Probably more than 75% of the computers currently running in the world runs a version of UNIX, or some UNIX clone

Probably more than 75% of the computers currently running in the world runs a version of UNIX, or some UNIX clone.

How fucking awesome is that?

Attached: 02 (2).jpg (1024x570, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/computer
web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

who gives a shit

I give a shit.

unix was a mistake

>Probably more than 75% of the computers currently running in the world runs a version of UNIX, or some UNIX clone
Ahem...

Attached: 1564185399389.png (1352x939, 95K)

nobody cares who browses NORMIE WEBSITES you fucking idiot. It's unreal they even break outside of windows & OS X let alone a whole 1%

Gay as fuck, Unix and its ilk only dominate servers and embedded for baby duck syndrome reasons just like Windows on the desktop. Nobody would have cared for it if AT&T wasn't briefly required by law to give the source to anyone who asked for it, making it cheaper even if it was inferior to other operating systems.

every recent intel processor runs minix

>Probably more than 75% of computers currently running in the world runs OSes that only take up 12.51% market share
Thus proving OP's a retard as usual

>Thinking this rubric illustrates what OS visits a site
>Not overall market share
Retarded OP BTFO

>smartphones are not computerd
>servers are not computers
>IOT devices are not computers

Retard

OP wrote "computers," not "desktop computers."

>Forgetting that cars and microwaves are computers
OP said computers, not phones and other shit that zoom zooms like you fags use to replace computers with.

>moving the goalposts

kys

>thinking cars run on Unix
You ever touch a PCM boy?

that wasn't OP my retarded non Jow Forums-x user

some do, retard

>Running Windows CE
>2019

>Upset over facts

>Calls non Jow Forums-x users the retards
Please don't tell me you also have a Jow Forums pass.

This.

how fucking dumb are you people? He said computers not desktops.

Attached: brainletcastle.jpg (645x1000, 107K)

>How dumb are you people?
>OP said computers, not computers
Avatars on Jow Forums break the rules, bro.

Most embedded systems don't use a big, bloated operating system at all or run some kind of RTOS, if any of you actually knew much about computers beyond gaming PCs and animu/facebook boxes you'd probably know this already.

Is iOS unix-like?

Than why do so many other OSes try to mimic Unix and be Unix-like? You don't see any other operating systems try to mimic Winblows because it is a shit operating system.

imagine being this retarded

new cars aren't embedded systems, fucking idiot

>Not having any counterarguments over facts
Pic related

>What is ReactOS

>Being so retarded that he doesn't know how car computers work

Attached: 382.jpg (403x394, 34K)

Are you one of those iFaggots that don't know what a computer is like the mongrel in the apple commercials?
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/computer

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 77K)

>Than why do so many other OSes try to mimic Unix and be Unix-like?
Because of baby duck syndrome, as I already said. The difficulty of change eclipses the potential benefits of innovation in most cases, and most developers are imprinted on the Unix/POSIX model to the point that they basically cannot comprehend the idea of developing on anything else, a phenomenon you see on Jow Forums pretty regularly.
>You don't see any other operating systems try to mimic Winblows because it is a shit operating system.
But they do. Almost every major desktop environment today is by default a clone of Aqua or the Windows 9x-style shell in terms of how it operates, before then it was a clone of the Windows 3.x interface model.
That's nice, but even if you weren't laughably retarded and ignorant of what you're talking about, there are far more embedded computers out there than just ECUs, the majority of which have kilobytes of memory and about as much non-volatile storage to boot. Nobody competent tries to kludge a *nix operating system onto one of those.

Empty greentexts aren't an argument either

Nice avatar, samefag.

Please, kill your fucking self

Uh, android is linux-based. iOS is bsd-based. OS X is bsd-based. Various console systems like PS run on modified BSD. Rokus and most other streaming boxes run on linux. Most commercial servers either run linux or bsd. Routers and hardware firewalls are pretty much all running linux or bsd-based firmware. Sailfish OS is linux-based. Blackberry10 OS is based on QNX (which also powers tons of car peripherals and medical devices). Unixes and unix-clones are so ubiquitous that windows10 includes a VM specifically for running linux called WSL. Unix is everywhere.

