Stallman's Free Software Mantra is Wishful at Best

None of us actually believe this, right? There is simply no fucking way our economy is going to allow free software to take competitive share of the market.

For starters, we have anons and normies alike going into the industry with the prime motivation in making some comfy shekels. The concept of free software is inherently unstable and never will be, and if you think donations are the solution to this then gtfo and have sex. No way are any of us going to be comfortable with donation to all the devs for all of the applications that we use.

Stallman is just a lovable shitsack hippie who will only echo out wishful nonesense from his ivory tower in MiT

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (480x360, 103K)

>Red Hat
>Canonical
>SUSE
>Mozilla

free software means freedom, not price

Wait and see. He's been pretty spot-on so far.

We wouldn't have windows, adobe, vmware, sap, every videogame company, apple, amazon, and dozens of other billion dollar companies without making people pay for software. Without those companies, freetards would have noone to plagiarise from.

How do you make someone pay if he can download a binary or compile his own source?

>windows
linux
>adobe
free alternatives
>vmware
virtual box
>sap
who?
>every videogame company
wrong
>apple
uses unix
>amazon
hosts its servers on linux

>Buy car
>Want to paint it red and modify it
>Do it

>Buy software
>want to modify it
>NOOOOOO IT WIL RUIN OUR ECONOMY NOOOOOOO

Why are people always so obtuse when it comes to software, it's almost as if it's on purpose.

Fuck this fat ugly Jew. I his this thread. Can't stand seeing this kike in the catalogue.

when you look at the privacy reforms in Europe, you can see that the government adopted his ideas about freedoms for software users.

think FREE SPEECH, not FREE BEER

>How do you make someone pay if he can download a binary or compile his own source?
How do you make someone pay if he can pirate the software or make his own crack?

>linux
Not a drop-in replacement, missing tons of software and basic drivers. (nouveau more inconsistent and runs worse than intel hd).
>free alternatives
Not drop-in replacements, have different GUIs, toolsets, extremely poor addons support. (show me how to run v-ray on gimp).
>virtual box
It does work but has horrendeous graphical performance and lacks the depth of settings of vmware. Generally good enough for emulating the gentoo experience and that's it.
>who?
You're a NEET if you don't know SAP, sorry.
>wrong
Show me some examples of rich free-game companies. Remember, according to Stallman's freedoms I am entitled to cheat in online games.
>uses unix
"""unix""" does not exist (it was free software). It has bsd code but is a proprietary package currently.
>hosts its servers on linux
Could use IBM or windows, why not? They're as much alternatives as linux is to windows on the desktop. I can play too. Also, amazon's price couging and AI algorithms are closed source.

Not good enough.

That's explicitly illegal and governments actively prosecute in the first world. You can download a binary without breaking Stallman's meaning of free software.

>How do you make someone pay if he can download a binary or compile his own source?
linus torvalds getting paid for maintaining linux because many companies use linux, so if linux stopped existing all of a sudden it'd be the end for them

ugh this post again

Linux is not the only kernel in the universe. Its code won't disappear overnight, either. Companies will just fork it and move on.

>and linus still getting paid by them
lol

>nouveau
>v-ray
>vmware
>SAP
>games
>Unix
These are all nonfree software. Do not use them.

Mozilla is a shitty example because they survive on the crutches of donations from big corps like Google.

Yeh, good luck getting that across the wider public. Free software only works as a fringe ideology.

Stallman's libre-ware heaven will only be filled with 10 people who have to take on a different living to be able to sustain their hobby-ware.

>Jesus is coming soon, you just wait and see. All of the prophecies have lined up.

Exactly, that's my point.

by providing valuable goods and services that are worth paying for

>Free software only works as a fringe ideology.
still better than proprietary software which doesn't work all

Why?

