OpenSUSE tumbleweed

Alright, this is the first time I'm using this
I chose it because I needed something a bit more up to date than my previous OS while being tested and having good tools to restore the system if I get unlucky. Also I saw this online and it seems to cover the basics
>Beginner tips:
>Use a separate partition for your home-directory. If home is btrfs and on / a snapshot rollback will also delete altered files in home.
>always use "zypper dup" - there is no other reliable way to upgrade, especially in a graphical way. To be super safe, do it in TTY or with "screen" or "tmux" (if your graphical environment crashes, the update process continues)
>zypper up has no function in TW at the moment
>Don't be afraid to roll back to older snapshots (snapper rollback). If new updates breaks your favourite application, roll back and wait a week or two. Things get fixed pretty fast in TW
>regular backups
>combine regular backups with regular zypper dups.
>if you break your system beyond snapper rollback, you do not need to completly reinstall. Use a TW iso image on an usb key and use the boot-option "upgrade" to repair your installation
>Opensuse has a Wiki which is pretty good. No Arch way of pretty good, but most of the common problems can be solved with it.
>If you want to have a really conservative update policiy, consider the tool tumbleweed-cli and watch review.tumbleweed.boombatower.com/ . >Pick only the most stable new tumbleweed snapshots.
>give Opensuse a chance for longer. The first week is not as smooth because there are some things not as streamlined as in Ubuntu, but as your installation is set up und you are running it for 3-4 months, you will appreciate TW far more than you would think
>have a look for missing applications via OBS

I got a question though, for people using it, does snapper automatically get rid of older snapshots? Can you configure/change that?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-03_13-31-29.png (1680x1050, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_Tutorial
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapper
software.opensuse.org/explore
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firewalld#Working_with_firewalld
en.opensuse.org/SDB:Encrypted_root_file_system#Avoiding_to_type_the_passphrase_twice
en.opensuse.org/SDB:BTRFS#How_to_repair_a_broken.2Funmountable_btrfs_filesystem
build.opensuse.org/search?utf8=✓&search_text=dropbox&search_for=0&name=1&attrib_type_id=
open.qa/
fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenQA),
github.com/yast
build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:lachs0r:mpv/mpv/mpv.spec?expand=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes and yes

Why so scared, user?

why did you remove the virtual hardware info from neofetch user?

He doesnt wanna get hacked

Me Too!
Not the first time tho

Attached: 2019-08-03-162136_5120x1440_scrot.png (5120x1440, 1.85M)

They already fixed Firefox?

BRTFS is a useless meme

Attached: 1540705884330.jpg (1920x1080, 344K)

what's wrong with it?

Works for me.

How do I get excellent font rendering on it? Any recommended libfreetype6 source in the repo(s)?

Alright, I hope someone compiles this shit for next time, gist or something.
###
If you don't like btrfs but still want snapshots you can use tumbleweed-cli.
###
I suggest using the full dvd iso, IMO the netinstall is very glitchy.
###
KDE!
###
YaST is a GUI/ncurses tool that you DON'T EVER NEED TO USE. Every single option is present in the cli just like every other distro
###
Unlike Ubuntu when you install a program their services are not enabled or started by default, so sudo systemctl start program.service / sudo systemctl enable program.service. This is how every distro should ship by default, Ubuntu is braindead.

Another feature (security) is that it doesn't blindly adds your user to all groups. So where it makes sense you can still do that

sudo usermod -a -G libvirt $(whoami)
sudo usermod -a -G kvm $(whoami)
###
With encrypted LVM if you keep using the wrong password it will place you in the grub console without any message (for security I believe). Reboot and calmly type the correct password, don't be a retard.

If you have very limited disk space and still want btrfs snapshots, use this config:

sudo snapper -c root set-config "NUMBER_CLEANUP=yes"
sudo snapper -c root set-config "NUMBER_LIMIT=4"
sudo snapper -c root set-config "NUMBER_LIMIT_IMPORTANT=2-4"

Now you can use this command to rebase to a newer snapshot and recover a lot of space

sudo snapper rollback

Reboot and wait for the cleanup to happen (maybe you can trigger it with sudo snapper cleanup number)
###
Don't like plymouth or want to shave a few seconds from your boot?

sudo zypper remove --clean-deps libply*
sudo zypper addlock libply*
sudo mkinitrd

>With encrypted LVM ...
I need to enter my encryption password twice. I assume, once for disk and another for /home partition? how to disable second encryption?
I mean, it doesn't add more security if someone knows my password first time, they'll know it second time
how do I remove this redundancy?

