Ive just realized that Canonical, the company behind ubuntu, is a for profit corporation

Ive just realized that Canonical, the company behind ubuntu, is a for profit corporation.
Debian also has corporate sponsors and red hat also contributes to the linux ecosystem and is also for profit.
Free software is a lie.

Attached: images (61).jpg (609x503, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsdfoundation.org/contributors.html
gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/sponsors/
archlinux.org/donate/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Based faggot retard.

Free as in libre, not gratis.

What about Arch and Gentoo, the supremo autismo distros? There's also Trisquel, shilled heavily by our lord and saviour.

However, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and DragonFlyBSD are free from corporate and for-profit influence. Try them out.

Adding in Void and Bodhi. Mint is fairly clean, too.

The only way free software will ever work is when big companies help it and support it.

They need a reason to support the free software (they sell licenses, support etc) an exchange for making the software not shit, even then it's pretty shit in comparison to anything Apple makes.

Having sponsors is not the same thing as being a for profit corporation. Debian is as free as they come. Even FSF endorsed distros aren't as freedom as Debian, they prevent you from installing nonfree software.

fpbp

no, whats a lie is that free software = communism ie doesnt pay

That took you a long time.

>Debian also has corporate sponsors
So has KDE and many other major open source projects.

>Free software is a lie.
???
Nowhere in most open source licenses is it forbidden to operate a for profit company?
What exactly is being lied about.

>OpenBSD
Sponsored by Microsoft, Facebook, Yandex, Google.
openbsdfoundation.org/contributors.html

>What about Arch and Gentoo
Arch apparently just has two corporate sponsors, Gentoo multiple.
Among them Nvidia and HP.
gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/sponsors/
archlinux.org/donate/

I like software and performance. No thanks

>mfw its canon

Attached: 15122783379311.jpg (556x730, 278K)

you dumb motherfucker. It's not a crime to make $ off libre software as rms will tell you.

ITT: braindead frogshit cannot tell libre and gratis free, regardless of how many times it was explained by Stallman and man.

>arch
>supremo autismo
t. `look ma i managed to read a page with 20 commands and typed them down`
>NVIDIA has provided the Gentoo project with numerous AMD development machines and video cards to further development of Gentoo on the Athlon XP and Athlon64 platforms.
>NVIDIA
>provided the Gentoo project with numerous AMD development machines
nani?

Ubuntu, Debian and the Linux kernel are all non-free software.

Yes, and?
Let's see an operating system sponsored by pocket money:
freedos

Okay, have fun. Retard.

>NVIDIA has provided the Gentoo project with numerous AMD development machines and video cards to further development of Gentoo on the Athlon XP and Athlon64 platforms.
Is this why Linus said
>Fuck nvidia

>AthlonXP
>Athlon64
This was before amd bought ati.

>Athlon XP and Athlon64
user, this was long before AMD bought up ATI.

>Yes, and?
The claim that they are free from corporate influence seems to be highly dubious.

But don't get me wrong, I don't think this is really "bad" and I am completely fine with FOSS projects taking corporate money.

Corporates give that money to ensure that the handy software they use themselves is kept alive. Free software is far from useless.

Free as in freedom. As long as the software remains free it doesn't matter who supports it.

>Free software is a lie.
Free as in not free unless you redefine the word free like some newspeak cult member.