Why are so many people falling for the "you need a VPN when torrenting" meme?

Pic related. Lots of fags want a VPN even when they can't afford it. Why do so many people fall for this meme?

Don't people know about private torrents, private usenet, private DDL?

Attached: vor8u7k4eze31.png (1428x996, 633K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

right now big money is trying to get people to pay subscriptions, everybody is dipping their feet into it because it's so lucrative
vpns are just another product for that

Nothing you just listed is actually private (including VPNs).

>it's that easy to be part of private tracker sekritclub
>everything is on usenet/DDL
idiot
this also

My ISP sent me an infringement notice, barely use torrents but needed something I couldn't find elsewhere. I got the notice and am now using IRC for the first time in almost 20 years to download. Also have a usenet account but I find it shit

>i can afford high speed internet and huge drives for my stash but not a vpn

We're not in the days of what.cd anymore, and I'd rather pay $3/mo than deal with secret club autism which would require me to spend money hoarding shit to contribute anyways.

>even when they can't afford it
How poor do you have to be to not be able to afford a VPN?

I'm more surprised by this idea that people think a VPN actually protects your privacy. Why do people think that a VPN wouldn't give up your data in the exact same manner a normal ISP would? If anything, glowniggers are more keen to snoop around in a VPN provider's data because those are all the people specifically looking to not be found.

Plus it's dumb to use a VPN for torrents because you're never ever going to get in trouble for pirating anyway. Oh no, you sometimes get notices from the ISP. Who gives a shit.

The only valid use for a VPN is to change your geolocation so you can access content blocked in your country

Only those who live in the land of the free are afraid to publicly torrent

>My ISP sent me an infringement notice
Thank God this never happens in my country, I can torrent whatever I want and nobody cares.

>can't afford a VPN subscription

Attached: 1564301253454.png (1600x1090, 889K)

I don't live in a shit state so I pirate from public trackers without a VPN constantly and the most I get is letters from my ISP which I promptly bin.
Imagine living in a corporatist hellhole where ISPs can do anything at all to stop you from pirating.

why are private trackers so shit nowadays? It used to be that you could just ask anywhere for an invite and it wouldn't be a problem. Now there are no invites and you need to do some autistic INTERVIEW bullshit and get a goddamn background check. Yeah, no.

Imagine living in a country in which a corporation can sue you into bankruptcy for pirating

Attached: Smile.jpg (600x600, 94K)

You don't need one but it's great for making sure you won't get caught

It's alwasy been this way lol. However private trackers are a complete waste of time nowadays.

I know, I couldn't imagine that.
Thankfully I live in New England, which isn't run by corporatist shitsmears, and as such don't have to worry about that.

Nah, it didn't used to be like this, mayne. I never had to do any fucking interview processes back in the day. AFAIK it's only within the past 5 years or so that they've totally locked down and closed off invites.

no, interviews were common even 15 years ago. oink had interviews.

What.cd was the only interview I took and all the other trackers got in from the invite forums.

>why are private trackers so shit nowadays?
because you can't get in? haha.

>However private trackers are a complete waste of time nowadays.
confirmed as having 0 private tracker accounts
it's locked down now because of retards like you who wanted to invite everybody including the MPAA

What if...

What if we pointed our DNS to 1.1.1.1 & used that while downloading torrents?

It doesn't protect your privacy, they just prevent your ISP from seeing that you torrent while not giving a shit themselves

never though about this

this should work

>Preventing your ISP from seeing that you torrent while not giving a shit themselves
>Not protecting your privacy
Way to contradict yourself

do you know what dns is

Yeah, instead of one ISP seeing it, it's just another ISP.
And like I already said, hiding your torrenting from an ISP is pointless anyway. They don't give a shit, they're just required to send the letters by the publishers who catch you, and nothing will happen anyway.

He's wrong though. There's absolutely no proof that VPN services don't hand over your data to anyone.

Using a VPN while torrenting isn't to protect you from legal problems. It can of course but its mostly to prevent random people from connecting directly to your computer and potentially getting into your system.

That's not how it works, user, but close. Your traffic is routed through your ISP before it reaches your VPN, and vice-versa. There is literally no way to keep your ISP from knowing you are torrenting. They may not know exactly WHAT you are torrenting, but that's it.

ISPs in my country do give a shit, sadly. Didn't used to be that way but it is now.

Do you? Because I don't see you explaining it.

What country? I thought burgerland was the country that sucked corporate cock the most, and even here nobody cares about piracy.

