So basically Linux users are memorizing multiple lines of code...

So basically Linux users are memorizing multiple lines of code, just to do simple tasks like: installing a program or changing display settings?

Attached: 1565010674096.jpg (371x353, 23K)

linux is a lot more gui friendly now
but we arent supposed to tell you that

GUI tools exist to do all that and they work fine

Linux is a kernel. GNU/Linux users other than kernel developers don't need to know a single line of code.

i pretty much dont remmeber anything
I just have aliases like a sane human being.
I just type "install " and it turns install into the install command.
Same goes for everything. Thats why cli is better, it allows just automating things way easier. You're crazy if you manually type every command by hand

You don't have to do that unless you are doing something very specific on a regular basis. Even then, you could save that in a shell script and move it to /usr/bin.

Installing programs via the command line is really comfy, you just write pacman -S firefox, and boom you have Firefox installed on your computer. I don't miss having to download installers, clicking through the wizard and deleting the installer manually.

>moving things to /usr/bin
just edit your $PATH variable so you can have scripts right in your home folder
Why would you willingly not seperate your own scripts from system ones

The current gui for linux is fine to do almost everything gui based
But if you really wanna know what's going on you use the terminal.

Linux developers take into account that the average user isn't going to memorize everything which is why user forums exists and why some forums have posts from literal fucking ancient times still up. Linux also has man and info pages to help you learn about commands. Hell, even some guru's have trouble remembering commands. But if you wanna do things via the terminal and you can't even memorize simple commands like nmcli con clone or sudo apt install or some shit
why fucking bother using it
literally seen forum posts were people mount to their fstab file accidentally put a '
and then they have to fucking go through an ass load of steps because their dumbass thought it would be a good idea as a beginner to full encrypt their drives and then mount it manually.

>sudo pacman -Syu
Oof, literally hundreds of lines of code Im literally a human calculator

No, you remember the name of a few commands and some switches. Or use a GUI and remember the keyboard shortcuts, menu structure, and icons. Or be a retard and look everything up every time.

>or you just use Windows

Attached: 1547894087670.jpg (822x960, 50K)

yes they pretend to be hackers

and talk about linux like it is a secret club

it's the absolute women repelent

yes op i google the command everytime i want to install something.
like i might want to download dolphin and then google it and it says something like dolphine-core.6.5.1 instead of just plain dolphin

Attached: images (68).jpg (229x220, 8K)

>pretend
Prepare to be hacked it too late for you you went to 4chin we are legion rofl

>Or be a retard

For the most part yeah. Some GUI stuff is good but sometimes it's faster to use the terminal. For long commands you can always make an alias or script. For example, I have a script that switches my audio output between my headphones and speakers and have it set to a hotkey.

yes and by the time you open the homepage of the program you want to dl and install we already installed it with apt/zypper/etc.

Long story made short: need any directions to the gas chamber or you can get to there by yourself?

yes and it is even worse because freetards are constantly changing how things work. Configuring network manually is now different than it used to be before systemd on debian

Linux is all about making things more complicated than they need to be and pretending to be a 1337 h4x0r while doing it.

>move it to /usr/bin
>not a /usr/local/bin
Might as well install software with make install.

Google should have an IQ test instead of captcha

Depends what distro. Archfags need to learnlines of code for the easiest things and because of that they think they have an IQ of 180.

Linux has a GUI unless you use Arch
Bu7 1 7h0ugh7 7h15 4ch4ns 41r34dy 15 h4x0rz?

So basically literates are memorising thousands of words, just to do simple tasks like: writing a email or filling in a form?

that's a stretch. it's more retard friendly now but if you want to install anything even slightly left field you're opening the terminal.

In-between undermining society with their communist degenerate pedoanime watching, yes that's exactly what they do.

Terminal commands are not coding/programming

>writing an email
dude that's advanced for linux users

they memorize shit to open a calculator
linux comes bundled with 85 calculators and 114 notepad clones

So basically macos users are memorizing multiple touchpad gestures, just to do simple tasks like: scrolling on a webpage or changing desktops?

the only command I habe to run on a regular basis is systemctl start mariadb. apart from that i rarely use the terminal. maybe for the ocassional chmod +x but that can be done with right click.

the only command I habe to run on a regular basis is seystemctl setart mariadb. apart from that i rarely use the terminal. maybe for the ocassional cehmod +ex but that can be done with right click. ignore the e, chan thinks its spam

I see this bait threads is filled with hackerz. Well done Jow Forums:(

so basically windows users follow a guide what to click in a GUI instead of pasting a one-liner in a terminal just to do simple tasks like: installing a program or changing display settings?

