/hpg/ - Headphone General

Discuss headphones and DACS/Amps. For iem discussion - >>>/iem/

When asking for recommendations give the following:
> Budget
> Open/Closed
> Previous headphones
> Preferred sound signature

What are your most favorite headphones /hpg/?

Attached: jbCgVcPdRXZC1YRI2oZ3_3qKeFvWGRbQ3wreRhIVc_58x_clear.jpg (1080x1080, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tfxV6fVwOEY?t=164
guitarcenter.com/Used/JBL/LSR308-Pair-Powered-Monitor.gc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>> Budget
$800
>> Open/Closed
Either
>> Previous headphones
mdr 7506, dt 770
>> Preferred sound signature
Don't really have one but I dislike anything too bright.

SHP-9500 owners, can you hear grainy / uneven sound compared to other headphones in this track when the bass part starts?

youtu.be/tfxV6fVwOEY?t=164

Prev thread

Real non meme answer please.
Is stax 007 considered good? You guys used to rave about it now I dont see much hype anymore. Thank you.

> Budget
$500
> Open/Closed
No preference
> Previous headphones
HD558
No real preference, but I'd prefer something without overly obnoxious treble

I've been using HD558 for several years now and had no issues with them but I'd finally like to try something better.
I'm considering the HD650 but I can't tell whether the recommendations for the HD650 are just a meme in-joke among audiophiles and the headphones are actually shit.

Attached: 650.jpg (1154x1500, 181K)

I'm using them right now and I can hear a significant amount of grain from this track. But it's just a compressed track on youtube so I guess that isn't a very good example

True, but it doesn't happen with the same track on any of my other headphones. I might be imagining but now I'm hearing traces of it elsewhere too.

Yeah shp9500s are very grainy. Makes alot of songs sound muddy to me along with the shitty bass

HD650 is good, they have a warm sound signature though. Not everyone prefers that.

Well, fug.

It's good but it's sort of deprecated since the HE1000 V2 costs more or less the same, is tuned in the same warm/musical manner but are technically much superior.

Sorry, I'm assuming you fell for the meme and got them too? I'm returning mine today

I tried these at a store and they sounded like my HD58X but with way too loud bass that extended about as far. The mids and highs were complete shit. Even my Fidelio X2s were better "bass cans" than them. What the fuck, why does everyone and their grandma praise this headphone so much.

Attached: LCD-2C.jpg (1000x1000, 313K)

I don't think I can return them anymore and it'd be too much of a hassle anyway. I could sell them, but I seriously should find a decent mid-range headphone that works without an amp. Do you have any ideas?

>technically much superior
How so?

Wireless earbuds that are comfortable to wear in bed?
price irrelevant.

Bass doesn't bleed into the mids unlike SR-007, upper mid and treble doesn't sound as muted which makes human vocal sounds more "open", wider stage.

I love unspecific requests like this one.

>huge budget
>no limitation on type
>no real sound preference
So we're just gonna list all decent headphones under $800 except for Grados and Teslacannons?

Unless you are carrying your audio gear with you maybe it's because the store setup and your home setup aren't the same

then teslacannons should be a must-buy for requests such as these because Beyers are toddler-proof

If you say so autist

Thoughts on Samson sr850?

Attached: SR850_angle-display.jpg (580x464, 15K)

Samson is a biblical hero who had long hair and used spears and smashed doors.

Except the setup IS the same. They had a chord mojo and I have a chord mojo. I even tried my X2s with a cheaper dac with way less detail and it still sounded better. I heard a ton of bass notes that were crystal clear with the X2s and inaudible with the LCD-2Cs.

That is very interesting... try with an A/B test

I tried with my ears and with songs I know very well. I only went in there to get my chord mojo repaired (for free) because its shitty battery only lasts for 2 years and they happened to have LCD2-Cs on display. I'll ask him what the fuck is wrong with the headphones next time I'm there.

price tag, that's probably the answer
my experience with LCD-X is that I could recognize it was something different, more detailed and wider than the cloesd shit I have at home... try another LCD maybe

he1000 is shit, only good hifiman is he-6 which can compete with some stax

>Price tag
My Fidelio X2s are 300 dollars at most and the LCD-2Cs are 800 and they're both partially open back headphones so I have no idea what you're talking about.
>try another LCD maybe
I have a pair of HD800S already and I doubt even one of their pricier models like the LCD-3 could compete with it. But the guy said he'll import the LCD-X at some point.

Look like knockoff K240s. Never tried them.

How good are really the HD800S? What other headphones do you own?

> Budget
$500
> Open/Closed
Prefer closed but open is alright
> Previous headphones
Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart(shit build quality/design but good sound)
Fidelio X2
Generally flat, a bit toward the bassier side

Attached: af4.jpg (1200x800, 120K)

kinda wanna get the jubilee
im used to the HD598s
wat 2 expect if I buy

They blow me away even 3 years after I've bought them. Practically everything is revealed when listening to a song along with the quality of your other equipment and the enormous soundstage can make any type of music enjoyable. The general consensus is that they're really flat and cold but to me they're perfect. Definitely worth trying out if you haven't.