Often OpenSUSE "loses" benchmarks because it ships with more secure settings for CPU mitigations and power saving mode (check cpupower frequency-set -g $OPTION). Another reason is that btrfs is slow, because it's a TRADE-OFF for features like snapshots, cow, etc. These settings are all tweakable in the setup, making it as fast as other distros.
###
zypper has a lot of cool features en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage
###
snapper too
en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_Tutorial
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapper
###
for a """store""", use YaST's "Install/Remove software" (Synaptic like) to browse but I recommend always use the cli to installing shit. DISCOVER IS CRAP. First thing I do is removing the tray notifier (plasma5-pk-updates). Don't forget to zypper addlock if you want to lock a package state to never be reinstalled.
software.opensuse.org/explore
###
sudo btrfs filesystem usage /
###
don't be afraid to learn the firewall cli, it's very powerful and better than using ufw/gui
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firewalld#Working_with_firewalld
you'll probably only need to learn about zones, which one you're in and add the rules with --permanent.
Services like libvirtd should be restarted after you change rules, or just reboot it's a one time thing anyway.
###
I think it's a good idea, doesn't matter the distro, for you to do all your configuration using a setup.sh script, especially for settings that aren't transfered by copying ~home
###
Try not to use things that depend on a 'stable' kernel like virtualbox or nvidia proprietary drivers. Rolling releases are moving targets so breakage can happen, it's rare though. Even virt-manager/qemu/kvm combo (or gnome boxes, never tried) can run circles around virtualbox, except maybe for the initial learning curve.
But if it breaks you have snapshots.
###
en.opensuse.org/SDB:Encrypted_root_file_system#Avoiding_to_type_the_passphrase_twice
dunno if its updated, worked here

just use ubuntu for fucks sake, fedora, arch
anything but german shit
don't you know they are garbage at computers?

What problems did you have? I only use fedora and tumbleweed and they feel very similar, except I like apparmor way more. I hate reinstalling fedora because the upgrades never go smooth in my setup. IIRC they share a lot of things like libsolv, firewalld/cmd.
###
btrfs can 'break' if it detects corruption or you have hardware problems, it doesn't fail silently
never run random commands, follow the official guides!
en.opensuse.org/SDB:BTRFS#How_to_repair_a_broken.2Funmountable_btrfs_filesystem
but you can always go full ext4/xfs
###
your home folder isn’t included in snapshots, that’s not their purpose (but you can add if you want)
ALWAYS have a separate backup strategy for you personal data, even if you go with more traditional filesystems like ext4 or xfs, they also fail (they were made by humans too)
####
if you REALLY want aur like shit you can use obs for your botnet crap
build.opensuse.org/search?utf8=✓&search_text=dropbox&search_for=0&name=1&attrib_type_id=
but I don't know how conflicts are handled, the quality of the packages are probably the same as the AUR (dogshit)

there's no reason to have yast, not even ubuntu tries to dumb down linux so much

There's also literally no task that demands you use it. It's there because of their enterprise support needs. If you want to miss on such a good distro because of a tool you don't need to use, I don't know what else to say to you.
It's like not using fedora because you don't want selinux (takes a second to disable it).

I just don't see the point of supporting another set of developers, red hat already takes good part of the development.
Btw who develops apparmor?

That's a very narrow view of the world. A lot of suse devs work on KDE, btrfs, kernel, open.qa/ (that redhat decides to adopt too fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenQA), and probably many more things. I'm not a developer I just read things and watch conference videos. I did a lot of research and testing when deciding what distro to move all my pcs.
>Btw who develops apparmor?
I don't know, wiki says
>Originally by Immunix (1998-2005), then by SUSE as part of Novell (2005-2009), and currently by Canonical Ltd (since 2009).
But on the last opensuse conf there were a lot of suse devs talking about it so dunno.

