/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1498403291128.png (120x115, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qiL7ElTMb0w
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_rkQhsVI_ekJ:https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Category:GNU/Linux &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=gnu/linux category installgentoo&d=4754255856541259&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=MVtTHznyZY9x_FQs6B8Ma1OtDWyS6Plv
forums.g>
pawelkoston.pl>
learnubuntumate.weebly.com/screen-tearing-on-intel-graphics.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for evil gnome
Second for kde arbitrary code execution by opening a text file

>current year
>not using ROSA Linux R11 LXQt version and Yandex browser

youtube.com/watch?v=qiL7ElTMb0w

>Yandex browser
>giving the russians your data

I landed a nice Python job today:
-Project lead and sole dev
-Remote work
-Slightly above market average salary

I'm worried fellas, what if i mess up?

No...the Russians are smart enough to realize that those things are double edged swords and it's not worth it, the same cannot be said about the control freaks of Western Liberal Democracy (tm).

RU gov does all their surveillance at the infrastructure level and they are very honest about it.

shit happens bruh just do your best

>-Remote work
Hire me.

thanks friend
I wish, i want a senior dev to hold my hand ;-;

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
dead link

I guess my journey ends here. LE seems to have the spdif set up correctly but the asound.conf (.asoundrc) doesn't take well. So until I can dig up more info, I'll have to be content with background noise for stereo to keep the receiver responsive.

However, in my travels I saw someone mention an external AC3 encoder. And then it dawned on me. Steam Link supports surround sound just fine, and there's an application for it on Rasbian. With Rasbian not being a bitch to set up a52, pulling in surround sound over steam link (with added noise) and encoding it on the fly to AC3 works just fine. It's a super hack and almost defeats the purpose of the pi, but I only need this setup for 5.1.

If there's anything to learn from my blog posts, it's fuck me and fuck digital surround sound. My current solution ended up being a giant workaround which while it replaced my steam link basically became a steam link with the added benefit of discrete surround sound that doesn't have dropouts from silence.

LibreElec wants to be as minimal as possible and it feels like they take a lot of things to benefit power users such as arecord and alsaloop, as well as abstracting Kodi's usage of ALSA.
Kodi on Rasbian isn't recent enough (17.6!) to be useful and runs slow as shit, but Steam Link ended up running just fine.

Not fglt, go away with your job.

Attached: linux_file_structure.jpg (1000x647, 94K)

Relevant journey pic.

If I could find a sensible way to mix in the noise on LibreElec I'd probably be set. ALSA is very anal about what comes from and what goes where.

Attached: the journey.png (574x312, 8K)

linux doesn't even have a filepicker HAHAHAHAHA

Kernels don't need file pickers, brainlet.

Part 2, LibreElectric Boogaloo

Attached: the real journey.png (864x205, 7K)

why is audio such a pain on any OS
I feel like there's 12 different ways to control volume between the thing that's making a sound and the speakers/headphones

the BSD's don't have this problem. OSS is unironically better than alsa and pulse

And to think audio on GNU/Linux used to be so simple you could literally "echo" data into the audio device.

>tfw you finally realize the potential of basic tools like find or GNU parallel

Attached: 1543242404492.png (742x351, 147K)

I'm pretty sure I installed some packages from a different release with apt-get on debian. I'm on stretch, and I installed from then unstable so buster I guess?
Any way to list the packages I have installed and from what release they came from?

I'll have a look at it, I've been trying to set up a decent working audio setup without a DE. I'm considering just using some mediocre default pulseaudio config so I don't have to mess around with anything but I don't think I'd exactly feel good about that.
what went wrong?? how did we end up with pic related?

Attached: audio-mess.png (1404x913, 276K)

How does someone with no experience with CAD learn FreeCAD, I just want to draw some floor plans and turn them into simple 3D shapes

I played around with the program earlier and uninstalled out of pure frustration because of how low IQ I am
Just looking for some simple guidance, a book for retards of a well put together guide

Nothing. It's not a mess.

Snap or Flatpak? How I know what is the better alternative for a specific program?

