Why does linux have such a bad battery life compared to windows?

Why does linux have such a bad battery life compared to windows?

Attached: tucks.png (265x314, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Your computer is just old. I think it was the 6000u series that started the really efficient battery life for ultrabooks.

Because you need to install power management shit and manually tweak it
Because Linux just can't into hardware accelerated video decoding, which results in insane CPU usage for watching a simple video

Just install tlp.

This is just google forcing non chrome browsers poor youtube functionality, not a linux issue.

Hum no, sweaty
Even Chrome on Linux doesn't support video hardware acceleration

Just compile ungoogled-chromium with VAAPI. Setup TLP too. There is solutions everywhere many of them are just not defaults

>Because Linux just can't into hardware accelerated video decoding
???
Mpv has that option though.

The arch wiki claims otherwise, at least for Intel GPUs, so I am inclined to think you are just making stuff up.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration

>at least for Intel GPUs
* for all GPUs apparently with the correct translation layer.

The point is you have to jump through many hoops just to get a basic functionality.
And no it doesn't work on Chrome, only on Chromium with an unofficial patch. And of course, it doesn't work on trannyfox

>The point is you have to jump through many hoops just to get a basic functionality.
Yes, just like on Windows you have to do the unthinkable and install the driver.

>And no it doesn't work on Chrome, only on Chromium
Got me there, if only Chromium weren't literally just a better version of Chrome...

>And of course, it doesn't work on trannyfox
Blame them.

Because LUnix is stolen code and Communism never works, look how efficient are those kernels that are based on revenue AKA: Capitalism...

Also, once a battery is over 2 years old, you must think of changing it...

But in the end is Commie LUnix's fault...

we have this thread multiple times a day

It's the lack of driver and software development, and anyone else who disagrees is retarded

Even fully optimized it's nowhere near the battery life I get with w*ndows

It's because Linux is shit and is going nowhere any longer because of tranny CoCs everywhere

Bad video and WiFi drivers.

powertop, top, x86_perf, other crap. It is possible it just takes forever to configure. ChromiumOS runs gentoo and gets the longest battery life I've ever seen, passing 10 hours sometimes on a $200 laptop

Not with an ssd and 14nm cpu.

snap package of chromium supports gpu video decode
flatpak of obs studio supports NVENC

thank me later

linux takes more power to use because its unoptimized. the same hardware running mac is about 15-25% faster and 35-45% for windows, respectively

Tarded laptop vendors don't follow ACPI specs and write wangdows drivers to cover their misdeeds

because distributions are so braindead retardes they don't install acpi-call and tlp by default

Linux is closer to capitalim than mac or windows
Literally helps tech businesses
>Know a lot?
You can get servers without paying for terrible software
>Know nothing?
Pay a company like red hat to help you
See?
Microsoft and Mac is just corporatism

Attached: 5.jpg (900x600, 72K)

"why does my DE, background apps running and configurations make my battery life such bad compared to windows"
fixed for you.
and the answer is, because you are a retarded
use a lighter DE, kill background apps. configure better your os, install power saving configurations things etc

first of all i think you're reffering to the os "GNU+Linux" and not the "Linux" kernel and the battery life depends on the desktop environment and shit. gnome eats up a fuck ton of ram (or at least it did the last time i used it) meanwhile unity is light as fuck and gives you longer battery life than win 7

/thread