
linux is a kernel not an os

My phone runs it and I use it everyday for casual mobile games

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Negro, Linux isn't even hard to use. You must be shitty at Windows, too.

Digital austerity will end one day. When Windows finally becomes free software I'll be happy.

>when you have to do so much work to get it functional?
bro just install mint

This. So many people go straight for Stage 1 Gentoo and get stuck indefinitely.

But I also want a good file explorer and M$Office.

>you would pick the IOT car because of it's convenience, right?
No because I'm not a huge fag. Thanks op your post made me switch to linux.

>for the purpose of making your journey better/faster to avoid traffic
heh

>Stage 1

Nope, nobody does that anymore.
emerge -e @world @system

So you install Windows and just use Notepad and Solitaire? Maybe entertain yourself with a little odbc configuration? You never install any software or make your setup comfy? Because that all you have to do with Linux.

More money wasted on making cars smarter but not greener

I'd always choose the manual car over automatic shit, actually I own a manual car

If I need win32/wow64 crap I just use QEMU/KVM at native speed because I already have 2 GPUs/NICs for some reason.

what the fuck are you talking about? so much work?

i use to think that when i was a kid using slackware when nothing was automated but now linux is fucking easy as shit. i haven't used windows in years and i do all of my gaming on it too.

OP, could it be that you are just retarded?

this. Windows requires you to do Sysprep which is hard to successfully perform especially with Win10 since theres going to be a bunch of shit you have to remove or disable just to swap to a new box. with dd, just make image, move to new PC, dd into new HD. done.

Besides being the platform best supported by software development tools of all kinds, gnu/linux and other free operating systems inherently appeal to programmers who want to hack on and customize their OS. Additionally, many people find linux knowledge to be useful in their careers and therefore benefit from spending time with linux outside of work.

You can do that even with 1 gpu :)

Attached: contained.png (812x675, 109K)

i just use debian. I have to install the NVIDIA drivers but that isnt too hard, after that its fully functional and ready to go. the part that does take long is actually theming it because most fags here are so autistic it has to be just right.
>OP terminal
>windows = everything a fucking GUI, click endlessly
>linux = CTRL+ALT+T, start typing, press enter, done.
>Use an older version of Windows that doesn't have telemetry services, like Windows 7
windows 7 has it too retard, might as well go back to XP with no updates and enjoy software that is not compatible anymore.
>linux most software is OS/free, install from terminal.
Linux
>no telemetry
>no forced updates
>i update when i want
>i update WHAT i want
>theming
>tons of great cli tools
also
>reddit
>
>spacing
faggot

install gentoo

>i-install g-gentoo
>m-muh edgy meemee
faggot

Well, for starters the first car is slow as fuck, ugly, breaks down often, wants to sell me Candy Crush.

here's some other stuff about the rest of the post

>Remove the bloatware
Windows IS the bloatware.
>Use an emulator
That doesn't integrate with the rest of the system like it can on UNIX.
>I have years of experience with Linux.
No, you have years of experience with compsci class, python, and vscode.

If I have to pay for it, agree to a shitty license, spend hours trying to get the shit I need working, and end up with an interface that simply isn't for me, then I'm probably not choosing convenience.

Attached: lol schlongs and dick.png (446x66, 8K)

What a stupid fucking analogy, which you apparently couldn't even be bothered to go all the way with (a car with internet). Linux doesn't:
-force shitty updates on me
-randomly delete my documents folder
-tag all my photos and people I know without my consent
etc etc etc
you're a fucking idiot my dude

>reddit
get out now

>IOT car
Really dumb

Ya but what if you store captain planet in your car

>Why do you bother with Linux as a main operating system when you have to do so much work to get it functional?
install a non meme distro if you don't want to tinker

>If they were both in your price range, you would pick the IOT car because of it's convenience, right?
no

Well you guys have convinced me, I'll give Linux another shot. Thanks for all the advice Jow Forums

Cool explanation. Thanks!