Why would he. Realistically, Linux should just retire, his role in the kernel has been questionable since he stopped smacking commits all day. Imagine the manpower they'd gain if they had good management, which dropped support for outdated hardware and architectures and turned to something productive. I don't even think they should've released spectre/meltdown patches, either. I always recommend people turn em off.

>by providing valuable goods and services that are worth paying for
Why would I ever pay for something if it's free? This world isn't populated exclusively by dignified generous white men with money to spare. The honour system hasn't been proven to work in software.

>Why?
Because they are nonfree software.

I'm giving you another chance. Why should I stop using proprietary software?

because free software means freedom, not price

Those arguments have already been made a million times on Jow Forums. You know exactly why.

You're letting your autism get ahead of you. I'd be more sympathetic to Stallman's cause had he offered a practical model that's compatible with our current societal paradigm.

Personally, I'd be more than fine as a developer to sell you 'developer' version of the software for a one-time fee, and offer base support at a rate.

Stallman's solution is just pure rhetorical downs.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1100x619, 138K)

How do I, as a programmer, win from this situation?

No, I don't. Can you address some of my points such as being allowed to cheat and scam in online games, nouveau, having to use that one specific software out of corporate contract, or anything else you choose?

>sell you 'developer' version of the software for a one-time fee, and offer base support at a rate.
and yet that is exactly how the typical free software business works

>That's explicitly illegal and governments actively prosecute in the first world
lmao, what world do you live in? Even if it's illegal, there's no denying that piracy of these products is commonplace, and have no effect on the sale of these products.

>Why would he.
>he
you mean they? who fucking cares, he's still getting paid by them
it's a proof that you can make money out of free software

>cheat and scam in online games
Try playing games with people you trust instead of with random russian assholes
>Noveau
Don't buy an nvidia card, they are a customer-hostile company
>having to use that one specific software out of corporate contract
Don't work for a shitty company with clueless IT management

Freeware user reporting in. Never paid for support.

cool story bro

>Why would I ever pay for something if it's free?
You pay the programmer to write the code.

The problem with Stallman is that he doesn't consider the market. All that Stallman has are empty platitudes without real business models around libre open source software.

Stallman could've done a lot of good but he's too autistic to get anything done. He started the free software movement and for that we owe him thanks.

But what about free software sustainability? Most free software projects become abandoned because no one can work for free. This isn't some Star Trek society where shit comes out of thin air. People work in the real world. Stallman fails to address how free software can be self sustaining and profit generating. He's all philosophy and no action.

I imagine companies resembling decentralized cooperatives that build, maintain, audit, and support free software for the end user and enterprise alike. But that means that free software has to overtake giants like Microsoft and Apple. They've arguably got too much momentum to be stopped. Not to mention that the costs of marketing would be in the tens of millions.

Who is gonna convince venture capitalists to invest their millions into this effort? Very few are going to care about the ethics of software.

Who is going to grease the palms of universities so they put out the talent that the movement needs?

So you see the real barriers to the widespread adoption of free software are absolutely monumental.

yet proprietary software far exceeds them in both technology and economies

freeware != free software

how do you win from the situation of proprietary software where you can't legally look at anyone else's source code or modify anything, even if it would save you huge amounts of time?

>buy car in parts
>assemble it
>have to keep changing a bunch of parts because they don't work with each other and every part is made by a different person

hmm it's almost like having government-granted monopolies is extremely profitable for a small group of companies and causes all other companies to suffer

and still doesn't provide all the freedoms that free software provides

Because Stallman's best proposal is
>car company sells cars but also magical 3D printers to make them for free yourself
>people buy them so we can get better, new cars
>nobody actually pays for cars
>no money to engineer new cars
RIP

Really, like the magical sales drops after a game gets hacked versus smooth downward curve of uncracked denuvo games? Piracy is still the exception, not the rule. You are not allowed to pirate and any one government/police/ISP/corporate bureaucrat can just ruin your life in court.

I asked why would he get paid after shutting linux down. And how do I get a regular job with a set pay, paid time off, vacations, and bonuses at the Linux foundation? Donation splits are inconsistent.

