Why did you change to Linux?

Why did you change to Linux?

Attached: 1560486017707.png (265x314, 12K)

I didn't.

Ran faster than windows on my craptop.

fpbp

Did it for memes, ended up liking it better than windows.

it sucks but applel and winblows are worse.

because microsoft decided my pc can only run windows 10

Because my windows partition broke and I was like fuck this shit I don't need windows for anything.

Forced updates, shitty terminal, non-existent package management. The switch was difficult and frustrating at times (btw I use Arch) but it was worth it.

/thread

I did it because I didn't feel like pirating wangblows and it was free (as in beer). Stuck with it because I liked it and also inertia.

Ubuntu nigger here, why did you start with arch?

Mainly this followed up with the fact that everything I ran on Windows runs on gnu/linux as well

Got a virus, windows had been running slow as fuck so I decided to just wipe the drive and jump head first into GNU/Linux. Best decision ever

Because you use it since forever?
Based

I was really bored and decided to JustDoItTM. Realized i actually have no idea where my win10 key is even tho i thought i knew. Its too late to get of the ride now.
[spoiler]I actually like it[/spoiler]

I already had experience with Linux distros before fully switching to Arch Linux. I've used Debian and Ubuntu but every time the package manager would inevitably break. Also their packages were sometimes hilariously out of date. Arch Linux's pacman is one of the best package managers I've ever used and it's the main reason I use Arch.
In the used Thinkpad I've recently bought I installed Fedora because setting everything up in Arch is a hassle.

I'll keep using Ubuntu if I don't run into any issues.

>if it ain't broke don't fix it
smart decision

Tried reinstalling windows onto a new ssd. Windows didnt like that. There was a glitch with the version of windows I used that didnt allow me to boot off a thumb drive. Switched to xfce cuz I like having more RAM to myself. Loved the interface, terminal, AUR, and basically everything else about it.

got rich with crypto and now have enough money to spend my time with useless shit

Ease of maintenance, speed (at the time), security, jobs (wanted to learn), design philosophy.

runs better on my shittop than windows does and i hate microsoft on a personal level

should've installed manjaro on your laptop

because i didn't like windows 10

why install manjaro when I can copy-paste commands from the arch wiki?

Windows 10 kept breaking my shit, I reached a boiling point and said fuck it

What benefit Manjaro gives over Arch?

Yeah because he likes proprietary office suites on hie computer

Windows was boring for me

Was windows 7 user (and a user since 3.1), didn't like what I saw of the direction windows was going decided to break free, especially with how a lot has improved and keeps improving such as games.

Because I can't afford 100 dollars and I have no friends and I smell bad and I'm a virgin.
>btw I use Arch

This.

It's easier to program on Linux, that's about it, getting libs and compilers and shit was a giant pain in the ass on Windows. I don't know how much the situation has changed with Windows 10 though, I've heard many good things but yet can't be fucked to test.

Actually wanting to get things done, and it also has much better games (many libre games run on Win too, but poorly and building them is a torture).

>try it FOR FREE
>keep using it
>realise university assignments are all easier on linux (better support for programming, same environment as servers etc.)
>realise the unix design is amazing
>realise that i'm actually allowed to do what i want

'cause I like it

To fit in with Jow Forums

Attached: IMAG0520.jpg (3093x2686, 1.68M)

I changed to Linux(Debian in my case) because
>No breaks on updates(barely has any besides security ones) or upgrades as long as you know what you're doing
>It just runs, forever if I want
>Shit ton of packages(60k)
>No Blue screens(and no kernel panics yet, been using it for 12 years)
>Easy to setup as a server
>Easy to troubleshoot
>Games that I play run well on Debian so no point in dual boot
>Much lighter on resources, my laptop is 10 years old and windows 8/10 are ram devours

I love the gnu coreutils and use them quite a bit. At work I have them installed on but it doesnt seem as linux native experience. I also like that my OS comes with a package manager and scripting languages like bash. Can't stand powershell syntax now although I'm aware it's pretty powerful. Overall the computing environment is just more friendly to a hobbyist programmer and free software is a core part of that.

I had purchased a laptop when Windows 7 had come out, but after years of only using Mac desktops, I was extremely paranoid of Windows malware, so I installed Ubuntu 10.something or other. Been using Linux ever since. Shit's amazing, there's pretty much nothing you can't do with it. People call it a time sink, and it's true, in the sense that, it's a bottomless rabbit hole of projects you can entertain yourself with.

I did for a few years, but went back to Windows after the interface stopped being really bad and I could run more programs without WINE.

