/hpg/ - Headphone General

It's a Staxxy State of Affairs Edition

Discuss headphones and DACS/Amps. For iem discussion -> >>/iem/

When asking for recommendations give the following:
> Budget
> Open/Closed
> Previous headphones
> Preferred sound signature

What are your most hated heaphones /hpg/?

Attached: sr-009_srm727_fr85db.jpg (800x272, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bottlehead.com/product/crack-1-1-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SHP9500 or Fidelio X1

Shillheisers need not apply.

It’s all downhill from here.

Attached: E499593C-EB06-4FDD-A1D0-D7E82DBC522D.jpg (3516x2883, 1.81M)

Is there a free and open source pair of headphones I can get that respects my privacy?

Did anyone here tried Dolby Atmos? I just know it needs Win10 and compatible headphones or speakers.

so, user, what’re you listening with?

Attached: 5AAF26C3-419B-4969-A68A-2C0959AEE7D1.jpg (3117x2865, 2.42M)

My K712
>K612
Based.

Wait, are those K702? They look relatively similar but the headband looks different.

my shitty shp9500s
would sell everything including my bed just to get heaphones like those

Attached: 400.jpg (213x400, 49K)

yeah, 702

Attached: 78F5191E-7756-4FF4-9E58-01815AFA6FE5.jpg (3989x2599, 3.03M)

The headphone i hated the most? I listened to the Utopia and I Immediately hated it Compared it to HE1000 and LCD-4 at the same time HE1000 being the best since LCD-4 is a treble abyss

Save up and get the X2 either used or new, if not the shp9500

If I have good speakers and don't care about making sound is it worth getting some open back headphones just for music, movies and games.

Jim O'Rourke?

X2
Do not fall for the shp9500 meme. They are awful

Stax amps have published schematics.

Making a lot of sound I mean like being loud

The X2s are also only just ok, their great if you want a decent amount of bass but also open back.

Honestly no, at first the purpose of headphones was only to reproduce speakers without "being loud"

Why are Stax scam victims so retarded?

Attached: 3mpuzRG.jpg (2448x3264, 1.6M)

They're an upgrade from the 9500 at least. But I'm sure there are better headphones than the x2 for their price so yeah

If they weren't retarded, they would not have bought Stax to begin with.

Agree, the Utopia is not an enjoyable listen, far too harsh in the treble. HE1000 V2 drivers are something special. The first version was a bit wonky although very high resolution, the second version is basically audio perfection.

Mind you when I say decent speakers I mean some really old Wharfedale speakers. Sound nice but not much detail and the bass is a little muddy.

If you want to spend money, upgrade your speakers, even the best headphones will sound even more muddy than your current speakers.

Why would open back headphones sound muddier than any speaker?

Don't lie. Stax is still the best value headphone even if you don't accept the claims that they have an extraordinary electrostatic quality.

Nah, Castlemania from Thee Oh Sees, here is Halfway to a Threeway from Jim though :)

Attached: 5CFCBF3A-5344-4EA1-AF85-216E6811C2DD.jpg (3036x2881, 1.64M)

You were quoting one of his tracks though.

Because with speakers, there's nothing around your ears, except sound.

was a prediction, actually

Attached: 3EE58361-E702-4963-A357-0BC9A95939B1.jpg (4032x3024, 2.04M)

Yeah it's bad. Feeling short of breath recently.

*except the room fucking everything up

>not having a dedicated listening room

in the positive way user, it’s all smooth sailing. hope your eating healthy and exercising every day user

Attached: FAC77EB6-3F87-4792-AD42-AB23A072FE6A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.56M)

I wish I did, currently I'm in a small room with not much windows and reasonably solid walls and floors. I want something to throw my money at and not have to worry about the acoustics of the room to fully enjoy. Would my Wharfedale speakers still be better than buying some open back headphones in that case?

Is the acoustic of your room with your current speakers really that bad?

Cool post pics I’d like to see your treated room. For my room I built 22” floor to ceiling ASC tube trap clones along with framed semi-ridgid fiberglass panels for reflections points.

Idk how to tell for sure, it doesn't echo at least, but when it's kinda loud it does vibrate the room a little.

>Stax is still the best value headphone
Why?

Full bandwidth, low distortion, low positioning dependence, typically good channel matching, good quality cable and long lifespan.

>Full bandwidth, low distortion, low positioning dependence, typically good channel matching
meh, can't you just get that from cheaper headphones?

I see, well if you don't mind throwing money, you could buy an open-back headphones just to try it. Or try one in a store.

Not really. Lambdas fully satisfy the criteria for for flagship performance but sennheisers don't. Senns have rolloff on the extremes positioning dependence.

Mostly important is the effortless stax sound which outshines dynamic phones but this doesn't show up on measurements.

where did you get this picture of my stock portfolio

and positioning dependence*

I have tried some in a store but not for very long and it wasn't that quiet in the store, but not loud. I enjoyed the sound and didn't realize someone else wanted a go because I enjoyed it so much. Then again those were high end pairs that I could never afford.

How much is your budget now?

Max of $200 can't really go any higher. I was gonna get some new closed back headphones for on the go use, would something like the monoprice m560 be a good option since it can go between open and closed?

To clarify, I was gonna get a pair for on the go use and an open back for home use, but would the m560 be a good way to save money?

You should try the closed-back for on the go and if you like them more than your current speakers, then buy the open-back for home use.

embarrassing

I meant, save up for a better open-back if you like the m560.

