WSL

>WSL
>New terminal
>Open sourcing their projects
>Edge is actually good
>The best IDE in the world, VS is free for small company commercial use

I'm starting to warm up for microsoft, bros.
Are they, dare I say it, /based/?

Attached: mslogo.jpg (1200x800, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/873
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All of the points you mentioned are pure shit. 2 cents have been deposited to your account, Rajeet.

They realised that people don't actually want Linux, but they do what POSIX-like features. Hence their drive on the first three.
The last two are simply because the competition is so shit.

>embrace
>extend
>?????
Come on, OP, figure this out.

excel?

Excelâ„¢

>edge is actually good
>lags when I open it and try to open another tab
so this is the power of microsoft edge

>>WSL
just a linux vm
>>New terminal
ok
>>Open sourcing their projects
the ones noone cares about
>>Edge is actually good
it's just a chrome fork
>>The best IDE in the world, VS is free for small company commercial use
written in javascript

pycharm isn't bad, they just don't have the power or clout to move the language in a way that makes sense for IDEs.
Unlike Microsoft, who seemingly creates a new language every year for the express purpose of being optimally used in an IDE.

exceed

microsoft's slogan should be "you use our software because you have to lol fuck you"

>>WSL
If you have to embed ANOTHER Operating into your OS to make it usable you should realize that you FUCKED UP.

new terminal is shit right now, good thing it's in beta

Which projects do you want to see open sourced?

have you tried to use their nfs client?

its abysmal

Attached: CvNGL6MUkAAyZcD.jpg large.jpg (2048x1575, 384K)

>company actually trying to make their software better
>company provides good services
>somehow Jow Forums mad

the true state of Jow Forums

Attached: 1557487615535.jpg (640x645, 61K)

>>company actually trying to make their software better
Just because you "try" doesn't mean you won't catastrophically fail.

>wsl
just use gnu/linux
>new terminal
still garbage
>open sourcing their projects
so?
>edge is actually good
chromium reskin + microsoft botnet
>the best ide in the world, vs is free for small company commercial use
it's shit

Visual Studio is "free" because it spies on everything you do and sells the data to hundreds of marketing firms

So what are you implying here ? that they shouldnt change ? that they should move to only serve enterprise and nothing else ?

I think that, although cautiously, give them a chance at it.

Attached: probs.png (986x722, 692K)

wsl is godawful

Visual studio code is written in JS
Visual studio isn't.

>VS is shit
substantiate this claim

Minecraft

>So what are you implying here ? that they shouldnt change ?
No, I imply that just because they "change" that doesn't mean that they will actually necessarily better.

Not that I care, unless they fully open source every one of their products.

grow up

Ejaculate

Ok, Minesweeper

current file explorer
mspaint
ie
wmp

>>WSL
WSL is two failures in a row. WSL1 was an attempt to support Linux syscalls on the Windows kernel, but it failed because they couldn't get Windows filesystem performance to match Linux. WSL2 is a cop out. It's literally just a VM. You can install a Linux VM right now and get the same thing.
>>New terminal
If the new terminal delivers on everything it's promising, it will still only be almost as good as every terminal on Linux and macOS.
>>Open sourcing their projects
Except the ones that make them money.
>>Edge is actually good
No.
>>The best IDE in the world, VS is free for small company commercial use
If VS was the best IDE in the world, it would have a good editor component, it wouldn't be shit for languages other than C#, and it wouldn't need a dedicated GPU for decent performance. The editor in VS isn't even as good as the one in VS Code, so it can't be the best.

>Are they, dare I say it, /based/?
No. Microsoft realised they were losing developer market share to macOS, so they took these half-steps to try and win them back, but only brainlets are falling for it. Everyone else can see they're still the same Microsoft. You can tell because even though they're embracing open and interoperable tools for developers, they don't care about the areas where they're already winning, like video games and business software. They don't give a shit about Vulkan, and they're not opening more of Office. If Microsoft start winning again in development tools, they'll close back up again.

Attached: no.jpg (500x651, 152K)

Dilate

>but it failed because they couldn't get Windows filesystem performance to match Linux
You are a fucking idiot. You literally crashed into the first hurdle a 4 year-old child could have cleared.

Attached: 1547588306243.png (177x176, 6K)

What?

>i am a mong who doesn't understand that the performance difference is from ntfs having to emulate posix shit
When you don't have to emulate all this shit (for example, in WSL2), the problem disappears. As a small (but bright) child would be able to explain to you.
This is why you're a fucking idiot.

Attached: 50060714_239179186964657_4259777044100939776_n.jpg (400x400, 17K)

That's literally incorrect. It's true that POSIX to NT path translation has a performance impact, but that wasn't the reason WSL1 had to be replaced. With enough effort, the difference could have been negligible. The problem that can't be fixed is that sending an IRP down Windows' I/O stack is fucking slow. Fixing it would require rearchitecting the whole thing, and breaking every third-party file system filter driver. It has nothing to do with "emulating" anything on NTFS. NTFS (the filesystem, not the Windows implementation) would work just fine as a POSIX filesystem, but any filesystem would be slow on Windows.

Read this (by a Microsoft/WSL dev): github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/873
>Whether we like it or not (and we don't), file operations in Windows are more expensive than in Linux, even more so for those operations that only touch file metadata (such as stat).
>These apps were written on a system where file system operations are incredibly fast, and we're trying to run them, unmodified (unlike e.g. Git for Windows which tries to optimize its access patterns to better fit the Windows way of doing things) on a system that, unfortunately, is not as fast.

What's worse is that everyone who has ever used Git for Windows on a large repository knows that, even an "optimized" Windows program is slower than Linux at doing the same thing. Even when you're only making one NtQueryInformationFile call per stat(), Windows is still slower. And of course the problem disappears in WSL2, because it works on top of a virtualised block device and it barely has to touch the native filesystem.