90s/early 2000s web nostalgia thread

What do you miss about the early web lads?
youtu.be/2LzyRcLJdlg

Attached: 830-1388079129622.jpg (830x451, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

peelopaalu.neocities.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=THeDlvLI3nk
hamsterdance.org/hamsterdance/
makefrontendshitagain.party/
madebyevan.com/webgl-water/
coldwar.org.uk/
rinkworks.com/stupid/
youtube.com/watch?v=ojT0gQHeyJQ
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/
vimm.net/
stars.chromeexperiments.com/
cameronsworld.net/
groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.games.video/IKQkExqofSA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltaVista
thepalace.com/
cs.virginia.edu/oracle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That back when it was around I didn't want to die every single day

I miss all sorts of stuff from that time period, but oddly enough, one of the weirder things I miss are the endless link directories/"my favourite sites" pages people used to put on their shitty Geocities sites. I used to find so much cool shit just hopping from one site to another back then.

I actually tried putting something together a few days ago to try and recapture that feel and also list some of the new and old interesting shit I come across. An user in another thread asked me for a link to it yesterday but the thread 404'd. Can have a look at it on Neoshitties if you want, I tried to make it period-appropriate: peelopaalu.neocities.org/

Attached: 1564582974588.jpg (362x362, 21K)

Attached: 1564482064438.jpg (801x600, 104K)

Nice user, I'll check it out

Thanks, let me know if you have anything to suggest. Always looking for new shit.

Attached: habbocn.gif (640x478, 118K)

youtube.com/watch?v=THeDlvLI3nk

Attached: screens_feature-8613.jpg (320x213, 13K)

Good fucking lord, I remember this.

Attached: 1564443266175.jpg (1024x768, 103K)

also Tucker Max

Attached: tbpitu.png (1345x527, 245K)

I used to be able to look through websites for hours and hours and always being on something new, then something happened and all the sudden there aren't any random joe blow websites, theyre all big publishers.

World Wide Web actually used to be a web, as in you'd find random shit by people linking stuff on their websites they found cool. Now the internet centers around about 20 major sites

Who the hell likes this design? Who enjoys looking at shitposts made in HTML?

StumbleUpon was god tier

Very cool site user

Attached: condescending brianna.png (268x266, 91K)

I miss this!!:
hamsterdance.org/hamsterdance/

>I used to be able to look through websites for hours and hours and always being on something new
>you'd find random shit by people linking stuff on their websites they found cool.
iktf bros, I found some of my favourite forums and stuff back in the day this way, and now everything is just the same old bullshit. I made my directory in the hope that someone would stumble across it and have the same sort of experience I had all those years ago.
Thanks user, always accepting link suggestions if you have anything in mind. New, old, whatever.
HTML shithole websites were garbage back in the day, but now they're more or less extinct it makes me miss them. Things were much simpler and way funner back then. The rewarding feeling of finding something funny or cool among all of the dog turd websites was awesome.

Attached: boomer.jpg (480x360, 30K)

Found this on your site, feels like I'm playing Warioware or something
makefrontendshitagain.party/

some sites i know
subbrit.co.uk (cool directory of underground places in the uk (including nuclear bunkers and roc posts)
madebyevan.com/webgl-water/ (water simulation in browser
Amazing blog on uk nuclear prepadness
coldwar.org.uk/

Walk down memory lane...

Attached: Internet Memory 1.jpg (724x1024, 197K)

Attached: mplayer.jpg (1024x744, 159K)

Not exactly the same era as 90's, but the same principals are in play I think so it feels right for the thread...

Attached: Internet Memory 2.jpg (724x1024, 168K)

I wondered if some day we'd feel like this. I hope it never gets this bad.

Keep fighting for net neutrality and lack of censorship! I miss the freedom of the 90's sometimes.

Attached: Internet Memory 3.jpg (724x1024, 110K)

Nothing. Because some of them are still around. I bookmarked this site in 1999:
The Computer Stupidities site
rinkworks.com/stupid/

I'm really curious how old sites are up to this day. I mean, they're completely dead but somehow the server they're stored in is still up. What exactly leads to this? You would think that if you have a dead website taking up space you would just take it down once and for all or that, if you used someone else's server, the license would eventually expire, but somehow this doesn't happen as often, so what gives?
I'm talking out of my ass, btw.

These are all awesome, thanks user. Added them to the list.

Attached: 1564497380776.jpg (3072x2304, 511K)

Make your font size larger do you think we're all using binoculars motherfucker

I miss being able to find literally anything if you looked hard enough. I also miss the lack of filtering on search engines where how popular a site actually mattered and it wasn't some guy gaming the algorithm forever. I so SEO for a living and it's sickening the hoops people use just to get clicks these days.

People need to bring back webrings and making things. I know the old webring.org site is still around but needs to be updated. People also need to get off failbook and actually make things again! Social media is one of the worst things to happen to the internet. Usernames being required is poison, too.