Is that the best comeback you have, dumb-dumb?

It'd be cooler if they were running Inferno.

I'm not sure what this even has to do with my post, but okay. There certainly areas of computing where Unix-like operating systems dominate (stop saying Unix, Unix is dead) but my only point I was making in that post was that it was simply due to imprinting and historical luck rather than actual technical superiority. Thus it's not really a great thing.

>OS X is bsd-based
It's a cross between NeXTstep and FreeBSD; it's not purely BSD-based.

>Replies: 32
>Posters: 12

Just stop dude. You have already proven to be an absolute retard, at least have some dignity and fuck off.

Even the people who made Unix found out how bad Unix is, in the 90's. Glad we're still stuck with something from the 70's.

Technically, the BSD component is only the userland anyway. The kernel is not AT&T or BSD code.

Unix wasn't necessarily the first operating system. And there has been plenty of time for alternatives to pop up and diverge. None of them do so because there isn't really any point.

>Thinking I'm the only shitposter here
What a retard.

Ah yes ReactOS, the OS used all across servers and desktops everywhere. Oh wait...

Attached: 1545909605221.jpg (600x341, 14K)

Nope, the Unix model works well enough for its purposes, just like Windows. Once again, that doesn't mean it's actually good or "fucking awesome" that it dominates and stifles innovation in computing today.

That's why I said bsd-based. Next and the cocoa frameworks are purely a jobs / apple thing. Darwin's XNU carries some major components of BSD though.

>(((innovation)))
>t. wheel reinventor

UNIX is a steaming shitheap.
The only reason it and UNIX-like OSs ever got widely used is because.
A) Marketshare
B) Compatibility
C) Linux because it's free
D) BSD because it's free
web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf

Attached: 1536371081719.jpg (750x934, 163K)

Terveisin, baby duck. Unix itself was a reinvented wheel at a time when superior wheels already existed, but they were too expensive, lacked the same degree of support or weren't as compatible. Unix is the MS-DOS of the enterprise world.

>Getting upset over his abuse of brainlet wojak as his avatar
Don't you love how other retards derail what's already a troll thread?

That's a reaction image. If I crop a headshot of a character from some obscure manga and start attaching that to each image that I post, that'd be considered using an avatar.
I really wish there was a rule to keep this low-quality discussion off the board, but one that ain't it.

>le ebin Multics maymay

Technically, your abuse of brainlet wojak IS the use of avatars.

Multics, MVS, TOPS, later competitors like VMS, the shitloads of similar research operating systems that weren't as lucky, take your pick. Unix was cheap and portable, had a big name behind it and did what was needed.

>Unix itself was a reinvented wheel at a time when superior wheels already existed, but they were too expensive, lacked the same degree of support or weren't as compatible.

"Hey, dude, take a look at my vastly superior operating system! It only runs in this specific hardware that will be obsolete in two years, but believe me, this is totally the future!"

You mention "portability" as if it was no big deal, some unimportant feature.

You run Haiku as your main OS, don't you? Kek

Unix isn't the wheel, it's an archaic operating system designed for 1970s mainframes that only sticks around because of momentum just like Windows. The only difference is that unix was a good ancient OS and windows is a bad ancient OS which clouds our judgement since we have no modernized OS to compare it to.

>Not comparing them to TempleOS

>You mention "portability" as if it was no big deal, some unimportant feature.
No, it was no doubt convenient and a big factor in its success. But a cancer that is effective at spreading is still a cancer. Being easy to kludge onto the university's shiny new VAX didn't necessarily make Unix itself as an operating system good, just convenient.

Dil8

imaging thinking this is an argument lmao
retard

Imagine being retarded enough to reply to another retard without looking at his pic
retard

I did look at his pic, that's what I was referring to
fucking retard..

Wtf with that chart, is this some flat design cancer

Look at him and laugh
>b-but I was just trolling
Laugh even harder

I'm always suspicious of charts like these. I just looked up the original source on that chart. It is only showing results from, "market share value," and has nothing to do with the number of OS installed on computers. Even the makers of the article missed that fact when they read the source material.

He said computers not personal computers.
That includes servers and embedded.