General career thread

I graduated highschool and I don't know what I wanna do with computers or what certification I should get for my career. What does Jow Forums do for a career and what certs do you have?

Attached: 3kagwots1i811.png (800x600, 53K)

go to compsci
learn java
install gentoo

just leetcode for 8 hours a day

>I graduated highschool
sorry, your already too old.

>certs
lmao

Is this true or just a meme, Jow Forums?

Meme. If you have skills you'll find work.

Yeah, work on the railroad

jus graduated uni a week ago (summer autist bc I failed a class)
interview for QA Analyst.
sperg out about video games during interview.
got offer.
no certs unless you count the degree.
only 40k but that's above avg for my uni's grads.
live in parents basement unironically.

I sort of help building databases to replace the previous system based on Excel spreadsheets and sticky notes on the doors.
Basically half my job is writing emails and the other is writing 20 lines of python a day to automate file conversion while running around the office to pretend I'm busy.

Got an Msc in some other STEM field, couldn't find a job so I do this to stay employed.

>I don't know what I wanna do with computers
Then find out what you like about computer science then you dumb fuck. Try a little of everything. Create your own networks, create some software, make your own website, break in to a piece of software, fix something broken, make your own electronics etc. Find something in computer science you like and stick to it.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

Railroad... Jesus why are you talking about that kind of money? He just graduated High School. You want him to make 50 - 70K right off the bat like that?

Unironically. You're lucky. Remember that.

That's actually not bad advice. And only further reaffirms that I want nothing to do with Networking or Server Environments. I don't know why it seems I'm allergic to making money any more.

Attached: 50100568_804541899900522_1013708248605261824_n.png (757x567, 275K)

Pretty soon that,

>Fixing Something Broken

,isn't going to be much of a career path anymore. It's already starting to run past the Disposable Computer Era and into the This System has an Expiration Date Period.

In around ten years even the most expensive computers won't be able to be fixed by what you would consider skilled computer technicians.

Attached: 1561740882513.jpg (490x729, 45K)

I am a welder and make 500k year.

>Certs
I work as Network IT and certs are fucking useless now. It's better to learn shit that have an outdated A++ or Cisco Cert that won't help you int 90% of eviroments

Become a tranny and major in reverse racism

Right now I'm an IBEW electrician. Pretty easy to get into an apprenticeship ATM because construction is booming hard (at least in my area - hiring books are a walk-thru and contractors are getting desperate).

I'm planning on jumping careers into IT. I've worked with Ethernet and fiber cable already and I know some scripting langs, and the pay cut would be worth not having to be a construction worker anymore. Studying for the A+ atm - will probably get Net+ and sec+ after and go from there.

freelancing?

Most of the time if you are pretty good at something you can easily get a job in something related, also pretty sure there will always be someone with a broken laptop in the world

How do I get a Help desk job with no experience?

1 - Buy servers from Novogara and Host Sailor.
2 - Become official reseller
3 - Hire shady lawyer to create tax evasion anonymous shell company in Belize.
4 - Change whois on IPs to your own super cool shell company.
5 - Carefully ignore abuse emails.
6 - Sell servers for bitcoin to scammers and botnet fags.
7 - ???
8 - PROFIT!
9 - Get arrested.

>failing classes

Offer to pay your parents like $200 in rent a month so they aren't as motivated to get you to move out. Save up as much as you can and begin investing in some solid mutual funds. Do NOT buy into the real estate meme. You got lucky, bro - now run with it!

work at faang and want to kill myself everyday
this

user, right off the bat I need to know why you think you want to do this. Hobbyist tech enthusiasts and freelance tech support or programmers always feel like they would thrive in a professional environment. That's because they haven't experienced the assbleeding dullness and frustration.

I worked as a network administrator for a school district, which was fucking terrible. The IT department, despite being the only reason the school was relevant anymore (thanks to their switch from paper to computers), was constantly shunted and shortlisted when it came to budgeting and geniality. We got moved six times within a year, to smaller and smaller rooms. Our equipment was sold over the summer because they didn't know shit, and the money they got from the sale went into new furniture for the classrooms. Principal didn't know what she was doing, so she constantly pushed for smaller devices and still expected the same performance. I quit when she complained about the student essays being affected because of the switch from laptops to iPads.

Second job was a programming gig at some no name company, which was the only thing that would hire me with my bachelors degree around here (other shit required six years of experience and up). There is something to be said about the people, but it's the code reviewing process that fucking killed me. Reviews only came after the chunks went through the wringer, with six people working on each others code at a time. If something was wrong with the code, they blamed the originator rather than the adjusters. Ended up getting fired because some retard deleted six lines of code and it was apparently my fault for writing the original shit.

Last job I had in this area was a programming job at a fairly decent company. Worked making modifications to code for medical equipment. Lots of fun, but half the time you're doing shit for nothing. Half of it never gets used, the rest gets rejected. The changes never get pushed.

Make 100k/year delivering boxes for UPS

>Associates Programming degree
>Have never programmed anything besides my Ti-83+ calculator

make 90k rewriting ancient legacy code in an esoteric shitbox language and VB6 to the same esoteric shitbox language and .net

What's the story behind the pic. Who the hell takes the time to draw this nonsensical shit.

STEM is such a meme.

Graduated with a bachelors in 3yrs and I’m making 80k + 50%-75% performance bonus (finance).

Don’t fall for the STEM meme.

You got your foot in the door. Good job boyo.

Above sea level or below it?

>tfw no degree but ended up being tech lead, with VP/CTO on the roadmap
*sips*

Whatd you study? Did you do accelerated study?

Do no go to post secondary for a year or two, you'll go in with a lot more appreciation.

you are asking the losers of the internet about you career choices

Starting my first job as a junior software engineer on monday bros, what should i expect?

PhD Candidate in Political Sciences at Doshisha University
Full scholarship with 200.000 yen living stipend
I just go on Jow Forums because I technology. Only absolute normies get training in "professions".

Attached: 1207_honors071.jpg (1000x667, 131K)

I'm a SharePoint developer and have no certs.
Mostly do front end dev and build apps on it

I ha e a btec in hair and beauty and I'm an extrusion engineer.

You're not an engineer.

Attached: renchon.gif (480x270, 1.43M)

We'll see when you finish that how you can earn a living.

Fucking this.
I burned out because it just felt like highschool v2.
After wageslaving for two years I'm finally getting back into education and there is no way I'm goind to waste any more time while studying. Well, I study a lot in my free time, but you need the magic college paper to get a job.

Figure out what makes you happy that realistically had a career path. Then goto school for it. The only cert that will secure your a job without having to prove yourself three times over is a college degree.

Ask for help instead of staring at your screen

Got a retardedly high paying job, but have to use a MacBook (using a laptop with them for my current job). Everyone has a price

Attached: smh_tbh_fam.gif (414x382, 2.8M)

When asking for help always preface with what you have tried so far, and what you have learned.

Best way to get on a senior devs shitlist is to ask tons of questions without researching or trying anything first

h-how do you know this?