Attached: 90s best buy.jpg (627x762, 144K)

Take a trip back to 1996

youtube.com/watch?v=ojT0gQHeyJQ

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/ (Directory of images taken from nasa missions in very high quality (files avalible in png and tif)
vimm.net/ old but still updated rom site
has full sets for most emulateble systems going up to wii and psp
www.windy.com (world map of wind and weather paterns
stars.chromeexperiments.com/ (interactive map of our galaxy
we should have regular threads for this

Get a load of this eyelet. Just zoom in if it's too hard to read for you, making it too big would make it less comfy.

Anyone who thinks that 10px is an okay size for body text has brain damage.

> hold Ctrl & +
You're welcome. At least it's better than the 1 px black on black mindfucks people use to put on Angelfire.

very nice user, thanks for sharing
fucking classic
I agree

As I said, some are still around. Some are more relevant now than before.
I bookmarked this site in 1999 also: IMDb.com

Already have Vimm on the list, but I'll be sure to add the rest of these, thanks mang. The fact that Vimm still exists, never mind the fact that it's still fucking updated blows my mind. I really wish we could have more threads like this as well.
If other people have issues with the text being too small I'll consider changing it, but this thing was made with much smaller screen sizes in mind. Trying to go for the old look to fit the theme of what the site is. 's solution is what I'd recommend you do for the time being. Also, fuck Angelfire.
Thanks man, glad you like it.

Attached: 1564607814244.jpg (1024x768, 234K)

You can do font sizes in percentages and variable widths. It's a thing now. Use EM instead of PX if memory serves.

cameronsworld.net/
There is so much content here, random things are links to old geocities pages, you could spend hours just exploring it all.

Excellent time waster

>WPN111
I still have this piece of shit.

>being this incredibly tech illiterate
Sad!

Epic level nostalgia bomb of eyerape with a midi. Yes.

RIP Maddox

Sorry meant to reply to a different user

Nintendo vs Sega 1989 usenet thread :

groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.games.video/IKQkExqofSA

I've used the analogy of it now being a bicycle wheel, where you can go to the rim all you like, but all paths lead back to only the center.

Honestly I miss that people used to post whatever they thought was cool
It didn't matter that I thought their webpage looked silly or that I thought their hobby was dumb, they were at least passionate and there was a tight knit audience for it
Nowadays everything needs to gain mass appeal and the only social media hosts that are popular don't allow any customization of your page except tumblr and reddit, and even those two are pretty restrictive compared to geocities

Attached: bee yourself.png (650x500, 308K)

bro, this is awesome

you are the hero we need, but don't deserve

I want to go back too OP.

Attached: 1564441168217.jpg (1280x1024, 236K)

I still don't get why that stuff went away besides a deliberate attempt to suck some of the joy out of life.

Attached: sad berry.png (822x899, 37K)

The internet went from being a broken down neighbourhood of latch key kids and weirdos getting evicted over time until the land was bought up and flattened to be replaced a strip mall with websites aiming to be Apple or Gap stores.

Jesus Christ, that's the most depressing analogy I've heard in a while.
I feel it. Back in 2001 I had a shitty fan-page for Habbo Hotel that I hosted on GeoCities, and loads of random Germans and Finns used to love it. I got fucking loads of emails from people offering me in-game items to create shitty MS-Paint alts and absolute garbage-tier gifs of their Habbos holding guns and stuff (similar to pic related). I really miss the autism. It was fun.
y-you too..

Forgot the fucking image.

Attached: Badduck.gif (253x184, 13K)

I actually dropped few tears for this. I love to hate you anons

Attached: 1557656115235.png (648x586, 198K)

What shocks me is how quickly a cultural trend can just utterly vanish. People act like this is normal, but humans just aren't meant for this level of transience.

this. im traumatized that my mind still misses the old days

>Jesus Christ, that's the most depressing analogy I've heard in a while.
Another depressing analogy is that the internet used to be a vibrant high street with all kinds of different shops and cafes that now lies mostly abandoned, with fake fronts in the windows of closed businesses to make it seem like there's actually life there. It's a theme throughout a lot of towns and villages in the UK. My town had an entire street about 100 metres long and not one shop remained open on it. On either side of the street. I remember driving down it the day they had put all the fake posters up in the window and it just felt fucking weird. Then I was like "internet shopping did this"... then I realised a handful of companies had done the exact same thing to the rest of the fucking internet.

It used to be that a child know the songs and stories that their grandparents knew, and so on in to the past for generations. But now you can have siblings with a totally different cultural background.

I wonder how many ghost sites there are. On the web, on a server, connected, but never accessed.

The site I miss the most, though, is altavista.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltaVista

I'm unironically using a CRT monitor right the fuck now. I have newer [arguably better] monitors, but I always fall back to this one sooner or later.

You can use a program called nmap to scan the internet for random web servers. You might find some ghost sites that way.

Where can I find someone like Olia to be my friend and cuddle with me? ;_;

>itt zoomers larp as boomers

MS COMIC CHAT

CRT's just have that peak level of comfy. I remember years ago everyone was saying how they were destroying peoples eyesight and shit, but I oddly I only ever got eye strain from more modern computer monitors from 2008 onwards. The lighting with CRT's seemed way softer where the newer shit is harsh as fuck like a bug-zapper to me.

