How much does VRAM matter?

>RX 580 4GB v 8GB
>$185 v $215
>$35 difference between 2 cards

Is VRAM a meme or does it really matter? Yeah I know that some gaymes need higher amounts for higher settings, but aside from that, is there a real difference in how a card will perform with 4GB v 8GB in things like video encoding, etc?

Attached: a2e3f6d9-4a8c-4c6d-a200-45420599069a.png (1200x660, 1.15M)

I thought the 1660 ti I bought would be relatively future proof, but the new cyberpunk game says it doesn't meet the minimum requirements because it's only 6gb.

Attached: received_506692886750303.jpg (1920x1080, 191K)

How did you find out the minimum requirements? This game doesn't even come out until next year right? That being said I'm sorry to hear that, I hope my RX 580 8GB can run that shit when it comes out.

As far as I know VRAM matters in games as you said for settings like textures, and then when you do video editing it matters even more if you edit something in 4K for example
Linus had a video testing those Nvidia cards that go for thousands that have tons of VRAM against a 1080 and it had a negligent effect though, shit like "yeah this shit costs 5x more and you render 2 minutes faster kek" if my memory serves me well
The only case where I see some card with 20GB of VRAM being useful is in movie editing

>the new cyberpunk game says it doesn't meet the minimum requirements because it's only 6gb.
Where did you see this? I haven't found this information anywhere. The requirements haven't been released afaik

Eh, I was dicking around on canyourunit after building the PC two months ago and checked cyberpunk for the hell of it. Take this with a grain of salt, but I was told I need at least 8gb.

That's way overpriced. Get an 8 GB one used for ~$100 USD.

You'll be hard pressed to find an 8GB RX 580 for $100. You might be able to get a 570 at that price, but a good one with a decent cooler is gonna be at least $130.

Rx580 8gb not only has more vram but is faster too so yes in my opinion is worth.
Or get 1660 it might be similar in price and is faster with much less power usage.

VRAM matters but I don't think a mid-tier card like RX 580 really needs 8GB

VRAM becomes more relevant the higher your resolution is. If you game at 4K then 8GB+ of VRAM is mandatory. If you game at 1080p then GB is plenty

I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, which is from like 2015 or 2016, and I wasn't able to play at the highest settings on my RX 570 4GB because the 4 gigglebytes wasn't enough.

...more like RX 570 wasn't enough

That game is like from 2013, you must be thinking about shadow of tomb raider.
Or you did some dumb shit like turning SMAA into max or something.

>4 GB
Do not.
The 580 is powerful enough that you'll really want the 8 GB version.

the RX 570 was fine for high, it just couldn't do highest. It would always crash, and a message would come up that says highest settings requires more than 4GB of Vram

pic related brother. There are so many of these games that it can be hard to keep track sometimes.

Attached: rise of the tomb raider.png (921x401, 257K)

Yea now I remember they named 2013 version just tomb raider and then released same gameplay twice with better graphics and worse stories.
Still I think 570 can run rise of tomb raider at max unless you turn on SMAA or if you are CPU limited.

That's doubtful. I don't doubt it's able to use more than 6GB, but there's no way you can't run the game just fine on less if you lower texture quality.

$215 is way too much

they go for $160 with a game all the time.

My Microcenter had a Powercolor Radeon Rx 570 4gb model for 129.99
8gb model for 149.99

I decided to not be a nigger and spend the extra $20. What, like a McDonalds Meal more in price for 2x more VRAM?

you can easily get an 8gb 580 for under $200, there's really no reason to go for the 4gb model

>$20 for a meal at mickey dicks
dude, you need to stop eating so much, it'll kill you

what the actual fuck?

Attached: .png (1232x683, 1.38M)

you can get a 590 for $190

Nice to have but more than %90 of the titles don't use much
Faster gpu/$ is better than more vram

Anyway 4GB can get too low with polaris current prices doesn't hurt to go 8GB

Attached: RX 580 nitro+.jpg (1280x4582, 528K)

Buy ex mining cards if the seller has big stock like 20 cards you can be assured those cards ran with custom firmware, to maximize watt/mined, so the cards are not as worn out as gaming + oc
GL

I have 2 and have no need for more.

>RX 580
Nigga what are you doing get a 1660.

6GB seems to be enough for 1080p.

Big, high quality high resolution textures need tons of vram, all games that need to load lots of assets.

Wow I didn't see that at first but that's hilariace, what the hell is that guy doing?
dude why DO you have a CPU cooler sitting on the top of your case?

wrong, he should be getting a 590 at that price
590 also has 8gb ram which is important and in next gen games it probably wont even be half what you need with all the vram theyre adding

how bad is a gtx 970 3gb today?

Really depends on what games you play and what you end up using in them. For most stuff that an RX 580 is actually capable of the 4gb variants are fine. Chances are you wont really push close to 4gb of vram usage in the games it can play at the resolutions and settings they would be running at.
GTA V 1440p maxed for example, wouldnt use over 3.5-3.8gb tops.
And thats a pretty vram intensive game

a lot of the larger vram cards you see today on lower end GPUs are really just to get those consumers who think
>vram quantity = performance
hence why there are 4gb GT 730's and 8gb RX 470's

Cuck here who bought the RTX 2060 non-super with 6GB of VRAM. Don't repeat my mistake. VRAM absolutely matters.

My 2GB GTX 1050 is enough for gaming in 1080p

However, I use medium settings for new AAA titles.

Should have bought GTX 1070 bro, it was $50-100 cheaper, faster and has 8gb.

VRAM matters for larger resolution or when your game uses large chunks of effects/models and the gpu core can't keep up. If you got slow gpu core, vRAM doesn't matter much.

Mordhau can't run at Ultra texture settings with 4gb vram, I know that much. When your run out of vram you start getting stuttering constantly as if the game is using your pagefile.

You hit the VRAM limit in high res or in games that are coded by retards. I was hitting 7,5gb vram usage in Fallout 76 in 1080p. God that game was shit.

why did you choose that card my friend? Price or simply for lack of a 6 pin requirement?

>7,5
Why do Euros insist on using a comma instead of a decimal? Makes no sense to me and aesthetically looks terrible. Other than that, yeah, I agree, it's pretty ridiculous when a 1080p game needs 7+GB of VRAM to run at the highest settings (DE:MD, Tomb Raider, etc). Maybe the devs do that on purpose to let cucks like me with an RX 580 try to enjoy as much as possible of what that card can offer.

I replaced the stock cpu cooler with the cooler master cooler and the fan came DOA. So I swapped a fan from the top onto the new cooler and repurposed the old stock cooler fan.

beautiful, nice work user

I have a GTX 980 but I'm considering upgrading to a RX 5700 XT after market cooler or a RTX 270 Super just so I can play monster hunter with high res textures.
I'm going to give my GTX 980 to my younger brother who is using a GTX 660 so it's not a total waste.

4gb is enough for all default/stock game

modded game on the other hand 6 is barely minimum

You can live with 4gb vram you just have to turn down textures, resolution, and anti-aliasing. If you like those things buy vram.

Also yes you have to enable a lot less mods especially graphics mods.

Personally I would buy the VRAM. You will notice many people tell you to buy the VRAM. This is because cards with VRAM are better today and hold their value a lot better. It's definitely worth the money.

3x Noctua.
Nice!