Gentle reminder not to call yourself a software engineer if you don't have an engineering degree

Gentle reminder not to call yourself a software engineer if you don't have an engineering degree.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cips.ca/softeng
careers.microsoft.com/professionals/us/en/search-results?rk=l-c-engineering
caselaw.findlaw.com/or-court-of-appeals/1623157.html
dllr.state.md.us/license/pe/pdf/03-pe-19.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

???? is for this youtuber??

Instathot whoring on youtube because her job pays too little?

Even if you have an engineering degree, you’re not an engineer unless you’re licensed and bonded by the state. Exceptions for people who drive trains and or have designed their own unique engines ONLY.

Engineering degree doesn't matter. You have to have spent time as an "Engineer in Training", earn the Iron Ring, and then complete the Professional Engineer Exam before you can call yourself an Engineer.

I call myself a software engineer and have an electrical engineering degree, so I guess that's fine.

I can understand arguing that being licensed is necessary (it's a stupid argument, but I can see someone making), but what in the actual fuck would bonding have to do with being able to call yourself an engineer?

Without securing a bond your license is hot air. Would you hire a general contractor to build a deck for your house if he wasn’t both licensed and bonded?

No, of course not. But apparently hiring an un-bonded engineer to write the software running on an airplane is just fine.

>electrical engineering degree

If you don't have an iron ring, and haven't passed the PE exam, then in most of the US and Canada, you are breaking the law if you call yourself an Engineer.

The Iron Ring is traditionally given to engineers in training by their mentor; they are traditionally made from the metal of a bridge or building that failed, to convey the message "Don't Fuck Up".

You have to spend several years as an EIT under a PE before you can take the PE exam to became a PE yourself.

That's my official job title. Seething "real engineers" earn half as much.

Have fun with that being your "job title" when a "real engineer" reports your company for describing unqualified people as "Engineers".

If you don't have an Iron Ring and haven't passed the PE exam, it is illegal to be called an engineer.

>Everyone is from Canada

My company is in the Fortune 500. Why didn't that happen already?

>>Everyone is from Canada

This is a US-based message board, and the "Iron Ring" applies to most of the US as well. If you were an Engineer, you would have known this.

what a qt

>Why didn't that happen already?

Maybe they're holding it in reserve if you fuck up? If you represented yourself as being an Engineer in a state where it is a restricted title, and you weren't actually qualified, your employer can claim back everything they paid you while they employed you. You broke the law and lied, so they can claim compensation.

cips.ca/softeng

Then why is the largest American company by market cap allowed to hire people without PE certification as "Engineers"?
careers.microsoft.com/professionals/us/en/search-results?rk=l-c-engineering

cips.ca/softeng

>apply for job
>employer accepts you as hire
>gives you a job title
but somehow the employee is responsible for all of this? think again, Mr. Smart Engineer.

Which state?

Have you read that link? It's basically pleading from a group of "computer scientists" begging the "professional engineers" to not enforce the legal restrictions on being called an engineer.

I believe it is every state in the US except for Lousiana (because they fall under French common law rather than English common law).

Then explain careers.microsoft.com/professionals/us/en/search-results?rk=l-c-engineering

If you represent yourself as being an "Engineer" without having passed the PE exam, that is on you. If Microsoft hires you, and later discovers you weren't a PE, they might have a back claim for the wages they paid you in the interim, since you lied to them.

I am not an ENGINEER.
I am an algorithmic researcher.

That's blatantly false.

I have a degree, signed it myself right after I dropped out of the most meaningless waste of time and money id ever started. Degrees are scam, my degree program was literally written by microsoft before being sold to my uni.

Before you rely on your own opinions or something you read online, you might want to check with your lawyer.

Mine has stressed strongly why I never want to call myself an Engineer since I left the job where I was an EIT before I qualified for the exam.

>engineering degree

It's not a be all end all kinda situation and I'd argue that you should only enroll in 4 year degree if you plan on going full academic career.

I only have an associate degree but after that I pursue stuff like CCNA/CCNP and MySQL and then worked as network technician for 3 years before getting my license

In fact, I'd recommend this over going for full 4 year degree. It's way cheaper and you'd almost guaranteed to get a job

Then your lawyer is an idiot because what you are saying has literally never happened before.

