Are cassettes making a comeback?

Are cassettes making a comeback?

Attached: cassette-berate.jpg (1511x953, 210K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jVoSQP2yUYA
youtube.com/watch?v=Om4JhjvRN1U
youtube.com/watch?v=IU2wBKoDOzg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no

As a nostalgiatek retro thing sure, apparently zoomers are buying them a lot, there's been an uptick in Walkman sales on eBay and albums sold in Cassette format. I guess it goes with their bumbags.

Why in gods name would anyone want to go back to that garbage format.

no

Only makes sense for vaporwave

Yes. The only reason I can think of is because it's trendy since the only experience the dipshits driving the demand had with analog formats are fiddling with dad's hi-fi stereo in the den.

I unironically enjoy watching VHS movies more than any other format. I don't know if it's nostalgia or what but I really enjoy the low-res and weird color saturation along with the poor audio. Is that weird?

only in japan, the market is rising like hell. japenese consumers are fucking retarded and far beyong hypercapitalism

I bought some of the new recording the masters cassettes that came out to support the cassette industry.

Not weird user...
Comfy.

Related.
youtu.be/jVoSQP2yUYA

heavy metal of any kind is better on tape than CD.
you don't want all that high frequency noise, you want to capture detail in the low and midrange. tapes do this well. the particular frequency ranges of guitars and vocals stand out.

kek the zoomer sketch

Yes, it makes small label having a physical format that's cheaper than vinyl, more original than cd and that lets people support their work.

People who buy tapes listen to the downloaded version on bandcamp tho

majority of what you call heavy metal isn't heavy at all

Only with retro hipsters.

CD and digital both don't have a particular problem with this, never mind any that tape can solve.

Not a great comeback, but a lot of people buying them again for various reasons.
Shady released his last album on digital download, streaming, cd, vinyl and cassette. Vinyls and cassettes were both sold old quick.

yes but they shouldn't be.
next level bait

With the right mixing and processing you can make any medium sound good, it's all about utilizing its strengths. It's just that the "flaws" of magnetic tape serve to neatly accentuate certain forms of music without any real processing by the recording operator.

>majority of what you call heavy metal isn't heavy at all
well whatever autistic screaming guitar noise you listen to, it will sound particularly good on ferric oxide tape provided it has been recorded properly.

Dear God no cassettes sucked ass.

Magnetic tape never went. They are still used in server contexts because they are a very dense format.

Hope not unless they are digital.

I wonder why no one makes new cassette decks, while newly made turntables, even audiophile ones that cost 100k are still made.

Vinyls don't need to be rewound. Why would people use cassettes when there is already an easier to use analog format?

Or ambience.

CDs capture low end well though.
Only vinyl has an issue with that. Laser vinyl could be a solution, in fact why isn't that a solution?

Attached: 1548906076312.jpg (1024x768, 92K)

Honestly, cassettes don't even have that "there is some merit" to them like vinyl does.

Like I get vinyl. It predates my time but I get why people like them. But magnetic media is just inferior all around to digital recording. It breaks down and you can even destroy it simply by smacking it hard enough. It's a thin reel of tape and there's so much that can go wrong.

Cassettes are from my day (early 90s when I would have been about 5-9 years old) and looking back there is nothing that CDs didn't do better. Breaking up albums by tracks, don't need to rewind, simpler storage, etc.

You can at least fix CD scratches (well...not anymore since all the CD fixing tools seem to have vanished) but magnetic media gets screwed and it is done.

this
anyone who lived with them as their only option are glad to be rid of them

>Why would people use cassettes when there is already an easier to use analog format?

Probably capacity and smallness.

But at that point you're better off with CDs, since it's both of those things. "Muh lossy audio" isn't an excuse for everything that cassettes do worse.

Tape is great for cold storage. But fucking sucks for everything else. You know this if you're old enough to have been brought up with tapes and played tapes to the point that the tape stretched and the quality went to shit after you'd played it over and over again. Vinyl isn't much better. At the end of the day, it's a sharp needle dragging across pock marked plastic. It deteriorates as well. Which is proven by the plethora of old skool jungle, rave, UK garage and dubstep vinyl I've got that has been played so much it pops and crackles like a bowl of rice crispies.

No they spin too slow and have shit quality, should be at least 3.5 IPS or even better 7IPS

>Which is proven by the plethora of old skool jungle, rave, UK garage and dubstep vinyl I've got that has been played so much it pops and crackles like a bowl of rice crispies.

Some people like that, though.

I'll admit it has a charm, so long as it isn't too obnoxious. It's like film grain.

>Some people like that, though.
Those people are idiots. It's the most obvious sign that the quality of the recording on the vinyl has gone to shit.

