Attached: PC.jpg (3264x2448, 3.54M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_retrospection
youtu.be/2qe4W_USweE?t=66
youtube.com/watch?v=ueEUTL6cv7c
youtube.com/watch?v=_8yGGtVKrD8
bel.fi/alankila/modguide/interpolate.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yup. But on the other hand, I don't miss having to wait 10 minutes for my windows 98 computer to boot up.

You could always just make some lemonade while your system booted up

Is there a generation of people who don't claim that things used to be better and simpler?

Attached: Gandhi_thinking_mood_1931_reversed.jpg (870x1096, 208K)

>boot up pc
>go to take a piss
>return
>its failed to boot or is hanging
>diagnostic beeps/speaker on reboot
aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

No but consider how many things are able to distract you nowadays if you want to get some work done. Like a billion things coming at you at lighting speed, each one taking more and more of your attention until you are reduced to a jiggling mess.

In early 90s you had a computer, a quiet room, a few books and that was it. You could actually work on shit without pretending to be working while watching youtube. It was all just so much more straightforward and stripped of bullshit

Attached: 0.jpg (807x659, 37K)

My Win98SE machine ran a pair of 7200rpm drives in raid-0 and booted in less than a minute. In retrospect that was a terrible idea.

>Press power button
>Computer boots to terminal prompt instantly

I remember Packard Bell

Woah, dude

For me they were better because I didn't really waste my time on the computer as a kid since I had no Internet access.
So either I had to do some stuff for school that involved Encarta/Word, play some Blood, Commandos or football management games, or burn a PSX game/music, or the computer wasn't even turned on.

But I reckon it's my fault for not having self control.

>In early 90s you had a computer, a quiet room, a few books and that was it. You could actually work on shit without pretending to be working while watching youtube. It was all just so much more straightforward and stripped of bullshit

Pretty much this. Multitasking killed joy and attention span for many people.

>simpler
granted, software in the 90s was fairly primitive
>better
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_retrospection

That external display showing CPU frequency looks so cool. I want something similar today.

>No but consider how many things are able to distract you nowadays if you want to get some work done.
>You could actually work on shit without pretending to be working while watching youtube.
But that's straight up your own fucking fault, you brainlet.

Look up 5.25 front panel lcd displays

what is burger lemonade like?

Euro lemonade is just mountain dew/sprite/7up

>what is CF2IDE

>simpler
Simpler in principle, but often more complicated to operate.
>better
I absolutely don't miss prohibitively expensive hardware that became obsolete in two years, and by that I don't mean "new stuff runs like shit" obsolete but "it won't run at all" obsolete. I also don't miss the time when troubleshooting stuff didn't mean looking the solution up online and applying it, but calling everyone you know with a PC and hoping against hope they a.) encountered the same issue at some point and b.) know a solution.

These "primitive" software is way more capable than anything nasa had when they first sent men to the moon

not in my lifetime. I remember getting my first somewhat gaming-capable computer in 2012 and trying to install battlefield 3.
It took 2 days to download. 2 fucking days at 250KB/s.these days I pound steam in its boipussy at 6MB/s and boot up instantly with my SSD.
fuck the late 2000s and its delayed growth of infrastructure.

I want a turbo button.

well yeah software from 1995 was better than software from 1969. modern linux or windows 10 running on modern hardware is orders of magnitude more sophisticated at an engineering level than windows 95 on a white box

true
youtu.be/2qe4W_USweE?t=66

>Euro lemonade is just mountain dew/sprite/7up
Where did you see this? It's not the case in at least france, germany, belgium or the netherlands in my experience.

What? Euro lemonade is literally lemon water

I've never heard of or seen still burger lemonade. In the UK at least, it's sparkling water with lemon flavouring.

>Unable to connect to IP driver
>Error Code 0

what the fuck?

>I absolutely don't miss prohibitively expensive hardware that became obsolete in two years

Gotta agree specially on this.
I sure don't miss paying 800 bucks for a Pentium III.

>Euro lemonade is just mountain dew/sprite/7up
in some countries. here in the uk lemonade is usually carbonated water with sugar and lemon flavouring added rather than the home made OG cloudy lemonade
>The predominant form of lemonade in the UK and Australia is a clear, lemon-flavored soda. Schweppes and R. White's Lemonade are common brands, and stores usually carry a store branded lemonade as well.[12] Schweppes uses a blend of lemon and lime oils.[23] Other sodas which are both lemon and lime flavored may also sometimes be referred to as lemonade, such as Sprite and 7 up. There are also speciality flavors, such as Fentimans Rose Lemonade, which is sold both in the UK, the US, and Canada. Shandy, a mixture of beer and clear lemonade, is often sold pre-bottled.
>The predominant form of lemonade found in the US, Canada, and India, cloudy lemonade, also known as traditional or old fashioned lemonade in the UK and Australia, is typically non-carbonated and made with fresh lemon juice; however commercially produced varieties are also available. Generally served cold, cloudy lemonade may also be served hot as a remedy for congestion and sore throats,[13] frozen, or used as a mixer.