Lol, so your saying get the m560, then if I like the open back mode buy a better pair of open backs? I've heard the closed mode is really bad in comparison to the open mode, should I just get a good only closed pair of headphones?

You want two different things :
-Good headphones for the go
-Headphones for home use better than your current speakers

The m560 could be nice headphones for the go in closed-back mode but I really doubt they would be better than your current speakers but it will give you a taste of open-back headphones at least. So if you like them more than you current speakers, you will enjoy even more high-end open-back headphones, but they are expensive.

How high expensive would I have to go with open backs to get something better than my Wharfedale speakers?

Recommend me a cheap tube preamp

I don't know exactly how your Wharfedale sound but compared to this chart (pic related), I would say you at least need to go mid-fi to start.
That's why the m560 would be a good test if you're gonna buy it anyway to also use it on the go.

Attached: headphones 2.png (1536x3123, 1.39M)

Just having a look at the m560 in detail and it seems to have major QC issues, like it's well built but no quality control, a lotta people have had problems with the 3.5mm jacks on them becoming loose or not working.

Maybe you should try a semi-open one, like the Beyer DT880.

>best value

Having to pay $1500 for shitty hollow sounding 1960s headphones then add in another $1000 for a meme amp you can't even use for anything else isn't value.

what headphones?

I don't think mudheisser 600 series are really the Benchmark for £150 headphones. the only thing they got. on thr competition is. comfort.

You should not post here if you are not intelligent enough to identify the lowest cost stax bundle.

Yes I know the used audio section is filled with dirt cheap Stax setups being given off by Stax scam victims.

Not used.

>Solves headphones

Attached: hifiman arya.jpg (853x1280, 119K)

LCD-2C or LCD-X?

LCD-X seems like an improvement in every way over the LCD-2 desu

600 ohm dt880

> Budget
$160
> Open/Closed
Either
>shp9500, m40x, status audio cb-1
> Preferred sound signature
Neutral/slightly warm. I dislike bright sounding headphones

Are there any good headphones I can get without needing EQ to fix them? I'm too poor for something that needs an amp/dac btw

Attached: f3d370c9ef8760364185f06a3e218913.jpg (912x1363, 338K)

Cheap chinese amps and headphones?

windows sonic>dolby atmos

How are these compared to the HE1000?

Very similar. HE1K owners will obviously say they're better than the Arya by 5-10%.
Having heard both HE1Kv2 and Arya, the Arya basically sounds like the same thing in a different housing. I like the black colour better anyway.

bottlehead.com/product/crack-1-1-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/

so this the power of the best headphone ever xb500

anyone try the new d5200? how are they compared to the OG d5000?

bumping my post if anyone is around
sorry im a poorfag

is there anything comparable to the Beyer 880's in price and performance, but with detachable cables?

Really don't want to make the leap up to 1990's unless I have to.

Wow prices have come down a lot for the classic phones. I paid close to $500 a set for my DT880, K702, and HD650. Back then those were considered high-end expensive headphones, now they are considered babbys first headphone.

No doubt. I remember probably 10 years back AKG's K601s were like my dream headphone. At $350 or so, I figured there'd be no way I could reasonably afford them, but now the K612 regularly run from $110 to $140.

It's kinda annoying that the top end just keeps getting more and more expensive.

Best budget (sub $100-200) desktop amp that takes optical input?

Porta Pros

Attached: IMG_20190804_143258-2016x1512.jpg (2016x1512, 549K)

sr80

My Audio Interface is currently dying after many years of service.
Is there any reason why i shouldn't get the Atom to replace it?
I just need something transparent to power my current (and future) headphones. It having and out for speakers is a plus.
Any alternatives?

Attached: images (4).jpg (678x452, 17K)

So what’s listening tonight user?

Attached: CAEE0BB5-B515-492D-83A6-8471F0C16C41.jpg (2844x2994, 1.6M)

Should I get a dac for my DT770 32 ohm?

Get an Atom and a Topping D50s.
Be happy.

enjoying l700 with LTA microZOTL as tube preamp for stax srm-d10 portable energizer, myself.

Attached: A94D23B0-2DC0-4D02-9525-8395F702DE89.jpg (3070x3021, 1.64M)

Is this a thread for earphones as well? Is there an earphones equivalent of ?

My fucking apple earpod wires are starting to fray at the base of the jack and i'm done buying these over and over like toilet paper - are there any decent wired, relatively cheap and durable earphones around?

Attached: 1556838537259.jpg (960x2000, 356K)

>not enjoying King Crimson with Grado RS1

Attached: 4D1DF613-7C9F-46D7-9452-45FD95517C4D.jpg (600x532, 59K)

>amp
>optical input
You're looking for a DAC/Amp combo. Try the Topping DX3 Pro, it should be fixed by now.

I don't grow fatigued or tired when listening through SR80's. Literally have had it on my head for the last 3 hours with some shitty progrock and I don't feel tired at all.

The SR80's are a fucking revelation. I fucking hate bass now.

>budget
sub-300

>Open/Closed
both are fine

>the rest
I'm looking for something like PXC 550 but wired (detachable) because I have a non-bluetooth PC.

Yeah, I can't imagine the margins on these $1000+ headphones. Btw, which of those 3 are your favorite?

Are you guys planning on becoming Grado boomers once you become older and they become the only cans that allow for you to hear treble?

>fell for shps meme

No unless there's unwantes noise being produced by your source.

Cool, thanks user.