/wdg/ - Web Development General

old: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap (don't be overwhelmed, ignore the later parts and go step-by-step)
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Need help with some HTML, CSS or JS?
jsfiddle.net - create an example here and post the link
codesandbox.io - or here if you're using React/Angular/Vue

Attached: wdg (2).png (500x500, 980K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/cerib/tutorstartup
salty-dawn-73939.herokuapp.com/
cerib.github.io/new/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just wanted to say, that even if you go full webdev, you should never think that you are limited to that area alone.
Knowing how to program at all is a skill you can apply to many areas, be it mobile, desktop, statistics, etc.

I was a life long NEET, always doing some hobby development with Python on a Raspberry, C# in Unity, etc., but ~3 years ago started focusing on web development almost exclusively.
Through some assistance and circumstances I recently ended up with an internship at a place, that was looking for a mobile developer, which actually turned into a job starting this month.
They started me off doing some changes in an existing Java app (which wasn't really that fun to deal with), but now I began working on a new project using Flutter and writing Dart code, which is actually really interesting.

My webdev skills of being familiar with languages, UI/UX, concepts like declarative rendering from Vue and React, Servers, Linux and other things are definitely very useful and it didn't take much time at all to become productive.

Knowing JS and a frontend framework already enables you to build lots of stuff. Web applications, mobile apps with Nativescript or React Native, desktop apps with Electron, etc., but also keep in mind, that what you learned from web development can be useful for many different areas as well.

Attached: 1548535554479.jpg (1280x1707, 968K)

If no one hires me in the next 6 months I'm offing myself.
That's it.

Attached: 6RCEZ.jpg (600x485, 60K)

Well, duh. Web developers are programmers, all memes aside.
What is your skillset user?

HTML, CSS (Sass and Bootstrap as well), JS (React/Redux) and the usual tools.
Also I'm not bad at design.

Sounds good enough for a frontend job, what exactly are you having trouble with? Are you failing interviews or what?

I built a combination of express-session and knex session store 7 months ago while I didn't know what I was doing and now that I finally decided to fix the session cookie expiration date issue that was plaguing me all this time, I have no idea where that cookie is actually set. The problem is that the cookie gets deleted every time I leave the browser window, because there is no expiration date set.

Now that I know a little bit more and actually even know how to built that shit myself, I have no idea where the cookie called "connect.id" gets created.

Maybe it's just a bad month to look for jobs but I barely see offers near where I live, and the ones I see ask for much more or are straight up senior positions.
I'm considering applying for remote positions in another country and maybe trying freelancing at Upwork or shit like that.

Calm down guys. I figured it out. I was setting "maxAge" in cookie options, but "expires" needs to be set even though they said that "maxAge" will work too.

I spent plenty of time looking for job ads and such but in the end what got me a job was meeting new people and getting a personal recommendation in the company I recently started working in. If there's anything like programmer meetups/conventions anywhere in your area, go there, mingle, get to know some people. Often what lands you a job aren't necessarily your skills alone but being likable and showing that you'd be a good person to work with. You don't have to be a master of social skills either. I'm no people person but simply exposing myself to the developer community in my area is what helped a lot.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I'm a very fresh front end junior in a new company and I've been given a smaller project to build. It's a website for an art magazine and this is the first time I'm writing software as a professional dev, so sometimes I'm not even sure what my responsibilities as a front end guy are and what the back end guy is supposed to do. For example, the client is asking for an infinite scroll on one of the pages which is supposed to load new content when you hit the bottom of the page. But since I don't have access to any sort of back end or database and am basically building a template where the client will later put content through her CMS, I don't really know how to go about implementing this on my end. This might be a really stupid question, but how are the front end and back end dev usually supposed to coordinate themselves on things like this? The back end is going to be built after my part of the job is already finished so I don't know what state I'm supposed to leave the site in for the back end guy.

Is there no backend dev at your company you can ask? do you not have a brief/spec for the project? if not ask for one.

First for vanilla.js

I'm generating boilerplate and extending Angular CLI scaffolding for a project that needs specific workspace structure requirements, I'm relying heavily on already made utility functions from the schematics and angular devkit source code, these functions are not part of their API but they use them internally. Anyway, I don't want to wake up one day and find out that they changed them or something. If I install Angular CLI locally in my project and set it to the specific version I'm using, does my system use that instead of the globally installed CLI?

I think npm always looks for a local dependency before looking for a global one

I was watching a redux-thunk tutorial and the guy used a rest parameter when creating the store.

import thunk from 'redux-thunk';

const middlewares = [thunk];

createStore(rootReducer, initialState, applyMiddleware(...middlewares));

Any Idea why? What is the need to create a new thunk object?

>people opting to make a google business site than get a professional site done even if they can afford it
What the fuck guys

>What is the need to create a new thunk object?

He's not creating a new thunk object, he's creating an array storing all middlewares. That way if you want to use another middleware in the future you simply push it to the middlewares array and it will be applied in every createStore call without the need of updating them manually.

OKay, I will try to look more into it. Thanks user.

