ruby-like syntax

> ruby-like syntax
> runs as fast as C
> type inference
> statically typed
> native CSP-style concurrency

is there a more chad language than crystal?

Attached: file.png (560x650, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ifpug.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/IYSM.-Thirty-years-of-IFPUG.-Software-Economics-and-Function-Point-Metrics-Capers-Jones.pdf
youtu.be/RuNr092aXIw?t=999
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looks really cool. I remember looking at it a year ago. Is it GC? And is it mature enough to actually use to do things? What sort of practical shit would you say Crystal is best at?

> runs as fast as C
doubt

>Is it GC?
yeah
>And is it mature enough to actually use to do things? What sort of practical shit would you say Crystal is best at?
i haven't used it, just been looking at it and it looks like a very promising up-and-comer
wouldn't use it in production for anything but for contributing or side projects it is probably a nice choice

>google "crystal"
>not on the first page
nah its worthless

Would be good if it had windows support.

Could be good if it was actually feature complete.

I love Ruby, its a beautiful and well designed language, but its deprecated. We have fast languages like Dart and Julia which have static typing and all the features you could want, so there is no reason to be limited with a language like Crystal which is a compile-only scripting language. If Crystal is not a drop-in replacement for Ruby(its not) so it can be used with Rails then its worthless

>is there a more chad language than crystal?
Nim

>ruby-like syntax
On purpose? But why?

Does it have an ADT system?

define "scripting language"
crystal could annihilate python

>mistakenly uses LLVM as backend
>vs
>compiler is not much more than a C++ preprocessor

Meh.

what's wrong with LLVM?

one that doesn't use shitty google font Exo in its logo, jesus fuck

>define "scripting language"
for sake of conversation I would say that any programming language you dont have to manually compile could be termed as a scripting language
>crystal could annihilate python
big fucking deal, Python is the most shitty designed programming language that any scripting language annihilates Python

It's not a good backend for fast compilation.

why? clang and julia seems fast

does it steal memory and not releasing it back to os? if so it is bad

meanwhile countless startups use python but increasingly recognize that dynamic typing is retarded
there is an opportunity for crystal here if they can build the ecosystem up

no, there is no opportunity for Crystal because Dart and Julia are better statically typed scripting languages that dont require compiling

No one gives a fuck about dart

Julia is DOA and Dart is another google crap that will be abandoned in a couple of years

> runs as fast as C
Can we kill this meme? just because it compiles to c doesn't mean it's as fast as normal c code. It still has a garbage collector.

rust, for one

said the compiled Ruby shill
>these new languages are DOA, everyone loves Java, PHP, C++ and whatever cubicle drone language you can think of

>Ruby, its a beautiful and well designed language, but its deprecated
>Ruby
>deprecated
the fucking state of Jow Forums

guessing that subtitle is a lie

Nim

not a contradiction, it was a great language for its time, its now deprecated

Julia tried to fill a niche that was covered by python, it came 4-5 years too late to compete

What is faster, provides as good or nearly as good optimizations, and supports the same targets?

Python is a shit language, its only good quality is that its easy to pick up for noobs. Smart people use smart languages, I dont care if Python has idiot market share, people who stick with Python are limiting their career potential and Im fine with that

Python is a fine glue language, and is perfectly suited to simple tasks and scripts that don't need a ton of performance or anything else.
If you're going to shit on a programming language, you have to actually say what is wrong with it.

>> ruby-like syntax
this is enough to keep me away from it. OOP is poison.

>If you're going to shit on a programming language, you have to actually say what is wrong with it.
fine, its using virtual environments for package management is an absolute joke, it has gimped FP, the built-in underscore functions are shitty and inconsistent, shitty OO

I dont usually dont bother talking about how shitty Python is because idiots are going to keep using it, no matter how many times I show people how bad it is they will just use it because everyone else uses it

retard

> virtual environments for package management is an absolute joke
Yep.

> it has gimped FP
It's not that bad. I'm assuming you're referring to the lambda situation. Using named local closures as a replacement for a multi-line lambda is annoying at worst, and doesn't "gimp" FP. There are languages with far worse FP situations, like Java with its bullshit checked exception setup not even interacting with lambdas correctly.

> the built-in underscore functions are shitty and inconsistent
What "built-in" underscore functions? You mean the double-underscore meta-methods? It's stupid, but it's better than a lot of others, despite being worse than many.