>you trust
Infeasible, everyone has the right to join anyone's game, Don't infringe that.
>Don't buy
Stopped reading right there. AMD has no RTX or nvidia gameworks, for a start. What if I see a good nvidia card for cheap? The answer is Linux devs are not dripping the sweat and putting in the effort paying for the nvidia driver license (or whatever suits nvidia to produce good drivers), or simply reverse engineering them.
>Don't work
Not dropping my great benefits and ladder climbing over ungrounded, abstract concepts as software freedom.

Sure and I do that by buying his software for a price he or his company set. Anything else, I can get for free or slap $0.01 without legal or moral second thoughts. And I am more interested about BEING in the programmer's shoes. I want to maximise profits, not rainbows and happy thoughts.

I tell my managers, who tell the CTO (who may tell executives) to order an NDA with the proprietor to lease the license or otherwise come to an agreement. If it's just me, I whine on the forums and get a better alternative. If one does not exist, stop whining.

What are you comparing?

>I asked why would he get paid after shutting linux down. And how do I get a regular job with a set pay, paid time off, vacations, and bonuses at the Linux foundation? Donation splits are inconsistent.
and why would he shutting down linux?

Op here just to add on. No one fucking cares to provide these noble freeware companies with the significant backing that proprietary corps have. No student fucking cares to work for these companies unless they are a newfag on Jow Forums.

Freeware has and always will be taken advantage of, just like how many of us wagecucks commit our talents to make proprietary corps richer.

user literally said if linux goes down, companies go down with. Which is inane.

Point to me where Stallman makes that proposal.

I'm not quoting him, I'm giving my response to user's car analogy with what I deem to be very true to his ideas.

>the economy
Who cares? There are more important things at stake, like software.

>everyone has the right to join anyone's game, Don't infringe that
Sure, until your proprietary spyware service arbitrarily labels that person a cheater and bans them
>The answer is Linux devs are not dripping the sweat and putting in the effort paying for the nvidia driver license (or whatever suits nvidia to produce good drivers), or simply reverse engineering them.
It's not the responsibility of Linux developers to support nvidia's shit hardware. No one is going to pay for an "nvidia driver license" because nvidia will never offer that for sale. There is an effort to reverse engineer them, it's going slowly and will take a very long time. If this really bothers you then don't buy nvidia
>RTX or nvidia gameworks
I don't know what these are and I don't care, stop buying into marketing hype
>Not dropping my great benefits and ladder climbing over ungrounded, abstract concepts as software freedom.
If you put a dollar value on your own freedom then don't be surprised when you lose it

>Freeware
who?

>Wagecuck made this thread
Like pottery. Bootlicking corporations should be a mental illness.

Show me where he exposes those ideas then. You won't because you haven't read them and are just talking shit.

So gracefully said

Freeware and free software are two different things.
Freeware is about being gratis, and the devs can release it without the source.
While free software is about non-proprietary and the devs must also provide the source.

>arbitrarily
You agree to a EULA you've agreed to have read. If you find it ambiguous, you can not agree to it. If you find you've been wrongly banned, complain to the proper authorities (including real life authorities, discrimination is not a joke).
>not the responsibility
Linux is a kernel. Being a kernel, it supports drivers to interface hardware, it's completely and solely Linux devs' entire professions to make sure they put drivers on their kernel, whatever it takes. However, Linux doesn't support proprietary drivers very well and nouveau is a complete joke. The only logical conclusion is, if Linus really thought "Nvidia, fuck you!", he should simply refuse any support for nvidia devices and put a big red sign on kernel.org that states the former.
>don't buy nvidia
Or don't use linux. Nvidia drivers work flawlessly on windows so nvidia engineers are indeed good enough.
>marketing hype
Objective and measureable advantages which lack in the competition. Sorry, ignorance is not an argument.
>when you lose it
I don't have a freedom. Who guarantees it, anyway? Am I supposed to trust some faraway non-profit org with sueing people for me? LOL

In his main freedoms and the fact that he's okay with selling a product while it still is free software. I don't see how they contradict what I said, which is actually backed up by reality.