If only I had the money. What's your DAC and Amp?

I have a chord mojo dac/amp. It also sounds perfect. It's allegedly better than most 2000 dollar dacs and amps including Chord's own HUGO 2 but like I said, the battery is fucking dead. Wouldn't recommend.

I didn't know the chord mojo was that good. If I want to upgrade from the K712 but I don't want to go above 500, what would you recommend, something like the HD660S or are those a meme?

> Budget
$100
> Open/Closed
Closed
> Previous headphones
shp9500
Warm

Need some new headphones after refunding my 9500s

Attached: 1564908170931.jpg (512x512, 9K)

I'd say just spend 20 more and get the DT770. They go for around 120 where I live. Those are V shaped tho, at least the original ones. Dunno about the PRO.

The HD660S' are a meme simply because of the Massdrop HD line of headphones that sound about as good for a much smaller price. I'm not too familiar with the best price to performance at the 500 dollar price range though. I've heard good things about the Focal Elex but other than that, no idea.
It would be wiser spending 0 dollars and avoiding that piece of shit headphone entirely.

I've heard the dt 770 has ear piercing treble. Is that true? I already couldn't handle the shp9500s

SRS-3100 obviously
It'll break because it's a hifiman and that company has a poor reputation for reliability and design competence.
It depends on who you ask. Some people are lambda/L700 all the way while others esteem the 007 above all others. The mk1 has a problem with the cable relief which was fixed with the second generation.

But is the HD600 line worth it as an improvement over the K712 or should I just save up for the HD800S?
>It would be wiser spending 0 dollars and avoiding that piece of shit headphone entirely.
The DT770? I think they are fine, especially considering there aren't that many closed back headphones.
I owned the non-pro DT770 and the treble is fine. I've taken a quick look at some FR graphs and the SHP9500 seem to have no bass and very fucky treble. The treble's way smoother in the DT770 and they have more bass.

It's all the same. Hopping between dynamics has made no-one happy. Get Stax.

No grain with my kramer modded KSC75s
LOL

Why were the shp9500s praised so much? They measure almost the same as grados except with a bit less treble in 2k and 9k areas. Porta pros/ksc75 measure better imo.

>SRS-3100
How hard is it to get those to seal?

>They measure almost the same as grados except with a bit less treble

This is exactly why I like mine. I have to ramp down the bass and ramp up the treble on my PortaPros to make them listenable to me.

I don't have a set from that series, but it seems to be a trivial blu tack job.

> Budget
$150
> Open/Closed
Open
> Previous headphones
Wireless Beats that I got for free
I listen to a wide variety of stuff. Dunno.

I apologize for being helpless. First time in /hpg/

Favourite:

>JH Audio JH11 customs
Pro's
>Better hi-end than JH16 (also own)
>Isolation is -37dB from ambient (ie. can't hear shit else)
>Interchangeable cables
Con's
>Low not as good as JH16
>Expensive af
>Have to get them replaced every 3 years because your ears grow and they don't fit properly any more

2nd Favourite
>B&W P7
Pro's
>Closest sound to custom IEM's I've found from an over-ear headphone
>Sound amazing
Con's
>Pretty open back so not much isolation
>Cable is a bit short
>Headband can be uncomfortable for long-term wearing

3rd place (new purchase)
>Sony WH1000-XM3
Pro's
>Wireless, Bluetooth 5.0
>Noise cancelling is really good
>DSP from app is useful and works well with EQ etc.
>30 hours battery life, charge from USB-C
>Sound very good OOB although I EQ'ed mine a tiny bit in the app
>Has cable input for passive use from 3.5mm source
>Comfy headband
Con's
>Bluetooth sucks (audio compression etc)
>Isolation sucks without the active noise cancelling
>Noise cancelling has some weird quirks with instantaneous loud noises but minimal
>Mic for Bluetooth calls on phone isn't great and you make a shit ton of noise you can't even hear that goes on to the call if you have the noise cancelling active while on the phone
>Construction on hinges/joints feels a bit fragile but to early to judge yet, might be ok
>Most functions in app are gimicky nonsense that you're never going to use
>Need phone with app to change settings

yeah save another $50 and get a 58X

Should I buy Aune S6 Pro? I have genelec G two and dt 1770. Now I have asus xonar essence stu and it's gonna break soon.

fidelio x2

Topping DX3.
AKG K702.

Hey friends I am having some troubles. I recently bought L700 pads for my L300 and am unable to get them to clip in. I got them from headamp and no where did it say they were made for L700 MK2's so I have no idea why they aren't fitting in.

DT 990 Pro worth the extra 25AUD compared to DT 770 Pro?

It is if you wanna get raped by treble.

I'd rather try something new rather than go back to what I've previously owned

I ordered myself a pair of these today for $80 off Amazon.

