/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RX 5700 - overkill framerates*
1440p 16:9 + 1080p 21:9
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard*
>RTX 2070 Super - higher framerates in some games*
2160p 16:9 + 1440p 21:9
>RTX 2070 Super - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - best fit for 4K but expensive
*requires complementary CPU and high Hz monitor

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Hello.
I have an e5450 with a 400 psu and a 750ti. I don't play a lot of games but I am looking for an upgrade on the cheap.
Is an RX 580 realistic? They're really cheap on ebay right now. I think I'd need a new PSU too, since my current one doesn't have the proper cable for a powered gpu.
What would the ballpark be for how much power it needs? I think the e5450 is 80w, according to ark, but is that under load?
So would 600 W work?
Would my e5450 even drive an RX 580? It's getting pretty old.

Attached: 1555604715820.png (480x580, 359K)

Brainlet question here:

Does it matter whether you buy your RAM as a kit, or can you just get 2x the same individual stick and it's basically the same thing?

I mean, generally it should be, but is there a somewhat higher risk of running into any issues?

600W is more than enough for any single RX580 system. Even my R9 290 build never pulled more than 550W when I cranked the power limit to maximum.

I was gonna wait for the Sapphire cards but the fact that XFX is planning to sell something branded "THICC2" makes the inner shitposter in me want it.
How's XFX and their Customer Support?

Attached: XFX-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-THICC2-7.jpg (1200x900, 133K)

Only if you wont want your bus to explode, buy the kit.

How much longer before video cards get their own external enclosures?

Dang it, I was hoping I found a way to save a few bucks.

if it's the same specs same model, it's okay

Ram looks better now. Maybe do your own research before purchase. You've only been getting my opinion.

The 1650 is supposed to replace the GTX 1050 right?
If so, when are we supposed to get a replacement for the GT 1030?

I would be ordering the exact same model twice. For whatever reason buying an 8GB stick twice is cheaper than buying a 2x8GB kit of the exact same RAM.

that's what i did and it works fine

>replacement for the 1030
user, the 1030 isn't worth it, it's a waste of money. The replacement would be as well. I'm sorry. Go for the 1650 or use integrated graphics. The price difference between the very usable 1650 and the 1030 or whatever replacement comes out is worth paying. I'm sorry that's the truth.

/And/ you say it like it's a bad thing that it gets improved over time but is still good price/performance on launch.

XFX has some of the best warranty support.

Huh? Those already exist.

Replace it as in being another shitty card you shouldn't buy, yes.
>1030 replacement
That's the 2400G.

>i'm gonna put the ram in the furthest sockets because reasons
nope. nope nope nope.

The hell is adaptive sync? Is it like gtsync+ freesync?

it's what g(oy)sync and freesync are

>w*men on technology
there's a reason why all major innovations on this planet were made by men

Attached: 1564935719459.jpg (720x1159, 74K)

this is my first build, cpu is r5 3600, should i go for non-max version of this? max version offered by local retailer.

Attached: msi-b450-gaming-plus-max.jpg (1004x776, 204K)

>should i go for non-max version
never

>consider m.2 form factor [for SSD]
Whatever happened to
>NVMe isn't better than SATA for gaming

wheres XL-ATX on this pic?

Will a 5700xt be good for 21:9 1440p or should I go for a 2080 or 2080 super? On Vega 56 right now and 75hz freesync but want to do a new build and eventually grab at 144hz 1440p 21:9.

It's honestly negligible for gaming. Nvme is for bandwidth more than speed

5700xt should be good
but if you want 2080 or 2080s wait Q1 2020 when amd release 5800xt so nvidia will slash prices on 2080 and 2080s

Wait for the 5800, should be early next year.
Or do upscaling from like 1200p with RIS.
That's a hard resolution to run (natively, not upscaled) even on a 2080S

m.2 isn't nvme, you retard.

Real question why dont they ever use 140mm fans?
I slap 2 of those on all my GPUs and the temps and noise improve massively.

i5-6500 + gtx 1060 6gb + 2133hz (16gb) still relevent for casual gaming/browsing/multitasking?

>m.2 isn't nvme, you retard.
I know that, but getting an M.2 SATA SSD over a 2.5 one seems like a waste. Most mobos only have 1 or 2 M.2 slots, but will have at least 4 or 6 regular SATA ports.