Attached: 141514104520.png (600x801, 403K)

What is your current distro?
I'm on Ubuntu and it's comfy af.

Attached: 1561046140635.png (518x412, 174K)

Pacman and yay are better for everything.

both are shit

dpkg and apt are better for everything.

Appimage, nix, guix.

Yes, the later two can be used as secondary package managers, they won't touch your main system apart from symlinks.

Pulseaudio has a lot of options, but it's rather easy to diagnose.

pactl list and you know how it is configured. You also can actively test what is working how.

Just installed Gentoo, it's easy af and comfy af. Just followed the handbook and it fucking werks on the first try including a custom kernel. Compiling xorg-server right now and going to install some meme WM when it's done.

It worked fine as long as you were dealing with the tty. You only ever had one thing outputting audio. As soo as you want voncurrent audio output from multiple sources you need to add some bullshit.

This diagram is nonsense anyhow, you can connect basically everything to PA and that to your devices, and that's even typically the setup you want.

> Inb4 but you can also create a really complex setup
Yea, so you can with networking, what's the point?

Attached: 1565214334481.png (720x844, 68K)

I'm kind of confused about booting using EFI.
Do you need to set up a boot partition for GNU/Linux like you usually would or do you just mount the ESP to /boot?

yup create a fat partition with EFI System Boot type and then you mount your /boot to it

Guix is better

Question!

I used to fuck with Ubuntu & Linux Mint about 2-3 years ago. My old computer got fried during a lightning storm & I decided to completely upgrade. I found out today that the 500GB SSD on my old computer survived and is working just fine. I was thinking about installing it into my new computer and dual booting Windows 10 & Linux on two separate SSDs. When I went to go check distro watch I found out that MX Linux & Manjaro are the two most downloaded Linux distros now. Which one should I get?

tl;dr Which one is better in the current year +3? Linux Mint, MX Linux, Manjaro or Ubuntu?

Attached: Dwight.jpg (600x400, 39K)

I did that but how do I use the ESP instead of a boot manager?

linux noob here, installed Lubuntu onto my old laptop. Upon startup, the fan is not running and the CPU climbs in temperature until it reaches 80 C. The fan then runs at full speed until the CPU cools down to a temperature between 45 and 50 C. However, the fan remains running at max temperature and never stops. It is very loud an annoying.

This did not happen when the laptop had previously run winblows, does anyone have a solution for this? I also tried Linux mint before and the same problem happened.

Gentu is the best Ubuntu

I think Xubuntu is the best for beginners.
Linux Mint, Manjaro, and Ubuntu are all decent choices since they have a good amount of documentation. Debian is good too. Never heard of MX Linux.
I'd suggest choosing a DE first then considering your options from there.

Anything Ubuntu. It's the most sane choice if you just want a machine to do actual stuff on instead of tinkering and building and breaking and fixing stuff.

Try Pop OS, I heard it encrypts your data by default thus respecting user's privacy.

If I had backed up a home partition, can I recover it even if I use another distro?

Boot up any live cd and mount desired partition.

I'm glad I'm happy with stereo and mixing to a sub and tweeter. Why you use fb2k though? Wouldn't sox or speaker-test be lighter?

test

Try using ps aux --sort=-pcpu right after you boot to see what progarm(s) are that CPU intensive.
Yes, the config files and stuff in your home directory should be universal so you can just copy them over.
I think he's saying that he already backed it up.

program(s)*

I just installed Xubuntu instead and the same problem persists. CPU temp climbs to 80 C wherein switches in to max speed, the CPU cools to 45 ish and the fan keeps running at max speed.

used the command and nothing is out of the ordinary. Says lubuntu is about 15 ish % right off the boot but then it goes to none.

Actually, upon opening the task manager at startup, the CPU hovers around 5% the entire time while the CPU just gets hotter and hotter.

The host machine is running Windows, and when the Steam Link connection starts it then runs Kodi.

This is doing the mixing process on that machine and sending it raw to the Pi, which then encodes the entire thing to 5.1 AC3.
I had some issues with doing the mixing on Rasbian, but I just need more time with it. This was just the quickest solution.