> shitty OO
In what way?

Python isn't perfect and it has issues, but it's far better than other languages in the same arena like Ruby with its bullshit "every import works in the same global scope and will gladly stomp on each other", "import order can easily change semantics".

If you're in the arena of needing a batteries-included interpreted language for quick development and/or gluing together libraries with easy access to C, Python is one of the better choices. What would you recommend, since you appear to be aware of a language that does everything Python is supposed to do better?

>What would you recommend, since you appear to be aware of a language that does everything Python is supposed to do better?
crystal

>What would you recommend, since you appear to be aware of a language that does everything Python is supposed to do better?
I already said Dart and Julia. Dart if you need class based OO and Julia for data processing and devops

>Julia for data processing and devops
>devops
what?

Python's only strong point is that it is a strong lang for prototyping. Anything beyond that and you're better off using a better lang like Julia or Smalltalk

Julia has a cultish adoption higher level stem, despite it being a gpl. Maybe python has a leg up in terms of startup, but heavy computational work is Julia's expertise esepcially with directed typing

>Smalltalk
ok grandpa

You only need a few hundred lines of python code for anything related to data science. It's not slow either, the heavy computational part are just C libraries. There's no comptetition python is king in the niche Julia is trying to take.

>google "crystal programming language"
>first result
Learn to use a goddamn search engine, retard.

I love Ruby, but Rails is shit. Also, there's nothing wrong with it being a compile-only language.

>There's no comptetition python is king in the niche

Attached: 7zKAG5sY.jpg (512x512, 40K)

I was referring more to the modern variants like Squeak and Pharo you fucktard. Also, how about you learn an actually OOP and not some faux-trash C++

Python if you can, C if you must.

it's almost like high-level languages were created to provide intuitive abstractions for laypeople to make useful tools quickly instead of literally reinventing the wheel

"smart people using smart languages" makes you sound like you're first one in and last one out of the short bus. go actually kys

The only person that uses dart is that tranny that maintains SASS. Are you the sasstranny?

>Pharo
1 + 2 * 10
>>> 30

It's actually faster than C in a bunch of things.
It doesn't compile to C.

>is there a more chad language than crystal?
elixir

You should get to the point where you run your programs more often than you need to compile it. A simpler language should help with that. Write once, run many.

no, it wouldnt

HIPSTER
I
P
S
T
E
R

Boy am I refreshed from my boomer nap. First off, you faggots should do some research before barking up more junk.
>It's no slow either blah blah
According to Namcook Analytics in 2017, Smalltalk is considered the most productive language to use, being about 2.5x faster than python. Quit being a brainlet: ifpug.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/IYSM.-Thirty-years-of-IFPUG.-Software-Economics-and-Function-Point-Metrics-Capers-Jones.pdf .

And? This only shows just how simple and approachable the syntax of Smalltalk is. You can type while having half a brain cell.

Keep barking you guys. Smalltalk is the Nikola Tesla of OOP.

> And? This only shows just how simple and approachable the syntax of Smalltalk is. You can type while having half a brain cell.
Yes but for us having a full brain it's deceiving that the language goes against the mathematicale convention studied for at least 20 years

> Smalltalk is the Nikola Tesla of OOP.

Overrated and dead?

Nim is king

Attached: nim.png (300x205, 8K)

>nim
>crystal
>v
>zip
What's with all these shitty memelangs cropping up that have no actual use cases compared to existing ones? Is this just a bunch of hipsters trying to make themselves look unique?

>type inference
Why would you list this like it's a positive?

R is better for data science.

People get angry with languages they use, they learn how it's bad, how to implement fixes, then they just make a new language out of it. Probably mostly for themselves but why not release it if you have it? Look at Jai for instance.
youtu.be/RuNr092aXIw?t=999

Why would it be a negative? It removes unnecessary verbosity from the language while otherwise keeping the benefits of static typing.

>literally who
>2.5 times faster than python is somehow impressive

>Another onions language being touted as chad
learn FORTRAN

I think you're being overly anal with the specifics. Like, on autistic levels. The standard orders of operations can similarly followed in languages like Smalltalk with the use of parentheses, which are already implied in our conventions.

Also, you completely glossed over user's point about what I see to be Smalltalk's strong point, which is its superior productivity.