I was told to wait for zen 2 but none of the AMD CPU say they are "zen 2". Is 3700X zen 2?

More than just casual.

Attached: 1561563554391.png (898x882, 108K)

>Is 3700X zen 2?
Yes. All the 3000-series Ryzen CPUs (except the 3200G and 3400G) are Zen 2.

>all of my parts finally shipped
I'm ready to be PC masterrace by the end of the week. Any tips for things you have to do after a fresh install/build?

Attached: 1308298990782.jpg (210x208, 7K)

Install Gentoo

For retards:

Zen = Ryzen 1xxx series
Zen+ = Ryzen 2xxx series
Zen 2 = Ryzen 3xxx series

maybe consider putting this in the OP

Install drivers unless you're on Leenox

how much will the 580 most likely be?

>For retards
It's really fucking dumb though. Also what do I do about
>Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Zen 2 CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

So anyone can confirm that Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT is a good buy ? I mean, everyone said to wait for it, now its out, any bad surprise ? thanks

Buy x570 with IR doublers so you're able to upgrade up to 16 core 32 threads in the future?

>now its out,
it's not
that's the blower design
wait for the open fan design by mid august
and yes sapphire make the best amd cards

Just buy a 2070S and dab on Radeoncucks

>Buy x570 with IR doublers so you're able to upgrade up to 16 core 32 threads in the future?

Attached: 1549550261554.png (203x209, 14K)

plugged my vega 56 in and my pc wont post, the vga led comes on but the fans spin and the leds light up, any ideas? using a 2400g and b450 tomahawk

It's good if you're too poor for geforces.

What a fucking retard

Current build:
>Ryzen 2600
>Vega 56 8GB
>8GB RAM at 2833MHz (errors on higher clock but supposed to be 3000MHz)
>1080p monitor and Valve Index

I mostly game but do a little streaming too. Anything with the Index has the resolution cut in half (used to have the original Vive so build was overkill at the time), streaming is mostly fine but gets impossible on some higher end games like AC Odyssey, can't keep anything above 42fps in areas without just looking at the ground since it's CPU-bound. Is a 3700X worth the upgrade? 3800X is far too expensive for too little gain but VR especially is very CPU intensive.
Also thinking of getting better RAM while the prices are cheap, I bought the current 2x4GB set last October for the same price as 2x8 goes for now.

Attached: its-an-abstract-kind-of-hell-1445986.png (500x525, 104K)

My 1440p 144hz monitor has freesync and I'm too much of a brainlet to understand when to use it. If you can output 144 frames and above, freesync is useless, right? So just turn it on below 144 FPS? Also keep VSYNC off at all times?

Do you have it running now? If yes, easy. Just update the BIOS and drop in your new CPU afterwards.
If no, either ask a local shop to flash a new BIOS for you or contact AMD for one of those Athlon 200GE loaner kits you can use to get your system up and running, flash a new BIOS, drop in your actual CPU and you're off to the races.

is it ok if the SSD goes beyond 50C? to be exact 56C? if not, then what the hell is the point of the SSD bays at the back of the case? They are so hot.
Also why is Zen 2 such a hot chip?

Forgot to mention, Gigabyte Aorus X470 "Ultra Gaming" mobo, should be getting support for Ryzen 3000 series in an update

literally download more ram

>gigabyte

Attached: 1532700332786.jpg (470x470, 31K)

so I just built a new system with a 3600x and I just installed windows and a game or two then walked away to do stuff so the pc went to sleep.

I came back and unplugged the ssd forgetting it was asleep because I wanted to boot into my old hdd to grab some stuff from it. now the ssd is fucked and wont boot, and when looking at ssd the files when booted from the hdd, most of the SSD's folders say 0 bytes even though they weren't empty before. how stupid am I?

>using sleep at all
>putting your beloved computer in to a state of living death daily.

Your suffering is well deserved.