>blogposter
so convincing

Shit comparison, cars require maintenance to function properly. Brake pads need to be replaced, oil changes and other crap. You can pay someone to do it or do it yourself.
Windows is more like public transportation where you don't have to worry about those details. Also traffic can never be avoided and even if you do it fucking delays you to another detour. Typical retarded frog poster.

>thinking it's a meme
get out newfag

No, fuck you and your botnet car/OS.

>so is piracy
enjoy your hacked version of windows infested by aids retard nigger

Because Windows is like a car that only lets you go 30mph and doesn't let you lock the doors.
Linux is like an old muscle car. When it runs it runs great, and is fun to use, but it needs lots of maintenance.
MacOS is like a luxury car. It's not real luxury, it's slower than the Linux car, but it has all the bells and whistles, without the bullshit that comes with the Windows car. When it works it JUST WERKS™ but when it fails you better have deep wallets.

Attached: desktop.jpg (5120x2880, 2M)

you dont

Why should I configure my software gne gne I want other to do that gne gne

Eheheheh you you you my my my friend friend friend are are are an an an asshole asshole asshole

GIB ME YR ASS BAYBe

I WANNA FOCK YA ASS BEYTCH

I dunno, these days I'm thinking of switching to linux because I don't really play games anymore

With Windows you Win
With Loosenix you LOOSE
Loonix is for loosers

>arch and gentoo take a little bit to install and configure
>a little bit

loonix delusions

Enjoy your aids ridden cracked windows. Hope Ivan doesn't steal your steam account creds because you were too retarded to use a literal retard proof distro like mint or Ubuntu.

Hello there corelet.

Damn OP that wall of text for being too retarded to install ubuntu

I use Linux because it causes me less problems than Windows, and those are basically my only two options.

what exactly do you have to do to get it functional? it's functional out of the box with more things that i could NEVER do on windows or mac. I guess it depends on your use case. Do you want to play Vidya or make electronic music? If so, then Linux probably isn't for you.

If I cared about performance I wouldn't have bought a Mac

fedora installs quick, works out of the box, and does everything I need it to do. It’d be more trouble to set up dev tools, etc. on windows or mac for me personally

Have you considered reading the documentation

I use ubuntu because it has a package manager and I don't have to worry about viruses.
I still don't understand what the benefit of compiling the entire operating system yourself is.

Arch install takes me 20 minutes to install and configure, windows install takes over 30 just to install. No terms and conditions I need to agree to either unlike windows, I can do whatever I want with the software. I'm not a programmer by any means and if this shit isn't easy as fuck I really don't know what would be qualified as such.

if you have the time and autism to inspect the source code, you will know there's no
//sh 1.04 that is included in every ubuntu
if (input == 'nsabackdoor874892734fjsdfj') && (user = root){
WFLAG = FLAG_UP; //inconspicuous line so linus doesn't notice this
}

in your system

I made the shitbox choice irl, and love it.
Older cars are more fun and easier to maintain when somthing goes wrong, not to mention no tracking / hacking your fucking car like cmon bro.

Yet I use windows 10 lmao

>work is bad
>easier is better

be grug buy rockputer for rockputing
me no know that mini soft sell grugs data to long nose tribe. long nose tribe start sending me ad's. they send ad's that target grug. grug don't know how to escape the adpocalypse

Attached: me.jpg (800x450, 41K)

>you bought a Mac

Attached: e4e7550d5206aa77578bf68aac829580663c4f0a_hq.gif (540x304, 1.52M)

Imagine having a resolution lower than 5120x2880 in 2019

Attached: 1564324141728.gif (480x286, 1.71M)

Imagine having a resolution lower than 7680x4320 in 2019

Attached: tenor.gif (220x224, 55K)

>A car that traces everywhere you go, is listening to everything you say at all times, stores everything the car does (speed, turn signals, etc.), stores this information insecurely, sells it to unknown third parties for unknown purposes and will provide authorities with all of that data, randomly stops in the middle of the highway to update, randomly flashes advertisements on your windshield, shapeshifts and adds/removes functions based on what shareholders deem profitable, and has massive gaping security holes and exploits...

