/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: Good evening. What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: dpt3.jpg (900x700, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

codersnotes.com/notes/a-constructive-look-at-templeos/
knowyourmeme.com/memes/sneeds-feed-and-seed
cplusplus.com/info/history/
krautplausch.hopto.org
brevzin.github.io/c /2019/07/28/comparisons-cpp20/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-way_comparison
youtube.com/watch?v=m8UCZfaYACo
youtube.com/watch?v=KQoJo81lujk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for python

First for fighting in /MLC/

Attached: growl.jpg (300x438, 23K)

first for holyC, killing trannys and insulting jannies but I need that one user to tell me why C is an embarassment to comp sci

Nothing as usual.

Good OP pic, keep making the pedoweebs seethe

fuck it triggers me when retards talk about "pythonic" code and writing "beautiful" code

this is how you know someone produces nothing worthwhile with their code and has to look for meaning in the "beauty" of their code.

Lisp is the most powerful programming language.

Thanks. I worked really hard on it. For about two minutes.

sneeeeeed

FUCK sepples

Take it to /mlc/

Attached: monads.jpg (338x499, 63K)

Isn't one of the rules of Python that just because you can do something in one line doesn't mean you should and clean code is better than one liners?

Java's twitter account is probably the only decent comedy you'll find on that garbage website.

Attached: 1564667769610.jpg (450x399, 140K)

holyC is unironically an amazing language
codersnotes.com/notes/a-constructive-look-at-templeos/

interesting, thanks for the link

I just got an offer for a junior java developer position. I have to get a Salesforce Platform Developer I Certificate before I join. Has anyone had to do such a thing?

Attached: 1564280829531.jpg (640x838, 86K)

idk

learn Lisp desu

real new thread

This guy is a troll. Compare thread timestamps.

This thread was posted before the previous thread reached the bump limit. Invalid.

Doesn't matter, intentional threadsplitting should be a bannable offense.

If it were, you would be banned.

Is Haskell marketable? Or should I try to learn something else?

It's one of the less marketable languages but I'm glad I read a book about it because I encounter code snippets from smart people who write Haskell.

if you know where to look, haskell has plenty of jobs. I've been seeing it even pop up on more popular job sites lately. It's just not as blatantly popular as the usuals because a lot of companies don't feel like switching or trying it until FAANG start ciclejerking over it.

It isn't marketable. You should be studying Lisp instead.

Which language does generics the best?

i will throat-punch the first person to say c++

>if you know where to look
Where would that be?
>tfw third worlder
Don't know why I bother desu

For C# and C++, what are some questions you would ask someone looking for a new grad software dev job?

Haskell has higher kinded types, so you can be generic over type constructors.

learn the basic constructs and some libs that will be used in the job you choose.

>>tfw third worlder
ye goodluck with that m8.
Haskell is growing in the finance and legal sectors though. As well as very slowly for backend webdev. So you probably won't find much in the usual enterprise shitholes.

>tfw found out about co-coding yesterday and started to code with senpai

Attached: Vigorous.png (686x580, 425K)

Is there an x86 assembly IDE that shows you all memory, instructions and registers?
I wanna be able to step through instructions and see every change to memory and registers easily.

I just made special debug macros to do all that. My professor did too.

IDA

gdb

FUCK sepples SEXUALLY!

Attached: 1540957408171.png (800x636, 238K)

Just added some minor features to my toy lang, like C calling conventions and optimizing conditionals by using TEST when I can. It's made me appreciate sepples which I once hated. Going through this process caused me to understand the decisions they made even if I went about them differently.

What's this Sneed meme?
Is it that Sneed seed and feed from the Simpsons?

Attached: AAB8608A-685A-45E1-B449-A72AE442FFDC.png (785x757, 309K)

Yeah, but I can't get the context. It's always some user posting "Sneed" but I can't figure out what's the meme about.

knowyourmeme.com/memes/sneeds-feed-and-seed

I understand the joke. I don't understand why it's posted out of the blue.

cplusplus.com/info/history/
It should be a cute 40yo milf

It's like a /tv/ trolling thing to spam it everywhere
They must think it's funny

based

40yo loli

is there a way to instruct GDB to stop execution when a variable changes state? I have a variable changing state when it's not suppoed to happen and have a hard time finding the line that causes it

You want watchpoints.

perfect, thank you.

I've improved the code of my chat again. It's built with PHP, JS and SQL and stands in the tradition of old fashioned web chats.

The whole chat script will get released later.

krautplausch.hopto.org

Attached: 2323.jpg (1024x1024, 73K)

Let's say I just joined a team and I'm greeted by a humongous poorly documented codebase.
Also assume that coworkers are smug fucks who reply "it's trivial, hahaha" or do Shakespearian display of being annoyed when I ask for hand holding guidance on getting started.
How do I quickly familiarize myself with such a mess?

Let's say I want to learn c# to get out of this awful fucking hell desk job where I sit around for 7 hours a day doing nothing.

What else can I do to learn other than amke games in Unity because I have no desire to use it for anything else since I have no need or interesting in applications as a hobby.

