The only sane choice?

The only sane choice?

Attached: 480px-Slackware_logo.svg.png (480x480, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slackware.com/lists/archive/list.php?l=slackware-security&y=2019
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For what application?

Install gentoo

correct.

is the most boring distro you'll ever use and that's a good thing

Yup

Attached: Screenshot_20190802_153810.png (1920x1080, 1.14M)

>smallest official repository
>no official package dependency solver
>sane

thatsthepoint.jpg

ok, but arch exists and the solution is aur
slackware has slackbuilds
that can be a bad thing and a good thing. you can always install a different one (guix/slapt-get).
>sane
enjoy tranny dick from debian/cannonical

I tried it man. But the package management man

Slackbuilds.org has more shit than a lot of meme distros I see on this website.
That's a feature you fucking retard.
Use sbotools

Wow, another -current user on Jow Forums, colour me surprised.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-02_21-44-14.png (518x300, 30K)

Boomer linux.

On its last legs and old concepts that seem very outdated.

>Hate rolling release but 14.2 is too old
15.0 when

Attached: 2019-08-02-164528_652x316_scrot.png (652x316, 14K)

Attached: programming_socks.png (1211x773, 402K)

I know, it's getting ridiculous. I imagine the delay is waiting for Xfce 4.14 [Pat is a big fan of Xfce] and waiting for the next 5.x LTS kernel. 4.19 will be EOL next year so it's no good for the next stable.

Are those 'also bought' items a joke?

14.2 current works fine. If you want something extra just compile it, its not hard at all if you get a brain moran.

I might switch. I've been getting fucked with gpg errors lately on gentoo and I'm getting tired of it

Post questions.

I've done that before, because I really hate rolling release but wanted a newer mesa. I wouldn't look forward to doing it again and I'd sooner continuing to use current than try my hand at that shit a second time.

>using -current
so you wanted bleeding edge out of stable as fuck distro? very cool
I should use arch for stability then

you mean linux questions?

>so you wanted bleeding edge out of stable as fuck distro?
I had to do it for my hardware. The alternative would be 10x more work. It hasn't crashed on me at all for the couple months I've been using it, which is more than I can say for any other rolling release distro.

I updated mesa from source the other day to see if houdini worked with the amd open sores drivers, still no go but shit was easy af. Dont know what headaches you're talking about.

-current is stable as fuck. More stable than Debian stable in my experience.

Yep, about Slack, if you have any.

>but arch exists and the solution is aur
arch is shit and aur is one of the reasons it's shit
>tranny
opinion discarded, march over to containment board

Oops, I meant the second part of

>Dont know what headaches you're talking about.
Mesa itself is easy. Everything mesa depends on, especially llvm, is the giant bitch and a half to wrestle into working on 14.2. Especially after current dropped support for la files while 14.2 has them, so you can't just repurpose current's slackbuilds anymore without making deliberate changes to them.

I've had problems with previous current installs when I was waiting for 14.2 to arrive, but (knock on wood) this install has gone (relatively) smoothly.

good reason
what packages or drivers that your hardware needed anyway? like just compile the -current packages on -14.2?

>I've had problems with previous current installs when I was waiting for 14.2 to arrive

Thanks for the reality check. All I've had is the odd package breaking but I'm careful about when and what I update.

yup, Slackware is the best, Linux does not get any better than Slackware

Attached: 2019-08-02-160727_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 2.13M)

>4.07am

lol

>last release was 2016
Nope.
When is the next release expected?

Most likely by the end of this year, or at least a beta.

To make my new GPU work, I would have to do the following to 14.2:
>Compile new Xorg and dependencies
>Compile new LLVM
>Compile new Mesa
>Compile 32 versions of all of the above
>Compile new kernel
While to make my new GPU work on current I only have to do compile a kernel (all the radeonsi blacklist attempts I've tried have failed so I just disable it.)
I've been using Slackware for as long as I can remember and I'm not going to use some faggot meme shit when current actually seems really stable even if I hate rolling release.

Ok that makes some sense, I never bothered updating LLVM with the new mesa since it didnt break anyways.

just slack off

>falling for the bleeding edge meme when literally all the software you use has been in a stagnated/completed state for a decade or more

>I-it's a feature!
are you niggers really, this fucking retarded in the technology board?
you can install stand alone packages in debian and fedora by using rpm/dpkg -i -e to install/remove packages without dependencies given a fuck.
Dependencies have always been optional in all distributions.
I thought slackers were smarter than to feel "forced".
It's literally on the manual, apt is a front end for dpkg. Just do apt download package and install it with dpkg for fucks sake

>just have known security vulnerabilities right off the box!

>he cant do a simple cat /path/to/some/queue/file | removepkg
Maybe the board should be called technologically challenged in your honor.

>Just do apt download package and install it with dpkg for fucks sake
Not pragmatic when I can pull in slackbuilds instead and have all of my packages manageable in plaintext at the end of the day.

slackware is for losers like you that have nothing to do so they have to make it harder for yourselves for no reason.
Such lists of dependencies are made by the maintainers on bigger distros, and are literally optional because packages can be downloaded and installed alone with two tools that come out of the box.
99% of the time nobody gives a fuck about installing all dependencies and optional dependencies, weak dependencies are easy to not install by configuring the package manager or using a flag.
But you still give a fuck like storage is important, on a distro that literally installs all packages by default

>bleeding edge
>wanting my 2017 gpu to work

epic

$ sudo /sbin/upgradepkg --install-new slackware64-14.2/patches/packages/*.t?z

Why are you so MAD, user?

You seem upset.

There's more than one reason to use the distro, desu. No systemd, great stability and a great community are some more.

>slackware is for losers like you that have nothing to do so they have to make it harder for yourselves for no reason.
Slackware is for people who have better things to do than fuck with their computer. I've had less problems with it than anything else I've ever used in my 11 years of using Linux. In fact, it's less work than any version of Windows I've ever used as well. I'm not going to even real teh rest of your post because you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, let alone why people are attracted to the system in the first place. You can sling your canned rhetoric all fucking day and it will never phase me because the fact of the matter is that Slackware lets me slack off, and unless you're willing to pay me for my time to use something that will only give me more trouble after a long day when I want to come home and would rather have a beer and watch anime, then be my guest dude.

Attached: wtf.jpg (102x137, 8K)

dpkg will refuse to install said package if the dependencies weren't satisfied beforehand, you fucking idiot
dpkg literally checks for control.tar.xz inside the .deb file before installing, you fucking retard
I doubt you even know what control.tar.xz is, let alone writing debian package
kill yourself

>Adds /sbin/ to $PATH for all users
Nothin personnel..... kid......

Attached: 1561335634206.gif (450x450, 3.76M)

>doesn't like standards
>uses slackware
debiant exists, faggot

>implying they don't patch them and allow you to install via slackpkg
slackware.com/lists/archive/list.php?l=slackware-security&y=2019