Fuck this

>study Engineering for +5 years and go through advanced calculus and algebra, physics, chemistry, advanced electric circuits, materials science and more; get out with chronic stress disorder but at least now you hope that better days are ahead
>meanwhile some guy who did 3 months in a coding bootcamp has the same salary as you

What's the fucking point?

Attached: STEM Logo.png (1236x651, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

micropython.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if some guy who spent 3 months in a """"coding bootcamp""" knows as much as you do you're braindead and it's a miracle you graduated middle school, let alone all that higher education

>coding
>STEM
that's pretty funny.
>t. electrical engineer

BTFO

If the guy studied Chemical or Mechanical Engineering then he doesn't have to know anything about coding. Low iq post.

I'm starting a mech e degree soon, going to pay extra attention to the software side as being a design engineer and working with CAD seems pretty damn sweet.

As an engineer you produce algorithms, and a codemonkey translate it to any language that you want. That's the difference between been prepared to think and been prepared to copy and follow others people instructions.

> t. Ing, Msc, and now doctoral candidate in electrical engineer.

Well I did a 4 year CS degree. I started my first job 3 years ago. There was a guy who did a coding bootcamp and had been there 6 months already. We were both juniors and had the same salary.

Fast forward to today, that bootcamp guy has been working on irrelevant legacy crap the entire time because he had no ability to do anything else. And I know it was crap because it was the same shitty software I worked on when I started. He was still a junior too (he quit recently, also had some mental health issues). Whereas I have been promoted twice and now work on the more modern software we have. Havent touched the horrible legacy shit for a while now.

The easy route dosent always pay in the long run.

Hey fellow EE, should I be worried? I only ever learned python and C, will I need to code a lot in the real world?

>what is demand?
Lmao not really that smart, are you?

If you're EE, the only thing I've had to learn is C and C++ for coding AVR microprocessors (aka Arduino without the Arduino bullshit). However, it's still best to keep learning new languages just because you never know what will be used next (like JS on microprocessors or some shit).

fpbp

>study electrical engineering
>job prospects suck
>lie on resume to get cybersecurity job 20k over previous salary
Carefully lying about your qualifications is the pro move nobody talks about

>like JS on microprocessors or some shit
Jokes on you...
micropython.org/

Learn some basic OOP principles and you'll be fine

Fuck. I am a Mechanical Engineering freshman. Are there any benefits of having an Engineering degree besides the obvious access to engineering projects? It's not that I don't like it, but sometimes I feel like I am wasting time - especially when I see threads such as these.

The time of a degree by itself being profitable are long gone. Analyze what skills are needed to better compete. Read a book in that between semesters if you aren't prestudying for the next class or refreshing on past texts. Not sure what skills are relevant to your field but pretty much anyone can benefit with some programming abiltiy.

Because once you get past entry level the poo's from bootcamp get barred off due to degree requirements

>going into 3rd year comp engineer major
>hate my life
is this normal at this stage?

You don't need a degree to make it. Just actual skill. Pajeets and tards are just bad at what they do and it'd show degree or not

Higher paying positions always require a bachelors or higher, people without one get automatically filtered. Skill can only get you so far

Failed Calculus III because I didn't draw a 3x3 Hessian Matrix and just wrote down the string of sums with the matrix symbol before everything explicitly indicating what it was , cunt professor gave me half the score for that in a three question final exam... I was celebrating before he posted the results because I was 100% sure I did 2/3

This is factually incorrect
80% of the jobs I see require a degree and from what i've heard/seen gives priority to degree havers

Are engineers the biggest cucks of the STEMlords?

If you want money, go into finance, go be a banker. Really pisses me off when people cry their STEM degree isn't making them rich fast enough. Go do your coding bootcamp with the other stacies and pajeets if you care so much about money.

Get a fucking degree

I love knowing how much the monkeys hate stuff like one-indexing when i deliver my Matlab code

learning on the job is much much more important and relevant than school. rich boomers who make you go to school are extremely out of touch and don't understand that in today's age you can obtain knowledge easier than ever before. that being said, college gives you networking opportunities and the degree is a prerequisite to holding a job just out of formality. real RnD jobs typically require PhDs/post-doc or 7-8yrs of equivalent experience (which is longer than doing a phd but at least you get paid). most of the time engineering jobs is shit that any monkey with some NX/SW (in the case of aeros/mechEs) or VLSI software experience and a semester of reading on CMOS VLSI basics (EEs) can do. so just suck it up, pick a cheap but effective program that is relatively big and well funded but not a huge weedout, get thru the program holding the a decent gpa without tearing your hair out while networking and working on projects with others that show your skills maturing. some other professions like materials/physics its more beneficial for you to publish so working on research early on is critical.

t. phd with offers from lam research, ibm research, and applied materials

There will never be an overabundance of engineers. Never.

>half-ass study EE for 4 years, graduate with a shit GPA but a degree nonetheless
>apply for software engineer job and get hired, 80k salary, pay off entirety of student loans in a few months, quit after a year
>apply to another software engineering job and get hired, 150k salary
I don't see anything wrong with this. College was not a very worthwhile academic experience but the cost is insignificant in the long run if you aren't retarded and it lets you enter adulthood on easy mode.

should have studied STEAM masterrace instead

What's the A? Accounting?

