Who here uses Linux Mint and why?

After finding a web dev job Im slowly finding myself in a position where i dont care about ricing or obscure distros anymore. Have any of you migrated back to Mint or more mainstream distros because of this?

Attached: serveimage.png (960x960, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i use openSUSE cause I don't like ricing. it justwerks

>and why?
just werks and i cbf to use anything else

What's ricing ?

>can't google
>s-spoon feed me info
i guess i can relate with the whole distro hopping thing. really linux nowadays just werks unless you use a distro thats still new. obviously mint and ubuntu wipe your ass to the max and guarantee it werks. except pic fucking related... >2019
>19.10
this shit still haunts me... fuck you nigger distro

Attached: ubuntu-apport.png (525x176, 24K)

Use mint LMDE cinnamon for a few reasons. First it just works, I feel like I have fewer issues in it over regular mint. And I like cinnamon as my desktop environment so I felt it makes sense to use the distro that started it.

i have been hooked on mint cinnamon for 7 years now... my experience was the opposite i had a few issues when i tried LMDE... considering mint is cinnamon and cinnamon is mint might as well go all in... if was going to be contrarian id go with Devuan + Cinnamon

>Linux Mint
rebranding of Ubuntu

Not exactly, Mint adds improvements on the UI, the packages and often times they fix bugs, also iirc there are several versions that do not rely on Ubuntu anymore but Debian directly.

>Ubuntu
rebranding of Debian

ubuntu fucked up with unity and mir they can suck a bag of dicks

mint is cinnamon and its pretty polished all round and i like their default programs it ships with and the mint-Y dark theme is kino

correct.. i always felt more like they stole debians limelight

I would be using Manjaro right now if it wasn't for their shit repository.
Mint "just werks" and that's enough for me.

My sister uses linux mint...
actually, I installed it on her computer. She hates libreoffice btw.

Attached: 1554777149805.gif (540x528, 1.71M)

Debian + Xfce thinking about going back to kubuntu or Ubuntu + Xfce

I started on Mint because my room mate and I shared a Windows computer. Said room mate was a dumbass who got up to 15 viruses a week. I had to use really powerful antivirus software to keep the computer functional. After I got Mint and set up a special account for Dumbass I never saw another virus.

Mint is a pretty simple to set up distro with a lot of customization options. Make it pretty, strap it down so retards can't bork it, and have an easygoing time using your computer. Great for pros and newbs alike. No spyware, either.

Mint devs fuck up debian package guidelines.
Just use debian or some flavor of ubuntu.

Mint is Ubuntu minus the spyware.

>i cant uninstall an optional amazon package that was removed years ago.
Mint is ubuntu minus competent devs.

I’m using Ubuntu with a Mate desktop and I get a lot more work done than most people.

The fact they added this package in the first place is a good reason not to trust vanilla Ubuntu. It's Microsoft-tier low.

ubuntu mates is actually good especially if you are using PowerPC hardware... werks great on my powerbook G4

The fact that Mint borked releases with badly named packages, incompatible repos, had breaches of their server and shipped malware isos for a few days is good reason not to trust Mint either.
If you hate ubuntu, fine dont use it, but mint is at least objectively worse.

i use mint, it just werks

Mint xfce master race.

Considering jumping to manjaro for rolling release, I dont like cinnamon so LMDE is not an option

Those are mistakes and are fixable by updates. A conscious decision to add malware to a system with that Amazon thing Ubuntu did is something very different. I would rather deal with someone who made a stupid mistake than someone who is trying to fuck my privacy for cash.

Then id suggest debian, fedora, or opensuse above mint.

I actually graduated on to Bodhi. I like keeping it simple and light. I figure if I need it I'll download it.

Fucking this!

Also this.

Ricing is needlessly spending gobs of time modifying the visual aspects of a desktop environment. It distracts from actually using the system.

