CMW: Desktops are Obsolete

Change My View: Desktop Computers are only relevant in 2019 for playing video games or video editing. I can't find many other usage cases where it makes sense to use a desktop over a laptop.

Attached: D8G1TBW1017__50140.1541786445.png__25469.1558342020.jpg (1280x1280, 103K)

Some retard working at best buy said the same thing to me 10 years ago. "By 2015 there will be no more desktops manufactured".
>k

Why change your view? If you don't really do much with a computer, you don't really need a particularly powerful of expandable one, and there are indeed better things that fit your niche. The desktop is becoming more specialized, just as the mainframe and minicomputer did when desktops gutted their low-end market share in the '80s.

Change My View: Laptop Computers are only relevant in 2019 for trips or homelesseness. I can't find many other usage cases where it makes sense to use a laptop over a desktop.

Attached: DhGW2XqUEAAqDTD.jpg (825x959, 101K)

Use your desktop to compile all your Gentoo installations

We live in an Always Online mobile connected world. Get with the times gramps.

When will mobile CPUs as good as current ones? Is there even a laptop CPU that goes to 2500k or 4790k performance with cool temps and decent wattage?

>Get with the times gramps.
But nowdays we have smartphones always in our pockets that make laptop computers mostly redundant

Attached: 1555638502236.jpg (346x364, 15K)

>streaming
>movies
>home network use
>vms
Being able to do all that without taxing the system is great

Media creation in general is better on desktops, unless you treat a laptop as a thin client
But then you have to buy even more hardware
Laptops are limited by ports, less modular, more expensive given a specific performance point, and often just end up as glorified desktops in an office environment anyway
In addition, security conscious applications should be run on desktops to dissuade idiot or malicious users from stealing it or inadvertently creating an opportunity for theft

I want a desktop so fucking bad. I have a laptop with an external monitor at home because my house is chaos and need to take it to the library sometimes to study.

t. mobilepleb
Desktops will never die because there is always going to be people who need more power than 25w

a 15W Kaby Lake CPU is all you really need for 90% of computing tasks. Unless you are doing content creation or vidya gayming you really don't need more than a 25w laptop cpu.

>a 15W Kaby Lake CPU is all you really need
if I only want to browse the web
>Unless you are doing content creation or vidya gayming
that's the majority of the desktop market cavebrain

He wasn't wrong.

>desktops are cheaper
>more powerful
>more healthy because of how morons use their laptops

they only spend more electricity but everything else is superior than shitty laptops
only literal gay men prefer laptops over desktops
men can use laptops, but gay men prefer them

>only literal gay men prefer laptops over desktops
>men can use laptops, but gay men prefer them
this

Personally I fucking hate using laptops. Even when I'm not playing games, I still always use my desktop rather than the laptop I have.
I hate using laptops. I hate their small screens, their cramped keyboards, their lower resolution, their worse screens, their heat and fan noise, their often-shoddy construction. But most of all I hate their lack of modularity and inability to individually fix things that malfunction.

that's what phones are for, boomer.

You DON'T want your laptop to come with a soldered on, required to post budget you with poor cooling?
You DON'T like buying a whole new cpu, motherboard, and GPU every time I've if those three components cook themselves? What?

This for me too.

I used a laptop for like 10 years, holy shit I'm so sick'n'tired of them. The small screen just doesn't cut it for me. Whatever you do, you will always have a cramped as fuck screen.

Don't even start me with using an external monitor, because by that point you might as well use a desktop.

LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE TRYING TO RELAX AND LISTEN TO SOME MUSIC
BE A SHAME IF SOMEONE SPUN UP AND RUINED THAT NOW WOULDN'T IT

Attached: 379cc21b-4479-4656-a3fb-e5bb5b97c2d7.jpg (1000x1000, 59K)

Desktops will always be relevent, and the standard for computers. There are more uses for a desktop than just vidya and editing/creating that laptops cant handle

Ok niggers, let's do this
>desktops are for gaming, ergonomics, customizable parts and peripherals, esoteric or niche peripherals for business and typical work related productivity but are not portable at all
>laptops are for portable web browsing, comfy movie viewing, light productivity and can be taken anywhere. Heavy graphics laptops are basically portable desktop hybrids with less power but more than a normal laptop
>smartphones are used for communication and light entertainment, very light productivity and niche things like audiotext real-time translating and emergency situations
>tablets have no use, fuck iPads and the kids that have them, and fuck you Ron for letting your kid have one
Case fucking closed. Go to bed retards

>using laptop speakers to listen to music
Brainlet alert.

>gaming

Attached: 1526649079127.gif (413x243, 51K)

Like it or not, games are not just for children. High level puzzle games, engineering games and grand strategy are the true Aryan genres. Nintendo handles our childrens mild entertainment while they take a break from being outside. Only basedlēnt soaked manchildren play grindfest skinnerbox games.
Watching TV, gambling, doing drugs and smoking, and lacking a passionate hobby is what virgins do.

>implying most laptops aren't equipped with a leafblower cooler at a noise level approaching a Fermi card and can be audibly heard through headphones never mind external speakers

>Like it or not, games are not just for children

Attached: 1564921040424.png (276x337, 176K)

Value. Desktops allow much better value and upgrade ability for whatever tasks you choose. Laptops have limits both on performance but also on upgrades of all sorts, including peripherals ( ie desktop displays vs integrated laptop ones) . if you have the space, a desktop of some sort ( even SFF matx or mitx ) is preferable.

>some grown-ups acting like children
>this somehow makes an entire branch of entertainment media immature
Keep being miserable i guess. Next you're going to deconstruct every form of cultural creations, assign them each to an image of someone we should find detestable and jerk off over your supposed superiority, you complete bugman.

>you complete bugman
Says the gamer...

>I can't find many other usage cases where it makes sense to use a desktop over a laptop.
Preference.
/thread

>enjoying interactive entertainment media leisurely
>bugman
Kindly explain the implied correlation, because i fail to follow your train of "thought".

True, it's either a tablet, phone, laptop OR a gaming oriented workstation these days.

2080Ti bros ww@?

Attached: games.jpg (2704x2028, 865K)