Problem with fucking mounting flash drives

Guys, I know it's not a tech support forum, but I'm DESPARATE.

I'm running arch linux with i3wm (yeah, memes aside, it's comfy for me, so whatever).

Each time I try to manually mount a flash drive to any folder, no matter the file system, the permission of this folder turn to root only. When I try to run chwon, I get
chown: changing ownership of `whatever': Operation not permitted

But! When I mount it with gnome-disks utility it mounts OK.

What the fuck is going on? I cannot think of any reason why it's happening.

Attached: brainlet.png (205x246, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxconfig.org/howto-mount-usb-drive-in-linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install Windows/NT

hilarious and original

Thanks.

>uses barebones window manager
>surprised when it doesn't hold your hand
use GNOME or RTFM

Yes, on Gnome I somehow cannot use a terminal, and window manager is something that must handle mounting flash drives.
Such a witty, sarcastic remark, how will I ever recover.

use a file manager then, pretty much any file manager will mount stuff for you

my point was you're using a super leet hacker interface and then acting upset that it isn't making life easier for you. If you want that, use a DE.

>my point was you're using a super leet hacker interface

So, some interfaces are only allowed to be used by computer engineers who know everything UNIX and there's not a single problem that they can't figure out because you consider those particular interfaces "super leet" and "hacker"? Fuck off, you pretentious cuck.

>then acting upset that it isn't making life easier for you. If you want that, use a DE.

Am I allowed to act upset and want to figure out what is going on and how to fix it when something goes wrong with DE? Or I can only hop between different DE's until I find one where everything "just works" and pray nothing goes wrong?

>(yeah, memes aside, it's comfy for me, so whatever).
He says as he can't even mount a drive...

>He says as he can't even mount a drive...
I CAN mount a fucking drive. I explained what happens when I do so. I happens only on this particular installation. I had other people try to mount a drive on my laptop.

I'm not a fucking brainlet. Something is wrong on this particular installation. I cannot figure out, what exactly.

I did read the fucking manual, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here.

I dare you, post how command I should mount a drive with, I'll fucking screenshot every step to prove IT'S NOT WORKING ON MY MACHINE AND I DON'T KNOW WHY.

linuxconfig.org/howto-mount-usb-drive-in-linux

You're either doing it wrong or you're using a shitty distro that doesn't include filesystem drivers for the particular type of filesystem you're trying to access. But since it works in GNOME I doubt it's an OS problem, it's a PEBKAC problem (problem exists between keyboard and chair).

I've been trying to figure out this problem for a week, the only response I got is "RTFM, noob" and "stop using terminal, you're too stupid".
That's really helpful, thank you. What a great community Linux has. If a question cannot be answered by typing RTFM, then the user must be brainlet, so why bother.

RTFM like everyone else
when using mount there are user id options like -o,UID=1000
If you use fstab you can set user to make it user mountable.

It probably would have taken 2 minutes to skim through the fucking directions or google.

mad

This is why fucking WM shit like i3wm is irrelevant and useless today. MODERN GNU/Linux is about automating useful fucking tasks like mounting, and a full fucking desktop uses backend processes to do useful mounting (and auto-mounting if you want) of external devices to make it easy to access them without any bullshit.
Delete your fucking i3wm bullshit and install a real goddamn desktop.

Yes. I'm frustrated. It's been a circlejerk of reading manuals, trying different things, reading people just copying and pasting commands from the same manuals, and not real results and I'm no closer to understanding what's causing the problem.

I only know that it WORKED before on the same system, so something must have changed after an update or something.

If it isn't the mount permissions its probably just something really stupid you haven't realized. Like the parent directory permissions.

>Like the parent directory permissions.
I tried mounting it in a folder at /home, and /media, etc. But now that you mentioned it, which permissions should /home directory have by default? I just realized that I simply didn't ever pay attention to this.

>asks Jow Forums for help with Linux
>is surprised when he gets shit treatment
user you should have expected this...

You don't even have the capacity to understand basic permission schemes dude.

Just stop using Linux.

It should be set to world readable, if your user can go into the directory and list its contents then its fine.

If you mount something with a specific user id the mount point will change, but the files permissions inside will not change unless the filesystem doesn't support permissions, in that case it will just be masked with whatever permissions you tell it to use, which is by default, the user's permissions that you mounted it with, i.e. root or cocksmokingretard.

OK, I'll illustrate what happens.

I insert a flash drive. I find out that it's /dev/sdb1. I have a folder /home/FlashDrive specifically for mounting flash drives. It has drwxrwxrwx permissions, owned by me and group wheel.

So, I run this command

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home/FlashDrive

As soon as it mounts, folder now belongs to root root and has drwxr-xr-x permissions.

Am I blind or it's literally how every manual tells to do it?

What about you read the arch wiki on USB mount? It's not that hard really

you mean

-o gid=users,fmask=113,dmask=002

?

Same result, I cannot write anything and owned by root

For a while i thought you were using a read-only driver (for ntfs).
Can you write to it as a root? Can you chown? Does this happen to another devices/another fs'?

>So, some interfaces are only allowed to be used by computer engineers who know everything UNIX and there's not a single problem that they can't figure out because you consider those particular interfaces "super leet" and "hacker"?
>thinking the Arch hack3rs LARPers on Jow Forums with their W10 dual boot could use an actual UNIX system

just install linux mint, god damn.

mount with uid and gid

>mounting drive as su and cant access it with regular user
>can't think why this is happening
user I...