The spread here is decomposing the array of middlewares into regular function arguments

lol

Attached: Capture.png (717x214, 23K)

>advertisements excluded

Very nice, congrats user

Working on my first PWA to showcase for a job I want to apply to.
I can't seem to find anything explaining more than the basics though.

I know user I know.
But I just need to land a fucking job so everything I've done for the last year stops looking so damn useless.

Unironically stay away from people who think using that garbage is a solution. They're always worse super stingy despite having tons of money

Anons please help me get a job. Does this look good to you? Can you check out my code? github.com/cerib/tutorstartup
>Pic related

Attached: Untitled.png (2569x2510, 380K)

No one is going to clone your repo and check it out on localhost.
If you want people to have a look, then host it somewhere.
And then if they are interested, they may look at the source.

You're right, I as expecting people to look at the source. I'll see to it that I get a page working

Just use GH pages or Netlify's drag and drop for a quick demo.

Any idea why I'm getting a blank page?
wizardly-cori-4c9279
netlify.com

Same thing on github pages

Are there any good tutorials on caching and lazy loading and all this kind of shit that's not part of regular web development courses? Recently got a job as a web dev and wanna get on top of this shit before I actually need to implement any of it.

Check if you are actually deploying a production build.

Did you forget to build your app, user? It responds with 404s for all the javascript and css files.

My approach was literally using a caching function from JavaScript.info and the IMG lazy loading I figured it out myself.
Just use data-src on images and write an event listener to actually make it the src when you need it.

what is the top part from? a description for a course's project?

I don't know, I tried 3 times, followed step by step from some youtube videos and still getting this shit
THe gh-pages branch has the build files, the js files are in teh static folder, I do not get it
fuck this is why devs go bald

>github.com/cerib/tutorstartup
I'm looking at that and I only see the build folder.
You need to put up the whole thing to netlify, not just the build folder, it builds the thing on the server.

anyone working on projects that need some front-end dev help? most of the other open source projects get their issues fixed within an instant.

Attached: 03XvJDw.jpg (500x500, 45K)

It's a developer challenge from the job interviewer.

check out Jow ForumsAMD someone needs help for an app called ryzencontroller, they posted yesterday or something.

I didn't drag and drop, I selected my repo using netlify, I have done this before (some months ago) and it worked. Now it doesnt

Saw that you updated your github repo and hosted your app myself just to check if it works. Deploys fine for me on heroku.

salty-dawn-73939.herokuapp.com/

I'm gonna delete it shortly.

Your 'see all tutors' button breaks after one click btw. And doesn't work at all if there's a filter on.

Or if it's supposed to work like that where the filter persists - make it retard-proof. The people who gave you the task are gonna look at something like this and deduct points if it's not really obvious at first glance. Maybe add a h1 text right above the results saying "Filter Active: Whateverburger"

Oh, good idea! Yeah the button is supposed to disappear
I'm gonna do that

SECOND ATTEMPT

Anons, if you would be so kind, please destroy my interview challenge and tell me what is wrong with my project. Don't pay attention to my feelings. And also check the code if you're interested, I really want this job

cerib.github.io/new/

Why aren't you extending React components? What's this fragment meme

So this is something an interviewer told you to create? Any details?

Semantic UI is quite heavy for that desu. 614kB source and 92kB is immense for a short one-pager.
If possible, only import the styles you actually need in your app or switch to something else / write it yourself.

Otherwise it's a neat page, but hard to give much more feedback since there isn't much more than the buttons to filter the entries currently.
If you are using React, then I would also make much more use of it and implement more pages, like some mock signup/signin, tutor-profile page, etc.
If that's actually something you want to continue on.

I'm using hooks, there is no class component in my app... I wanted to stand out to the interviewer (he's a dev too).

Fragment is used when you have two empty divs
So instead of generating html like

Child

It generates

Child

Oh, that's actually pretty cool. Nice job, user.

>So this is something an interviewer told you to create? Any details?
I applied for a job on Linkedin and the CEO sent me this challenge. Guidelines in >pic related

>but hard to give much more feedback since there isn't much more than the buttons to filter the entries currently.
They only asked for that in the guidelines

>If you are using React, then I would also make much more use of it and implement more pages
I want to, but the guidelines say "Don't spend more than 4 hours"
So I wanted to do it quickly, I'm gonna commit more shit to the repo tomorrow, maybe.

Attached: Capture.png (626x420, 86K)

was there a reason you didn't make something like a wrapper and then fit everything inside that? like something with a max width so that when your viewport hits a certain width the content doesn't extend too far? this is more a nitpick, but the header ui elements extend a bit far (e.g. sign in).

Easiest way to introduce myself to mvc ?

I wanted to avoid frameworks but on my first test I figured I'd need routing and other stuff I still don't know.

What's the lightweight alternative to angular, vue and all this stuff. I need to be productive can't study for a month to learn this frameworks

Do Laravel. It'll take a week at most to get the basics well enough to build shit.

Play a team you find fun. But if you think morridoom is anything but cancer, you should unitonically hang.

I laughed a little

Do you have the code in GitHub? It is hard to analyze just from the URL