/hpg/ - Headphone General

Headphone game solved edition

Discuss headphones and DACS/Amps. For iem discussion -> >>/iem/

When asking for recommendations give us the following:

> Budget
> Open/Closed
> Previous headphones
> Preferred sound signature

Attached: DSC_1159.jpg (5333x3000, 3.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Stax-SR-84-Lambda-Pro-Jr-Headphones-New-Old-Stock/383081204348?epid=28032167416
amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Gaming-Headset-Surround-Switch/dp/B073Z7TQC2?th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1st for SUMMIT FI

Attached: E3B116B7-5C12-447E-9494-38781A965738.jpg (4032x3024, 2.5M)

Spending more then $100 on a dac is a waste, dacs are snake oil. Dacs are the 2nd biggest snake oil scam in this hobby only behind audiophile cables. Also, spending more then a few hundred dollars on a headphone setup is insane when speakers exist. (agelets who live with their parents notwithstanding) smell ya later nerds

Anyone got that infogram from a few threads back?

yeah

hd668b flat and boring.
want more bass for all the techno I listen to. budget $100

Fancy posting it there lad?

Are Grados a meme?

I've got a dell laptop which comes with this Maxx Audio Pro idk what the fuck faggotry that modifies sound, disabling it along realtek drivers and using the windows drivers gives even shittier sound quality. Is there any way that I could get over this random faggotry with an external sound card or anything? It's just fucking faggotry having this shitty program with their SuperFaggotBassBoosterEffectCockSuckNigger

/Thread

so what’re listening to user, don’t be bashful

Attached: E8D02AB3-8DF3-4DC2-92CD-743D9AC4A84A.jpg (3383x3018, 1.8M)

What the FUCK is that Op even. Just sell your shit retard. Why would you keep ANYTHING but the adi-2 ? It's all redundant.

bass and treble fags should commit suicide.

Not if you want balanced XLR out. But I agree that spending more than $250 on a dac is dumb.

Attached: headphone tiers.png (1536x3123, 1.39M)

What headphone should I get for head thumping bass?

Attached: 37834626_2123748441238807_5024554713421447168_n.jpg (1080x1107, 147K)

why would you need xlr for home use, especially for your 6" lines from the dac to the amp

lcd-4

This is the most American picture imaginable.

Because balanced XLR outputs at 4v.

absultanely dabbing like an incel

Attached: anakin.gif (335x318, 1.97M)

Stop being poor, ok?

Imagine now owning Stax

Attached: 3mpuzRG.jpg (2448x3264, 1.6M)

What do you guys think of the AKG K7XXs? Just got a pair and on first listen I'm kinda disappointed after hearing so many good things.

Gonna give them some time but overall not a great first impression.

Attached: SL6Kkt6MSwa5HaNPEHKw_AI7B6117_copy_20170804123424.jpg (1080x1080, 87K)

What's wrong with Stax?

overpriced chinese garbage piled on the back of a long gone jap brand
outperformed by $300 headphones

go away discord tranny

Asked in another thread but not many people bit
>$500
>open
>Fidelio X1, HD6XX
>Flat, analytic
Looking to replace my HD6XX with a new daily. Current dac/amp is a Modi/Magni 2.

sendy aiva

Koss ESP/95X

You can get a used Elex, a used Aeon Flow or a DT 1990 Pro and EQ down the treble.

tfw my HD650s died a while back

My roommate bought me a pair of the Drop HiFiman 4xxs but idk how I feel about them at all.

how do these even die

buy replacement 650 drivers

Elex or 1990. Probably 1990 if you want to skip the stupid popping, even if it's really high dB, some people got it at a lower dB

There's a lightly used DT1990 nearby for $425 and I'm tempted... Should I expect a reasonable difference vs my 6XX?

based
especially when a $7 dac performs good enough and better than most $200+ 'boutique' brands

Attached: free reply.png (758x481, 80K)

this, but STOP BEING POOR

Same guy, I'm doing it, and will just resell if I don't dig it

what are you amping them with

I like to start off the day with Sennheiser hd800s and Woo wa22

Attached: AEB065A8-73AC-455D-877C-D8130AF88EA0.jpg (2772x3698, 2.07M)

Is the Edition XX just a cheaper Arya?

