Server posters I need some help...

Server posters I need some help. I've an interest in the field of server admin in businesses but I dont know where to start on educating myself for it. Can any helpful user guide me on my journey to gain the knowledge I need to work in a server room? I don't have any experience working with them but I'm willing to learn. Ask any questions that'll help you help me.

Attached: server-admin-300x166.jpg (300x166, 19K)

I just bought my own server and tinkered with it, expanded my network and such

Is this an option? I wouldn't even know where to get started or what I'd even need to buy

>I don't know anything about this job but I want it.
You don't want any of this, believe me.

buy a few raspberries, set up a local network and ask Jow Forums for more help

I want to give it a go.
Would this give me the experience I need to manage servers say, in an office?

OP here, I've made a kik account to talk about this subject if anyone knowledgeable is willing to talk to me about it.
username is chilidishes

>I've an interest in the field of server admin in businesses but I dont know where to start
just get free used computers
use them to test things like windows, linux,pfsense.

What would I do with them? Just setup a home server and experiment with everything?

fuck off, we're full.

:^)

Rasp-Pi, VPS or even a PC lying around. Install something like Ubuntu Server and then mess around with it.

I have a laptop I dont really use, is that a good option to install ubuntu server and piss around with? It's a t420.

You wont get in that way unless you join a startup company. The reason is that companies want to see some kind of qualifications before they let you near their valuable data. Its not a job that they trust just anyone with. You could just write to companies and ask them if you can speak to their personnel/HR department about your situation and ask them if they will take you on as a trainee.
If you work for a company that does the server administration for other companies then liability insurers want you to have qualifications otherwise they wont insure you against any losses other companies experience if you fuck up

Useful information! Thanks I'll work on emailing companies. And I suppose work on setting up a home server and tinkering to give my self experience.

Virtual Machines, my friend.
>Set up one server, and one guest Windows 10/*nux client.
>Set up DHCP, DNS and Active Directory (or FreeIPA)
>Connect them

I think that will be enough for today

Will I need strong systems to run virtual machines? Or can I do this with free machines on craiglist

you keep focusing on that term 'home server'
a server isn't a thing. its's a role. something that it does.

anyway, you should try setting up a linux server for files, printers, ssh.

for windows you should setup a domain, file sharing, printer sharing.

for pfsense you should setup mulitple netowrks, intranetwork routing, VPN, monitoring.

do all those things and you'll have learned even more about what you should look into.
Also check sysadmin job postings to learn things that are in demand

>Will I need strong systems to run virtual machines?
i usually make my base VMs with 2 virtual cores/threads and 2GB of RAM.
I'll then clone those for the specific roles and increase resources as needed

Spin up some VMs (ESXi and HyperV are industry standards for hosting, I'd start with one of those), and practice building a mock network
>make a domain controller, and a few clients
>make a second one and practice replication
>another vm as file server with a few shares, create some domain users and practice mapping shares to users via GPO
>make a print server for a printer you have laying around
>practice with DNS and DHCP both in the domain controllers and in a separate server
>WDS
>Exchange
>LAN monitoring
And most importantly practice backup and disaster recovery (Veeam is a popular tool in this regard). Also as you go try to find some other roles you think are useful, and try implementing them.

I do it on a Thinkpad T420 I got for 150€ some time ago. For simple VMing you'll run out of ram and storage well before cpu. Also be careful on what hardware it has, ESXi for instance requires that the network controller is either Intel or Broadcom, it won't even install if you have neither of those.

Great, these things sound like good ideas to teach myself how shit works and how to manage.

Is there a recommended area on how to learn to actually setup these things or is just google/youtube enough?

been in 4 years now

all i do is install os on a VM and the devs does all the hardwork
sometimes i do reverse proxy load balancing(ALOT OF CONFIG READING) and A LOT OF FUCKING READING MANUALS TO SETUP CLUSTER SHIT ON SOME PROPRIETARY FUCK

Personally I do mostly googling and grabbing scanned book pdfs on the subject. There was one online repository I used for it, but afaik it went down. If I was you I'd start with domain controllers, "Learn Active Directory in a Month of Lunches" for instance was pretty good for me to get hands on quickly. From there I'd go and find whatever else I need.

Sounds pretty cushty.
I'll note that down and have a look.

Yeah, you do that. It doesn't go too in depth, so I think it's a great starter book.