/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Free as in Freedom edition.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium
/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 300px-Freedognu.png (300x163, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/47d6a7607443ea43dbc4d0f371bf773540a8f8f4
learn.chef.io/modules/try-chef-automate#/demos-and-quickstarts
chef-automate.test/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

hello

Freedo

reposting from last thread
hey gnu/males
i'm trying to create a script so that i can right click, execute script and have it create a folder with the ISO name, quickly mount/unmount the iso and copy the files into said folder (or not mount if i dont have to) but ive gotten stuck at the picking the file name and creating a folder with that name
any help lads, online i could only find info that assumed i knew the name of the file and the location, the point being that i wont if i use the script whenever i want

he's so clean..

Attached: stux.jpg (500x335, 79K)

What tools do you use to be super productive, i.e make your life easier?

Emacs

What is the best

Software that respects your freedoms.

Attached: 1495056602589.png (1366x768, 1.14M)

meanwhile, Torvalds thinks floppy disks are obsolete:
github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/47d6a7607443ea43dbc4d0f371bf773540a8f8f4

hey, how are you doing

Attached: download.jpg (1704x2272, 898K)

11th for proprietary programs and blobs

They are simply dinosaurs in the world of mammals. They can roar and try to reassert their power, but they are doomed anyway.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but what is the ram usage of gqrx raspberry pi version. I have an idea for a project and decided what model to get.

is firefox still number one or chromium finally got better?

It still is, why shouldn't it be.
I would recommend to you IceCat, which is Firefox that respects your user freedoms.

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

Nah no VPN and its also only a problem with FF aparently. qutebrowser works fine.

Install Parabola

Attached: Parabola+Logo+gnu+bola.png (1489x2048, 444K)

Reminder that dual-boot is for faggots

I dual boot the same distro because I can ;)

How many times do I have to sudo apt-get update?

Every tutorial I read starts off with this,

It's up to you user, you're in control of the update process.
It downloads the latest definitions for your package manager. If you run it 2 times in a row the 2nd time it isn't going to do shit because the maintainer hasn't pushed any updates in between the 2 times you've run it.
If you run it 2 times in one day it also (most likely) isn't going to do shit the 2nd time.

>memecat
>bases its tracking blocking technology off of adblock plus aka the money thirsty morons who deliberately whitelisted ads from companies who paid them
>recommended
i recommend you sudo apt go fuck yourself

Using fedora 30
I've set up vagrant with virtual box, and I'm following this guide

learn.chef.io/modules/try-chef-automate#/demos-and-quickstarts

on step two, I can't get Firefox to open up chef-automate.test/
I keep getting an error that it couldn't connect, Anyone know what the issue might be?
I'm using the x11 to send GUI stuff to my personal computer. Not sure if that effects anything

Attached: 1565029114139.jpg (334x363, 88K)

Lies and retardation.

aaa someone knows if installing lubuntu it will increase my laptop battery life??
have been using major distros like mint, debian, or fedora, but it still takes a lot of my battery

Attached: EAlS1sVXYAsd2mZ.jpg (574x477, 46K)

Your moralism is irrelevant as long as the programs in question are licensed under GPL, which means they can be used by anyone for any purpose. It can be developed by the devil himself and it will be fine as long as he contributes back to the digital commons of GPL and stays in the realm of free software. On the other hand, proprietary programs can be developed by saints and still be rotten because of their technical nature. Ethics here is linked directly to a simple technical question, there is no need to beget false moralistic issues.

served
tl;dr lol

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-06 GNUzilla and IceCat - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation.png (936x54, 11K)

why are you posting this false information? icacat removes blobs and spy configs from vanilla ff, what extensions you install is up to you

It most likely won't.
Battery life & linux is really botched still.
Doesn't help that 90% of the time, answers to the issue are nerds going like
>2hrs is enough hurr
>just keep it plugged in durr

battery life depends on how the user configures and uses a computer

Outdated.

>We no longer include SpyBlock, which was IceCat's fork of AdBlockPlus
that allowed to block all third-party requests during "Private Browsing"
mode. Now, we include an extension that blocks all third party requests
by default, and provides a simple interface to whitelist specific
third-party resources on a per-site basis.
Even though they don't state what this block is based on, therefore there's still potential to deal with backdoors I suppose.

Distros doesn't really matter. Just cut down batter draining things. Powertop is a good start for finding them.

and?

look into TLP, if it's not installed by default on those distros

>windows linux dual boot
>win10
>8hr battery life
>ubuntu
>2hr battery life tops
yea its not like this is probably the #1 issue that keeps getting posted on several distro's forums throughout the years with no proper solution yet.

and the first one to yell "tlp" gets my penis on their lips

Distros should die out.
Especially "Linux distros".

Welcome to the GNU/Linux experience.

GOG.com > Steam
Gamers, use GOG when possible.
It provides you directly with an .exe file of a game, and doesn't install a potentially harmful proprietary software client that controls your actions.

Correct. It should be "GNU distros", as they're using GNU software from the GNU project.

After years of dealing with this in several distros, using all kinds of tools, and the battery life still being shit compared to Windows, I simply gave up.
I bank it under the cost of being Windows free, and its fine with me.

>windows user
get out

well shilled you indian piece of shit.