Attached: 1564518043781.jpg (1280x960, 113K)

This is actually one of the main reasons I started using my CRT monitor again. If I'm on my computer is most likely at night and in a dark room, which makes the back-light bleed from newer panels extremely annoying and tiring, even VA. My phone has an AMOLED display, so I'm not sure it would magically be fixed by using an OLED monitor (if there even were affordable ones in the first place). If I'm planning on staying awake all night I definitely need my CRT to keep me company.

I still have my old amber monochrome monitor (which was old even when I got it), and its the most pleasant experience I ever had with any monitor. Because the black is completely "off", there's none of that "staring at a wall of light bulbs" that I get with modern monitors that seem to get bigger and brighter every year. And speaking of that, I hate how screens are taking up and increasingly dominant position.

>What do you miss about the early web lads?
That the internet wasn't dominated by like 4 companies
That there were more people who used the internet to talk about their hobbies or to learn something, now internet just blends in with real life.

Attached: 1556447045962.jpg (236x250, 11K)

Also people making things. I'm fucking sick of "commentators" and "analysis."

Wish I could find a modern 4:3 monitor, or 5:4. I hate 16:9. Something like 1600x1200 pixels would be perfect. Even 1280x1024 or whatever the fuck it was. I miss those days. Getting work done on a widescreen is annoying.

the guy needs to be morbidly obese and a nigger in order for this to be realistic

>I so SEO for a living
thanks for helping kill the internet faggot

I miss totse. I put so much time there it definitely shaped who i was

I totally forgot that place even existed until I saw a link to a Totse archive. I spent so much goddamn time on there. Would post it but I'm phoneposting from the shitter, can find it on here if you want to have a look

Attached: 1564430928260.png (666x622, 301K)

zoomers need not apply

Attached: HomestarRunnerCast.png (538x388, 78K)

And we love to hate you, too. We're all here forever after all...

god i miss this shit so much.

The Palace is still around. thepalace.com/

Chat House is dead, though.

Attached: palace crowd.gif (521x454, 84K)

I've not found an "interesting" web site for ages. I remember finding an old "blog" by a Vietnamese farmer who only updated twice a year with a massive text file talking about his harvest, etc. for that year as a way to practice his English. Was really nice to read.

God damnit, someone bring back the old internet as with some virtualization shit or something. I want to go back to the time when the web was straight, white and male.

As a result of when they were created, most of these websites don't take up much file space. Lots of plain text, a few gifs and jpgs; if the sever is still up why bother deleting the files?

Just stumbled upon this yesterday. My body is ready.

Attached: IMG_20190801_120035.jpg (4032x3024, 3.15M)

It all went to shit with apple releasing the iphone.
Mid 2k was peak comfy.

I thought the Emily is Away series did a pretty good (not perfect) job capturing the "feel" of this era.

Also, ytmnd.

anonymous, public accessable chatrooms with rooms for whatever topic where you could just drop in. in austria we still had one but it's now closing down since it was only accessable by internet explorer since firefox 53 came out and dropped java support for it. a part of my youth died with it.

I miss when normalfags weren't injecting politics into everything online.

>Google some medical issue
>Get the same collection of journashit does all regurgitating the same entry-level advice/facts every time instead of blogs or forums who actually somehow seem to have actual insight despite being written by amateurs
Don't remember if it was different back then but I suspect it was

This is actually pretty good user

The Oracle of Bacon is still around.
Another link I bookmarked in 1999.
cs.virginia.edu/oracle/ redirects to current address

I will never stop being glad about the ToastyTech site still being up.
It is a gem.

>I used to be able to look through websites for hours and hours and always being on something new
honestly, this so fucking much

Yeah if it never died I have to wonder if it would have evolved into a Steam type of thing.

Post a link if you find it again. I'd be interested in checking this out.
Post your findings user.
Where are you finding these? Just have your old desktop laying around or something?

>Google before 2000
>search engine
>google after 2018
>bond tier evil multinational brainwashing&censoring the masses and rigging elections on a global scale.

How the fuck did that happen?

theres wiby.me which is just a search for old websites made in the early ways

Google was funded in part by the US government defense budget. They wanted to find a way to track what people did on the internet, Google was the result.

IT WAS ALWAYS AN EVIL BOND TIER THING

It's a shame Altavista fizzled out.

does anyone have the video of the guy on irl and japanese music is in the background in the 90s

>now internet just blends in with real life.
this is it, this is exactly it. the main thing is to treat the internet as a different place, not your shitting ground.
my take is before there was more respect and a different way you talked to people because you knew you were entering another space. but because of laptops and later smartphone it change to how you say. so nothing to distinguish. we need to distance ourselves before it gets worse

and by worse i mean.. vr

It's a freaking search engine of the whole internet. Everyone uses it, imagine the revenue. It was bound to happen.