I miss these kind of videos.
youtube.com/watch?v=ueEUTL6cv7c

>UK

Yeah, but that's because the britbongs insist on doing everything differently. If contrarians had their own country, it would be England.

My dad bought a Sony Vaio with a Pentium III and it was like $2000 in 1998

Attached: 1551519843142.jpg (1000x1416, 324K)

Not in recent history; we're in a century-long trend to push for technology regardless of the associated cost in mental, infrastructural and societal complexity.

That's because you used outdated hardware FOR THE PERIOD.
Stop running 98 on a Pentium MMX when it was meant for P2 and P3.

>6MB/s
that's not something to be proud of

Shit, it's ridiculous how cheap is to build a computer these days compared to the 90s.
I remember my cousing bought a CD burner to pirate games and he paid 300 bucks.

coming from 250KB/s its fucking sensational.
and anyway, it's very common knowledge at this point that the shithole factor of your country directly correlates with how good your internet is. Romania has fantastic internet for example.

how is tech nostalgia even real nigga just use the terminal like nigga turn off the wifi haha

>$2000
The saying used to be:
"The computer you want is $5000"
-John Dvorak

It was very common for people to buy used systems from flea markets, newspaper ads, etc. The "usable" lifespan of most computers was often 10 to 15 years because expectations were different. Many happily used C64s well into the 90s. Now, I guess there's refurbished systems that seem to be targeted towards geriatrics, but that's about it. Anything older than 5 to 8 years is "unusable" by many people's standards.

>Anything older than 5 to 8 years is "unusable" by many people's standards

Yeah, people that know shit about computers usually go overkill.
I'm using an i3 2120 just about fine right now because my main computer broke, and I used that fucking Pentium III with 256MB of RAM and a 20GB HDD till 2005.

>used to collect viruses
>had a couple floppies filled to the brim with different ones

fuck off with this MS garbage
Amiga was 20 years ahead and it's a massive setback for tech development of the entire world that the far inferior system had won the market

Attached: A1000[1].jpg (490x361, 30K)

>Yeah, people that know shit about computers usually go overkill.
Even "plebs" do that, because faster computers can somewhat alleviate misuse, especially with modern software. My laptop is near-permanently soft-clocked at 800 Mhz ("power-saving mode") so I get better battery life, but I practically only use a couple of terminal emulators and sometimes a web browser. I'm not a typical user in 2019 though; most people probably install Bonzi Buddy and use it to stream 4k resolution Game of Thrones on to their 720p monitor (it's actually 1080p but the resolution was lowered by mistake so the monitor upscales).

>"unusable"
and they are, thanks to insane bloat of software and web, now you need 4+ gigs ram and quadcores just to browse the internet

>But I reckon it's my fault for not having self control.
Noone has self control.

>tfw considering buying an Amiga just to make chiptunes

Never been into Amiga but its sound chip is PCM so I imagine you don't even need an emulator to get the Amiga sound, just any ol' tracker. Keep your project down to 4 tracks and your samples to 28 kHz, and you've got an "Amiga".

e-machines were below $399 back then

"...Rosebud."

Attached: images(30).jpg (259x194, 5K)

anything weaker than a Sandy Bridge core i5 is completely unusable even for normie shit and even that is pushing it.

I just hate piano black so much

I want cigarette smoke stained beige to make a comeback

No, is not.

Normies need windows and animations.
A programmer can spend 90% his time in a terminal.

Yes it is. Anything weaker can't handle 1080p60fps youtube in Chrome or Netflix and Facebook smoothly which is what normies use. Sandy Bridge already struggles to do that as it is.

Nonono. I'm an old fag and online since '90. I wouldn't go back there.

why are yo retarded user?

It's the cynicism of complexity and simplicity
>when thing's are simple, people want to do more stuff
>when thing's are complex, people want to do less stuff

video games
>from simple graphics with compelling gameplay
>to the total opposite
The early game series had shit graphics but the gameplay was expansive
now it's all just rehashed old ideas put in a buggy open worlds with loot boxes completing about 95% of the actual game

music
>from simple chords with compelling lyrics
>to the total opposite
today's music is nothing short of one upmanship where a giant mess of complexity goes into making it so a thot shaking her ass looks less disgusting than it actually is
whereas music from the 60's is so simple yet moving, take ACDC for example
youtube.com/watch?v=_8yGGtVKrD8
artists used to be able to sing and dance, but now it's all backup dancers and looking "pretty" to avoid the fact that the singer can't even sing without auto-tune and backup vocals

phones
>from simple tasks with compelling UI
>to the total opposite
today's phones are nothing short of super-powers our ancestors could have only dreamed of, yet the amount of duck face selfies makes none of it worth while

I'm not sure if you are talking from your ass or presonal experience but I'm using an i3 2120 with a GTX560Ti right now and I can handle 1080p 60fps just fine.