>I tell my managers, who tell the CTO (who may tell executives) to order an NDA with the proprietor to lease the license or otherwise come to an agreement.
and then 5 months later after going through legal and negotiating the price down, you realize you don't need it anymore and everyone's time and money was wasted
and that's if you work for a large company, a smaller company will just get told to fuck off because they can't afford it

>I whine on the forums and get a better alternative
lmao, so you mean like one that is FOSS?

>There is simply no fucking way our economy is going to allow free software to take competitive share of the market.
And yet, it already has.

>was wasted
The alternative with some of the worse licenses is to open source my codebase or part of it that ships with the code I need, which is utterly unacceptable.

You're right, FOSS will never ever take off and become the standard. It's one of those things where you can use it to free yourself as best you can, even if the other 99% of people won't bother.

To use an analogy, it's like ad/script-blocking software on browsers. I think it'd be fantastic if everyone in the world used this stuff to completely cripple advertising agencies, faceberg, jewgle, etc. I know that won't happen, but at least I myself can still use ad/script-blocking to make internet browsing better for myself. Even if those bad companies I don't like still get to leech off the majority.

what OP said still applies. You can't have open-source software not be free (of charge). His point still stands.

Look bud, not everyone can live life tooting around conferences on the pay cushion of MIT like Stallman and his gunt. I don't see the NEETS coming up with anything productive either.

Op here, I meant free software, the sort that Stallman is promoting.

>You agree to a EULA you've agreed to have read. If you find it ambiguous, you can not agree to it.
I already don't agree to any EULAs thanks
>it's completely and solely Linux devs' entire professions to make sure they put drivers on their kernel
No it is not. It's not physically possible for linux developers to acquire every single piece of hardware ever made
>Linux doesn't support proprietary drivers very well
Literally the hardware company's fault because it's not technically possible for Linux developers to maintain an out-of-tree proprietary driver
>he should simply refuse any support for nvidia devices
Linus doesn't benefit from shipping broken drivers and harassing users, the only people who benefit from that are nvidia
>nvidia engineers are indeed good enough.
Not good enough to unfuck their drivers on Linux apparently
>Objective and measureable advantages which lack in the competition
Stop shilling faggot, nobody gives a fuck
>Am I supposed to trust some faraway non-profit org with sueing people for me?
No, it's up to the copyright holder to enforce the license

>free (of charge)
what charge?

>unironically thinks piracy affects game sales
kys

wrong, proprietary licenses are the ones that are unacceptable

electrons

Donations.

>You can't have open-source software not be free (of charge).
you can, stop spreading this FUD
free software means freedom, not price

Stallman earned more than a minimum wage.

>any EULAs
So you don't qualify as a gamer because you don't use Steam, Origin, Epic or any other store, or any digital store ever, or any modern game because they all have EULAs.
>every single
I don't require that, for heavens sakes. I just want the most popular GPU designer in the universe, one whose products work flawlessly with cooperative partners like Microsoft.
>doesn't benefit
That counts as incentive to straight patching nvidia chips out of the kernel and putting said big red sign.
>to unfuck
It's not a free process, pay up pal. Computer engineers like that need dozens of $ an hour.
>shilling
Non-gamer, non-opinion.
>copyright holder
So it's not so much about my freedom as other people's conviction?

It does, measurably so. Kys entitled poorfag.

Why, because you can have a perfectly functioning product, but digital rednecks can't splooge their CoCs, redundant comments, and obfuscated botnet onto the codebase? Pff

Donations are an irregular source of income. They do not quality as profit.

kys

You got TOLD lol.

