Is NVME worth it?

Is NVME worth it?

Attached: SSD-NVMe-01.jpg (1268x664, 309K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#m=32&A=500000000000,16000000000000&t=0&sort=price&page=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it doesnt even cost more than sata nowadays

>Never Mind Me
no

YES

Envy me

I have both SATA SSD and NVMe SSD. Outside of synthetic benchmarks, I can barely tell the difference.

Yes.

Unless you're running VM's, no.

Not really unless you're doing 4K video editing.

If you have to ask, no.

Deppends what you want to do

this

What you talking about fool a 860 evo is like have the price of a 970 evo

I put windows 10 on an nvme drive and it's no different than an hdd.
vidya loads faster though

Only if you can get it for the price of a normal SATA drive.
They provide no real life boost for 99% of people when coming from a regular SSD.

Why the fuck does some board deactivates 2 SATA ports if NVME is being used?

Yes. Its fast, install your os on it, never have to upgrade again

This desu. I have both myself and in all honesty I don't really see much of a difference. I do know that the m.2 form factor is prone to overheating, but most MOBOs these days have designated slots for them with heatsinks.

Not necessary, but theyre not much more expensive than sata these days, so you might as well. Just make sure to avoid QLC

>Do you deal with large files +250MB at a time? Do Video editing, Mass copy of VM's, or package making for actual programs?
Yes
>Do you just web browse, play games, and that's it?
No, unless you get it on sale

2.5 SSD's are pretty much fine for most anything unless you're wanting to run boot benchmarks

If you already have a ssd, no it isn't worth changing but if you are adding another ssd to your system or only have a hdd, yes nvme is worth getting.

Thats because NVMe drives only have higher burst performance. When it comes to large block reads/writes they are almost exactly the same. The controllers aren't good enough yet.

To add on to this, NVME is perfect for your OS and programs you constantly use. However, for games and shit you're better off using 2.5s and such. I myself use a 500GB 970 PRO, and a 1TB 860 EVO for games (inb4, it's enough if you aren't a hoarder who keeps games after completion or have ADHD and bounce between six games within two days). Two 4TB HDDs for media and small files.

I've never seen this, however it is standard to disable 1 or 2 SATA ports if using m.2 SATA SSDs because it's just rerouting the SATA to a different connector.

>why do these two completely different drives with different tech cost different amounts

Garbage CPU or chipset (not enough PCIe lanes). Go X### or Z###.

If it's not worth getting when you already have an SSD, it's not worth getting at all.

Attached: 1413223621338.png (140x141, 3K)

This is QLC horseshit and lies. Get an mx500 1TB in 2.5inch or m.2 and you're set for the lifetime of the computer for the vast majority of use cases.

Assuming they cost exactly the same and exactly the same capacity, why would i get 2.5 over m.2?

Yes. If you have the faculty to design a bleeding-edge system you need to have an NVME option considered. They are price parity with flash drives.

No it's not cheap nor fast enough to bother with yet also they run hot and tend to lose data or shit themselves when they get hot

Sata is ok for now but once m2 is more reliable and cheaper it's not worth it total meme

i have a crucial p1 (nvme) in my desktop and some 2.5" ssd in my laptop and I can't distinguish which boots faster. all I know is that the nvme boots instantly off the POST screen, and programs install instantly with a good CPU, and that there is minimal wait time for programs to load. 'Worth it'? probably not. 'Awesome'? yes

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE AND THIS MAN SPEAKS IT!

This post is just awful. Truly terrible.

>No it's not cheap nor fast enough to bother with

they are almost the same price as SATA drives and have magnitudes faster speeds.
almost no reason to not get one if you are going for an M.2 drive

Attached: aviary-photo_130392406419665731.png (593x333, 165K)

>they are almost the same price as SATA drives and have magnitudes faster speeds.
Nah, WD makes some cheap as shit M.2 SATA drives.

Yes and no.
I have an nvme, its nice, but I cant for the life of me feel a difference between it and my old sata 2 ssd, and my sata 2 was more around sata 1 in speed.

I would not pay a price premium for nvme over sata, and if using an nvme eats sata ports, I also wouldn't use it, and there are very few applications that specifically use nvme to its fullest, so think hard on if its worth it when you do end up using it if what you are using it for will actually benefit.

pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#m=32&A=500000000000,16000000000000&t=0&sort=price&page=1

Attached: 1491532401160.jpg (246x250, 7K)

>offers no reason why
nu/g/ is great.

takes up less space in my case, allowing me to build even smaller, which is better. many motherboards have heat sink material to bolt onto the outside of the m.2 drive and with read/write speeds AND cost virtually the same, i see no reason not to use them.

yes

It's the same price per storage unit as SATA, so yes I guess.

