Is Audio/Sound Engineering a Good Field To Get Into Or Is It Dying?

Thinking of doing an apprenticeship and becoming a Sound engineer. Good or bad idea? I like the technical aspect of music the most.

I'm just worried more people will just do all the basic stuff at home putting me out of a job, or is there still a need for sound engineers?

Attached: sound-engineer.jpg (744x446, 52K)

Watch SpectreStudio on YouTube to get an idea of how shit it is

>I'm just worried more people will just do all the basic stuff at home putting me out of a job,

How the fuck do you mix a live event or recording session from home?

Terrible idea because massive competition. The music industry is the few who are awesome, not the masses of unemployed. Get a career with a future.

FUCK BASS PLAYERS LMAO

live and/or broadcast. do the music bit as a hobby.

I was referring to non live events, I want to do both tho

>SpectreStudio
I have seen some of his vids, and honestly I would enjoy the problems of dealing with the musicians, adds a more personal aspect to it and keeps the job different, stopping it from getting repetitive.

What job also takes advantage of the technical knowledge of music? I'm interested in the science behind audio as well like how it all actually works.

mastering or forensics

What do you mean? Do you mean do stuff for performances and stuff? I like that all except for the unpredictable work hours, at least with studio stuff you know that your going in next monday, which could end up being late, but at least it's not as all over the place as AV technician stuff.

Brother does it as a 3rd job

if you want your life to be a massive hustle, and if you want to have to start your own business and promote yourself shamelessly, go for it

what op's attached pic is doing.

I like both, but don't know much about forensics. right now I could go either way, just looking now into the forensics side a bit and it seems really cool.

OP here, just randomly chose that pic lol. What are the hours usually like on those kinda jobs? I just dislike jobs with unpredictable hours.

Wouldn't working for an Audio company/recording place be fine as well? there are several in my city.

What does he do for his other 2?

whatever the job requires. if it's theater then it'll be when the shows are on. same with tv and radio.

With jobs like that, are there many times where you have no job at all? If so what should I do to earn a living in the downtimes?

make audiophool products and sell them for massive markups. Not even joking.

no doubt. make samples/foley work or work retail.

>foley work
How do I get into that kind of stuff? Like how would I go about getting jobs for that?

good luck

Ill go work for Beats, EZ. Jokes aside what kinda products would be good to sell to audiophools? Don't have the equipment to make actual headphones.

Can't tell if that's a sarcastic good luck or not. If so why?

cables are pretty ez

Ah yes, haven't made any before but that would be easy.

gearslutz.com

i love pro audio equipment

Attached: MG06-large.jpg (567x750, 77K)

Yep, obviously your craftmanship skills will kinda dictate how much you can get away with charging, but if you sell them on a professional looking website and say that they actively combat rotational velodensity or some shit, and make sure you use silver coated wire, then you could probably charge a fair bit.

you could also buy a zoom recorder and record yourself or others walking about, beating things, etc.

Oh god no

Even just the fact that it's hand made would probably be good as well.

wtf

Yeah, ditto.

nani?

Bumping

Attached: keeenwood.png (402x261, 133K)

Promotion and a 8 to 10

Promotion as in editing songs to show small excerpts of songs? by 8 to 10 i assume you mean a regular retail job?

Promotion's involve getting the word out as well as making sure the venues prepared. Surprisingly it also involves keeping the band members on board and practicing the playlist.engineering seems like the least difficult because it's the only part he does %100 himself.

It's a fucking terrible idea that will completely destroy any enjoyment you get out of music and gigs forever. Consistent work is hard to come by and you will have to let it take over your entire life at a moment's notice, you will have no routine, your personal relationships will suffer and you will not be able to do any 'normal' life stuff with any sense of regularity. Get a regular job.

t. touring live sound engineer

>How the fuck do you mix a live event or recording session from home?
With long range bluetooth

I hear Behringer make great mixing desks.

they do [spoiler]now[/spoiler]