Dudes, I'm a sanitation engineer specilized in domestic appliances.

Nah, this only applies for positions that require a state license and are legally protected from non-licensed persons claiming the title, such as with physicians.

>civil engineering degree + computer science degree
Guess I'm a software engineer?

You might want to consult with a better lawyer since I can find dozens of instances on my first search for "engineer title lawsuit".

Your risk level may be higher than mine, but the prospect of having to repay everything I have been paid due to the misrepresentation of my qualifications has been enough for me to request variations on "member of technical staff" for my official job title, rather than software or systems "engineer".

>CCNA

Yeah and you need to retake them exams every couple year so no

>since I can find dozens of instances on my first search for "engineer title lawsuit"
Then post one.

Here's the first two examples:

caselaw.findlaw.com/or-court-of-appeals/1623157.html - while commonly believed to support anyone with an "engineering" degree calling themselves an "engineer", part of the defense was that the person in question had passed the PE exam.

dllr.state.md.us/license/pe/pdf/03-pe-19.pdf - one of several hundred where the person in question had failed to complete continuing education requirements, and could no longer call themselves an engineer.

It's like 2 days exam that only cost 300 bucks every 3 years are you that much of a kike?

The point of the exam itself is so you're updated with recent technology. It's not that hard to pass the damn thing and if you fail, whatever just take another exam next month

None of those have anything to do with calling yourself an "engineer", just people misrepresenting their certifications as a PE. Nice try.

>If you don't have an iron ring, and haven't passed the PE exam, then in most of the US and Canada, you are breaking the law if you call yourself an Engineer.
I have passed the PE exam (it's a fucking joke) and have no idea what an Iron Ring is supposed to be but I definitely don't need or want one.

dafuq is this PE bullshit. Both my parents and my brother are all engineers and none of them have ever had to take exams, CE credits, get an "engineering license" or any of this shit.

Nothing. It's just one idiot seething about how Software Engineers make more money than him.

PE exam is supposed to test one's competency not to find the best of the best so you have a functioning brain and not lying your way for a job it should be easy

>PE exam is supposed to test one's competency
Have you ever taken it? It absolutely does not do that. The vast majority of the questions have absolutely nothing to do with the subject under test and mostly just revolve around obscure an unused old units.

In most of the US, you need to be a PE to legally call yourself an "engineer". Its often not enforced until you fuck up.

It literally is not. You have not presented a single case where that is true.

>In most of the US, you need to be a PE to legally call yourself an "engineer"
You need to be a PE to represent yourself specifically as a PE. Anyone who does any engineering can call themselves an engineer, so long as they don't represent themselves as a licensed Professional Engineer.

I haven't seen any evidence from your side, but I've seen some from the other side.

No you haven't. The two links you posted were about calling yourself a PE, not an engineer.

That depends on the state.

>dropped out of HS
>job title “DevOps Engineer”
>Salary $112k + 10% bonus annually
>don’t live in hyperinflated city, 66% work is remote
>NEETs will fight me and tell me my “engineering” title isn’t real
Who cares at this point

Name one state.

Yeah, in most states you need to actually be a PE to legally represent yourself as a PE, but in some states you can represent yourself as a PE without actually being one because it isn't protected. There is however no state in the US where someone who practices engineering is not allowed to call themselves an engineer just because they aren't a licensed PE.

Alabama

False.

>False
You said name a state so I did. How can that be false?

Because you can call yourself an engineer in Alabama without a PE license.

name a state where you need a PE license to legally call yourself an engineer.

I didn't say you couldn't. All I did was name a state after being asked to name a state.
I can't. There aren't any.

Im a CS grad and im a software engineer

>software engineer
>real engineer
pick one

my dad's a software engineer, iron ring, licensed etc. He's a fucking idiot and his only skill in life is being able to do math. He has 0 clue how to conduct himself around other people, he has no clue how to contribute to team projects, and as a result has no friends or real skills that a team could use to develop a product. But hes good at math.

Degrees don't mean shit. I've met accountants smarter than some engineers.

How did he end up having sex and having you? Cheap hooker?

I want to have sexual intercourse and procreate with her

Does computer engineering count?

