Why are bluray drives so expensive still?

>blow off the bluray meme for years
>finally have a reason to get a bluray drive
>glad I waited, prices will probably be low
>go to buy the drive
>prices are still high as hell
Bluray drives should be $20 these days. They are around $75 and up for a good one instead. It makes no sense. We live in a bluray world and these drives are massed produced big time. Why are they still so expensive?

Attached: 5124+AXLo-L._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/z2dqqs/lg-optical-drive-wh14ns40
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Different drives have different prices.
I think only bdxl, an 4k drives cost over $50 now.

Same reason laserdisc drives are expensive. It's a failed format so rare and niche.

That might be it. I will look into it.
How is bluray a failed format? Most houses in the western world own a bluray player and every new movie has a bluray copy in addition to a DVD. Do you mean it failed in regards to PCs so PC bluray drives are rare?

>Blu-ray drives
>rare
You're an idiot.

Licensing costs is like $50 a drive iirc.
Shame blue ray drives had to be so cucked. You can't even burn your own video if you want a fansub or the like.

Optical media is dead for PC because everything is inflated to keep Sony happy.

Thinkpads like the W500 (core2!) had optional blu ray drives a decade ago, but they never made it to pleb laptops.

>We live in a bluray world
Which world is that?
I don't know anyone who gives a shit about blu-ray.

I never even owned a bluray drive in my life, shit was dead on arrival.

I don't think people buy blu-rays, BR-players or BR-drives because there is no reason to. Video streaming is the future. Storage is cheap as hell now, a few cents per GB. Whenever I go to stores that sell video games, the PC games section is incredibly small now or they don't sell any at all because of Steam.

If you just want a reader, they are cheap as fuck. The burners are expensive because optical storage died before they could grasp the market. I can buy a fucking 128GB microSD for like $25 or some shit on a good day. Who needs a fucking Blu-ray you can write once that will only last a few years before the due breaks down and only holds 50GB or some lame shit? It's also SLOW! They have to charge more to cover their costs because the market for them is very small.

>last a few years
only if you buy cheap-ass LTH discs which exists only because of cheapskate manufacturers that want to re-use their DVD production line. Blu-ray was designed to use inorganic dyes to prevent bit-rot. Blu-rays should last you, at a minimum, five years and, at most, around a quarter of a century

I doubt it, there are a handful of bluray burners in the $55-65 range.

You're telling me a bluray burner only costs $5-15 to manufacture and the other $50 is ALL licensing costs? Come on.

Maybe $25-30. But not $50.

Price of laser and electric motor parts retard. You can't go below 75$, Sony take royalties.

Iirc the Blu-ray software eats the cost, and not the hardware.

Not really true at all.

Internal SATA bluray players are near identical in cost to burners.

Attached: 2019-07-31 09_44_25.png (995x1116, 260K)

Attached: 2019-07-31 09_45_04.png (1061x1114, 301K)

>muh spinnan discs

fucking boomers i swear

what's the point? a PS3 is a £30 purchase at this point and also doubles as a full game console

You can't EMP a disc

PS3 can't do UHD blurays.

Just pirate remuxes

>newegg after chink buyout

Attached: 2019-07-31 09_50_03.png (1200x1059, 287K)

Can't rip a BD with a PS3.

Blu ray is nowhere standard on PC making alot less people interested into buying one.
If games used blurays on pc maybe the price of drives would be alot less than it is right now

They are shit quality usually.

...wut?

A remux is just putting the movie from the disc into an MKV without encoding it.

Encoding FROM a remux is what most torrent sites will release. Those tend to look shit compared to the source bluray, unless they're a decent quality encoding group.

If you download a remux, it will be identical to what the disc has.

>If games used blurays
not with Steam and its ilk are in the picture. However, I do like the idea of downloading a GoG game and burning the installer into a disc. If only there's a way to put in the classic autorun magic from back in the day.

lol the only ones still buying these drives are nonironically people ripping the material and putting it online

some people buy blurays, rip them to their home server, and never release it online.

Nothing wrong with a private collection.