So basically Windows users are memorizing multiple fighting game combos and input them with mouse, just to do simple tasks like: installing a program or changing display settings?

>code
God you are a retard

>memorizing multiple lines of code
The absolute state of this board.

Attached: 3e21b5afe9738db3db0ab4f5ce3cb8d6429cb932ab36d0492a1f7925edf22c9c.png (1024x1024, 268K)

Synaptic works flawlessly unless you have no Internet and rely on a USB drive for installing software

is yay -S that hard to memorize? and use arandr.

Let's be honest. It's all about what you're used to.
If you are used to the concept of downloading installers then the thought of using a package manager via the command line seems alien. At the same time, if you are used to a package manager then the "Windows approach" feels weird as well.

This.
>Wintoddlers can't remember a short sequence of characters
>they need to type the programs' name on Google and search for an installer, which has a 20% chance of installing bloatware/crapware/adware too

something like this. I still dont like that everything feels so boiler plate on gnu if you know what i mean. Like i feel there should be a "core" system and then user programs or something. But i know why it cant work.

you're still using your muscle memory to use gui. regardless, it's faster and easier to use cli if you get used to it.

good. women are bloat.

your winfag machine does the same but the difference is that WinToddlers dont realize what their machines are doing exactly, just clicking buttons like a baby playing a keyboard toy

Is this bait?

Windows:
>Open web browser
>Google application
>Go to website
>Find the download link
>Download it
>Open the installer
>Click next a few times
>Make sure you uncheck the boxes for the browser toolbars and metrics reporting

Linux:
>Open terminal
>sudo apt install butthole
>type password
>y

Being generous, you might use the Windows app store, which might be a bit faster? but let's be real here no one uses that. Plus, in addition to being faster, your Linux packages are going to be signed by your distro's maintainers, which adds a level of security windows installers typically don't provide.

Supposed to use 8 for B lol

Lol u mean I wasn't programming all this time?

I unironically do the same on Windows too; in fact for me there's practically 0 difference when using it and loonix. I just use windows due to the better pen and touch support

linux is basically all GUI now I made my mum use it, she can't break anything and it just works. Loonixfags really should stop acting like it's not easymodo shit

>what is bash history you can search using ctrl+r

no, its not code
and its also not diferent than memorizing multiple clicks on buttons on menus and submenus

>Having multiple options is bad.

Using the terminal is faster once you get the hang of it but you can use the GUI too.

yes memorising (paS "name of the program") is very hard

tfw mom finds the linux distro

Attached: 1564153123588.png (371x353, 115K)

is it bsd or something else
any thoughts?

Attached: OpenBSD-e1564060226198-696x391.jpg (696x391, 37K)

You memorized multiple steps to put your pants on every morning. How the fuck is that different?

windows users have to remember multiple websites to download .exe and have to carefully read during install so they don't install malware.

>carefully read during install so they don't install malware
If you're going to lie at least make it plausible.

pretty much. also getting some wifi cards working can be a hassle but if you want something barebones nothing beats it.

The Microsoft store was supposed to stop that but people rejected the idea for retarded reasons

So basically humans are memorizing multiple sounds just to do simple tasks like interact with other humans and convey ideas?

BUTTHOLE NOT FOUND IN REPOSITORY
oop time to google what repository i need and pray that it works after the first attempt since the first link on duckduckgo was 7 years old

>changing display settings?

At least you CAN change display settings from the command line.

I have a keybind that runs a script that turns my TV on and my monitor off.

On Windows I would have to do this manually everyday and it would be way longer.

Attached: 1564859844098.png (270x360, 66K)

this retard

Attached: tumblr_nt3nte3YlQ1rouu9to1_540.jpg (540x360, 57K)

ah yes because windows is incapable of running scripts via keybinds ???????

