Why is Telstra so expensive in Australia?

Why is Telstra so expensive in Australia?

Attached: telstra-shop.jpg (810x528, 88K)

Same reason why they're easily the worst in Australia.

For me its cheaper than any of their "cheaper" third parties, or any third parties, but whatever, long time customer and all.

Big brand recognition, and people not realising there are better deals out there.
t. 6 month pre-paid plan with Boost on Telstra network. 100AUD for 6 months, 60GB, free calls txt + some free int calls.

>he didnt cheese the system and get 60gb of data nd unlimited for $3.33/m or go even further to get -$7.66 a month

They can abuse their monopoly position in 80% of the country where other carriers don't get coverage.

i thought optusnet was 96percent? That said if you use telstra for vdsl in current year youre a pleb. aussiebroadband ftw

Care to share your tricks?

jb hifivhad a deal where signing up to the $65/m plan scored you a $500 gift card. After signing up you could immediately get $20 off each bill because of a new port in bonus stacked with a different bonus. For me though i just switched to the 45/m 50gb plan. then on the 45plan some people got the $10 new customer bonus. Im not that jewish so i stopped at $3.33/m.

Telstra own all the lines, so you would assume you would get the best service? My grandparents are on Telstra and have solid 48mbps all day long with 1k packets to google dns being exactly 25ms.
I use Boost as well, killer of a service. $150 for a year, 80gb data unlimited calls etc. Works out to $12.50 a month, 6.5gb Data a month. Better than TPG which was $20 a month for unlimited calls + 4GB data.

>tfw still no NBN
At least Telstra is stable, no over provider can offer me a stable connection. I've been running this shit alongside 4G for 7 years now, at least 4G is stable enough for gaming.

Attached: telstrascammers.png (725x268, 27K)

Aren't they the only ones with coverage outside major metropolitan areas?
Say if you were out in the middle of nowhere, aren't they the only choice?
Won't matter to most people, but if you continually travel out of the major cities and into the countryside those cheapo whoeverthefuck sims you buy from vendors in chinatown aren't going to cut it, or so I had been lead to believe.
Last time I was in Australia I had to attend a wedding up in the Dandenong mountains and there was fuck all coverage on an optus sim I bought at a 7/11. Telstra still worked from what I heard from others.

Telstra used to be owned by thr government and a monopoly in telecoms. They sold off half of it and nobody can compete with them because they are too solidified in backhaul and vital telecommunications infrastructure in australia.

NBN was supposed to fix that but the liberals came in again and fucked that for their butt buddies.

Yeah. If youve left a capital city you understand why Vodafone is a fucking joke and optus you get what you pay for.
Vodafone dont have a shop in my town, instead of improving service here they just packed up and fucked off lol.

>NBN was supposed to fix that

Attached: 1544754597643.jpg (210x202, 36K)

feels bad man. this is the 4g a few mins from my house (tested on the bus). peaked at over 100. yet inner city rarwly goes above 40 and my home nbn in 45/15. fuck the liberal gov for not rolling ut full fiber

Attached: Screenshot_20190807-174818.jpg (1536x425, 125K)

I had 80 fucking down, and now I have 40 down and 40 up, I've never been so angry at anything in my entire life and there's nothing that can be done about it.
Fuck NBN, fuck Australia and fuck Telstra.

monopoly

We will never know how good it could have been because GPON was scrapped in so many places. Whats left of the NBN is now not worth even the price NBN paid for the old copper, something they never would have done in the original plan.

I went from actual 100/40 greenfields GPON, to 88/35 VDSL2 and now i live in a house so far from a vdsl node i get 8/1. The MTM switch is a fucking sick joke and whoever sabotaged it should hang.

Australia will get 100mbps internet when every other country will have 1gb down and up
Also, fuck shilling and fuck every nigger talking about Boost here, every provider sucks dicks in this country , nobody here is "getting a good deal"

Attached: _107875191_claverhamimage.jpg (624x351, 35K)

1975, Telecom Australia ran domestic telecommunication services as a government contract.

Renamed to Telstra Corporation Limited in 1993.

2007 - Present, The Australian Government purchesd the telecommunication services from Telstra and made it public infastructure - (NBN co)
And are upgrading internet infastructure by using the pay tv coaxial network (FOXTEL, 50% stake in Telstra) and existing Telstra infasteructure.

Telstra is now positioning it self to purchase NBN co.

They have a monopoly that they lobbied for so they can charge what ever they want.

Privitisation.

>tfw Telstra didn't keep pushing their luck taking the government to court and get their entire monopoly confiscated for nothing except a gun in their face
Feels bad man

Can someone give me a run down on the NBN?

Damn, this is my 4G. Telstra not much better.

Attached: yyy.png (794x299, 29K)

>telstra owns the lines and is monopoly
>labor government proposes "NBN plan, rollout of fibre to all australians, paid for by australians
>project under way
>2013 (or 14?) elections hit, liberals win
>cut costs / corners to Fibre to the Node
>claims nobody needs more than 25mbps (meanwhile that exact person has a tax payer-funded fibre line to house personal home).
>2014-2016 shotty installations
>not enough bandwidth to go around
>ISP's not buying enough bandwidth due to high cost
>end user getting slow connections or even drop outs
>2017 finally recognize it's shit
>continually rolling out until present.
>meanwhile kenya has faster internet on average
>rest of the world upgrading from 100mbps to 1gbps while australia still upgrading to 25-50mbps
Arguably the largest infrastructure project in the countries history and they cut corners mid-way and pay $70 billion dollars for a network barely with $5 billion dollars. Yes, labourer costs are high, along with needing to landscape people's homes etc. but it was something we were willing to pay for.
It's not Fibre to the "node", and then the existing copper to your house. If you're in an old neighbourhood, you're likely fucked.
This country is backwards.

Meanwhile here in NZ they just did it properly and now I can get gigabutt internet to my home.
Fibre is 100 year infrastructure when done properly and to upgrade the network once the cables have already been laid is easier, since only the nodes at each end need upgrading. When we start going 1G+, we will be fine over here.

It is going to bet worse and worse for you aussies as time goes on, because the network got massively gimped by keeping part of it copper. There will be no further upgrade path on that multi billion dollar infrastructure without digging up lines AGAIN. How did the libs convince people that flushing money down the toilet contentiously for sub-standard shit was better than a one time roll-out cost for sound foundational infrastructure? because thanks to that, you're fucked.

I was in Australia t the time this fuckery was going on but since it was a temporary stay I didn't really give a fuck at to the details of the whole nbn bullfuckery.

I vaguely remember that the labor govt that proposed it in the first place went waaay over budget and was slated to sink even more money before the election three them out. Or maybe I'm thinking about tut Victorian myki system? Whatever, something something labor paying too much for junk and then getting booted and then replaced by the liberals that kowtow to various corporate interests (as do labor, all said and done) and scrapping the nbn and now you're stuck with this bullshit.

Is this about right? Did labor just handle the whole thing so inefficiently that it totally worked against them come election time?

It's more along the lines of
>labor start it, say it'll cost around ~41 billion
>liberals dispute that, they say it'll be ~70 billion, and malcolm also tells tony there's a cheaper way to do it
>liberals get in, and instead of keeping a uniform technology they start using all different methods in different places for fuck knows reason
>liberals then estimate it'll cost ~51 billion
Got neutered, plain and simple by the same politicians that brought in the metadata retention law and the encryption bill