>>Use a separate partition for your home-directory. If home is btrfs and on / a snapshot rollback will also delete altered files in home.
I think the installer automatically excludes /home from rollbacks/snapshots.
>always use "zypper dup" - there is no other reliable way to upgrade
The applet actually had a patch for this, though I'm not sure if it's recommended yet.
>does snapper automatically get rid of older snapshots?
Yes, though people complain that it's too conservative.

It's great IMO, btrfs+snapper is awesome

>A lot of suse devs work on
and runc, docker, libsolv, gnome and other des, obs
and a billion upstream bugs they fix and send patches
and a billion bugs they find while testing the distros in openqa/factory/manual testing, and the bugs their enterprise customers hit
opensuse is not a soul sucking distro like manjaro
they help make linux better too

>I think the installer automatically excludes /home from rollbacks/snapshots.
It did for me. But I use ext4 on my home partition.
>The applet actually had a patch for this, though I'm not sure if it's recommended yet.
iirc the problem is with PackageKit (Red Hat) and Discover (KDE), they both suck so if they freeze (and they will) during a big update your system will most likely break. Just use the cli.
>Yes, though people complain that it's too conservative.
I think you need to do what said. The snapshots might be cleaned up but the original snapshot is probably the first one (and they stack from there) from your system unless you manually set a new base. I do that every 6 months and it saves me a lot of space.

Maybe I'm missing something but I took screenshots on Ubuntu (best font aliasing imo) and compared with Fedora and Tumbleweed.
On tumbleweed it's the exact same on KDE (with the same settings of course). Yours isn't? Could this be related to graphics driver? I use mainline AMD

I think (for Leap at least) btrfs everything is the default these days, with /home being btrfs but being excluded from rollbacks. I've been using that setup and it seems to work well with rollbacks and all. And yeah doing dup on a tty is the recommended way but, unlike before I think, you could use packagekit based stuff to do a dup instead of just up. I haven't had issues with snapshots taking all the space, though I've never had to go very far back when fixing a problem. Though I guess if there's space, I might as well keep them.

How interchangeable are .rpms? Can I just install something meant for fedora into opensuse?

theres the lsb but i doubt all rpms work or dont create conflicts
even ubuntu packages made for older versions of the same distro breaks, why wouldnt this

That's why I compiled all my "extra" software inside flatpaks, it works across all my computers and distros since I can use the same sdk

>YaST is a GUI/ncurses tool that you DON'T EVER NEED TO USE. Every single option is present in the cli just like every other distro
I didn't find this when I was running openSUSE, a lot of the cli stuff wouldn't take unless it was done in YaST. Such a bloated thing too, shame since it's mostly a nice distro (zypper is hella slow though, even neofetch is slow)

Could you provide some examples? I'm thinking about installing tw or leap.

This doesn't make any sense.
1. you're using the Linux kernel just like every other distro, it's the exact same CLI/API/ABI
2. I was looking at yast's source code and it's just a wrapper. It calls i.e. zypper in the background. github.com/yast
3. if you never used yast it doesn't interfere with your files, so there's no possibility of conflicts

I dunno it was weird. I set hostname with hostnamectl (systemd way of doing it), but it didn't seem to take. but then i opened yast and my new hostname was there, then it started working. maybe i just needed to reboot or something.

I also ended up with 7+ different obs repositories trying to find stuff that is mostly in the Ubuntu repositories. Ended up with a lot of potentially malicious repos with no way of knowing what I installed from which.

As I suspected it's PEBKAC. Or most likely the same poster that comes to every TW thread to spread FUD.
>I also ended up with 7+ different obs repositories trying to find stuff that is mostly in the Ubuntu repositories. Ended up with a lot of potentially malicious repos with no way of knowing what I installed from which.
Yeap it's him. You can check the source code and build of every single package on OBS and zypper has a command to download the source code.
If you use a 3rd-party repo it's no different than PPAs, AUR, etc. You either trust the source or not. You could review a package now and get an updated tomorrow that delivers malware.
Worst case scenario compile from source or even better, just like the AUR, submit a build to OBS and everybody will be able to download your packages already compiled to multiple distros.

build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:lachs0r:mpv/mpv/mpv.spec?expand=1

PPAs usually tell you what it's for, like for example:
$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
steam.list steam.list.save vscode.list

One repo for steam, an old saved repo for steam, and one for vscode.