>Why do people think that a VPN wouldn't give up your data in the exact same manner a normal ISP would?
Because they don't have it.
>buy a FeralHosting slot with BTC
>set up your slot as a VPN server
>use it
What data are they gonna give?
>inb4 your browsing habits
If you're browsing anything that requires a login, you're an idiot in the first place.
> Your traffic is routed through your ISP before it reaches your VPN, and vice-versa. There is literally no way to keep your ISP from knowing you are torrenting.
You know full well that it's wrapped and they can't see it. Pretending to be retarded doesn't make you cool, it just means that your time is worthless.

I just use VPN to torrent because without it I get throttled. inb4 change ISPs

I pirate all day and never even get a letter, one of the benefits of living in the third world.

All the countries that have signed US trade deals are fucked. Every NATO nation & the so called 5 Eyes nations.

Canada. Used to be a complete non issue, but our regulators cucked and gave ISPs permission to directly charge users for pirated media.

Hasn't happened yet but I'm not taking any fucking chances.

I bet you also got your degree in CS at DURGASOFT.

user, VPN connections aren’t in the clear. Your traffic is encrypted between you and the VPN. Your ISP will just see a stream of scrambled bits being sent/received to/from some random country, and they can’t do jack shit because AES.

Deep packet inspection can be used to identify that you're probably torrenting but for all they know you're torrenting Linux ISOs.

>thank god i live in the 3rd world so i can save 40 usd a year on a vpn

Can confirm.

tfw I was sent a C&D for torrenting the Imitation Game; the copyright holders demanded I pay $270 to them. Needless to say that Canadian law also grants consumers the right to refuse to pay copyright holders their self-declared fines, without risk of getting charged for copyright infringement.

Anyone use VPN Gate? Freely available VPN servers from an academic experiment.

Attached: top.jpg (740x274, 233K)

Thing is, without VPN you get fucked in the ass really hard, ISPs can negate your contract and leave you without internet completely (and even blacklist you to not give you any services), and you can also get big fines to pay for piracy. That's how things work in countries like Austria and Germany. Friend of mine was stupid enough and torrented a movie without a VPN in Germany and few days later got 2000 euros fine for piracy.

I always laugh at people who think piracy is a big deal in the US, my fucking employer was still using pirated versions of Anyconnect.

fucking hell, I had no idea other countries had it so bad. I thought the fearmongering about getting in trouble over pirating stuff was just empty threats everywhere.

I'm glad I live in France a country in which the office in charge of fighting against piracy is a subject of mockery.
They only care about P2P.
They managed to get about 100 people fined for an average of 300€ in 10 FUCKING YEARS.

Attached: Smile2.jpg (362x310, 48K)

>40 usd
That's like a month of salary for me.

This, and if they can’t prove you’re pirating copyrighted stuff, they can’t arrest you for it or send you gay warning letters

t. neet who never had to deal with a boomer landlord getting copyright notice letters

What, do ISPs really see all the urls I visit?

>glowniggers
>specifically looking to not be found
>it's dumb to use a VPN for torrents
It's practically the only use of a single, simple, clearnet VPN, besides service-side privacy. It is almost trivial for an adversary like an intelligence agency to identify you through a proxy if they're willing to spend some resources on it, especially if your ISP has logs and/or if your VPN provider is within their sphere of influence.

How this would do anything? You use DNS to get ip of a website. You do not download anything else from DNS...

If your ISP is your DNS, they see all the domains you resolve to IPs. If you directly visit an IP, your ISP sees the communication to that IP. So, yes, of course.

What the fuck kind of setup do you have where you get internet from your landlord rather than having your own arrangement with the ISP?

Attached: mcgregor come on.jpg (744x752, 42K)

nu-Jow Forums, everyone

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yes and they see part of them even when using HTTPS.
As an example if you're on >> they see boards.4channel.org

I don't understand why anybody bothers to pirate over VPN. All of my private trackers ban that to use the site, I can't be arsed to VPN up just to torrent.

How can I make my own ISP to avoid this?

A good thing of living in a third world country is that everyone is so focused on other issues like getting food or not being shot in your way to work no one gives a shit about downloading torrents, while eurocucks keep doing legal shit in order to kill the fun to the point they led the admin of the old Nyaa site to shit himself and shut down the site. Because that’s apparently more important than fighting terrorism and low wages.

*if you're on https :// boards . 4channel . org

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network

i use private trackers and dont need a vpn. been on private trackers since oink and have never had one problem

Well damn, guess I'll just use some of my BTC for a VPN.

lol use internet cafes paco. I use my university gigabit connection

I don't, because thank god I don't live in burgerland, but it's pretty common INA lot of burger states when renting a room or a flat.

I don't think they really care that you're browsing e621

A VPN doesn't necessarily change your DNS server. There's no security without education. Learn how things work before you try doing anything.

Got once visit from FBI. Am i bad boy now?

