What does Jow Forums think of Qubes?

what does Jow Forums think of Qubes?

Attached: qubes.png (403x360, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It does interest me, but I still didn't try it, outside of it's security features it seems quite bloated. Ideally I'd like to find a security oriented and minimal (like arch, void, ...) distro. I did find Alpine linux but it seem more dedicated toward embemed and server systems and might be a pain in the ass to setup to be a desktop.

I use Qubes on a Daily basis, and it's honestly one of the best operating system's I've ever used.
Qubes has some of the best features from it's isolation, hardened kernel, easy sandbox setups and general security to availability.
The fact that I can run multiple Distros at once in the same Window Manager is very nice, and offers quite the variety in knowledge.
tl;dr, I love Qubes
Problem is, that Arch and Void will never have even remotely the same security settings as Qubes does. Not only is it extremely secure by nature, but the fact that it also isolates everything makes it 10x more secure than arch or void

Attached: Qubess.png (1600x900, 147K)

I used to use it as my main OS. I really like it but there are some aspects that are flat out inconvenient. Like trying to remote in to your dom0 is just not possible and copying files between vms is a hassle even with scripts to copy them easily but I love the idea behind it and I'm sure we'll see a lot of the isolation stuff in future OS releases

Attached: qubes (2).png (3840x1080, 634K)

>remote in to your dom0 is just not possible
That ruins the entire point of qubes. The entire idea is that Dom0 is air-gabbed and NOT bloated with all your bs

Just use Xen on a regular OS if you want some of the features of qubes but want to keep your uncompromisable os

>security via fuck tonnes of virtual machines
>just pile shit on top, surely that will work
No. Operating systems and hardware is flawed. This approach is a hack which gives the illusion of security.

all shit distros in one - pedora,plebian and ugandu loonex

I sort of gave up on security for my personal use because I value convenience over it. I use proxmox for my VMs on my server though. Currently it isn't doing much but I'm getting it ready for my school next semester
I know but for me it was an interruption in my workflow.

Attached: Screenshot_20190804_165256.jpg (2151x1368, 451K)

It's a walking meme.

Joanna of all people knows this, hehe

I tested it on my laptop.
It was alright, though there were some inconveniences, for example no indication when copying files via gui.

It's too autistic for me.

I'm a Jow Forums shill anyway desu

Attached: Shill.jpg (2388x2866, 1.09M)

qubes shill*

would you joanna's boipussi

how so?

Does archlinux template working good?

I don't use Arch in my Qubes setup, but you definetly can with the Qubes builder!
qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/

What are the issues I've read about hardware comparability? How beneficial are sane motherboard IOMMU groups? Can I do pci passthrough per window? Per window type? I.e. can I pass a GPU through to all windows instances?

You can't pass GPU to multiple VMs if your GPU doesn't support SR-IOV and stuff.

Depends on your setup. I use a T420 and has never had a single problem.
Regarding pci passthrough, that's related to Xen. You can definetly have specific PCI passthrough for each VM which apply for the entire group of VM's.
Yes, you can have GPU passthrough on all windows instances. also see

Attached: PCI.png (1600x900, 270K)

Attached: qubes-net.png (640x525, 54K)

I understand how it works, user and I understand the purpose of dom0 being off the network entirely
Thanks for the graphics I guess kek

SR-IOV is still fancy enterprise shit right? That honestly shouldn't be much of a problem right? Does dom0 have a GPU to manage the screen and stuff? I'd like to use this as a daily driver because the idea of windows as a process makes my peepee hard, but I'm unclear if it's going to be buggy and retarded or just mildy broken and a little dumb

It's like using OS which spins VM for all tasks and doesn't use its own stuff directly.
You can definitely use it as a daily driver, but it will be inconvenient sometimes.
dom0 manages your GPU

If you want to pass a GPU to a VM you need a second one for your X server. Most people will just use their integrated graphics for dom0 if you have em

bump for more opinions

Couldn’t get it to run on my xps 15 but it ran well on my t420. Only problem I had was that Whonix couldn’t connect to Tor for some reason. Probably fucked something up with sysnet. Stopping using it fairly quickly though because I wanted to try Gentoo and it seemed too inconvenient (ironic considering my choice of Gentoo I know) to use.