Static Site Generators (SSGs) Thread

Are you using/Have you used a static site generator? Have you written your own? What do you look for/want in a SSG?

Let's talk about SSGs.

Attached: ssg-search-github.jpg (1080x7766, 1.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/cknv/beetle)
github.com/ConradBailey/org-site).
dthompson.us/projects/haunt.html
github.com/Engil/Canopy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just use Hugo.

I want to but I haven't found one I like yet. too many of them are written by people still immersed in the web-dev world so they're implemented in JS or Ruby or some such crap, and come with a bunch of shit I don't want.

>Are you using/Have you used a static site generator?
yes
>Have you written your own?
yes
>What do you look for/want in a SSG?
displays a list of markdown files and links to html rendered output

doesn't fuck up my git repos

renders special chars with minimal bullshit

I made my own, works like a blog system.

It's just a file you drop into your github page repo, and it automatically discovers and render any markdown file you upload there. No need to install any external command/generate boilerplate or ""modern"", pain in the ass garbage like that.
I have no use for it since I don't have anything worthwhile to write about, nor anybody who would find such a blog to read it.

I gave up. I just write draft in markdown, convert it before publishing and then maintain plain HTML by hand.

Eww.

I'm using Hugo at the moment and I can say it's pretty comfy honestly. However, it falls into the complicated site if all you want is a bunch of markdown files converted to HTML. Furthermore, it has a bit of a learning curve to set up and understand what's going under the hood.

I've come several implemented in Python, Perl, Raku, etc. Two that have caught my attention are beetle (github.com/cknv/beetle) and org-site(github.com/ConradBailey/org-site). You might want to look at them.

Is it under version control? If so, do you mind sharing it?

Thanks for the advice, user. Much appreciated ;-).

Damn, I fucked this up.
*I've come across several ones implemented...

>not writing HTML and CSS with your bear hands

My blog is just a git repo of markdown files. When I push a commit to it, a post-receive hook compiles them to HTML and updates the main-page index of the blog.

The only thing I have to do is write an article in markdown, commit it, and push it; then it's online. I really like the elegance of it and it's without any dependencies like github pages.

Keys big enough for paws?

Attached: bear-hands.gif (220x211, 219K)

Honetly, markdown is a fucking trash of a markup language and - with few exceptions - semantic HTML is quite comfy. I do the markdown phase first to get automatic table of contents (I'm lazy to write a simple script, yikes) and that's pretty much all

>markdown
>specialized soγ syntax
>whatever other crap
Literally just use org-mode and native HTML export you fucks. Is this Jow Forums or some kind of /fa/ or /mlp/

Native org-mode export sucks balls if you want to do anything fancy, configuring it so that you have consistent custom exports across platforms (i.e. in a fucking repo) is a nightmare. It really isn't the right tool for the job. There are pandoc exporters which are decent-ish but don't support the full feature set of the native pandoc tool. I ended up using a makefile to call pandoc on my site rather than using native emacs. Now I just use Hugo.

Yeah it is awful but its much more comfortable to write in than HTML.

I just lack so many figures in Markdown

>Are you using/Have you used a static site generator?
yes, I made the mistake to use jekyll. it's a fucking pain. fucking jekyll subhumans deprecate shit every 2 weeks so you can't have a stable jekyll installation to compile your pages. it's always some shit with that fucking piece of crap. but I guess that's what you get for using fucking rubyist software trash

>markdown is a fucking trash of a markup language
this. invented by a webtard macfaggot kike. fucking piece of shit dreck

i just use this dthompson.us/projects/haunt.html

I did the markdown pandoc thing, I half wrote a custom one and started to realize this is more work than it is worth anything, now I just use Hexo. I don't use it for anything important though, just for personal site/projects

I just use pandoc to turn it in to a stand-alone HTML file, and because pandoc is smart enough to implement HTML tags as they are you can use them when needed.

I did start writing my own ksh script, but it takes about 5 seconds each update to make my site up-to-date because I use a hierarchical system like Gopher.

I'm taking a look into `saber` but didn't used it yet. I dropped Jekyll because it sucks.

I use based github.com/Engil/Canopy

where is the C implementation?

Imagine being such a fucking brainlet you can't even write HTML.

HTML tags are arduous to write over the long term.

Not sure. ;-)

For most SSGs, you need to write some HTML. Although probably only once if the SSG uses some templating system (mustache, ninja, etc.). Given that , why not minimize the need to write them?

Org mode