Don't spoonfeed the retard, he has no place on Jow Forums if he doesn't even know how the internet works

I am a burger and I've literally never heard of this. Only time internet gets included is when we're talking about on-campus housing at a university, or something like that.

Are there any other ways to be a bit more anonymous online? since VPNs are now considered worse than no VPN, Tor is owned by the FBI, what else is there?

I just use dnsproxy

One where all bills and rent are included for a flat monthly fee, like £400. But I was very cool with my landlord, and when I asked him to upgrade the internet to 200mbit he did it.

I think the tor thing is just FUD. I don't doubt they probably have their fingers in many nodes, but I don't think it's like every single exit node is controlled by glowniggers.

Also everything is a matter of degree. Even if you can't protect your privacy against literally everything, there are still many steps you can take.

But the ideal scenario would probably be libreboot core2duo computer running a security-minded linux distro and doing everything through tor and never logging into anything online or any of that stuff.

As an Austrian that is not at all how it works. We have the right to keep a "Sicherheitskopie" for private use so as long as you're not distributing shit, you're fine.

Pretty much all my friends that had to settle for cheaper apartments have a setup like that in burgerland. Especially if you're only renting a room as opposed to the whole apt.

is this not accurate?

Attached: 2019-08-08-024359_769x153_scrot.png (769x153, 11K)

This, but my country is ahead of the US in every chart, specially work, education and QoL.
Feels good.

Technically yes, but we just say backup for backup really. Sicherheitskopie or Privatkopie (safety/private copy) in Austria is legal based on a law about recording songs off the radio with a built-in cassette player, that's also why we have an extra tax on all sorts of physical drives (Festplattenabgabe) that's supposedly being redirected towards artists, or at least towards supporting the arts.

>He doesn't know how torrents and other web based connections work
>He types like a Harmanveer

idk about german, but a "backup" (incl. "safety copy", which means the same thing in this context) means a copy of an original, that is, it implies you already own an original of that thing
downloading something you don't own/have a license for is not considered a backup/safety copy, but just a copy, an unlicenced copy (a more formal term for "pirated copy")

when i say "including safety copy", i did mean to also exclude "private copy", which holds a different meaning
a "private copy" simply implies a copy which you don't share with others, which may or may not be licensed

Imagine actually thinking private trackers keep monitoring companies out.

>tfw live in 3rd world shit hole
>no one cares you download some degenerate chink cartoons

Basically, downloading is legal in most of the EU as long as you don't share or play it in the public/sell for profit. So all the DDL sites/p2p networks that don't need you to share files are perfectly legal. This also includes recordings of songs off the radio or recordings of public performances.

right
well even in places where it's supposedly not legal to download copyrighted stuff, most of the time, people only actually get in trouble if they share things (seed/provide downloads to/etc)

i currently live in australia, and i have gotten warnings in the past from seeding things, but since then i've gotten a VPS for seeding, and only torrent things with my upload disabled, and have not gotten any warnings since, despite now having faster internet and downloading much, much more than i used to

actually, they do. do you even know how they monitor the torrents? they have to be in the swarm to grab IP's. they don't bother to go trough the process of getting an invite just to monitor a thousand (at most) people torrenting something when they can get hundreds of thousands if not millions from TPB.

>Imagine actually thinking private trackers keep monitoring companies out.
but they do

ton of YT channels are sponsor by VPN's

> they have to be in the swarm to grab IP's

No shit. Nothing stops them from getting an invite lmao the fuck you on about clown

>he knows this
>>>/ec/

it's the same in Germany OP is just retarded
>few days later got 2000 euros fine for piracy
imagine being scared of what law firms say

I torrent an absurd amount on private trackers and I seed 24/7. Literally have never received a letter. I don't believe it is actually a thing. Just falseflags by usenetfags.

Fwiw, all universities in my country have torrents strictly forbidden. They don't care what you are actually torrenting, it may be a Linux iso, they will permanently revoke your internet access, and since you're on a campus, no other company has any infrastructure there, so you would be stuck with LTE. That's another reason for torrentkng with a VPN on.

I have been torrenting 24/7 for years and I've never received a letter. Maybe it's because I mostly download anime and older music/movies. I get the feeling that downloads of new releases are more closely watched.

Attached: decade.png (379x356, 67K)

>have to seed or get banned
>beg like a pathetic faggot to get in
>"NOOOO MR MODERATOR PLEASE DON'T BAN ME YOU CAN FUCK MY WIFE JUST DON'T BAN ME PLEASE"
Imagine unironically using private trackers. I get 500Mbps out of my VPN for 7bux a month and torrenting is just one of the many applications.

Even normal torrenting is superior to private shit.

Attached: 1559983637945.png (592x492, 60K)

>private trackers
Well there is your answer.