>Which is proven by the plethora of old skool jungle, rave, UK garage and dubstep vinyl I've got that has been played so much it pops and crackles like a bowl of rice crispies.

I just want to find a copy of True Faith - Take Me Away on vinyl that has survived and hasn't been rinsed out.

youtube.com/watch?v=Om4JhjvRN1U

CDs are horribly quantised and decay arguably faster than vinyl. We really need like a vinyl version of the CD playable in similar sized players perhaps. The emphasis of the build should be on the longevity of the data in the disk though. The disk should be made of long lasting materials.
Otherwise all music will just degrade quickly over time.

Oh so that's the prodigy's sample for "Warrior Dance"

I have CDs from the early 90s that rip securely. I have vinyl from the early 90s that are unplayable in regards to making digitised copies of them because they sound so bad. CDs don't have a needle dragged across their surface. They are read by a laser. Well cared for CDs will last longer than well cared for vinyl, simply because the process of listening to vinyl is destructive, no matter how carefully you setup tonearm counter weights. If you play certain pieces of vinyl a lot, they're going to degrade. CDs degrade if you treat them like shit, the only way the mechanism for playing a CD can damage a CD is if the laser and CD surface meet. And if they do, you've got bigger problem.

Back when I used to have Technics and DJ house parties and small pubs and clubs, I used to buy two sets of records if I could, because if it was a bumping track, it was going to wear out. I've bought a pair of the same record only to throw one out when it is played out over the years, it's ridiculous. A friend of mine converted me to CDJs when they first came out and it was great, because we didn't have to cart boxes of vinyl around, instead just a box/wallet of CDs, often CDrs with individual tracks burned on them. You didn't have to worry about using someone else's CDJs and fucking up your CDs like you did with traditional decks and vinyl, because they might be using a shit needle and had incorrectly setup the tonearm.

I love vinyl. I have loads of it. But the only way it won't degrade is by not playing it.

CDs suffer from disc rot. Vinyl get's a bit wobbly.
Both are shit to be frank.
You need something as consistent as CDs but far more durable. The only thing we have so far is like FLAC or WAV on HDDs. HDDs don't last either. The disk format needs a new durable format. I'm thinking like the vinyl grooves on a different material.

>CDs suffer from disc rot.
If they did, they wouldn't rip securely.

tape is fucking garbo
i grew up with a vic-20 and c64
having to go make a cup of tea, go to the shops, have a wank, walk the dog, and then maybe, MAYBE, if you were lucky, the program had loaded by the time you got back
not to mention having music tapes that sounded like shit because you'd paused it too many times, causing changes in volume along the tracks

I have CDs that I've played like once or twice only from the 00s that no longer play. The manufacturer of CDs fucked up with the design.
CDs would be great if they were unscratchable, didn't rot and were far less quantised.
Frankly, they're done though. FLAC, etc will be the future for now, though HDDs and SSDs need more durability. Companies don't make them to be durable though :^)

CD disc rot only really happened in the early years of the CD because they were trying to get the processes and materials involved in making the discs right.

>Between 1988 and 1993, PDO pressed a number of CDs that used an inferior lacquer that wasn’t resistant to sulphur, which was a problem because there were trace amounts of sulphur in the attached books and CD inlays—meaning the stuff meant to protect the disc would damage it. This led the aluminum layer to eventually corrode, making the discs look bronze in color—and damaging the quality on the audio of the discs. PDO ran a hotline, allowing music-buyers to exchange these damaged discs, between 1991 and 2006.

This is true for a lot of pressing plants in the early days of the CD.

>I have CDs that I've played like once or twice only from the 00s that no longer play.

Attached: AfC79o9l.jpg (600x358, 21K)

now is the time to start collecting DVDs and CDs

in the UK, you can go into CEX, and pick up great movies for 50p a pop

in 10 years, when the normies finally realise that "owning" a movie on a digital platform doesn't actually mean shit, they're going to go fucking crazy looking for old movies and music on physical formats

and that is where you, the physical media collector, will come in, and gouge the fucking normies hard for ruining the internet and everything else that used to be good

Attached: 1291519702829.jpg (650x789, 58K)

It doesn't help when you have a bitch of a sister that often used to nick em without telling you and eventually you'd find them on the floor somewhere covered in makeup and scratched.
ALL OF MY RAGE

Anyway, maybe she put some of them back.

Attached: 1496076730568.jpg (269x211, 8K)

Disc rot is the siRRRRRRREEEEEn call of physical media haters. It’s just a faggot meme that doesn’t reflect reality. I have Sega Saturn CDs from 1997 that have experienced zero wear.

