/opg/ - Optiplex General

/opg/ - Optiplex General
Welcome to /opg/!

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Dell Optiplex if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /opg/ (Lenovo Thinkcentre, HP Z800).

This is a fork of /tpg/, help it grow.

Attached: 1314629927115.jpg (370x370, 10K)

what's the best entry-level model?

>>Other business laptops

fuck yeah ive used optiplexes at school for years they are generally pretty damn good. the ones i used the most had 2nd gen i3s and i5s

>Dem trips
>Dell OptiPlex
>Other business laptops
This whole thread's a sin.

what? You don't use your optiplex on your lap?

I picked one of these up for 40 bucks on ebay. Better than an rpi in every way.

this shit doesn't even have windows 10 compliant drivers

>using wangshit ten

Attached: 1548739853869.jpg (253x275, 32K)

the ones with 4-digit model numbers are.
but the only real reason you buy an OptiPlex is because schools and universities will sell them for like $40 a pop.

checked and based
any guides?

Used one for pfsense running 24/7 for years. Just recently upgraded to a server mount. Ideas on what to do with the optiplex now?

I use a thinkcenter m73 sff
It's alright, good price and decent performance.

Attached: 1546533326757.jpg (580x580, 38K)

bruh i prefer the dell precision T3500s

Would you say it's cheaper to get an optiplex used than to build a pc with used parts?

I maintain them at work

Yes. You can even get them free with the opportunity from families. In my case, I do work on people's houses, and I have politely offered to dispose of about 30 core 2 duo/quad and a few i5 machines, which I now use for big lan parties. paid nothing.

i suggest getting the full width ones, as the half width ones tend to have very limited bios options not to mention the trouble of finding parts and the lack of expansion cards that fit in there.

This thread is out of control.

Attached: 1394424170709.jpg (679x574, 51K)

damn retard tripfag and cunny quads here.
this thread need to be purged immidiately

Dual X5690 T5500 MasterRace reporting in.

Anyone else using these beasts?

which one should i buy if I want to add a graphics card to it?

Attached: 1563918565862.png (575x1024, 1.42M)

I've looked into these things on eBay but they aren't that cheap in Europe and shipping and taxes and tolls etc from US would cost a fortune. Guess I'm fucked.

thinkstation p300 reporting in

Are these PSUs and its connectors proprietary?

Attached: 1557634037089.jpg (1200x900, 264K)

You can put small-ish gpus in sff pc. I'm using a rx 550 in my thinkcenter m73 sff.

where do you guys buy your optiplexes from?

i'm getting sick of this broken motherboard and would like an optiplex to stick my psu and gpu in

Attached: artworks-000230467370-dl95kq-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 45K)

There is a lot of proprietary shit in these boxes. Fortunately parts are cheap and readily available.

my attic
craigslist probably works too
or goodwill

>my attic
link?

Do you think these can boot from PCIe SSDs with pic related?

Attached: 1558528357266.jpg (1001x1001, 79K)

>he's shilling prebuilts
OOOOF

Enjoy limited hardware support and proprietary components.

>limited to two ram slots
OOOOOF

ebay
craigslist is full of overpriced optiplexs they buy from ebay and then try to flip for double the price, at least in my area

I want to make a new build but can't justify it, the 1050ti is more than enough for 1920x1200 60hz and 16:9 is unusable cancer
fug

Attached: optipleb.jpg (405x228, 25K)

The absolute state of Jow Forums: Spending my Sunday in a "666" thread

Optiplex 755 Win7 - home ent+music prod
Optiplex 745 Win10 - home security + home automation

I got an optiplex a year and a half ago very similar to pic related and installed gentoo on it, AMA

can you show us the pic?

I abandoned it when my videocard is kill
since then I've moved so it's not available to be photographed. here's a screenshot.

Attached: ratpoison.png (1920x1080, 1.31M)

shitposting hackintosh device to trigger freetards

Refurb i7 7010 with 8G RAM and SSD. Just werks and fast enough for 90% of workloads.