Tell me all about your RME. I'm so close to the checkout button.

Give them some time, a couple days at least. After the first day, don't be afraid to give them a little bump here or there on the EQ. Just small ones.

Honestly
has a point.

so are hifiman chink build quality with hifi sound?

Help

I can't decide what to buy. I want an open back for music listening and gaming (not at the same time). Imaging and soundstage are important here. Might even occasionally get used with virtual surround DSP for games. Comfort is huge. I've got a good amp that will drive any headphone already. I don't really want to need to buy another open back ever again.

$Sennheiser HD 58X

$500-600. All of these offer some significant selling point over the others.
>HIFIMAN Edition XX
>Koss ESP/95X
>Beyerdynamic DT 1990

$1000+. At the boundary of spend where I start having a hard time believing there could really be much perceivable performance over the $500 category, but they do have some distinguishing features in terms of build quality and aesthetic.
>Sennheiser HD800S
>Audeze LCD-X

Attached: 1294991460559.jpg (1680x1050, 387K)

Pretty much this as far as I can tell. They're like chink Audeze, but probably have more high level degrees in their staff.

they're genuinely good headphones. i found a pair of SR60s a long time ago, for 30 dollaz used.

they are good if they have fresh ear pads, otherwise they sound muddy. they are excellent for reproducing vocals.

see if you can find a cheap pair, they're worth trying at least.

only real complaint i have is that the headband is kinda shitty

Im using SHP9500 + Presonus audiobox USB headphone output. im pretty satisfied with how they sound, people call them a meme headphone, but DESU they really are good. the detail is very nice, its crisp without being fatiguing. pretty darn natural sounding headphones, nothing sounds out of place

i also use a set of speakers connected to an A/V amp for computer use, however, for critical listening, i use the SHP9500

grados being a meme is a meme.

What's the absolute biggest most insane bang for the buck headphone out there?

apple earpods

What in the fuck are these
ebay.com/itm/Stax-SR-84-Lambda-Pro-Jr-Headphones-New-Old-Stock/383081204348?epid=28032167416

Attached: SR84.jpg (729x1318, 135K)

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1427x1189, 226K)

My stax and magni 3 should be here in a day or two, what should I listen to first? I was thinking MJ or Pink Floyd

Attached: image.jpg (750x746, 113K)

schitt I meant 6xxs

HD58X
Superlux HD

HD668B if you're really poor.

Legitimately decent option for a true third world poorfag. With an Apple dongle and HD668b you'd be doing better than most people honestly.

Why not listen to what you would normally listen to instead of that pleb garbage?

Floyd. DSoTM or Wish You Were Here.

Is this a good price the Logitech g433 only other headphones I own are the sennheiser gsp 300 im happy with them but these look better just for gaming and walking

amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Gaming-Headset-Surround-Switch/dp/B073Z7TQC2?th=1

I don't really know what you're expecting to gain over your current pair with those. They aren't exactly a big step up or anything, and I can't imagine them really being better in any way.

they look retarded bro. but if you think it's cheap and looks good on you, then go for it. it's your money and dignity, not mine.

is there a free EQ program for the mac? Hate mac but im too poor for PC

>no audio technica headphones
>roomate
>normalfags
obviously

HAHA SO FUNNY

Attached: 2213158-stax-sr-l300-limited-simlar-to-stax-srl700.jpg (618x825, 68K)

is there a point of getting a DAC like the d10? Will it actually improve sound

Of course it will. What's the point in amplifying a noisy signal directly from the motherboard? And even when you own a gaymen mobo that has better grouding and isolation overall, dedicated chips will offer less noise and better resolution overall.

Attached: 13106925943.jpg (250x252, 63K)

this looks so fucking ridiculous

what do you faggots obsessed with this audio shit even listen to for real

Maybe to you but placebo is strong.

Are Argon Mk3s from Mod House worth it? I have HD600s and HD650s but I want something thats better for electronic and acoustic stuff.