Can a linux host act as escrow/transparent proxy for two hosts?

Say I want 123.123.123.123 to host a civ iv game. 222.222.222.222 wants to play. Can 5.6.7.8 be the host that 222.222.222.222 connects to, and 5.6.7.8 just forward everything sent back to it from 123.123.123.123?
What's the best way to do this?

What happens if I set up full disk encryption and I eventually get bad sectors? The whole disk is written to if it is full disk. Will luks get confused and corrupt everything?

Cool, a Pango update removed support for PCF fonts and the devs are wontfixing it and suggesting people should just buy high DPI monitors or use some insane, broken FontForge script to attempt to convert to TrueType (10% chance for the result to render even ASCII correctly). Version number goes up, software quality goes down.

Yes, turning old machines into routers and firewalls is one popular use for GNU/Linux. I believe there's even distros specifically for this purpose.
I've never done it though. Probably you can do it with iptables.

another addition because I've booted lubuntu up so many times. About ten percent of the time, lubuntu boots up and the network drivers do not work, as in, there is no option to connect to wireless or ethernet. In these instances, the CPU does not overheat. However, all I have to do is restart and most of the time, the network drivers will work but the CPU will overheat. This same thing has happened with Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Linux Mint.

I being a techtard, have no idea how to fix this. been googling around but no solutions.

Arch?

Anyone know what happened to the wiki and when it'll be back up? Been trying to check it since yesterday

You can try the jewgle/bing cached versions

webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_rkQhsVI_ekJ:https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Category:GNU/Linux &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=gnu/linux category installgentoo&d=4754255856541259&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=MVtTHznyZY9x_FQs6B8Ma1OtDWyS6Plv

I just tried installed FreetubeApp from it's .deb package on Github on MX Linux, and the install went fine. However when I launch it, absolutely nothing happens. No errors, no visual indicators that anything went wrong. I tried installling the Windows version under WINE, but no-go ether. Anyone have any idea how might go about fixing this? The 'SMTube' app that comes with MX is garbage. Thanks in advance!

Attached: FreetubeApp.png (1106x843, 327K)

Are there any UPSs that can tell linux to shut down if I lose power?

I'm just curious what specifically I'd do to forward those packets. Is this an iptables thing?

Nice, I just did that the other week. Getting everything to work was a smoother process than I expected.

And however you choose to start the X server, make sure it’s not listening on an open port!

>Can't get virtualbox to work properly.
Running Manjaro kde kernel 4.19
Had 1908 - rc issue first which I solved somehow, then it turned out VT-d had been turned off in my bios which I turned on again.
Now I only get the option to create VMs that have 32bit.

Really lost at the moment, would like any thoughts and advice.

Could some kind user please assist me in configuring rEFInd on a new installation? I have it installed successfully, but I am having no luck in the config file, it won't find vmlinuz-linux.

i want to set up a server with relatively high availability. raid1 [mdraid]/mirrored vdevs/btrfs equivalent seems best for me. i've only used btrfs before.
UEFI/boot will be set up and boot order will be set up to try both on the mobo
can i get pros/cons of mdraid/zfs/btrfs?

Try gtk-youtube-viewer.

it's /boot/EFI/refind or some shit IIRC
ESP should be mounted to EFI or efi or some shit normally
you have bigger problems if it can't find vmlinuz though
addendum to this: are all of these solutions guaranteed worse than hardware raid?

Ok, but if I don't have an alternative and need to chose? Flat or Snap?

Attached: 1517804382375.jpg (850x1200, 434K)

Flat

Why?

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I also saw Freetube has a 'flatpack' which I installed and worked.

Not tied to Canonical's pseudo-proprietary NIH syndrome shit

What's the best CLI/TUI password manager?

Attached: 1565209416824.png (470x600, 197K)

pass

hello, a couple days ago I pulled a retard moment and accidentally deleted my /etc/fonts folder and anything besides my browser wouldn't display characters. My friend emailed his /etc/fonts folder and I unzipped it into /etc/, now there's an /etc/fonts in my /etc with all the correct .conf files inside just like how it should be, however everything is still fucked and unreadable even after a restart. What's wrong?