We are talking about TLC with proper cache.
MX500 is great since it's TLC and cheap, as far as SATA goes, definitely better pick than Samsung drives at this point, specially while on discount.
At the same time you can get HP NVMe TLC drives with proper cache for the same price (okay, maybe 5-6 USD more) for the same size.

Isn't the 860 EVO a bit better than the MX500?

>m.2 drives
if your mobo supports it, yes
>sata m.2 drives
good enough for your average normalfriend
>nvme/pcie m.2 drives
if you can get one for the same price and cap as a sata drive, definitely

simple

HP EX920 best M2 drive.

I've been seeing 1TB TLC drives in nvme that do 3400/3200mb/s for below $100 USD. That siliconpower one with the phison controller is TLC without any significant performance decay when it's full all while being

Literally not one point in the post is correct. Not one.

isnt your system limited by the shared sata ports and so on the specification of the additional sata ssd you have in your system? so that the nvm isnt worth it?

Enjoy your garbage thermals
these things are useless, they cost more
99% of us don't need it.

Why avoid QLC?

Enjoy your 1TBW lifespan LOL

My Z77 board has 16 pci-e 3.0 lanes and 8 pci-e 2.0 lanes. 4 of the 2.0 lanes are reserved for the onboard things like SATA.

With these limitations, I can run:
>16x 3.0 for GPU, and 1 NVME at 4x 2.0
>8x 3.0 for GPU, 2 NVME at 4x 3.0 and 1 NVME at 4x 2.0
This is while having 2 SATA3 ports and 4 SATA2 ports.

My GTX 1070 takes a 0% performance hit going to 8x 3.0 so I can run 2 NVME at full speed, 1 NVME at "half speed" (3x faster than SATA still), and 2 SATA3 SSD.

I don't see any shortage of lanes to just go entirely nvme up to 3 drives in my old ivybridge PC that has the very first Intel pci 3.0 chipset

What garbage thermals? Mine idles at 25'c and during stress tests it reaches a peak of 33'c. They come with heatsinks or you buy one for $3.

ivy bridge cant boot from nvme

Any Intel chipset with UEFI you can edit the bios to add the nvme support driver, so the bios recognizes it as regular storage.

The only drive in my system is nvme.

Attached: IMG_20190715_212350.jpg (4032x2268, 805K)

so there are what, like 3 boards that some pajeet posted a shady modded rom for?

>no name chink psu
lmao retard normie enjoy housefire in 2 years time

No. You unpack the original bios and download the nvme driver which was extracted from later uefi. The driver is generic and isn't platform dependant.

OCZ is a brand name you filthy zoomer, but yeah, that's no high tier PSU.

That PSU is over 10 years old bro. Works fine. Reviews were fine.

lmao man you must of been born atleast 2 days ago I can still smell amniotic fluid on you.

it sucks that ocz went under. the ram market isn't the same without them.

Gskill has had a more enduring presence though.

From pure performance stand-point, it is overkill outside of high-duty productivity environments.

Its only valid selling points in the mainstream space is less cluttering (no annoying SATA cabling) and SFF PCs (internal volume is at a premium)

Not enough bandwidth to go around on the PCH/PCIe controller on the CPU.

Not an issue on HEDT-platforms which have plenty of PCIe lanes to play with.

Read 'em and weep, boys

Attached: 2019-08-08-235940_1278x1106_scrot.png (1278x1106, 279K)

You should use the m.2 port in your motherboard if you have one.

1 huge fucking plus is that you dont have to run sata and power cables with nvme

get a intel 660p, crucial p1 or sabrent rocket
at 500GB I recommend sabrent and at 2TB I recommend 660p or crucial p1
they're all great

not him but they're slower than hard drives without the SLC buffer
it doesn't matter if you don't write half the fucking hard drive without giving it a break
however, write life is literally a meme, even under heavy use it would last at least half a century
by the time you even spend 10% of your write life, the drive will be obsolete in comparison to new, cheaper drives

My pc boots in less than 5 seconds with an nvme. I picked up a 120gb drive for $20

My SSD is just about filled up. Doesnt seem like there's any reason not to upgrade, since my mobo has the slot for it

is it true you lose a sata slot on your board if you use an nvme?

only if it's a sata m.2 instead of pcie

yes
read your motherboard manual to find out how it will work for you

Attached: 1.png (650x293, 150K)

In my experience, yes. Granted, I've only used 2 cheap (128/240gb) sata ssd, 1 wd m.2 (500gb) sata ssd, and 1 cheap mushkin helix 1tb nvme.

The same game loads in 50 sec on the nvme compared to 1:10 sec on the sata ssd. I use 3000mhz ram, so that probably helps with my particular nvme's features.