I've been reading about it, I think I'll just get one of those motheboard that can be flashed with a USB stick.

yes yes I know, I found out how shit they are when my mobo bricked BOTH BIOSes during an update. Not buying another one now though.

screencap this
5700xt with factory OC will dab on 2070s for cheaper
2019 is the year of AMD

it was a fresh install and I walked away for about 2 hours. that puts it into sleep by default right?

is the hdmi connected to the mobo or GPU?

why dont u just get a nvidia 1660 or higher for nvenc for streaming

Some guy on /v/ told me that a Ryzen 2600 + RX 570 8GB isn't enough to run Monster Hunter World at 1080p/60fps. Is he right or just memeing?

maybe. AIB cards certainly won't fix AMD's shit OpenGL performance and incompatibility with older games. that's the reason I went with the green jews, even if I would've liked to support the underdog. that, and the fact that I wanted to build NOW, not in mid-august. AMD should learn from these launches:

- Always have the budget motherboards (b550) ready when you launch a new line of CPUs. could've saved themselves a lot of bad press with people whining about b450 now working. fuck paying 200 bucks for a mobo with a fucking fan and useless features

- have non-blower AIB solutions available at launch for any GPUs you put out

if you're worried just get a 580.

It's been said in earlier threads, but the main reason to get the MAX version is that it's new and thus supports Zen2/3XXX CPUs out of the box. Older B450 motherboards all require a BIOS upgrade, which may or may not work well for you.

tried both, neither one works now

is it at all possible to recover any of the files, also is this typically what happens when you unplug an ssd while its asleep or whatever?

Attached: 1564775904615.png (335x886, 271K)

Alright fags how's this? I already have a power supply and case. I want to play video games and stream/records on linux.

Attached: 1537262375721.png (1272x842, 183K)

Nice try but your lies are easily detected. If I came in to the room and my computer was not running I would immediately sense and locate the problem. You obviously saw your zombie PC as a normal state and went about business as usual. Disgusting.

>Blower GPU
No.

I don't want to wait.

Do you guys overclock by setting straight up settings for 100% of the time or using variable voltage and turbo and shit

Im OCing my 7700k for the first time currently running 1.3v 4.8ghz but as I'd like to use this processor for years I wonder if I should be more gentle with it...

Whats up with blower GPUs getting shit on? Other than they look fucking stupid. I never bought one my self because of that fact.

fair points
but i always have hope that amd will unfuck drivers for older games compatibility now that they changed the architecture completely
an if it doesn't, i always have my old laptop to play C&C generals

Attached: 1563559641410.jpg (320x311, 18K)

No.

>buying an expensive AMD video card

why, just why

did you seat the gpu properly or is it halfway in the PCIe slot?

I did that back during the transition between Z87 and Z97, worked great.

>not buying the superior x570

>Not telling your computer "Good night" before putting it to sleep before going to bed yourself
It's like you don't want you or your computer to have sweet dreams.

Attached: 73389017_p18.jpg (1668x1113, 649K)

it's amd thats all that matters to people now

I've used GPU recording on the AMD card before, on those games (usually VR) where it's heavy in both CPU and GPU it makes things worse than using software encoding. A GPU upgrade isn't out of the question, though not until the rest of my system catches up to need it.

Nvidia driver kikery mostly. AMD is fine wine.

it's 100% in and my pc wont boot even when it's removed (well I haven't taken it out but when I take out the vga cables and try to use the apu it doesn't boot)

But is the CPU good enough? The guy was telling me that MHW is a CPU intensive game and that I was better off getting a 3600. I'm also tight on a budget and don't want to spend too much money. (

>Nvidia driver kikery mostly.

Nvidia drivers offer support for like 6 years farther back than AMD drivers, and are generally just far better

Stop believing stupid shit from people you'd read here because they are poor and can't afford nvidia cards so they emotionally ally themselves with the inferior products they can afford

anons please how do I recover a drive that I unplugged while the pc was sleeping

ok I got an rtx 2070 instead

Reinstall. You lost your boot directory. Theres no recovering that.

>well I haven't taken it out but when I take out the vga cables
try to take it out for real and tell me

>nvidia drivers add performance to last gen cards when the new cards releases

Attached: 1355739283325.jpg (1100x1380, 240K)

yeah, they do

>non super
nigga wtf are you doing

>Hold up the raid guys let me install my new drivers so I can .00001% better frame rates!

guise?

Attached: 1554938255155.jpg (700x700, 209K)

>Nvidia drivers offer support for like 6 years farther back
yeah, to gimp them so you buy the new ones
good job (((novideo)))

How do AMDfags defend this, genuinely asking not shitflinging.

Attached: Laughing wildlife.jpg (480x480, 33K)