In addition I also did sudo pacman -Syu fontconfig restarted and still nothing.

Attached: 101278b48036bcf89f9fe582708ed698.jpg (564x832, 53K)

Thanks.

Attached: 1561601479510.png (557x654, 278K)

>I also did sudo pacman -Syu fontconfig restarted and still nothing
install gentoo (unironically)

#!/bin/bash
# Starting yakuake based on user preferences. Information based on forums.g>
# Adding sessions from previous website is broken, use this: pawelkoston.pl>
# This line is needed in case yakuake does not accept fcitx inputs.
/usr/bin/yakuake --im /usr/bin/fcitx

SESSION_ID=0;

#First Tab
# Start dmesg and radio
TERMINAL_ID=$(qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/sessions org.kde.yakuake.terminalIdsF>
qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/sessions runCommandInTerminal $TERMINAL_ID "R --sav>
qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/tabs setTabTitle $SESSION_ID "Calculator (R)"

#Second Tab
# Start vim as a scratchpad
SESSION_ID=$(qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/sessions org.kde.yakuake.addSession)
TERMINAL_ID=$(qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/sessions org.kde.yakuake.terminalIdsF>
qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/sessions runCommandInTerminal $TERMINAL_ID "vim /ho>
qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/tabs setTabTitle $SESSION_ID "Scratchpad (vim)"

#Third Tab
# Start with neofetch open
SESSION_ID=$(qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/sessions org.kde.yakuake.addSession)
qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/sessions runCommandInTerminal $TERMINAL_ID "neofetc>
qdbus org.kde.yakuake /yakuake/tabs setTabTitle $SESSION_ID "Terminal"

How do I get R to load and (auto-)save to the same file so I can keep all my calculations in one file?

Same with vim? This is the error message I'm getting for vim

I use arch, btw. I think snap has more packages since it's ubuntu shit but since there's no systemd module for it I choose to use flatpak (mostly just for propriety apps)

How the fuck are you supposed to stop screen tearing on an X220 with Ubuntu?
I've tried literally everything on learnubuntumate.weebly.com/screen-tearing-on-intel-graphics.html and still nada.
CPU is i5-2520M.

>inb4 gnome shit! etc
Also happens on other desktop environments.

Attached: wwwwwwwwwwwww.jpg (300x250, 20K)

btrfs still has some problems with raid 5 and 6, so maybe not that. zfs sort of works on Linux but it's better supported on bsd. Also to use the advanced features of zfs you will need ecc ram as well as a lot of it. Not sure about vdevs. I personally use mdraid cause it just works but it lacks advance features like zfs, but mdraid is easier to add drives.
Software raid has improved considerably. The problem with hardware raid is you need the same raid card. So go with software
If you have anymore questions /hsg/ would probably be pretty good to ask

The RAID56 problems with BTRFS are largely a non-issue

>fc-cache -fv
>sudo fc-cache -fv

kde5 keeps asking me to enter password for a wallet (apparently used to store my wifi password) on every login.
How can I get rid of that? I tried setting the password for the SSID in the network settings but it still disappears and I still have to provide password for the wallet.

tearing is a feature

I just checked. It's not as bad as heard but the write hole is still there and I wouldn't risk it

[color=red]Hello![/color]

[size=9]SMALL[/size]
test

Welcome to Jow Forums friend

how do i trust grep?
what if it missed a crucial line i was searching for?

read the code and build it from source
don't use the buggy gnu version, it's more than 7000 lines of obfuscated asm for the purpose of hiding backdoors

this did nothing

Attached: jej67vapxfd31.jpg (525x882, 42K)

Using kde/dolphin and im trying to organize files. Every time I move a file an annoying move here/copy here/link here dialogue keeps popping up. How do i disable this?

So THIS....... Is the power of....... GNU/Linux........

Going back to 10 as we speak, screen tearing should not be an issue in the $CURRENT_YEAR.

And stay out

Attached: enemy-san.jpg (700x391, 27K)