Attached: Philips SHP9500.jpg (1000x1335, 125K)

God help you

Please post a picture of the L700 pad rear.

First for SUMMIT FI

Attached: FCACD154-CC57-4C14-950B-93AE5CB6FAA9.jpg (3024x3709, 2.32M)

So user, what’s listening with this?

Attached: 08A05886-DDE0-4A4C-8583-E94BAEBEFCD6.jpg (3556x2666, 1.97M)

ive had the 6xxs for a long time. Its bloody good at most pop and rock songs. Soul and even Jazz is good but the sound stage is limited. You wont be fooled into thinking you are there but its bliss to listen to the full bodied guitar plucks and sax highs. Theres a compromise to the 650s and at its price range, it was the right compromise to make imo.

Enjoying a portable tubed Stax setup, myself.

Attached: CDD50C61-46FE-4677-A406-81FB49FBDD4E.jpg (4032x3024, 2.04M)

Woops wrong pic

Attached: B40491B6-F931-48FE-AC2B-9CFA2E43144B.jpg (3159x2672, 1.56M)

Getting tired of headphones and thinking about picking up these guitarcenter.com/Used/JBL/LSR308-Pair-Powered-Monitor.gc
Yes or no?

Is it me or does nearly every single track in existence have some graininess in it somewhere that sounds like a 2007 youtube video regardless of your setup?

I just got an HE4XX for a hundred USD + shipping, which was still under 300AUD.

Hopefully I didn't fuck up. inb4 someone says I did.

If you're a zoomer then yes, pretty much everything you've ever heard is a lossy format and sucks and will sound shit. Much modern stuff will also sound average unless you seek out the lossless format.
FLAC/WAV other lossless digital is pure, vinyl from any time, memes aside is pretty awesome with the right setup, other formats are likely trash. Problem is if all you've ever heard in your life is MP3, your ears adapt to this as 'normal' and you have a hard time to think anything else sounds 'right'

I sure hope you are trolling

peak retard

90% of shit I listen to is flac

thank you

I'm looking for EARphones I can use for my hour-long trips on shithole buses where the engine is loud as fuck and the bus driver plays shit music. I'm specifically looking for something that has noise cancelling, bluetooth is optional.

> Budget
$120 but allowing up to $220 if really worth it.
> Previous EARphones
Apple Earpods (don't kill me)
No preference. I'm pretty new to this as you can see.

Attached: gS93fpl9_400x400.jpg (293x293, 14K)

H-h-hey guise
Have i told you guise my HD600 is endgame today? Because it sure is endgame for me. No need to spend anyomre! These are all you'll ever need and anyone who says otherwise is just full of shit you know? HD600 FTW! 20 years of development have nothing on me!

Attached: lardass.jpg (535x532, 38K)

i've noticed this, nowadays I exclusively listen to Steely Dan - Gaucho because ot it. Really limits what I can listen to

To those of you who have headphones with a cable that you cannot change, how solid it is?

it's broken

> Budget
$1000
> Open/Closed
Open
> Previous headphones
DT1770, AKGK701, HD600
Haven't really decided. I have liked all sound signatures I have tried at the midrange level.

>have a pair of HD 660S that I treasure
>friend got HD 58X
>
>they sound the same
FUCK
FUCK
WHY DID I SPEND SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY FOR AN IMPERCEPTIBLE DIFFERENCE
FUCK

Attached: 28.png (1059x962, 461K)

I try to persuade people of this all the time:

What's the best replacement for the fucking awful hifiman stock pads?
I'm leaning toward brainwavz angled ones.

What's the cheapest stax you can recommend?

SRS-3100 is the cheapest, but it's more expensive than previous basic combos, meaning second hand systems are 1/3 of the price, or around $200.

Elex bro

Attached: Elex vs 650.png (1098x1178, 387K)

wf-1000mx3

Getting Stax headphones seems to be one of those steps towards eternal inceldom you just don't want to do.

I've compared them to pictures of L700 pad backs online and they seem to be exactly the same

Attached: 20190805_193355-1209x1612.jpg (1209x1612, 740K)

Might as well spend the money on a great speaker system instead of STAX but that's me. Not like I can take electroSTAX with me when I go out or anything, so whatever.

Why do logitech gaming headphones have better FR than flagship audiophile headphones?

Attached: FR.png (1215x735, 62K)

Literally upgraded from the 598cs to the 58x. Plan to get an amp/dac but just plugging them into my speakers there is a NOTICABLE difference. Truly they are the best heaphones you are going to get at that price, on headphones that should be priced more like $200+ I am not dissapointed at all, would recommend

Attached: rapid.jpg (149x112, 5K)

aite cool
i recently got into buying cans off drop so i guess the 58x is next

Don't waste your money.

Goes to show how FR graphs aren't everything.
But even then, this looks like dog trash after 400 Hz.

Audeze is shit. Stay away.

are cassette to aux adapters inherently bad? I've tried two in my car and they both sucked. I don't know if getting a more expensive one will help if it's just bad by design

k e k

he's right though