You said "even for normie shit" which is of course going to be wasteful. A ratty-ass old PC is plenty for many people who know how to operate a computer.

there you go retard

try watching 1080p60fps video while having Spotify and Discord open and have Twitter and Facebook on your other monitor.

A Sandy Bridge can't do that. It's obsolete and no longer useful.

Welp, you confirmed that you are talking from from your ass.

this is bait

The only difference was that older operating systems had an event-driven kernel. If you throw out all the graphical user interfaces, and the upgrade from 8 to 32 to 64 bit, that's really what it boils down to.

Im from the eu you fat retard. UK is irrelevant anyways, i cant way for the to fuck off from the EU. Trully the most disgusting nation ever to stain the earth.

Amiga rules.

>so I imagine you don't even need an emulator to get the Amiga sound
Heh, if only if it were so simple.
bel.fi/alankila/modguide/interpolate.txt

Attached: 1547704020168.png (1920x1080, 2.05M)

>Turbo Button
Hell yeah, nigga.

Attached: now this is podracing.jpg (773x413, 43K)

Remember when you'd go into Comp USA, and there'd be nothing but a bunch of beige plastic computer accessories; mics, speakers, monitor stands. It was like an addiction trigger I swear, the beige plastic would make me salivate.

I code in java, python, php, do database work, and the usual js and web dev writing, with Adobe CC, and i just use a Dell inspiron with i3, 6Gb ram, additional monitor, and of course a bunch of external drives. I do just fine. Gamers can have their fps- boosting shit, what do I care, I do good work and get shit done to make money. I code in VS Code, np++, Android Studio, and Dw and those are my tools.

You guys think I care about over clocked i9's? Yeah whatever.

Attached: Lindsay-Wagner-Amelie-3.png (1679x929, 1022K)

Boomer Group Crying Thread #3278632654

The guy is either parroting opinions or suffer of a severe case of post purchase rationalization.

my XP computer booted fine dumb boomer
except when I got viruses ofc

Imagine all the hours wasted on overcoming that 640 KB limit back in the day. Bill Gates had a lot to answer for.

Sounds like you owned outdated hardware.
My NT 4.0 workstation in 1997 booted up in under 20 seconds.

/his/ here, not exactly true. People tend to remember past events as better (sometimes worse) than they really are. There's even a few characters who survived the Black Death as kids, that still had more pleasant memories of their childhood than what is likely warranted. Hell, even the complaints we have about people being more distracted nowadays (particularly the ones in reference to social media) has existed before the internet's existence.

>In early 90s you had a computer, a quiet room, a few books and that was it
this has literally nothing to do with the time period you could do this in

I got an IBM Aptiva in 98. It was my first PC

Things used to be simpler when they were harder

I had to take a loan in 1998 to buy a SGI Octane. The basic configuration had the price of a mid-size car.

Attached: 457bf7ca311ca94bcd65bfbe6801bfeb.jpg (350x263, 20K)

>the state of zoomers

Attached: barf.gif (416x410, 876K)

lol bs

They have overclock buttons nowadays.

>Amiga was 20 years ahead
Hah, you wish. Amiga faggots are literally the Mactards of retrocomputing, they think their childhood gaming consoles invented everything that was already being done on real computers for years while they were still dicking around with floppy disks and sidecars.

Attached: 9020_9030_9040_1982-PromoPhoto-29 (1).jpg (678x940, 132K)

I do this shit all the time on a Nehalem machine, with multiple tabs, while running games and IDEs too.

This guy gets it completely. I love my retro shit, but most of it carried a $3,000+ price tag brand new and definitely couldn't keep up with software advances like newer machines can no matter how much you whine about web pages not loading as instantly as you think they should. Systems were definitely simpler in principle, but actually making use of them without a thousand layers of abstraction holding your hand was undoubedly more difficult.

I love the past, but I don't miss it. At least not completely.

It was simpler but not better

>human beings are robots are can ignore all temptations
You two are idiots.

Instant gratification is bad for your mental health.

Packard Bell 822CDW (I think), $3k in 1997 but it came with the machine, monitor, speakers (attached to the sides of the monitor) printer/scanner/fax, webcam (!) And mic.
I cant remember the CPU but I remember it had an 6gb hdd and 64mb ram

Why do these threads always have to be full of Microdicks talking about their toy computers?

Winkey keyboard?

Yeah, yeah, but this time it's actually true.

Why, yes. In old times you were not allowed anywhere near computers with a math degree.

Now fucking liberal arts dropouts shitpost node_modules and jars

/thread

You got what you paid for. The low range systems had enough ram for the os and that was fucking IT. The sound of thrashing hard drive is etched into my brain forever.

Hardware is probably getting better, or was until recently.

Software is objectively getting worse. We solve the same problems over and over, in higher levels of abstraction, with more overhead. The industry is also filled with shittier engineers and practices.

this

>zoommax