Is that galaxy client for linux out yet?

seemed cool that you can use the chat for all kinds of platforms like steam and battlenet

Why yes, thank your for shilling a site that sells Windows executables. This is certainly better than Steam, which has a native Linux client, many native Linux games, and the ability to run Windows games at almost native speeds without fucking around with wine, from a company that is aggressively pushing Linux.

Fuck off.

I only game on my Nintendo Switch™
The only PC games I need are HoMM3&5

No, distros are an extinct rudiment of corporate thinking straight from the 90's, akin to "companies" which they are not. Distro loyalty resembles corporate loyalty.

notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

That's not the real reasoning through. While GNU/Linux distros indeed ship with GNU software, the system they distribute is the GNU system.

Wildebeest > GNU

Yes it is, it's a step in the right direction at least.

How do I make Dolphin show thumbnails for audio files? This is how it looks currently, I'd prefer if it could apply ''cover.jpg'' image to all FLAC files.

Attached: 1541015966029.png (1523x936, 79K)

Get the fuck outta here with your racist shit.

After you
winfags always with the tox

No, you fuck off, you moronic, self-righteous nuisance who hinders the spread of user freedom ideas.

>fucking around with winetricks instead of clicking a checkbox
>step in the right direction

fuck your anti-DRM demagoguery. game developers gotta eat

>fedora 30
>xfce4-about-4.13.4-21.fc30.x86_64.rpm

So no, they're not using GTK3 in Xfce in Fedora 30

Great, show where I can download a Wildebeest compiler

Does anyone think they're not?

ping -c 1 gnu.org | awk -F '[. ]' '/from/ {print $4}'

is ls bloat?
some of its arguments make commands like sort obsolete

Are you running a toaster from 1952? Why would you worry about ls being bloated? Don't come up with UNIX philosophy.

They're never, not even in 100 years, obsolete. You should always be able to use your old floppy; the data on it may be important.

How much of a meme is Void?
How much of a meme is LibreSSL?

kys

Meanwhile actually useless shit like Microsoft virtualization support bloats Linux as always.

Check the knowyourneme wiki.

>fuck your anti-DRM demagoguery. game developers gotta eat
You like being a slave, ok, just stay away from us.
And speaking of starving developers, they shouldn't cooperate with bloodsucking corporate pricks in the first place. Fuck the developers who are too spineless and too lazy to cooperate on their own terms.

You are literally advocating buying PROPRIETARY PROGRAMS from a company that DOESN'T SUPPORT FREE OPERATING SYSTEMS IN THE SLIGHTEST

you were so concerned about the forest you drove right into a tree.

You can use external floppy readers hooked up with USB, which don't use the orphaned driver. Also note, Linus even says they're keeping it around for now because it's needed for certain emulation. But you can't even buy machines with an internal FDD anymore, can you?

But yes, of course it's obsolete technology.

Suckless sucks more. Retard.

>How much of a meme is Void?
Mostly
it simply pandered at the right time to frustration of a part of anti-systemd crowd that's not intelligent enough to use an actual free/libre system.

I'm advocating using one's brain. Try it sometime.

Systemd is free/libre, why would that be a concern? Are you talking about permissive licensing?

Just installed zsh with ohmyzsh and have been trying out the different themes

a few of them seem to use special characters in the prompt (the -> arrow in Dracula for instance) but these characters aren't showing in the tty outside of X

Is this a font limitation? Or are they just kind of not meant to work outside of a gui terminal emulator? Locale is set correctly

Attached: zsh.png (1658x1398, 367K)

GNU以外にシステムはありません。Linuxはそのカーネルの1つです。

>Is this a font limitation
Yes. Also stop bloating up your PS1 like a fucking n00b.

Most free/libre systems are systemd-free AND free/libre. Void is sytemd-free and is devoid of any free/libre backbone.

Freedo a cutie tho

Attached: freedo.png (227x222, 8K)

FREEDO A THICCY

Not actually using Dracula just trying to understand what's happening

Freedo will make your system squeaky clean.

Attached: gnu-lux.png (500x431, 134K)

Done already.

What's wrong with tlp? I get about four hours with tlp + gnome and closer to seven with tlp + i3 + airplane mode.

yes, the fonts use special characters only available in a patched version of the font, or in the special fonts-powerline font glyphs. generally they dont work in the ttys.

try agnoster, i like it. i remove some of the bloat:

ZSH_THEME="agnoster"
DEFAULT_USER="INSERT_YOUR_USERNAME"
prompt_context(){/code]

Is Fedora eventually going to drop KDE support? I seem to recall Red Hat was trying to push it out.

Good. Also remember that the community always needs your help if you have basic programming, admin or artistic skills, you are welcome to participate.

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1396651720417.jpg (627x632, 38K)

sudo rm -rf /*

alias person='man'
Makes GNU/Linux less sexist

I don't even have /

Attached: Untitled3.png (136x170, 47K)

what do you have then?

Open Source no thanks
I prefer free software.

\

fresh out of bath babby.

let's see your \
ls \

depot
files
mount
programs
system
users

should I use -j4 or -j5 for quad core

Attached: 1563306252459.jpg (711x400, 71K)

St says that it depends on Xlib header files, I have tried installing everything that looks like these in my distro's repository, but to no avail. Where can I find these files?