What does Jow Forums think about buying refurbished laptops?

Attached: FB_IMG_1564506901774.jpg (718x960, 92K)

i don't use refurbished woman why would i buy a refurbished laptop?

check out thinkpad general, they swear by it. I got a decent x220 but ended up selling it to fuel my drug habit.

Was considering buying a refurbished laptop for uni, i have a refurbished desktop which worked fine, just want to know some opinions

Certain laptops known for long lifespan are okay, and it's getting better now that technology is progressing at a snail's pace.
But, generally:
>Buying a 3 year old item that has a lifespan of 2 years
No thank you.

Honestly thought the think pad thing was just a g meme, will give them a look thanks

Yea, i had read somewhere that you should only really consider refurbs if they come from a trusted vendor or you can get a decent warranty i.e a year or more

I've gotten a factory refurbished ThinkPad T440p. I have no real problems with it, especially after upgrading the crappy screen to 1080p IPS, changing the DVD drive for a HDD I can hot swap back to DVD if needed, and upgrading the wifi to 802.11ac.

I also have an HP Probook x360 EE I got refurbished for about $200. Again things went pretty well. It's small, light and has no vents or fans at all. It seems to be built better than most laptops since it's engineered to withstand zoomzoom students. I did have one issue with it being refurb: the idiot who refurbed it installed a Lenovo desktop image to it, so nothing worked right hardware-wise. I told the seller about this and he said he gets them from "Microsoft" this way and would talk to someone there about it. Not that it mattered for me since I was already going to wipe it and install a different OS.

Yea the amount of sellers who will list themselves as 'genuine microsoft sellers' is crazy, might consider a think pad tho

The rest of the machine was fine. Gill Bates only screwed up the image he flashed on it.

Bad idea. You can't swap out components like with desktops, one failure can turn your laptop into a paperweight.

I need a laptop between 200-300£. Do I go for refurbished or do I buy a brand new one that's crappy? I really just need it for very basic use.

underrated post

Old thinkpad you can swap anything np ez

I bought an X220 for 100 odd quid 2 years ago to use for uni assignments and its only needed a 3 quid network card.

The build of it is completely overhyped but it was cheap as hell and still has a nice keyboard, so who cares.

based

Op here, thanks for the response, ill probably wait until my student loan comes in anyway before buying but i appreciate the feedback

Get a refurbished. Only retards pay retail price

DIY refurbishing can save you money and work just as well as a newer model. I'm currently working on upgrading a Latitude E6510 to 8 GB RAM. I already have a stripped down fresh install of windows 10 in it. The RAM is on order. I have a 1 TB external drive already for storage space.

I got the laptop off a college student on Craigslist who didn't want to bother with it any more. The RAM is costing me $20. The external drive was $40. That's $60 for a dual core with 8 GB RAM and over a terabyte of hard drive space that can run Windows 10.

I'm tempted to sell the thing and repeat the process.

Pick a laptop based on if it can be upgraded or not. Always. If you can upgrade it, it's OK for it to be a bit older. I like the Latitude series because of this and the metal cases that the series tends to have. I'm a sucker for aluminum casings.

Go refurbished... or, better yet, get one that isn't even upgraded and upgrade it. See above. If you literally don't need specific software, add on linux and strip it down to make it fly. Bodhi is very light. Only install what you need to save hard drive space.

Attached: khajiit has wares box.png (543x478, 373K)

I bought one once, was just a shitty quad core pentium acer, cost next to nothing but came as good as new condition - i regret nothing

Because you can ejaculate over it

Refurbished means used with a new battery or screen. It's still used you may as well buy lightly used for less.

redpilled

You dont use women period, who are you kidding...

Haha...

Someone gave me an Asus x54c that had a broken DC jack. So I replaced it, and upgraded the Pentium b960 to an i5 2450 for $15. Had an SSD laying around, threw that in with pirated windows, and I've got another 4 gigs RAM in the mail. Oh and I put a 7200 Mha Battery on it.

I've noticed that it's more than fast enough for most tasks, and runs visual studio just fine.

I think I've spent maybe $50 on it. Probably could sell it for double that.

Attached: craptop.png (654x473, 45K)