Attached: nowTayneICanGetInto.jpg (1280x720, 47K)

windows was too shit

Laptop came with vista.

because you kind of have to if you're in cs college

>circa 2012
>buy laptop with Wangblows, install Ubuntu 12.04 and to my surprise everything works
>betterthanexpexpected.png
>buy desktop, install Ubuntu, try out various distros and stuff like FreeBSD
>eventually decide to install Windows for muh gaymes, play FFXIV for a year and a half
>install a second SSD, install Windows on that and use the first smaller SSD for GNU/Linux
>find myself booting into GNU/Linux more and more, trying out new distros and having a blast
>eventually my storage HDD dies (2TB), suddenly need storage
>decide that I haven't booted Wangblows in a long time, format the SSD to ext4 and add it as a storage drive in my /home
>install all sorts of games with proton, including Rocket League which runs better than the native version
>only missing shitty games that use anti-cheats for now
I'm pretty happy

Linux is a meme

Windows is better than Linux

No, you don't. I was into CS and I never touched Linux.

windows sucks

>I was
>never touched Linux.
No wonder you aren't anymore, get out of Jow Forums.

because three of my computers were broken by windows 10 feature updates. its also way faster than windows if I use LXQT as my DE.

>I was into CS and I never touched Linux
yikes

2gb RAM and a 3rd gen i3M processor

Dad used Gentoo. Started using linux on my own computers. This was in the early 2000's.

Because fuck botnet.

Forced to use Linux at university and found out it was good. Until then I had just assumed it was unusable nerd shit

started with Ubuntu 10.10 because Vista's drivers were utter shit and XP had audio problems on my laptop, never looked back

I broke my windows install

In 2002 I was told by a friend of mine that Linux is a way better than windows.
OK. Dual boot. Installation was voodoo magic after the brainless shit I "knew" from windows.
Still using windows a lot for several months.
But slowly I got to know Linux better and better.
I could do everything I needed using Linux.
And a lot more, that wasn't possible in windows.
I could even run my gayms with Wine and WineX/Cedega.
So one day I just didn't want to boot windows anymore.
Windows got formatted the other day to reclaim wasted disk space.
And that's it.

based

i started with arch with literally no understanding of linux whatsoever, but i saw screencaps of bspwm and i thought it was something you could only do on arch.

Now Im too much of a bitch to try using any other distro because Im so acclimated to pacman

Windows was too hard to use

I get much more useful function from my old hardware, plus I like freedoms. Not an RMS zealot tho

Windows 10 creator update made me install it on my main desktop
Used it on my laptop before because I used that one mainly for programming and web design and I preferred doing that on Linux since I used to be a macfag

When I was in college the CS/IT majors dept labs had all 3 (this was late 00s/early 10s), Windows, Mac and Linux, why Mac I have no freaking idea. Linux I think was red hat though, but then again they were a North Carolina company so it's not that surprising but then again I was in Charlotte.

This. Then by the time I got a new one I had fallen in love with the customizability.

Same here.
Linux is the only kernel I've ever used with my GNU operating system.

Linux users kept making fun of me.

MS stopped supporting XP and every version of windows after that was just seemed more and more cancerous. got hooked on the "Linux way" of doing things and never looked back.

Windows:
> Writing c++ on windows for several years
> Everytime i want to add a dependency i feel pain
> Pls work
> Oops linker error, your project was built in multithreaded debug runtime library while the dependency uses singlethreaded debug library. They are incompatible.
> Try to build it from source, the library also has dependencies so i can use it, hopefully the dependencies are easy to add
> The library is one of single threaded debug, single threaded release, multithreaded debug and multithreaded release.
> Oops, wrong runtime.
> Fix the runtime for that dependency. Still linker error. This time the library has missing symbols since visual c++ doesn't export symbols by default, you have to define preprocessor to export them.
> Next dependency, uses mingw instead of visual c++ since it's a library originally written for unix-like os, and the library files are incompatible with visual c++.
I did this for openssl and it took at least 2 hours to get everything to work properly.

Gnu/Linux:
> Begin by using an IDE since im used to windows (using netbeans)
> Install a library and all it's dependencies automatically with one command
> Select the library to use in netbeans gui, which lists all system libraries.
> It just werks, no different runtime bullshit with singlethreaded/multithreaded debug/release. Symbols are exported by default, allowing you to use libraries with minimal work
By using gnu/linux i realized i have been wasting countless hours trying to fight the windows environment where standard library paths are not a thing. Windows is not user friendly for developers.

/thread
fpbp
based
redpilled
sanepilled

if you cant get the version of windows you want to run on your hardware you are a brainlet. the meme that linux is for getting work done is a just that, a meme. its a simple easy to install os for tech illiterates that like to browse the web with a web browser. perfect for peps like yourself.

Ok ok I understood you the first time.
Damn

Ads on the start menu + telemetry

because its better for developing and i am free

>use Windows
>Get 17 viruses, Skype reinstalls itself daily, shuts down for updates every 2 hours
>Use apple
>Pay $2000 for a machine worth $400
>It breaks 2 months later
>Use Linux
>Get told your distro is shit and you should have used that distro instead
>Kernel panic
You can't win

>install linux on the $2000 machine worth $400
>now has the functionality of a $100 machine

I was born on it

Attached: images - 2019-08-03T001223.905.jpg (313x470, 23K)

chad as fuck

Same. My father had Debian installed on the family PC, still use it 20 years later.

same for me, the transition was not too hard though, i just figured out what i need to fully use linux and really it ended up being using windows only for games that can't run on linux and windows exclusive software.