It was my first experience with Linux until I learned bash using fedora with virtualization.then I wanted to run Linux nativly but fedora didn't like my amd apu.lm was the only distro that accepted but with heavy tweaking(network,track pad)
So all in all the main reason I use lm is
IT JUST WERKS

>Debian
THEY killed the founder and insert bonet

>Not exactly
exactly, THEY use same update servers

>job Im slowly finding myself in a position where i dont care about ricing or obscure distros anymore
Yes, literally me.
That is why I use Arch.

>rice stuff once
>CP dotfiles to new distro
>done

the asolute most retarded useless faggot i know in real life uses linux mint

Debian, Manjaro or Mint. For me, Debian.

I use it on one of my machines.
>why?
Because I'm too lazy to install arch on it. Till it werks I'll probably won't care.

Ricing is a poison found naturally in castor beans. If castor beans are chewed and swallowed, the released ricing can cause injury. Ricing can be made from the waste material left over from processing castor beans. It can be in the form of a powder, a mist, or a pellet, or it can be dissolved in water or weak acid.

Attached: Ricing.png (817x444, 82K)

Why the fuck would people even use Mint over something like Ubuntu?

Unity. Shuttleworth was told repeatedly that the userbase universally hated it, but he just wouldn't listen. That's when the mass exodus to Mint occured.

Ubuntu isn't unity. They ship every major DE in their repositories.

No one cares, we all switched to Mint years ago. It isn't just that Unity was completely shit, it was the blatant disrespect to the userbase.

>Ricing
Listen.... I'm gonna stop you right there....
It's Ricin.

Python everywhere, also should I give Linux mint another try?

Sure, no better way to realize it's still trash.

>tfw you kinda feel alone having mint and kde in 2019
I just really REALLY like both things.
a-anyone still here with the same setup?

Attached: wotdog.jpg (235x343, 18K)

>
Literally same, is your sister a bitch too?

>they still trust mint after that download page snafu

Attached: 1563364457832.gif (400x225, 2.64M)

I installed mint and I'm having issues with my graphics card. I have an r9 390. It will occassionally fuck up and my screen will be like "scrolled over" where the right side of the screen will be on the left side and the left side will be on the left side with a big bar in the middle where there is no image. Anyone know what the fuck is with that? Also if I ever try to play a game the sound will occassionally cut out.

Shit just werks otherwise though.

you have to be over 18 here
get out

no u

what did she mean by this?

>Who here uses Linux Mint
I do
>and why
It just works

Attached: 1560115356739.jpg (1012x1324, 290K)

Why should I use opensuse over Ubuntu or manjaro? What does it offer that the two I mentioned doesn't? Serious question.

>3 additional anime videos watched
>100 additional posts to Jow Forums and /lgbt/
>10 extra screenfetches per hour
>5 extra 'good boy' points
>tell the Internet you get more work done

>i dont care about ricing or obscure distros anymore
>That is why I use Arch

Attached: Anus Eyes.jpg (1200x951, 108K)

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

and from linux mint blog itself, if you read the comment section, you'd learn that they didnt use https before, and was hacked multiple times.
blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

I put it on my mum's laptop, she's technologically reatrded yet manages to get on with it okay.

Yes, Ubuntu on work and home pc. I only ever install dash to dock other than that i like it stock.

Attached: m7529jxvep321.jpg (867x552, 53K)

I don't like Linux Mint because they change the release name.

For example 19 Tara, 19.1 Tessa, 19.2 Tina, are all based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic, but they change the name for the DISTRIB_CODENAME in /etc/lsb-release

So when you go to add an Ubuntu PPA, instead of adding "bionic" to the line it adds "tessa" or "tina" and results in a 404 when you try to install stuff from the repository. Just a stupid "customization" from the Mint team that ends in annoyance.

I much prefer KDE neon, which is Ubuntu 18.04 with the latest KDE. It doesn't change the release name in lsb-release so you can add PPAs with ease, also much less hacky than Mint.

I meant actual work fren. Clocking a hundred or so commits per week. Zero time wasted on ricing or trying to make my desktop work.

i use mint because theres no reason to leave it...its riced thogh