How many of you guys feel like you have imposter syndrome. I constantly feel like I don't know enough about coding...

How many of you guys feel like you have imposter syndrome. I constantly feel like I don't know enough about coding, computers, crypto, etc. to really compete with my peers.

Attached: imposter.jpg (1002x576, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's a copeword to make ignorant people feel better about themselves.

Have sex

I've been at my internship for a month and I literally haven't written a single line of code

Probably

If only

>Implying that everyone knows the same amount of information and are invaluable due to having unique information.
Sorry user the fact is some of use are just dumber than others and only have jobs cause it would be inefficient in time and money for the smarter ones to do our job.

What do you do? How much do you make?

Get a job. I had extremely low self-confidence after graduating university with a relatively poor mark. I managed to get a job and I realised that I intellectually mog the vast majority of my office. It also acts as a great learning experience regardless of how much you know going into it, you either get to learn new things or you get to use things in a practical manner that you had previously only experienced as theory.

Considering how many people at work only learn new stuff when they're explicitly told to by their boss I'd say having above average knowledge is easily achievable even without programming outside work time.

linux kernel work, ~$26k in local money

I have a non-tech job, going to college at the end of this month. I'm in the process of trying to get web dev clients.

It disappeared when I got my first job and found out my peers are dumb as fuck.

I don't get it, this image is showing exactly the same thing in different form.

Yeah I went to a college tour with some other people going into computer science and they seem like their head is a bottomless hole. I think in terms of local competition I've got it down. I'm not a fat neckbeard either so hopefully that helps.

It's just the thought that others know much more than you when in reality you're all around the same level of skill. I know that some people are objectively better than others but some people really think they know less than they actually do.

Everytime my coworkers mention something that should be common knowledge(git, js promises, browse caching, etc) I just give them a blank stare and rush to google it discreetly 5 minutes later. There's a phenomenal amount of shit I should be familiar with, but aren't

Web devs in particular are often poor programmers and just utilise other people's code or install other people's extensions. They usually make up for it by impressing non-technical people with how clean their sites look. If you actually know how to program then you're automatically better than 50% of web devs.

All you really need in this industry is the ability to learn new things. You don't have to know everything.

Yeah I don't like web dev I'm just doing it because I have the skill-set and provided I can get the clients, I can just pump out sites for local businesses.

but there is also a square root law that says that the square root of the people working do almost all the work. so if 1000 people work in ur company only 30 people do most of the work. You should rather try to be one of those but that require a lot of work. the imposter syndrom is kinda just the fact.

also this diagram is shit, since the right one places you in the middle, its highly unlikly that you are the guy in the middle of the venn diagam and not one of those around. if everyone is in the middle it makes no sense, who are the people around you?

I just grabbed the first image I could find.

No way. I earned this. I suffered for this. And I ain't ever gonna stop learning. I don't know everything about everything, but I sure as hell know how to learn. And I don't plan on stopping.

Within a year and a half of my internship I shot straight to a senior position. Because I'm no impostor.

>imposter syndrome
Had no idea this was a thing. Neat

You mean mental retardation syndrome?

I've been at mine for two months and I've had a single feature merged into production and I probably won't finish my project

True, but there things that should be prerequisite knowledge for programmers, like version control.

I have it often.
I call people retards for not knowing shit that is painfully obvious basic knowledge to me. Only later I learn that it's actually obscure and I'm just more informed and observant than vast majority of humanity.

People IRL also trust what I say about computers even when I'm just making educated guesses.
I must sound confident or something, because I surely don't feel or look confident.

Attached: 1564351263292.jpg (827x1087, 108K)

dilate

Too expensive.

Networking and learning about industry is more important than getting code into the code base. Work on your Linkedin-profile.

this
you feel bad about your percieved lack because it's actually real
the solution is understanding it's not bad to be a beginner, everyone starts somewhere

what kind

I literally heard a first year say they have impostor syndrome at my university recently. It's a retarded buzzword.

this

listen op, just pay a bum 300 dollars to beat the shit out of him. It'll build your confidence.

i'm self taught, working for a start up and am now invaluable to the company because i'm good with the CEO

so yeah, fuck imposter syndrome. Are you doing your job? Are you learning?

If you're not getting paid rediculous amounts of money to train yourself to get MORE money then go fuck yourself op.

in 9 months i'll qualify for jobs that start at 100k because i'm helping a launch a webapp

So yeah, op, go be a bitch somewhere else

is it because you're a guy who's dressing as a woman?

>go be a bitch somewhere else
but this is Jow Forums

thats fine if youre interning as a carpenter

lol imposter syndrome. Never show weakness OP. Never, not once.

I don't have impostor syndrome. I *know* I'm not good enough... yet. I just wanna throw my whole life away and focus until I erode away.

Wow 100k so cool. Thanks m8. You're being a turbo virgin trying to flaunt small figures like that.

>Talking to people is more important than doing your fucking job

There's a difference between being confident and being a narcissistic douchebag. You sound like the latter.

I have the opposite of that. I think everyone around me is bellow me. I doubt my colleagues understand basic concept such as time complexity or hash tables. It's not that I think I'm smart but that everyone else is dumb.

The reason you feel like you don't know enough to compete with your peers is because you don't. Don't worry though, because you can just learn more.