As a PoC I've been called "Enginigger". I don't appreciate it and would like to make this post a calling towards stopping that behaviour.

non-degree holding software engineer here. where the fuck did your shity degree get you?

>his only skill in life is being able to do math. He has 0 clue how to conduct himself around other people, he has no clue how to contribute to team projects, and as a result has no friends or real skills that a team could use
sounds like a fellow /gentooman/ from a few years back, before /v/tards showed up

Of course it does.

t.CE

This

Immagine being this retarded
Someone hire you just cause of your race and you start bragging about how good you are at your job

what about game engines :D :D :D

just a schizo

>no reply

Attached: 1564755451641.jpg (392x448, 82K)

>What do I do as a software engineer?
You go get the men their coffee sweetheart.

C O P E

>muh rules
>muh regulations
>muh big gubmint
>muh ordnung muss sein
cringy germanoid

Iron Ring is literally some stupid gradaution ritual written by Rudyard Kipling, renowned word engineer. It has nothing to do with being a real engineer or the PE anyway.

ITT: retards who think their local union owns the rights to the English language

it's not like any of you are taking care of actual engines, is it?

I call myself a software engineer because that's my job title

>because her job pays too little?
because she's shit at her job and only got it because of diversity quotas

>and only got it because of diversity quotas
It's funny to me that when a white man is incompetent , he's incompetent
But when a woman is incompetent then she only got a job because of "muh diversity quotas" a boogieman made up by autistic Jow Forumstards
Furthermore we don't even know that she's shit at her job

You know that? This board is really fucking stupid. You'd imagine a board with thousands of shills would have a little bit of awareness, but they don't.
This thread got over 80 replies and nobody has realized that OP's thread is a subtle shill thread.

The yellow roastie in OP's picture, or rather, OP "herself", is the yellow roastie. "She" has been shilling her videos on Jow Forums for years. If you look at her early videos on her YouTube channel, you'll see that almost all of her comments contain Jow Forums memes, meme arrows and other typical imageboard nonsense. That's because she's been shilling on Jow Forums for a long time. In fact, she got her own army of weebcel orbiters doing it for her, so I'm willing to bet OP is one of those weebcels in her Discord server.
You retards are giving her money, and a lot of it, because you autists are mentally ill.

Attached: 1488194736315.jpg (275x335, 64K)

cs undergrad here, i really really wish i could be a software engineer. i envy you so much

Attached: 243482_141604.jpg (295x489, 67K)

Why can't you be?

If a man is incompetent he got the job because if nepotism
If a woman or poc is incompetent they got the job because of nepotism or diversity quotaa

I am not a virgin

what would be the point of having ad blocking viewers? it's not like they are worth anything

Haha. It was at this point that op realized he was beaten and had no argument. Hilarious.

because i'm 21 years old already, turning 22 this year. studying for local universities exams would take about a year, which means that in the best case scenario i'd join engineering college by the time i'm 22~23. and if i fail the exam, it would take me another whole year of studying to attend the exam again. then add four years and a half until graduation. and there's no guarantee that i'm gonna be a good engineering either, considering that i'm not exactly what you would call an exceptionally smart person. and i've been told that you can get away with being a bad programmer but if you're a bad engineer, you're fucked. so it's all too scary for me to even try

good engineer* see i can barely type properly

LOL ok buddy
There are no good women software engineers. Period.
Name one

Protip, you can't.

here's the official list of accepted kinds of engineers:

military engineer
civil engineer
mechanical engineer
electrical engineer
chemical engineer

here are some examples of meme engineers:

meme engineer
financial engineer
social engineer
industrial engineer
software engineer
computer engineer

Lmao I started CS at 27 now I make 50k before even getting my degree, and you feel bad about not finishing before 23?

So meme engineers make twice as much money?

YouTube will not pay if your channel monetization option is not enabled. The channel monetization option has been enabled on "her" channel. You have no say in this matter. Be gone, weebcel shill.

Liskov

yeah, some meme engineers can make good money

but a girl selling her bath water can be a millionaire, capitalism is like that
rich doesn't mean smart or hard working

>but a girl selling her bath water can be a millionaire, capitalism is like that
Capitalism is based.