On openSUSE I have to remember that home:wengo is where I got mpdscribble from. I had at least 5 other similarly named repositories "home:username" that I eventually had no clue what packages belonged to them. I guess I could have fired up YaST and figured it out but
>yOu dOnT EvEr hAvE tO uSE iT
yeah right.

PPAs and official repositories are much saner and usually tell you what they contain. none of this "home:wengo" shit that openSUSE has.

Not being a shill, I don't mind Tumbleweed and think it's a fine distro, I just think it could be a lot better. Especially how I had to add the Packman (don't confuse it with Arch's pacman) to get stuff like media codecs by replacing a dozen packages. On Ubuntu this is a checkbox during install. So I just use Ubuntu because it's better.

keep moving that goalpost
the point being discussed was that you don't have to use yast
you can just use the cli command to list repositories and packages
I haven't used OBS in years but I remember that the output was similar to flatpak and easy to check
and the same thing if you decide to use other 3rd party repos but again I don't use anymore so I don't remember my aliases
there's even swaywm on the main repos so I don't need anything

DUDE

Let's assume I'm here to be actually convinced to switch. What's the whole point of snapper snapshots on a Desktop distro? If there'd be major problems I'd just nuke and reinstall the whole thing anyway, which takes less than 10minutes on any current machine(Desktop). Next I'd like to question the root problem as a whole. How often do you experience major breaks on your distro that not only implement a btrfs system, but also dedicate a third of your post just for it? In 5 years of Fedora/CentOS if never witnessed anything that broke in an update, besides by python dependencies.
Last but not least, you're already admitting yourself that graphical upgrades are restricted and one would need a longer period to change to OpenSuse. My question to you, why bother with that if we got much more fluent "just werks" solutions out there? From this post I'd rather try Arch for a rolling distro, at least that one got an immense wiki.

Attached: tfw_intcel.png (1024x526, 502K)

You can use xfs or ext4 in your root partition and it won't have snapshots or any downsides from btrfs.
>How often do you experience major breaks
So far 0 times but my TW setup is only 8 months old. I think I got 2 or 3 really big updates, the last one was when they recompiled the entire distro to use LTO. No issues, and it made the distro way faster.
>Fedora/CentOS
Are not rolling release distros
>we got much more fluent "just werks" solutions out there
Each person has a very specific set of apps they use, they want different desktop environments and or window managers, different workflows. That means that comparions like that are pointless. They only serve for you to compare what people are saying with your own internal matrix of what a good distro is.
The downsides of each distro is also another very personal thing. What takes me 30 seconds to fix for me might be too annoying for other users, or they might not understand the tools and take 3 days to fix the same problem.
In the end you shouldn't be asked to be convinced of anything, compare the features, understand the tools and you will have your answer.
For my personal checklist TW is a mix of arch and ubuntu, I want stability, newer packages, the best KDE implementation there is (using Kubuntu or neon was living hell) and automatic snapshots. For you that might sound like the worst distro in the world, and that's ok.

WEED

>I also ended up with 7+ different obs repositories trying to find stuff that is mostly in the Ubuntu repositories. Ended up with a lot of potentially malicious repos with no way of knowing what I installed from which.
...what? You can check what packages came from which repo and you can name them so that you remember.
>What's the whole point of snapper snapshots on a Desktop distro? If there'd be major problems I'd just nuke and reinstall the whole thing
Well it's faster and much easier than that. And you have much more control over what you want to keep and what you want to discard, depending on how old of a snapshot you roll back to.
>How often do you experience major breaks
Not often at all. It's more if some new package has some issue or something and I can't be bothered to figure it out then and there, I can roll back. Especially great on my laptop which I often need then and there, so if something is broken I don't have to deal with it but can just roll back immediately and continue on with my work. You can of course set up Arch with btrfs+snapper too, that's what I've thought about but I'm happy with openSUSE.