Imposter sydrome doesn't exist.
If you feel you have it, you actually do lack in knowledge and experience.

faggot

>psychological problems aren't real
Super edgy post, user.

dilate

Talking Heads Once In a Lifetime Syndrome is NOT a psychological problem. It's simple immaturity.

I feel it pretty bad. I got a 4.0 GPA going into a highly competitive program. Only problem is I feel like I'm dicked when I start because I'm a secret retard.

Attached: 1408582996424.gif (390x293, 457K)

Same as it ever was.

I don't get it. i'm looking at this comparison neither of them seem accurate to how it really works

what is the opposite of impostor syndrome?

dunning kruger comes cloes
Jow Forums learned to fizzbuzz and is ready to conquer academia

>I constantly feel like I don't know enough about coding, computers, crypto, etc

I have the same problem. I just have to remind myself three hings:
>I'm doing the best with the knowledge I have already, and it's OK to make mistakes
>There's always more to learn, so as long as your learning, you're growing
>most other people are in the exact same boat as you, so don't stress about people judging you

Just be open when you don't know something, and most of the time people will be cool with it, and you can either rectify that lack of knowledge, or acknowledge that it's not part of your expertise.

>Jow Forums learned to fizzbuzz and is ready to conquer academia
Half of Jow Forums's fizzbuzz implementations don't even work. It's pathetic.

Same experience here. School is about passing tests. Not about actually being good with technology. I would get worse marks in school for actually learning the material because I had a hard time just memorising the answers and vomiting them out.

I felt anti-imposter syndrome. It really amazes me seeing just how long my co-workers take to think about shit. There is only one smart person in my department [spoiler] who is a woman. [/spoiler] It also turns out I'm also highly creative which isn't valued in school whatsoever.

yes 10000000$ percent newbie

> be me
> mid 30s
> changed careers to software dev like 5 years ago

going from one career to another... there is ALWAYS someone smarter (usually) OR there is ALWAYS something you don't know

the real answer is how you handle it. if you' run and hide... then maybe you are just bad at [thing]. if you say "bring it on mf'ers... well, get some

I dunno what field you are in but it's pretty hard to feel like an impostor as a programmer when most are complete fucking idiots

You realize that you just said "I don't understand how most programmers feel like impostors when most are complete fucking idiots."

this is why woman get paid less

The only beneficial syndrome. It keeps you on your feet and forces you to want to learn. Being content is suicide.

Attached: 1562635997620.jpg (640x411, 153K)

That's just what the plebeians in the mosh pit of irrelevancy say. Everyone knows that the sublime state of stagnation only involves two-to-five parties: you and your rival(s). A man without a rival is stagnation (also, see: the root of the word "ostracism"). An imposter in a crowd is irrelevant.

So are you a spec, or are you a gladiator?

youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8

take a dildo and shove it up your wound

My god, what have you done?

I think only people who actually don't know much have imposter syndrome..
I never feel it.

Dunning Krueger at work in this post.

Attached: 1563002858256.jpg (180x196, 11K)

dilate

>I call people retards
>I surely don't feel or look confident.
Shove it up your festering hole, raving narcissist.

>but there is also a square root law
It's not a law.
And giving it a name doesn't make it a law either.
Maybe it has been observed in a couple of companies.

if you polish the wording up a bit this could be the next shit so cash meme

I call them retards on the internet, retard.
IRL I just point out their errors.

Also, I'm not transgender, but I do support equal rights.

>I do support equal rights.
transgender people have the same rights everyone else does

Thing is, you really only know what is going on in your own domain. You need to know a little bit about what is going on below you to start troubleshooting, and you need to know some things about how your domain is used by the domain above you. Computers are so complicated that I don't think it is possible or desirable to be an expert in all aspects of them. This is why we have abstraction, interfaces, and apis

>the rich and the poor are equally prohibited from sleeping under bridges

what are you getting at?
what do transgender people need that others don't?

(besides a psychiatrist, obviously)

>right to be recognized for their actual gender on officialdocuments
>protection from being fired for their gender

Not every country is as advanced socially as USA. In my country, discrimination against transgenders is common because of pedophilic church brainwashing.

official documents don't list gender, only sex
and you can't change your sex
i've never heard of someone being written down as the incorrect sex at birth

Oh I forgot about one:
>not being hounded by agenda-driven Dunning-Kruger morons who think that noting someone's assigned sex is important enough to be shown on any document other than strictly medical ones

look, i'd love to be the little girl as much as anyone else here, but i can't, because it's not possible, genuinely believing otherwise is a mental disorder, and should be treated. it's really that simple
encouraging this behaviour helps /nobody/
spend the effort on research into real sex change magic, and in the meantime, deal with the fact that you're stuck with the body you have

[autistic screeching intensifies]

>I constantly feel like I don't know enough about coding, computers, crypto, etc. to really compete with my peers.
wow it's almost like you should stop "competing" and treat computers like hobby as it should be.

spbp

based & optimist pilled

you still sound like a loser bud

I do. I'm on meds and sick leave because of this.
And I'm really good at what I do, but my brain seems to tell me otherwise.

>optimism is being an edgy retard who tells everyone who isn't him that they know nothing

>the solution is understanding it's not bad to be a beginner, everyone starts somewhere
this is legit good advice. stop crying