>if you think donations are the solution to this then gtfo and have sex

>Non-gamer, non-opinion.
Why would I care about being a gamer when it requires giving up my freedom and installing mass amounts of unmodifiable botnet software?
>I just want the most popular GPU designer in the universe
>It's not a free process, pay up pal. Computer engineers like that need dozens of $ an hour.
Maybe you should complain to them instead of to me. I don't care about this because I don't buy nvidia cards. If you bought an nvidia card then you already paid them a lot of money so they should listen to you. But they won't because they are a customer-hostile company
>That counts as incentive to straight patching nvidia chips out of the kernel and putting said big red sign
You're free to take the code and change it to do that if you want
>So it's not so much about my freedom as other people's conviction?
Technically yes, you can blame your government for that

>Why would I care
Why are you moving the goalpoasts. The gaming industry easily rivals the cinema and music industries combined in countries around the world. Skip that and you skip entire markets aka profits.
>should complain
I'm not on linux and am running the latest 430 drivers on my 5 year old GPU.
>take the code and change it
I've tried messing around with nouveau and found some nice opportunity. I inquired the lead maintainer about work at $20/h and he gave me a stern, yet blatant refusal. His loss.
>blame your government
So in what tangible and well-quantifiable way does free software make me free?

it's pretty clear that you only care about earning so much money
free software is never about earning money and never will be, but you can somehow still earn money out of it
you're probably a poorfag since you're so desperate for money

>gaming cinema and music
All these industries could collapse overnight and I would not give a single fuck
>I'm not on linux and am running the latest 430 drivers on my 5 year old GPU.
Oh so I see you are just baiting then. Awesome work user, you really got me
>$20/h
Try offering higher than pajeet poverty wages
>So in what tangible and well-quantifiable way does free software make me free?
You can study modify and redistribute Linux to do whatever you want and no one can stop you

No, I just love living in gated communities. I've always gone to private schools and now I work for a company whose products Jow Forums loves to hate. But I love the environment - actual, knowledgeable, and humble people.

All this talk of freedom and such seems like cope to me for people who like to see text outputs scroll by.

>not give a fuck
What's your hobby, are you a speg? Do you like old electronics restoration and such crap?
>baiting
Wahahah Linuxfag can't believe it.
>pajeet poverty wages
Ever heard of negotiation? You must be bad at interviews.
>no one can stop you
Really? Can I make my own linux like liquorix that has all security features turned off and compile it with -Ofast and -march=native, so when people inevitably start crying, I pull a Pale Moon and blame Linus?

>What's your hobby, are you a speg?
Not telling you. Mindless consumerism isn't a real hobby
>Ever heard of negotiation? You must be bad at interviews.
Negotiation doesn't mean the other party will accept your shitty offers
>Can I make my own linux like liquorix that has all security features turned off and compile it with -Ofast and -march=native, so when people inevitably start crying, I pull a Pale Moon and blame Linus?
Yes

Hey, what about unreal engine 4. That comes with the source code, makes a profit, and is quite popular
checkmate proprietards

UE4 is nonfree software

what part of comes with the source code do you not understand

doesn't make it free as in freedom software, read the license

>Not telling you.
Cope but also seethe and have sex.
>will accept
Do you know what is the definition of negotiation
>Yes
No, actually, I'm not allowed to randomly distribute binaries of Linux without approval.

Topic's exhausted. (last word btw)

Samefriend from this post

1/??

Thank you, user.

In my opinion, the biggest benefits of free software are as follows.

(1) You can deeply audit the software for security vulnerabilities by virtue of having access to the source.
(2) It promotes competition in the market by allowing competitors to create derivative works that may fill a niche.
(3) It promotes innovation by allowing people to modify the software and start a business around it. Kind of a repeat of (2) but I felt that it merits its own point.

Some of the biggest roadblocks to free software are as follows.