You don't need to EMP a disc, most of them last 5 years tops anyway. People saying they last longer are kidding themselves. I guess it also depends on the environment, but the longest I've had a DVD last was 7 years, and that was a fucking Taiyo Yuden stored in a dark box. My Sony Verbatims lasted me around 5 years. People say Blu-rays last longer, but I wouldn't bet on a Blu-ray going beyond 10 years.

I thought they were all rencoded. Thanks for the tip.

Fair point
If you're just going to rip the media rather than using it then why not just source a rip online?

I have CD and DVDs over 20 years old that work fine. What do you tards do to kill your discs? Store them on the dash of your car in the sun?

>he doesn't buy M-Disc

I want a perfect copy with full surround audio, not a crunched and munched mono rip from Russia.

I've already posted it but I'm going to say it again. Blu-rays use inorganic dye. It's going to last longer than a DVD unless you're buying shit LTH discs.

Get a remux from online?

Here is the UHD remux of endgame that just came out a few hours ago.

4500kb/s+ Dolby Atmos audio stream.

Attached: 2019-07-31 10_00_08.png (663x697, 33K)

I'd rather rip from disc.

You know burned discs and pressed discs are different right? I have plenty of beat up music CDs and video games that are fine, but anything I made myself is bit rotted to death by the time I go back to check it.

>Most houses in the western world own a bluray player

No, Granpa.

Are you retarded or just being contrarian?

So you'd rather do the SAME exact thing someone else already did, taking up your time, costing you actual money to buy the disc, and the drive?

Okay i guess, you do you, but that seems pretty fucking retarded to me.

Unless you've got dogshit slow internet, i just don't see the point.

>don't rip discs privately
>steal them over the internet instead
>t. dumbass zoomer

DVD M-discs are a big jump from normal DVDs but what they've essentially done is backport some of the blu-ray standard (inorganic dye) back to DVDs, resulting in DVDs that very slightly does not conform to standard. Blu-ray M-Discs, on the other hand, are just normal Blu-rays but with better materials.

>i just don't see the point
So you admit to being retarded. At least you are honest.

I'd rather save bandwidth, and time. Also Blu-ray movies/TV shows are cheap.

>he lives in a nonfree country that tracks his internet

Attached: 1441819909070.jpg (792x558, 96K)

>he lives in a 3rd world country where data limits are the norm

Attached: 1449449951513.jpg (752x418, 97K)

Are you talking about Europe, because that's a continent.

>I just want to confirm that yes, I am indeed a dumbass zoomer.

A single 4k blu ray a month would be the same cost as bumping your bandwith limit.

>he's trying to find excuses for not using his internet that he's paying for

Attached: 1519270290929.png (214x221, 96K)

Sorry, i'm not a bandwidthlet.

Attached: 2019-07-31 10_08_44.png (398x587, 28K)

You're not wrong. The cable company won't even lay down copper let alone fiber to my neighborhood.

>a single Blu-ray a month
Nah used Blu-rays have been cheap for a while.

>The cable company won't even lay down copper
then what are you currently using if you don't even have copper?

DSL is copper.

You're probably a acrelet though.

Mobile, probably. Same situation as me. It fucking sucks when I have to try and ration my 4 GBs for 4 days. Shit adds up, too. It practically costs as much as a normal DSL plan in the course of a month.

But we're talking about 4k blu ray

Yup, the tradeoff being amazing internet, a massive public transit system, and a fuck ton of fine dining and various different international cuisine options all within walking distance.

Rural morons pretending their land has any real value is always funny to me, you have so much land because it's worthless and no one else wants it. Whereas my 1/4 acre lot could sell on land value alone for $300,000+

Wow food and buses. Now I'm convinced.

>loves being an underaged nigger, and around niggers

>1/4 acre lot for $300,000
Is that a lot of money?

>the Blu-ray software eats the cost
What software? You mean the one that you need to buy to watch DRM movies? If you just want to back up data you don't need that.

>yfw I live in one of the wealthiest areas of the nation with over 75% white population

Trains senpai, both local and longer distance.