I want a NAS. Would an optiplex with a bunch of hard drives plugged in be a good solution?

I have Dell Optiplex 75F SFF with the factory specs and 8gbs of ram and it runs like absolute shit, and I'm not willing to invest in a decent video card for it.

WHY DO RETARDS WANT $50 FOR THESE ON CRAIGLIST THEY ARE GARBAGE JUST GIVE THEM TO ME REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Consider yourself lucky, these things go for $250+ here with half decent specs. Only Celeron shit with 2 GB ram is $50.

I can’t get my Thinkcentre M91p to recgonize my RX 570. Here are my specs
>i5 2400
>12gb RAM
>450W PSU
What is happening is that when i got to device manager and I keep getting a code 28 for my PCI serial port, what do robots

Fucking learn english is what do

This is the code I’m getting btw

Attached: 7B29FB3E-A038-4C2D-8EC0-26184B732DA7.jpg (1242x1575, 909K)

Try reinstalling the drives and deleting System32.

>Intel
lol no thanks

No but the front header is. Well you can use another case but your mileage may very. Otherwise standard ATX psu and connectors, standard motherboard.
Depends, iirc would require 4xxx series up for intel cpus to support nvme drives.

Use GNU/Linux, rx570 works out of the box

Redpill me on buying one of these instead of building a PC

If you only have $5-600 and you absolutely need a pc get one. Otherwise save and build yourself.

Danke user, if I find one of these for *really* cheap I might just tape it to a monitor and say it’s an AIO

I think some some of them have a bracket for vesa mounting.

can i fit a low profile pci card in one of these bad boys?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (650x1600, 294K)

Ehhh I’m tryna use windows

Just to add (I'm the same user from previous two comments) the 5-600 dollars was including some upgrades, I'm assuming you'll want a non shit psu, gpu and an ssd, maybe 8gb of ram if it didnt have it already.

Some towers have 12GB RAM from the factory. Which is odd since it's most likely 3x4GB in 3 slots out of the 4 so you don't have dual channel. I doubt 6GB modules exists or do they?

Not that I know of, I just wanted user to know the price included some needed upgrades. Please chance the PSU if its not a Delta. Those are usable though and I've seen them in dells.

>5-600
wut
you can get ddr3 8gb dimm sticks for like $20 and ssds for like $30

yeah, there's cards made for this small form factor, relatively cheap and worth the few extra bucks

not for the model in his pic though
that's usff not sff

they'll fit specifically in pic related? i only ask because i dont actually see a slot on the machine

feels batman

my bad/sloppy, idk, thought topic was SFF, was gonna say the Radeon. The USFF, if I recall, not much can be added to them.

Fuck off, that identical to the PC I keep for the GF to use when she stays for more then a few days, even down to the 1920x1200 (not the same screen)

well fuck that
good thing i didnt pull the trigger

MTF Optiplex 790 going strong since 2009. It's a
looks like shit on the inside, but I have 4 drives in RAID 10 shoved inside with some AMD gpu running home media and nextcloud servers. It's a fucking beast and cost me like $50 from some business that was going to throw it away.

you want to watch if you have a Guest-to-Tenant law like us in California. More that 14 days overnight in a rolling 6-month period and they can claim legit tenancy. They can prove by just taking selfie each day in the bathroom, having food hidden in the fridge, pair of underwear behind bookcase, toothbrush hidden in bathroom cabinet. Almost happened to me, had to aggressively fight quick/imaginatively.

*getting killed over a dell sff/usff arg*

Attached: would-you-hit-it.jpg (1862x1048, 100K)

>*getting killed over a dell sff/usff arg*
straight up dont know if youre being serious, but i meant "pull the trigger" as in going through with the potential purchase

bruh.

is this a deepfake post?

Ahh the U2412M...exquisite taste.

Really? These things always just seemed to be another cheap pre-built PC to me. What do they offer?