(1) The community. You guys are toxic neckbeards. I'm not saying that you have to start using people's preferred pronouns but you shouldn't shit all over a guy if he wants to play games or is upset that the software doesn't work for his hardware configuration. Fuck. Heaven forbid anyone one of you motherfuckers had to interact with the general public. You wouldn't be able to handle a second of it!

(2) Compromise. Data has exceeded oil in value. You can have free software that mines data and makes you a fortune. It will feed the programmers, IT, and support personnel that make the magic happen. You can attract users by paying them a small amount of money for their data like those shitty online surveys. It might work with the right marketing. But you motherfuckers are purists and that extremism is killing the free software ecosystem.

(3) Corporations and special interests. Google has contributed a lot of code to the Linux kernel, Windows is starting their embrace, extend, extinguish campaign with Linux, and systemd is buggy shit that is being adopted by corporations. Eventually Linux will be splintered and packaged into a commodity. The SLOC count of the kernel has already grown to enormous proportions. How will you pay the talented system engineers (read: the creme of the creme of developers) to re-engineer the kernel once corporations have mangled it beyond all recognition?

you sound like a normalfag
>humble people
it's fake, they only act that way because if they were act like a Jow Forums faggots society will ditch them
>All this talk of freedom and such seems like cope to me for people who like to see text outputs scroll by.
yeah free software is about freedom, that's the whole point

Stallman's Feet Software

>Do you know what is the definition of negotiation
n. mutual discussion and arrangement of the terms of a transaction or agreement
>I'm not allowed to randomly distribute binaries of Linux without approval.
You are, your boss is lying to you
>last word btw
Not surprising, I don't expect /v/ kiddies to make actual arguments before leaving

Everyone believes that what they need should be free and what they make should make them rich

You all are cunts who will make yourselves slaves for the ability to buy a new Playstation every couple of years, what you think means fuck all

SameFriend continuing
2/??

If you really want to save Linux then you need to consider what I've said at and at .

If you want Linux to be successful you will have to abandon many of your notions and brainwashing from the free software movement. You have to work on changing people's ideas about data privacy, freedom of computation, and freedom of information. You'll also have to come to grips with the fact that you will never destroy proprietary software or intellectual property. You will have to compromise.

You will have to compromise on your beliefs about POSIX and antiquated standards. You will have to look to projects like Genode, Plan9 (and its derivatives), and concepts in software architecture to create a new ecosystem for free software to thrive for businesses, enterprise, end users, and for people to make a living off of it. You will need to get support for laws to change in your respective country.

Consider the current trend towards centralized cloud computing. How will you fight that? You need decentralized networks with security built in. Check out ZeroTier, its awesome! You'll need payment systems included in the network. You'll need new protocols and maybe even a new operating system. You need secure peer to peer. You need secure federated networks. You need CONTENT. People go on youtube and facebook because its chock full of content. There's a mountain of effort and you motherfuckers waste your time arguing about which operating system is superior not realizing that the future needs an entirely new system.

Technologies to consider and think about:
- Certificateless public key cryptography (needed for secure peer to peer)
- Serverless computing
- Secure programming languages (Pony, E, et al)
- Capabilities based security

Either you're helping or you're another mindless NPC consumer jerking it to Stallman, Linus, Microsoft, NVidia, etc. etc.

rms is a political activist not a businessman, expecting advice on the market from him is pointless

>you shouldn't shit all over a guy if he wants to play games or is upset that the software doesn't work for his hardware configuration
you are not entitled to have somebody put in effort to support your games or your hardware for free

>You can have free software that mines data and makes you a fortune
>But you motherfuckers are purists and that extremism is killing the free software ecosystem
???????
are you not aware this is already the dominant business model of every cloud services company?

>The SLOC count of the kernel has already grown to enormous proportions. How will you pay the talented system engineers once corporations have mangled it beyond all recognition?
translation: hurrr durrr corporations using linux and paying for its development is bad, also people working on it for free is bad, basically anyone working on it is bad because i said so
my response: stop spreading this FUD you shill

>If you want Linux to be successful hurr durr durrrrrr hurrrrrrrr
success with people who don't care about freedom is not important, they will never learn

>are you not aware this is already the dominant business model of every cloud services company?