>I have Sega Saturn CDs from 1997 that have experienced zero wear.
I really doubt that.
1997 was 40 years ago user.

Been doing that shit for years. My mum still has flightcases of CDs I've bought cheap from eBay and charity shops over the years stashed away in her attic. From memory, each flight case would hold about 200 cds. And there's five or more flight cases up there. And then there's boxes of DVDs amounting to several hundred films and TV series.

where my TAPE bros at?

Attached: Tapes.jpg (2047x1708, 1.46M)

you are the hero we need

Only idiots and hipsters would want to go back to that format. Hopefully they have some scotch tape and a pencil on hand for when shit goes south.

God, I hope not.

/thread

Tape hiss is the fucking worst shit ever. I sometimes hear that shit on classical music recordings on Youtube because some douche just made recordings from a fucking tape.

>i abused the media and now it sounds like ass
clean your heads and capstans you fucking neanderthal
don't leave shit on pause why the fuck would you do that when the stop button does the same fucking thing but doesn't keep spinning the capstan against the tape?

jesus every one of these threads is full of retards who "might have" experienced tapes as a child and never understood how to take care of them so they just parrot youtube opinions.
the fact that Commodore pleb shit always had trouble saving to or reading tape was hardly the fault of the technology but straight up Tramiel penny-pinching. other systems with tape drives worked fine but not Commodore, must be the tape's fault uh-hyup. not to mention the deluge of clearly samefagged, exaggerated one-line responses like "oh GOD I hope not!" that occurs in every "why are tapes making a comeback gee" thread
do you faggots ever get bored of making the same thread over and over and responding to it in the exact same way? don't you think people notice?
can we just have a discussion about technology without dysfunctionally autistic people trying to back-pat themselves on an anonymous discussion board?

>CDs would be great if they were unscratchable
one time i had a couple of those sony handicam minidvd-rw's which had a coating on them which made them really hard to scratch, it's certainly possible
not like vinyl records are any harder to scratch anyway
>didn't rot
99% of cd's don't rot, a few bad batches doesn't reflect on the whole market
>far less quantised
quantization noise at 16bit results in a noise floor far below that of vinyl or compact cassette, and more than enough for any reasonable music playback scenario, there is absolutely no need for anything higher

boomers hate dolby because it requires very precise alignment between decks so they just turn it off

woah woah woah, calm down friendo
i was a normal child, not a tape autist
the fact that these problems could and did happen to the tape format is proof of it's weakness
sure, if you took better care of them they lasted longer, but the same could be said of anything
you could buy a car, hardly ever drive it, and spend an hour changing the oil every day
doesnt make for a great all-round experience, unless you're REALLY into cars and maintaining them

>fourty

the newer zoomers WISHED they had a childhood like ours, so they are frauding our lifestyles, HAHAHAHA

Attached: Solarized_Light_Xcode_4_Theme_(5592863390).png (434x327, 37K)

>the fact that these problems could and did happen to the tape format is proof of it's weakness
CDs rot. Even the ones made properly will delaminate and fail in the heat of a car's AV stack or a bad storage place. If they scratch you might lose playability an entire track or two. digital media is incredibly easy to destroy.

meanwhile a tape may get dropouts when it's old, they stretch when subjected to heat or badly-maintained decks, but it will play every last song until the tape itself breaks, and then it can simply be stuck back together. you can rerecord tapes to restore volume levels, you won't get dropouts and damage from pausing if the deck is clean, and a clean deck will never eat or stretch a tape. if you use half-decent tapes then you hardly need to clean the thing ever.

you go ahead with your radioshack dictation recorder and that stack of mixtapes that have been baked in a car for 30 years and tell me how bad it sounds, i'll be putting my FLAC albums on cassette with a Nakamichi deck and enjoying the sweet sound of magnet tape for as long as I can get 120VAC.

thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=IU2wBKoDOzg

Attached: file.png (2048x1023, 1.82M)

or i could just burn copies of my cds to put in my car
wow, so difficult.
zero quality loss, unlike a dubbed tape (though we are talking about car playback, which doesn't matter that much either way)

For me its the Memorex...Is it live or is it...Memorex?

Attached: 37ac8c7b4cd85a693dae8d5c1847269d.jpg (800x509, 70K)

cassette is the best way to listen to metal though, mainly because metal has a lot of treble usually and limitations of tape technology naturally remove a lot of the sizzling high end out of the mix which gives for a balanced listening experience. that said, i don't listen to tapes, i listen to mp3s with a custom EQ to mimic the qualities of analogue/cassette tape sound.