>Or, a bare bones car with the necessities to run that you can configure and build from the ground up with all of the features you do or don't want, including running a virtual copy of the first car but being able to quarantine it to a segregated part of this car

Gee, I really can't decide.

Attached: fc0b25a674b81dec40478c16358955c5.jpg (1704x2272, 751K)

I'd legit get the manual car.
I don't see how my choice of desktop operating system affects you. I like tinkering with software and computer networks and from what I've seen, it's a hassle on Windows, unless you're masochistic enough to learn about the Win32 API.
>use windows 7
Deprecated.
>lol antivirus
Doesn't mean software developers will continue to bother supporting it. Plus I like security updates.
>remove Windows bloat
How? By wiping it and installing a different operating system, I assume?

Make sure you install Gentoo so you can come back here and express.your frustration that Linux is needlessly complex and that we lied to you.

>car analogy

you do realize this is stupid right? a car needs regular oil changes, new tires, frequent gas fills, and much less occasional fluids and battery changes. plus you have to have meaningless inspections, taxes, insurance, a license, tags, and title. even a telsa changes basically none of this with the added PITA you can't even get towed by 99% of existing service stations. but hey it filters your farts. if you're not working to pay for you car your sitting in a maintenance shop or some bureaucratic building sipping shitty coffee. none of this has anything to do with having control over your own computing. but analogies make it easy to convince people like you to buy things.

For me its just because ive had good experiences with it, if your not going to use arch or something that you have to make functional, its not too bad and doesnt take too much time, and is also pretty fast.

The fuck are you taking about
Install win10 on a new laptop, you also need a load of shitware and drivers

Win10 is good on win7 desktops mostly because the stock drivers are the only drivers that exist for it and you've outlived the win7 shitware

I really only use Linux (xubungo) because it's free and easy to install. And I only have it on my toaster laptop. My desktop PC has windows, and whenever I take college classes they give you windows keys if I need them.

your analogy with cars is flawed because once something stops working, you're fucked.

same with computers, and a business can't run with that kind of risk.

linux is easier to develop software on. that's just facts. building anything for mac or windows is impossible in comparison.

you have to do so much work to get w10 usable its not even comparable now

>Use an older version of Windows that doesn't have telemetry services, like Windows 7
7 is as bad as 10.

This shouldn't be the case and is the most important thing to be solved next by the GNU/Linux community. Sadly a lot of the devs are busy doing mostly irrelevant stuff and are ignorant to this issue of massadoption/convenience/GUIs and preconfiguration. But sooner or later that will change as well.
For now you can also just use a distro like KDE Neon that doesn't require much effort and could in theory be used without much of a hassle.

Attached: 1564383158024.png (1920x1080, 6K)

because it just works for me, everything I need for work is easier to set up - just a few terminal commands
I fully switched to Linux a few months ago and I do not miss windows at all
Even though my distro is bloat (Manjaro) it still runs a lot better than windows
you are a lying glow in dark nigger and I will fucking run you over

In all honesty I've used windows xp, 7 and 10 as well as Server 2016. But I didn't experience 8, so I don't have a reason to hate it. And (so far at least) I've never had a serious problem.

Attached: OSUsers.png (2000x600, 994K)

100% no. I will never pay money or otherwise use my market force towards this shit meme. People who don't want to be in control can ride the bus for all i care. While we're at it, touchscreens in cars can fuck off aswell, haptic buttons are superior.
t. still pissed the NuPRA is autotragic only

because gentoo =/= all of linux.
Ubuntu does a lot of stuff for you, and is arguably easier to use due to the app store thing.
As a developer it is vital that almost every part of my OS can be accessed via a terminal. There's so much bullshit and GUI bloat you have to traverse in windows it's a pain to configure.
As mentioned before package management is a dream, with most stuff being handled by apt or yum or something, and just about everything respects those standards, so if a program isnt in the repos, they can still be managed the same.
I would say, for me, the only thing that Windows has over Linux is software support.

Any guides?

I'd have to do more to get Windows functional. Linux Mint takes about an hour of me personalizing it to my tastes. That's about it.