>he starts searching for random ass repositories instead of compiling from source

>linuxtards compile everything from source to install simple programs

probably because the store brings more problems then it solves, wich is the current business model for software development

Puppy Linux user here. I have a Package Manager and GUIs. I don't know what the fuck are you talking about, pham. I can also download .pet packages and install them too, just like your average .exe installer on Windows.

This might have too many GUI based applications for its own good, but well, it's the only distro that I know of, that lets me save my session if I want to use it via a USB Stick, so I just ignore it.

Attached: screenshot.png (1366x768, 504K)

It's incapable of changing display settings through the command line.

In general, almost everything on Linux can be done through the command line, thus it's scriptable.

On Windows, you can do almost nothing through the command line.

What problems does the store bring though?
The store itself can be buggy but the concept is otherwise fine

This doesn't happen on major distros.

>On Windows, you can do almost nothing through the command line.

Attached: 1519610023499.png (245x206, 6K)

No, but searching for random ass repositories is about the same level as downloading installers from random 3rd party sites. Either your distro provides the software, there's a trusted "extension" repository for your distro or the devs provide the compiled package (or a portable build, etc.). Otherwise compile from source.

Do a pastebin of your alias config, I'm interested

I use Python shell as a calculator.

Linux is a kernel. You don't use it, that's literally the purpose if it; managing things so you don't have to.

And with that knowledge you can do advanced tasks as well.

Yes, on the rare occasion that a package isn't in your distro's repos, you have to go to the internet to find that application. How is this comparable to needing to go to the internet for *every* Windows application?

Does anyone have WoW working on a distro?

yes

Which? Using Wine?

Distro doesn't matter, they all can run WoW.

Yes through Wine, there is no other way.

alias install='nix-env -Ai'
alias ss='sudo systemctl'
alias r='ranger'
alias c='searchconfigs'
alias sf='searchlocalfiles'
alias e='exit'
alias clr='clear'
alias sc='nvim .config/sway/config'
alias vi='nvim'
alias vim='nvim'
alias prime='DRI_PRIME=1'
alias nixc='sudo nvim /etc/nixos/configuration.nix'
alias test-build="nix-build -E 'with import {}; callPackage ./. {}'"
alias invidon="mv .local/share/qutebrowser/greasemonkey/invidious .local/share/qutebrowser/greasemonkey/invidious.user.js"
alias invidoff="mv .local/share/qutebrowser/greasemonkey/invidious.user.js .local/share/qutebrowser/greasemonkey/invidious"
alias dmenu_run='. "${HOME}/.cache/wal/colors.sh" && dmenu_run -nb "$background" -nf "$foreground" -sb "$foreground" -sf "$background"'

>alias ss='sudo systemctl'
stealing

>e
>clr
Why not just use Ctrl-D and Crtl-L?

hey... it's a good fucking alias. So I yoinked it

Ah yes, code. Simple commandline isn't code. Power users do that everywhere regardless of OS, when on Windows, I use Powershell and a shit ton of batch files on the regular.

eh there has been a problem with bash shortcuts with this system for the longest time and I couldnt be bothered tosee whats the issue. Those keybindings only work in vi mode for some reason

yeah I just checked disabling vi mode makes them work, but I can't live without that mode desu

>It's incapable of changing display settings through the command line.
> On Windows, you can do almost nothing through the command line.

ITT: People too retarded to use Windows.

Attached: img.jpg (492x559, 78K)

>he blindly clicks through GUI until he finds a setting that sounds vaguely similar to what he's looking for

bash is a programming language, the terminal is a REPL

They work in vi mode, but only when you're in command mode.

it wouldnt be better if we keep both terminal and GUI menus?? instead of forcing just one??

Attached: cat_whats_up_everyone.jpg (800x534, 39K)

>changing display settings?

Has an easy GUI, but is scriptable with xrandr (especially useful when using a wm with no gui for this).

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-05 15-11-57.png (1514x916, 786K)

>20%

I think you mean more like 40%

apt search 'dolphin'

Based. Try Nox if you want a somewhat more convenient interface to nix-env. Lorri is also worth looking into if you don’t want to worry about running nix-shell.

Yes, it is better to have both options. Guess what has both options? Linux.