They're cheap pre built PCs

Attached: 1546891245265.png (237x291, 53K)

does that machine even have a PCI slot? It doesn't to be the case.

i want to turn one into a NAS but frankly its not looking good

The only thing I hate worse than a Dell Optiplex are those shitty old Dell DImensions that had Windows XP

Attached: A9921.jpg (2048x1128, 321K)

>Thinkcentre
>AMD
Be happy it boots because those fucking chinks love their PCIe whitelists.
Boot it under Loonix and make sure it's properly recognized in dmesg and X first, then try again with the Windows shit.

Walmart.com used to have gazillion vendors. Bought a couple full machines with monitor for around 100

Except for power consumption if you're looking for an ultra low power device

> cheap
Dingdingding

I'm currently using my Optiplex 990 to rip home-recorded VHS tapes I buy at yard sales. It's a good computer to leave running with automated tasks like that.

These are old and ugly and sooo slow and can’t even do gaming. What’s the point? The case is completely ugly grey and black so any RGB parts won’t show which sucks. Do they even support drivers for RGB mouse and keyboard?

Attached: you.jpg (600x600, 321K)

It has not happened to them that the source of power is burned and they have to look for it where they bought it and it comes out in the same way as the complete computer and it is on request and it takes almost two months to have it and they put a “similar” source of power that It is left with two screws floating and they feel that it is not the same and they prefer to assemble one on their own that came out at half the price and with better features? Well, I do.

it's for real. Guest-to-Tenant law is a nightmare. How that got put into law befuddles me. California, go figure. It's crazy, you only have one "Guest-to-Tenant Experience" then you're scared shitless of live-in girlfriends. If an ex-boyfriend suddenly reappears, it's like all-out war in your own residence. That's how squatting starts, they take turns leaving so you can never lock the doors, or remove their stuff, or change locks. It's a total f*****g nightmare

My instance never got that bad. I shut it down hard and fast. But, read about the experiences some have had online. Goes hand in hand with "squatter's rights".

oh, bc I made the sff/usff error on Jow Forums, thought it was gonna cost me my life lol

serious

Attached: adult-alcohol-alcoholic-206527.jpg (5500x3094, 2.14M)

i asked if it was a deepfake because for some reason when i read your post earlier my brain could not understand what i was reading, it was like i was reading giberish; i figured the only logical conclusion was that what i was reading was written by a robot
reading it again it made perfect sense, not sure what the prob was

these run templeos bare metal perfectly

Are the very small computers from Dell (Optiplex Micro) or Lenovo (Thinkcentre Tiny) that you can mount behind your monitor worth it?
It would look so wonderfully tidy with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

What about the elitedesk? I wanted to buy one to use as server

Are they worth it to you? They're nice but pretty underpowered.

Squatter rights is about abandoned property. Just call the police and have them arrested for trespass.

>hate the specs
>love the sff case
Can i cram a b450 itx board in there instead? Mount a GPU backplate-to-sidecover with a pcie-riser?

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Dell Optiplex
Yeah, no, I'm gonna buy a Thinkcentre instead.

Attached: 01.jpg (1133x1600, 210K)

>Buy a refurbished optiplex
>Change any part
>Need a Dremel to cut shit
No thanks, I'll get a Terra an enjoy business experience the right way

Oh fuck yes for general shitposting machine/office use. Those things are neat as hell. Can get them decently specced too.
We sell them to clients at work and servicing those things is always fun (non-sarcastically).

>lady called about internet issues
>told her to check network cable connected to computer
>"yes user", I'm not an idiot
>agree to come take a look, pull up, and see network cable plugged into PC under desk
>so_far_so_good.gif
>Re-install drivers, USB NIC and safe mode and nothing working
>pull monitor out of the way to get a better look
>See ThinkCentre SFF mounted to the back of the monitor
>Desktop under desk is old computer that was replaced in 2017 and never unplugged
>I've just spent close to an hour looking at the wrong fucking machine

So yes, those bad boys are clean as fuck.