Any reason to buy a new CPU after 2005?

Any reason to buy a new CPU after 2005?

Attached: Cip6MuIXAAA9cfm.jpg (1152x768, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-launches-first-10th-gen-intel-core-processors-redefining-next-era-laptop-experiences/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

special socket

I buy new intel CPU every year.

Higher instruction per clock ratio.

More cache

> Clock speed is the most important thing in a CPU
I see you're a very smart person

Attached: 1564571826581.jpg (1280x720, 338K)

If you believe that CPU Performance = clock speed you are thoroughly misinformed.

IPC improvements are incremental and almost in the noise margin from generation to generation.
I've been running a 4790k for years and dont plan on getting another cpu for a few more years unless they can get one to clock 5GHz with a standard heat sink.
For general shit, CPU's have been fast enough for years. I just got my kids some intel NUC desktops, running linux. They're pretty happy.

What's the alternative, not buying a cpu for your new build?

dont bother doing a new build as frequently and run your old one for a few more years.

Yes yes, but getting specifically a 2005 CPU due the clock rate being the same is quite dumb because you end up with a netburst.

>What's the alternative
Keeping your CPU longer and only upgrade it when there is a significant difference.

>o clock 5GHz with a standard heat sink
how do we browse the same board? u are borderline retarded
except latest gen intel cpus clock to 5Ghz at lower voltages

and like others said, its about new features, like better intrinsics, AES built in, bigger cache, better IPC

>new build
once every 10 years

Strawman, show me the FLOPS and IOPS statistics instead.

And what if my old one breaks and I want new, warrantied parts? Or if a friend needs a new build? Should I just mislead him into second hand parts?

>I just got my kids some intel NUC desktops, running linux
>running linux
be careful user, in most 1st world countries this is considered child abuse

>And what if my old one breaks and I want new, warrantied parts? Or if a friend needs a new build?
Then you have a reason to buy a CPU after 2005.

Cars haven't increased top speed since the 1940s. No reason to ever buy a new car, right?

>And what if my old one breaks and I want new, warrantied parts?
Then you buy a new one and use it until there is enough of a difference to upgrade.

So dont get one with a retarded arch and its retarded 33-stage deep pipeline. I think PSC and CDM were that bad, WMT may have been slightly better.
Get one that's a generation or two or three old. I doubt most people could tell the difference, and you can skip the premium price on the latest and "greatest". I'd just buy slightly older cpu from ebay and not take a hit on depreciation for the new cpus.

t. worked on validation team for various pentium4 procs back in the day.

my kids are high-IQ fortunately, not dumb niggers.

>and like others said, its about new features, like better intrinsics, AES built in, bigger cache, better IPC
fag. I'm glad marketing is controlling your thought process.
I doubt you even know what the working set of your fucking of your software is and wouldn't benefit from cache improvement. You've never fired up a profiler or valgrind and none of your software is compiled to use the latest instructions.

Kids nowadays play fortnite so yours will grow up to be dumb spergs like you.

I accept your challenge. I compared keepass with -Os -march=x86-64 versus -Ofast -march=native on my 2500U and the latter opened and closed my database almost twice as fast.

Realistically if you just play games at 60 fps and do normie stuff not really.

> I am an outlier
for most who run stock shit its irrelevant.

That just isn't true.
My i5 2500k performs horribly in many games, I even have to close my browser to make certain games playable, although the GPU/RAM is far away from maximum load.

my kids dont play fortnite. and at least I have kids, faggot.

newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-launches-first-10th-gen-intel-core-processors-redefining-next-era-laptop-experiences/

THANK YOU BASED INTEL

We live in a society that doesn't need loner kids with psycho genes.

nope.
intel peaked with the i7 2600k, literally never obsolete.

Ive got a classic car from the 1950s that looks better than any of the copy and paste cars of today, so yes there is no need to get a new car.

>I'm glad marketing is controlling your thought process.

imagine being so poor u need to insult other people to justify your deluded reality u place urself in over $500 CPU, maybe u should have used condoms u fucking retard so u'd have money to buy a CPU fan instead of crying for stock cooler 5Ghz upgrade

>That just isn't true.
>My i5 2500k performs horribly in many games, I even have to close my browser to make certain games playable, although the GPU/RAM is far away from maximum load.
Which games? Some shit games are coded so poorly nothing will run them well.

Why bother with clocks and per-core performance when you can just slap more cores?

>Which games?
GTA5 was the most extreme example.

>nothing will run them well.
Again, just closing a YouTube Video increases the fps by 10, so it most definitely isn't "just" the game but an actual need in Performance.

>Only clock speed matters.
You must be 18 to be here.

Increasing the GHZ has diminishing returns on performance/Watt

and due to mobile devices growth, all CPU manufacturers are focusing on performance/watt instead of raw performance

which is why Intel CPU performance has increased so little in the last years

Last performance bump that was actually noticeable in daily use was when I bought a core 2 duo
Change my mind

go overclock ur cpu from stock to 4.7 GhZ all cores/c-state disabled and then look at ur DPC latency and also measure how fast everything will be

I didn't need to OC the C2D with LN cooling to notice the difference though

i5 2500k sandy bridge overclocked to 4.6ghz

?? 1g of conductonaut costs $10 u retard and u can OC to 4.7 on stock cooler if u want to

>muh clock
I bet you bought Pentium 4 instead of Athlon64 back in the day

good, maybe software developers should start cleaning their room and washing their penis now

>we live in a society
>kids should play fortnite
I bet you're not older than 16.

Yep, my pc died, completely finished.
That is a good reason.
Dead as a rock.

not him, but mostly GTA and Forza.
Both run far better on 3700X on the same GPU (Vega56)

t. retard boomer still believing the megahurtz myth

>Again, just closing a YouTube Video increases the fps by 10, so it most definitely isn't "just" the game but an actual need in Performance.
Rockstar PC ports are a joke, that CPU is 3 or 4 times as powerful as a PS4 CPU. Anything made by competent devs will struggle to be CPU bound on i5/i7 desktops. Maybe when the new consoles with zen2 cores are out we might see more CPU use it will be the first time consoles have had a cpu more powerful than a budget laptop.

>t. retarded zoomer believing in GAMING CACHE

That it is Rockstars fault doesn't mean this isn't a reason to get a new CPU if I cared about being able to play GTA5 fluently.

yeah bruh, I'm sure your athlon64 processor is just as good as a modern cpu from 2019

While processors have gotten more powerful, the programs have also become lazier, more bloated, and less efficient. My core2duo laptop from 2008 never had a problem browsing the internet when it was new. But now it chugs just doing something as simple as that. This isn't nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses, it's that developers have taken the gains in processing power as an excuse to just get lazier and lazier with their shit.

no thanks

>Any reason to buy a new CPU after 2005?
No, as long as you keep using pre 2006 software.