Working up the courage to start applying for freelance jobs now that I have some really good Django/Flask projects.
I'll probably just pussy out again though and keep coding as a hobby, while I work the same low paying dead-end job (since I don't mind it).

>Working up the courage to start applying for freelance jobs
Would it make it easier if you pretend that you're not really applying for the job but just practicing your sales pitch?

I have nothing to practice/improve on. My other jobs have been through friends and family so I don't even know where to start with interviews and applications. Plus I'm self taught so I probably have some big gaps in knowledge that will surface and I'm gonna embarrass myself and waste people's time.

Yikes

They want you to write salesforce integrations which are in java

Go for it, but look to move after 1y if you are stuck in saleaforce

Haskell, but you get minus points for using “generics” when you are most likely referring to ad-hoc polymorphism and/or parametric polymorphism

>codersnotes.com/notes/a-constructive-look-at-templeos/
>constructive
like yeah dude, he was really controversial I'm going to put clear virtue signalling distancing language in my article title, like, yeah

Disgusting degenerate. Here's a better title "A look at TempleOS".
wwwwwwhhhoooooaaaaa ARE YOU A RACIST for even ACKNOWLEDGING this PIECE OF SOFTWARE?

You play by their rules, you implicitly confirm and accept their power and your subjugation. Terry would be ashamed of that limp wristed faggot nigger cattle, and his shithead article.

holyc is a shitlang tbqh all the "features" it adds to C are niggerlicious

the JITted idea is pretty good though

>I probably have some big gaps in knowledge that will surface and I'm gonna embarrass myself and waste people's time.
This is not unique to people who are self-taught.

If you want to keep learning first, have you studied algorithms yet?

>"I am familiar with natural language processing"
>used python to analyze facebook messages
wtf is with this resume-spinning culture???

Attached: 1489641085464.png (979x731, 20K)

Why are gamedevs so mean?

Attached: sepples.png (1080x802, 102K)

I don't know but I fucking hate it
>you don't need to know all the stuff on required skills

they're having a gamer moment

They were clamped, vaccinated, and circumcised.

Attached: clamp.jpg (2801x2202, 842K)

I see why.
brevzin.github.io/c /2019/07/28/comparisons-cpp20/
C++ programmers may be used to this kind of crazy complexity for something so simple.
But this is longer and more dense than the wikipedia article on the topic which covers the essence of the feature in many different languages.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-way_comparison

Attached: 29 minutes of overcomplicated feature.png (1080x385, 38K)

Why is == necessary if you have ?

Is this equivalent to Java comparators?

Yes. is the equivalent of compareTo.

Thanks.

π2th for Julia

>What are you working on, Jow Forums
Two threads, two posts, my visualiser with some popular song

Attached: scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.07M)

Neat. Is that an alien in the background?

makes things simpler, fucking retard.

It makes things simpler but the explanation linked wasn't simple.

The distinction between strong, weak and partial orders is something that should take a while to explain if you're not already familiar with mathematical relations.

ya from aphex twin song youtube.com/watch?v=m8UCZfaYACo

>Adding things simplifies them
literally what

Interesting sounds. Have you tried visualizing psytrance?

I've almost completely stopped using shorthand for variable names because it's not beneficial to anyone. The only exception is loop variables.

not in a while

Isn't the joke that it's CPP (cp p).

wow

Some editors have a form of naive auto-completion that runs fast and works pretty well for completing local variable names, even in dynamic languages. See if your editor can do it and bind it to an easy-to-reach key combination. In IntelliJ the feature is called Cyclic Expand Word.

Adding three way comparison takes away code you have to write.
Yes, it makes things simpler.

No that's not the joke because loli isn't CP.

The problem is that's client dependant rather than just being in the source. It helps keeps things simple during development too imo. If you start getting EnterpriseGradeLengthVariableNameFactory you know you're doing something wrong, instantly. Where as
egf = _EGF{dicks}
might seem acceptable.

Complexity isn't always about how much you have to write, it's about how many moving parts there are.

Legally, it depends on your jurisdiction. Mentally, yes.

Attached: not a pipe.jpg (560x417, 115K)

>before three-way comparison
Up to 6 moving parts.
>after three-way comparison
Now only up to 2, 99% of the time just 1 moving part.
Definitely looks better to me.

but it looks like that poop back and forth emoticon youtube.com/watch?v=KQoJo81lujk ))((

>before three-way comparison
6 operators that work like regular functions plus booleans.
>after three-way comparison
7 operators, 2 of which are magic and behave in different ways to the others, booleans plus 3 new types, all of which have further magic operations with the original 6 operators.

Face it, this crap is overengineered as fuck. All you ever needed was an enum and a compare function.

I've done it both ways and 3-way comparisons are definitely better. I'm surprised they aren't already in C++. Java has an equivalent in its Comparable interface forever.

>Java has an
Java has had an

what's a good personal project that a java developer can make so that it can be shared/showcased in a resume?

it depends on the job you're applying to

Point of sale/inventory program. God kill me if I ever had to do that