>Is that a lot of money?
Average US farmland is around $3400 per acre. So $300,000 for a 1/4 acre would be a lot, yes.

pcpartpicker.com/product/z2dqqs/lg-optical-drive-wh14ns40

if you own a physical copy of X movie you can download the remux of X movie(legally)

>Here is another excuse why you need to pay attention to my retarded myopic opinion.

DELET

>implying it's not you that has a retarded myopic opinion
Just look at this hilarious gem right here

>yfw I live in one of the wealthiest areas of the nation with over 75% white population
And you ride busses and shit like a teenager.
>Trains senpai, both local and longer distance.
You don't have a driver?
>Average US farmland is around $3400 per acre. So $300,000 for a 1/4 acre would be a lot, yes.
Average farmlands can get internet for $150k, and $300k a 1/4 acre just means you live in an overpopulated shithole that doesn't earn you any money. You probably don't even own mineral rights.

>all that cope

>triples down on their retarded myopic opinion
Here is your final (you) dumbass. Spend it wisely.

>75% white
Niggers everywhere

I looked it up just to satisfy your racist curiosity.

>The population was 86.7% white, 4.8% African-American, 0.2% Native American, 1.0% Asian India, 3.3% other Asian, 0.3% non-Hispanic from some other race, 3.0% from two or more races and 5.5% Hispanic or Latino.

>can't even justify his retarded opinion
>calls the practical solution that everyone has been doing since the early 2000s as "zoomer"
Retard can't even get his bantz, right. Zoomers stream because they're too retarded to pirate. Boomers like you buy discs because they're too retarded to pirate.

>Can't afford Blu-ray discs, and needs to take public transportation
You seem like you're just made of money.

I CHOOSE to take public transit, I don't own a car because I find it to be a waste, I wouldn't use it 95% of the time.

The few times I do need a car I just borrow one or rent one, and generally it's after i've already arrived at my destination when travelling, I rarely if ever need a car locally.

Don't bother a/n/on, you won't get through a cager's thick skull

>You're telling me a bluray burner only costs $5-15 to manufacture
That does sound about right.

Nah, the laser and motor alone would likely be $20-30.

>Whereas my 1/4 acre lot could sell on land value alone for $300,000+
So you're 1/4 acre is worth a 3bedroom/1bath house that was built in the 70's?
Something is not adding up.

I meant to say built in the 70's, and in the ghetto.

No, if I were to actually sell my house it would be $850k+

I'm just saying, the land value ALONE is worth at least $300,000k.

>implying a train isn't a genpop cage

Only if you, as one hobbyist, buys your components individually or in tiny volumes from alibaba. Never underestimate the ability of wholesale and mass production to drive down prices.

>Most houses in the western world own a bluray player

Are you kidding?
DVD still rules in many "western" countries.

Look, i'd believe it for DVD drives, but bluray drives simply aren't $5 to make, that's absurd.

>Choose to take public transportation
>$300k property
>Wealthy neighborhood
I'm literally confused.

see
The property is far more than $300,000, i said land value. That doesn't include the house.

If you're still confused, I can't help you

because it didn't catch on like dvd did
i've still never touched a bluray disc or player in my life, yet i played/copied/burned literally hundreds of dvds

>$20 bluray drive
>wh14ns40
>$50 New
>$20 Used

Attached: wh14ns40.jpg (940x620, 33K)

So if you were allowed to parcel off your side yard it would be $300k, and if you sold your house it would get you $850k?
And this is in one of the wealthiest areas in the country?

tfw living in an area where 500 m2 (~12.35 % of an acre) cost around 320,000 € and the newly built modern house on top of it would only cost 250,000 €

Yes because it's a small house.

Larger houses in the area with decently large yards go for several million.

There are a few mansion type houses that have listed for above $5m within the last decade.

There are only minor differences between CD DVD BD drives. Its all massed produced crap. Its not like is difficult to insert BD compatible components into the assembly line.
For all intensive purposes as far as standards and mass production scale every drive coming off the assembly line may as well be a BD DVD CD combo unit. Why produce anything but BD DVD CD combo drives?

Where are you able to sell a 1/4 acre of attached residential area separately from your home, and what country has houses under $5-$10million in an area considered to be one of the wealthiest neighborhoods?