SSD

Reminder there are still people on this board who run their OS on a mechanical drive.

Attached: ssd.jpg (865x479, 331K)

I Raid1 over 2 disks and run plex, much better option for 4tb drives than a single ssd. Still run OS on ssd tho.

I have both.

2x2TB drives for general storage and work stuff.
1TB m.2 drive for Games.
240GB SSD for Windows & Ubuntu

what is ReadyBoost and sleep mode?

Attached: HINDY_WIFU.jpg (1080x720, 209K)

>os and programs on ssd
>everything else + games on mechanical because games are bloated and take 50+gb

Attached: 1482242346887.png (1280x1483, 41K)

I had ssd as soon as i could afford it ez
'12 i think if not '11 for €50
That 60GB OCZ SSD is still working on my netbook
Great upgrade

I still have my previous OS install on my HDD from before I bought an SSD and reinstalled it on that. Just yesterday I accidentally booted into the OS on the hard drive and jesus christ everything felt so slow.
I'm spoiled. HDDs only for large data storage.

What I have mine in a SAS raid array.

>SAS raid array
that's even more expensive than an ssd

My PC boots up in 1 minute or so, which is fast to me.
SSDs are useless and unreliable.

1 minute boots suck if you're trying to overclock or undervolt

You're gonna feel so fucking dumb in a few years when you actually do try an SSD.

Because you have to boot up for 45 seconds longer before running an hour long stress test?

Boot times aren't the reason you get an SSD. Everything you do is snappy as fuck. You never have to experience clicking on a directory and waiting even half a second for it to open.

You fucking boomers need to crawl out from under your rocks.

I have an SSD in my Windows PC I use for games, but I'm sold on the technology whatsoever.

boomers gonna boom what do you expect

>paying 10x the amount of money for the same amount of storage
>calling anyone else stupid
Oh the irony!

Go defrag your harddrive. I think it's making you accidentally write retarded shit.

1. Raw disk speed measurements are no indication of actual real life performance.
2. Every single SSD I've ever seen in action, new, good, bad, old, etc, etc, has been barelyl faster than a decent fucking HDD.
3. SSDs are notorious for randomly failing and losing data -- they don't stop working, you can reformat them and have them work again, but they just randomly have their contents corrupted beyond repair. This is a huge issue with SSD that has never been that big of a problem with properly used, good quality HDDs.
SSD is overrated garbage and no one should be using them.

the dumbest thing is that you can have multiple drives. i have hard drives and ssds. if you think they're unreliable then keep redundancy.

r8 my write speed
(1.8 GB/s)

Attached: 2019-08-01-201225_1282x897_scrot.png (1282x897, 869K)

It's only 4.5 times as expensive as of today

can confirm. SSD in my 8 year old laptop.

Attached: ssd.png (395x359, 44K)

SSD is the worst cancer I ever had to go through.

>fails after less than 2 years
>still within warranty, gets replaced
>failing again now, has ~2 months left to live

I kept meticulously good care of it. I did everything I could - I had nothing but my OS on the SSD, I even moved all the Windows bullshit default documents to my regular hard drive.

And still, this is what I get.

my newer mechanical drives also fail after 4 years, never tried ssd, they seem like a meme to sell more crap

>He doesn't have an nvme drive

What a faggot

Never buy SSD from SanDisk. My systems (Linux or windows) sometimes are unresponsive as fuck!

This ultranormie right here

Attached: 15a.jpg (1003x960, 130K)

Let me guess - Eastern Europe. In CEE countries, the SSDs sold in computers are used up SSDs from returned computers from Western EU countries.

These goys are 100% guaranteed US/West EU/East Asia.

>he fell for the ssd meme

Attached: virgin ssd vs chad hdd.jpg (1801x1339, 801K)

I don't even own an ssd.

Where do you live, in africa?
I bought my first ssd 5 years ago and I don't have a lot of money. Still works fine btw.

How do you explains those fucking linux commands?
>"Ah, yes, "scrot""
>"Scrotum? As in ballsack?"
>"No, no. *laughs nervously; face red*. You got it all wron-"
>"I knew you computer autists were perverts. I'm going to call Chad to beat you up".
Many such cases!

My SSDs (5 in total) are still at 100% life expectancy, with 4000h of uptime.

Lucky you.
My dead SSD pile is higher than my dead HDD pile - despite having had HDDs for 20 years, and SSDs for 4. Currently, I only have two SSDs that work - the rest simply play dead when plugged in. At least the dead HDDs whirr or click.

That's some of the dumbest shit ITT.
I have a 64GB Crucial M4 that's still running, that I bought in 2012.
Over the years I have also bought 480GB Crucial M500, 750GB MX500, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO and 500GB 970 EVO. Not one of them have failed so far.

To be honest that 8 year old drive with MLC can probably write over 200mb/s through the entire drive, while new TLC/QLC crap reduces speed to 100mb/s after 40GB of transfer.

how much TB did you put through them?

I have a 5 years old Crucial M500 250GB with total writes at 26TB.. No problems.

it's rated for 75TB or something, which today would be considered bad.

>a 64GB Crucial M4 that's still running, that I bought in 2012.
Where did you buy it? Location, nigger.

would ssd drive improve this pc lads?

Attached: screenshot.221.jpg (674x391, 98K)

I thought it was quite obviously implied I live in an EE country. Bought it at a small computer shop near my apartment block.

Yea, it randomly erases itself every now and again so great

I eventually moved to a SSD when I struggled with the constant thrashing caused by Windows. It would take 10 minutes to boot. I now use a 2TB 970 Evo.

>fell for the budget build meme back in 2013
>bought shit motherboard with sata2 maximum
if only you knew how bad things really are

The main performance benefit is the random read speeds which don't even reach SATA 1 speeds.

>still quoting tbw
>like it has anything to do with the bullet-to-the-brain controller failure that over 90% of dead ssds suffer
Seriously, let it go.

This this and THIS.
TBW has nothing to do with you rebooting your computer and getting "no boot medium system halted".

Attached: 55fj43.jpg (402x402, 105K)

SSD will improve boot time and r/w speed of your computer but old computer is still old computer

Russia?

Sonce we're talking about ssd, what is the bottom of the barrel stuff that you guys would recommend? Adata? Kingspec?

My hard drive is on its last leg so I'm considering a SSD upgrade on a cheap

Kingston is the worst

Kingston is actually cheaper than Adata of similar capacity and isn't a totally chink like kingspec. If you want an upgrade on a cheap Kingston is a good brand to go

I only use kingspec once on a computer I didn't care about and while it's still going strong I wouldn't recommend on your main machine

I wouldn't call Kingston the worst, sure it's not Samsung/Intel/Crucial/ level but it's far from being the worst, not even Adata, Toshiba, OCZ, Transcend are THE worst

system on SSD? LOL!

quality 480 gb ssd-s are cheap now. Pretty much at the same price as a WD Blue 1tb HDD

Just backup your important data. If it does randomly corrupt then at most you are going to loose your Windows/linux installation

Based and redpilled

You realize AppData will still be on the SSD, right?

Based

I do, u mad bro?

Dumb vermin gaymer. Enjoy your SSD destroying itself within 6 months from now