I'm well aware but look at how upset people got when Ubuntu was sending search data to Amazon. This was not as bad as the FLOSS police were making it out to be. That's what I'm talking about. You have to consider the culture of the FLOSS-space and realize that it has extremist elements. If you want a good operating system where people can be paid to work on it and where end users get quality then you need a viable profit model.

>corporations using linux and paying for its development is bad, also people working on it for free is bad, basically anyone working on it is bad because i said so

That's not what I meant at all. Corporations paying for development is fine but you have to consider their intentions. Do they really care about freedom? I highly doubt it. When Microsoft "embraces Linux" and adds some of the userspace tools to the Windows userland what are they really after? Surely they don't have the lofty ideals that RMS parades around. Embrace, extend, extinguish isn't FUD. Its the truth and its how many corporations operate. You stomp out or buy out the competition to increase your profit margin. The idea is to create a culture and ecosystem where this doesn't happen.You can make money and be altruistic. Just because it doesn't exist in your mind doesn't mean its impossible.

Furthermore the SLOC count of the kernel is a problem. The UNIX principle in which a piece of software does one thing and does it well might as well be treated as an axiom of software development. Modularity is good. If you argue against this then you've never written anything non-trivial.

1/?

These people who don't care about freedom unfortunately are the majority and control and lifespans of every single product on the market.

Qt too

In the end, Stallman is as full of shit as the shit food he shoves in his gunt

Samefag from this post and the others.

2/?

>you are not entitled to have somebody put in effort to support your games or your hardware for free
I agree so why not stop your mudslinging anti-argument and propose the creation of a space where users are happy to pay for support? No instead Open Source software will forever be the smelly religion of the neckbeard elite. It will never become what it was meant to. Quality software that empowers and frees the user.

Furthermore you refer to me as a shill? Who am I shilling for? I'm literally arguing for the bolstering and the strengthening of FLOSS by paying attention to the market and the business world. What are you doing other than shitposting?

>rms is a political activist not a businessman, expecting advice on the market from him is pointless
You're spot on, user! So we need to sweep RMS under the table and question how his ideas should be implemented. Remember that the devil's in the details. Software freedom is very important but how will it come about? The current model is trash. Soon Microsoft will have everyone plugged into the cloud and they'll be happy to pay a subscription for good software that's supported. No one wants to ask for support only to be insulted and belittled. That's complete bullshit.

>Hey I'm trying to get my Grafx1600x working on Ubuntu. Can you guys help or point me in the right direction?

>LOL NOOB. You use Ubuntu? GTFO.

Oh yeah that's real inviting. You're REALLY contributing when you smell your own farts as you compile X.org from source and masturbate thinking about how superior you are to everyone else.

I apologize that I offended you. Clearly you are superior for making software hard on purpose. You can go worship at the temple of the neckbeard and discuss how to make FLOSS a pointless timesink of endless configuration. You can continue to poison the community with your circlejerking over how much better you are then everyone else.

>samefriend
>toxic
dude fuck off. Also call yourself samefag, not samefriend. That's not rhetorical, btw. Reply to my post saying "samefag". same FAG

>people on the internet complain about things that don't matter
holy fuck stop the presses

>you need a viable profit model
notice how the business model of microsoft windows is not a viable profit model for any other proprietary OS company

>Do they really care about freedom?
it doesn't matter, they have to follow the GPL

>the SLOC count of the kernel is a problem
you don't understand linux development, most of it is drivers, linux expands horizontally not vertically

>The UNIX principle
all traditional unix kernels were monolithic

>Who is gonna convince venture capitalists to invest their millions into this effort?
What? Venture Capitalist do invest money into companies that produce free software.