Adding onto this, did the 600s dissapoint anyone else? I upgraded from my 599s and honestly I find them really boring, especially being as praised as they are

>honestly I find them really boring, especially being as praised as they are
Yep. Just google it and you get all kinds of responses like that.

They were the biggest letdown I’ve ever experienced, hd600 as soooooooo boring.

when will you fags learn that everything is a sidegrade until you get electrostats?

sure let me just get my $4000 check for anything decent

I found the hd600 disappointing too. No one seriously suggests they were ever hi-fi contenders, but today’s crowded budget mid-fi market really highlights how rusty and overpriced they are.

This

*downgrade

Why do speakers still exist when $100 headphones are better $50000 speakers? Is it just to milk dumb boomers, same as vinyl?

because some people actually want to share their music with other people

Can I plug a 3 hole/pin xlr cable into the front 4 hole/pin xlr plug? Or do I need a cable with the 4 pins? If so what does a 4 pin offer over a 3 pin xlr connection?

of this amp the Loxjie P20

Attached: 61vJleaBoKL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 13K)

got these on the way to me.
can't wait to test them.

Attached: Massdrop-x-HIFIMAN-HE4XX-Planar-Magnetic-Headphones-05.jpg (1300x1000, 191K)

Ain't hifiman build quality shit tho? Only thing stopping me from getting one. It's one of the things I like about Sennheiser, a part breaks just replace it easily.

Ive got a sound related question
Foobar allows me to switch to asio4all sound driver
Is there a similar option for mpc hc?
(My default driver is shit)

acquired the dt1990 as an upgrade from my 6XX
>bright, like people always said
>songs that are mixed bright become tinny beyond belief and the tone
of everything is thrown totally off
>imaging is tasty regardless
>download some educated dude's EQ
EQ'd to be as flat as they can, they feel like the "just werks" of audio. Beastly build quality, great imaging, now flat sound, etc. These are probably going to be my only desk headphones for years.

>Buy decent wired headphones and speakers
>Download 24-bit 192kHz audio
>Try listening through expensive DAC
>Try listening to same track on phone converted to MP3

Can't hear any difference.exe
Bluetooth headphones from here on out lads.
My ears must be fucked from years of plane rides without ear protection (tinnitus.wav).
I was expecting to feel like the band was playing in front of me but it was a meme, for me a least.
It least now I can do away with having to deal with getting a cable snagged on everything and anything.
Press F to pay respects.

Attached: 1564126980708.png (640x1136, 1.2M)

so whats better for the price

In all seriousness, I’ve avoided DACs like the plague, they feel like complete snake oil. But, with really good headphones (HD800S/L700), would I need a DAC or is my MacBook Pro (work computer) headphone out good enough?
I’ve been wondering if I should buy something like the Dragonfly Black but I still feel like it’s a meme.

Imo 1990 will have better bass and stage. Might be a bit bright since 6xx is warmish, but the treble is also better quality.

Update us, I was gonna get one today but the chink build quality kinda put me back a bit. So I just got a cheapo Edition S.

Edition XX is a cheaper HEXV2. Apparently warmer than Ananda and Arya, with more body and bass, probably slightly worse details.

Just go 800S and never upgrade until Sennheiser release a new one.

Lmao you probably will find it bright coming from 6xx. Though imo the 6xx was too warm and "veiled". Just sounded too gooey for me.

According to Marv, RME has a shitty headphone out and even Schiit Fulla 2 sounds better.

DACs are not a meme.
Onboard audio is.
If you have over $100 headphones, do yourself a favor and get some cheap combo.

While Marv's opinion of many things may be valid he's still a literal retard and couldn't understand how to use half of the rme's features if you showed him really slowly without throwing a fit so he's the last person to ask about that

It’s not about the features, it’s the headphone output. He said that the DAC is actually pretty good for a delta-sigma chip, but the amp is worse than your typical 100 dollar amps. It’s not recommended as an all-in-one unit.

How much should I spend? Is the $100 Dragonfly Black enough, or should I get something else? I have no issue spending the money on it, I just don’t want to spend money on snake oil.