Attached: Home_taping_is_killing_music.png (280x231, 29K)

this is quite absurd

Attached: 5076b62734a350ae8ed04754be991172-original.jpg (728x486, 138K)

they should make cassette based hdd

it really isn't, it's been a fact for ages.
being contrarian is worse than being an audiophile

>cassette is the best way to listen to anything
how's life living with microcephaly?

Attached: 1519507590208.jpg (635x542, 15K)

it's a shame those tapes are so shitty, the MRX series came in really cool and useful cases.

for me, it's TDK SA

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x626, 55K)

how is life with debilitating autism?

Attached: 1557323136549.png (1247x729, 80K)

it's cute you have so many self-portraits but this is a tape thread
could you take your avatarfaggotry somewhere else?

Im a big fan of TDK, they had some great stuff back then.
Also for me its the Maxell Epitaxial

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1504x1000, 269K)

I just calculated how much a digital cassette ought to be able to store if it were using tape with similar specs to modern LTO-8, and the number I got was 684GB. Gotta admit, those would be pretty fucking handy if consumer drives for them existed.

Digital masters used to be stored on magnetic tape. Every song digitally mastered since 1978 ended up as a PCM signal on magnetic tape. 16-bit, 44.1khz, and even the maximum length of a CD was dictated by the physical limitations of a PCM adapter and the length and width of a U-Matic cassette tape.

I fucking love the red and gold chrome UDS-II.
They're real easy to spot in a thrift shop.

solid choice.
i love when type II and IV tapes get tossed in with the other 20cent tapes at bargain stores.

Attached: 71Aa-O9c4iL._SX466_.jpg (466x310, 22K)

>And it's illegal
Not here it's not. What kind of 3rd world jewghetto would actually outlaw that shit instead of sorting it in civil court?

good format for data storage, worst for music, btw, you can get fuduji on chink webs, they use it to play their English learning materials.

its absurd to adopt a cumbersome, expensive and deprecated flawed technology just to roll off the high end when a person could merely DSP of a digital file for free, grampy

the place where i go is a goodwill outlet, so they just dump everything they sell in bins and let people sort it out themselves
it's pay by weight so i can get about 20 cassettes plus some extra cables for less than $3.
Cassettes are the only media tough enough to survive that hell, and I've gotten some really good music out of it. An old mixtape is like a time machine.

>I have CDs that I've played like once or twice only from the 00s that no longer play.

Attached: Buster.jpg (475x356, 54K)

>1997 was 40 years ago user
>zoomer math

This is true. It's not worth using unless you are doing the recording and playback on the same deck.

>i'll be putting my FLAC albums on cassette
I'm sure you do this while applying your mustache wax and shaving half your head.

Cassette reporting in

Attached: 276B93D8-536F-45F1-848E-1F022F2FAEB0.jpg (3264x2125, 1.74M)

It's absurd you think that all the tape does is "roll off the high end". they have peak response in human vocal ranges, so while the high end is cut, other tones are brought forth and the sound is still full and pleasant. the sounds of guitars being picked and people singing play specifically to the strengths of tape. you have to do no work other than ensuring the levels and tape type are set properly. for someone who wants to hear the crunch and not a bunch of fuzz the only medium is tape.
yes yes, you can tweak EQ in software to make it sound similar but it isn't the same at all. it is not anywhere near as complicated or clunky as you make it seem.

depreciated? this isn't consumer drone computer hardware. it still works fine. human hearing did not suddenly evolve to hear tones above 21,000 hz at some point in the last decade. get over yourself.

it's a meme you dip

So, in other words, you enjoy listening to distortion introduced by the medium.

boomer nostalgia before the nursing home

Attached: name his gear.gif (300x242, 1.78M)

>zoomer meme
>funny

>listens to shit music
>uses low quality audio to cover how shit it is
Metal listeners are truly retarded.

Attached: 2bg8a5.jpg (1024x576, 121K)

When the music itself relies on distortion to get a particular sound, yes. Much of it was mixed for magnetic tape to begin with and sounds harsh and distorted in digital.

>falling for the good old "last thursday was 500 years ago" meme
lurk more

Metal listener here. Take your tapes and shove them up your ass. It’s a fucking terrible format compared to vinyl and compact disc.

Maybe if you spent more time appreciating music instead of saving your 11,001st wojak you'd understand, kiddo.

stock "IT'S SO FUCKING TERRIBLE OH MY GOD HOW CAN YOU EVEN"
again really?
can you please not samefag, we can see how many unique posters are in this thread and it's really obvious that OP and all the posts obnoxiously whinging about tapes are all the same fucking person.

>gate keeping
>muh sekrit club

Ah yes. If multiple anons disagree with you it’s obviously the same person.