Autism

yes, same situation here

Based /scia/tard

Software dev here. All 3 of my previous jobs only lasted a year. Am underpaid at my current job(about 50,000, get paid by the hour, live in rural midwest for context), it's stressful at times, and I'm far away from family. Also, the culture is not great.

Recently got told by brother-in-law that he could get me an interview at his company since they were hiring a programmer-analyst. I applied without thinking about it, but I haven't interviewed yet. I'm concerned that all of my last 3 jobs only lasted about a year, so it makes me look like a job hopper. Plus, if they do hire me, then I start from scratch, and if I get laid off/fired right away then that would look terrible on my resume and I think I would have a hard time finding another job.

I think that turnover in the software dev world is higher than most jobs, but even so, 1 year is pretty short. Any advice? Should I stick with where I am now? Move if the other company is offering enough money?

Do they really do a thorough background check about the details? You can just put 2 years for one company and make the references available 'upon request' or something or maybe even remove one job. I've no idea though hasn't happened to me.

>go through 5 years of engineering hell because uni requires 140 credits for a bachelors
>js brainlet who did 3 months of a bootcamp still makes more than you

Attached: a09.png (680x708, 387K)

who the fuck said EE prospects sucks? are you nuts? are you faking brainlet?

TELL MOM IT WASN'T HER FAULT

Attached: 1564890165118.png (589x437, 238K)

I had to deal with a butt sniffer of a company that called every reference I had in front of me during the interview to confirm that I did everything that was on my resume.

They also called my advisor from my undergrad.

I hope you didn't take that job

Guys, not OP but in a similar situation. Should I follow engineering or something IT related? I want to note that I don't like math at all, but I am willing to learn.

If you're in engineering for the money you're doomed. Especially in todays job market.

I did not. I was desperate to make money, but I luckily still had my dignity

They had a turnover rate of like 80%of their tech force, and the owner would snoop around job sites like indeed.com to argue and fraud

that's the point; he's bitching because he spent 5 years learning things that are supposedly high-level only to be outearned by someone who only spent 3 months.

dumb complaint imho. 1) you could also just go spend three months, but more importantly, 2) knowing more is always better than knowing less

>There will never be an overabundance of engineers. Never.
You havent been in Finland

DSP/ML or networking? Not sure if I can handle the math in DSP desu

>What's the fucking point?
your professor really wanted that new import. just be happy you were able to help a communist acquire material luxury at the expense of the working class. you played an important role in the grand comedy of western academics, give yourself a pat on the back.

>50,000
>rural midwest
Welding, dude. I started when I was 19 and just got my masters last year. I went from the Gulf Coast Basin in Texas to the Willistion Basin in North Dakota while I was putting in time as a journeyman. By the time I got my masters and moved back to Iowa to work at Vermeer I had saved $530k mostly by taking a good part of my pay as stock in the oil companies. Now I make 6 figures working in a climate controlled building playing with metal all day. Welding is huge in the rural midwest with all the heavy manufacturing and farm supply, it pays well and provides great job security.

Before the machines take over

Yeah but it doesn't matter it seems like employers just want dumb monkeys. There's only so many slots for highly prepared personnel.

>I don't like math at all
So why are you considering getting a degree that is about using mathematics to make meaningful approximations of technological systems?

Sure engineering isn't "just" math, but it is an integral part of it.

OP didn't say the bootcamp guy 'knows as much'. Get some reading comprehension, dimwit.

Meh. It's easier to automate a programmers job than a welders, so any computer nerd that wants to put me out of work will likely put themselves out first. Automation is inexact, which is fine when working with software where mistakes are rarely fatal. Even minor imperfections in a weld can cause hydraulic/pneumatic systems to put shrapnel through peoples heads so they don't let machines handle anything even moderately important.

college is for the fucking next thing after entry level

As someone with a computer science degree, this shit pains me to no end. This shit is so much worse than people conflating electricians and electrical engineers. I spend so much more time writing requirements and design, only to have 'coders' try to implement that careful work in the worst possible ways. For example, I saw the following Java code Friday.

>public class Interface extends someBullshit{

Yes, he named a Java class "Interface". But it gets worse.
He exposed some simple getter, isLooping()
Then he pulled this fucking shit

>public class Looper implements Runnable {
>//some constructor bullshit
>public void run() {
> loop();
>}
>public void loop() {
> System.out.println('hello');
> Thread.sleep(2000);
> if(isLooping()) {
> run();
> }
>}
>}

The only reason I saw this code was because he had no idea how to call "isLooping()" from inside the loop() function.
No. He didn't have any reference to the instance of his Interface class inside of his Looper class.
No. I don't know why he didn't just use a do while loop.
No. I don't think he understands he going to blow his stack.
No. I don't think he knows what a stack is.
No. I've never looked at his work because he's supposed to be under my coworker, not me. That specific coworker was out last week.
Yes. He's a summer intern. He's going to school for some IT degree. Syracuse can get fucked.