Python vs. JavaScript first language

20. High school graduate. No college education
Finally moving away from manual labor jobs. Thinking of trying to start working in IT. Most likely help desk.
Down the road security seems interesting.
I want to learn my first programming language, I’ve used Linux and windows for years never actually sat down to learn something useful though.
Python or JavaScript? And why?
Thanks

Attached: 6F383999-CBB2-4862-AD86-A917822EFC76.jpg (1200x600, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

b-ok.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

JS puts you in front end which is where most of the freaks in the programming world come from but it's a skill that stands on its own.

Python puts you in devops and backend but it's most often a helper language that is paired with something else be it background knowledge or another programming language.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Take your pick.

Most security companies like python experience and it’s a good beginner language. Try Learning Python 3 the Hard Way, you can find a PDF on b-ok.org/

So there would be difficulty making a complete usable “thing” entirely with python?

Thanks for the info!
Does YouTube build bad habits?

If you want to really understand how what you’re doing works you should really be reading a book. If you’re too ADHD to sit down and focus try finding lectures to listen to while you’re at work, that’s what I’m doing for TCP/IP

"Learn Python the Hard Way" is a meme book.

Suggest a better one then. Better, suggest multiple.

So you’re saying it’s a bad book or you’re saying you see it talked about a lot because it’s effective?

I'd say Python might be better, it's more fun to write and more general purpose. If you're going to be scripting, analyzing data, and creating tools I'd say Python is a much better choice. The only case I'd pick javascript is if you're interested in web development or some kind of app development with react native or something like that.

Alternatively languages like java or c# are solid options but come with a lot more annoying aspects for new programmers. I'd mostly just stay away from js if you're not into web dev.

You can create usable things in any language, it's just how you want to orient yourself careerwise.

If you go into JS you are going to be a strict developer whilst if you go into Python you can also do other things in development which aren't strictly software engineering.

>Suggest a better one then
O'Reilly books, python4everybody, even fucking magazines are better than this author.
No? I don't see how you've extrapolated this much from a single sentence.

definitely JS
far more versatile; front end, backend, angular, frameworks, database. getting fluent in JS, JS syntax, will be far more beneficial and useable. i use both, longtime webdev. ppl tend to get more inspired and motivated when they can see their code actually do publicly visible tasks and executions, JS will allow you that energy.

Attached: ubuntu-wallpaper-and-background-image-1440x900-id37681.jpg (1353x837, 44K)

JS isn't more versatile outside of web development which is huge of course. There's plenty you can do with python from web dev(backend), ai, games, scripts, etc... it's also easier to get up and running. There's no point in learning js without html/css and some framework/library like Express or react.

Python is quicker to pick up if you aren't only involved in web dev.

I use Node.js for backend and script for data processing, also for mobile with Nativescript. Haven't found anything I can not do with JS yet.

>O'Reilly books, python4everybody, even fucking magazines are better than this author.
Suggest more books user. More books

>JS isn't more versatile outside of web development
It's more versatile for backend, it's more versatile for mobile, it's arguable more versatile for desktop, and as terrible as it may be for games, it's still more successful than Python in this area too.

agreed

MongoDB
PouchDB
TaffyDB
GunDB
NeDB

Express

yadda yadda *yawn*

def tellMeTheTruth():
print 'Python sucks.'

tellMeTheTruth()

> IndentationError: expected an indented block

Wow, it's almost like every single language you'll ever use has its own rules for syntax and you're unable to accept that.

You didn't indent, now you have to erase the whole code and re-write it.

FUCKING PYTHON!!! REEEEEEEEEE. I hate how small indents force me to rewrite the entire thing.

People here haven't heard of deno yet. I thought Jow Forums was up to date.

Indentation shouldn't be a rule, that's my point.

I had, actually, but it's very green yet.

Yep, but looks incredibly good. I am studying the repo for a couple of days now and I really love it. You can import your modules even from pastebin if you wanted to. Meaning all you need to start a program now is a internet connection and the one executable from deno.

not really, django is one of the most popular backends nowadays

You're going to indent your code anyways, right? If you write readable code in the first place it shouldn't be an issue.

>why doesn't python let me write shitty unindented pajeet code reeeeee

Of course, I love to indent my code, but I don't want to be forced by rules and errors

Most freaks in programming are in back end. Front is usually normie nu males.

Django has been slowly decreasing in popularity for years.

Automate the boring stuff is better. lpthw's author REEEEEEEs about unicode strings, insists that python3 will fail.
you sound like a pythonista complaining the the compiler insists that semi-colons need to be at the end of statements. It's an implementation detail, quit bitching.
What's replacing it? node.js and c#?

Yes, it's an implementation detail, and it bothers me, so I chose not to use that language in particular.
I incline myself to the use of JS because it's a great language, with great support over the web, and practically ubiquitous now days...

You ever mess around with go? I've just dipped my toe in the water and I like it, but I haven't built anything other than a toy program to download chrome extensions. The amount of
res, err := functionCall()
if err != nil {
return err
}

seems a little wonky. I like that it's compiled and statically typed and I'm interested in exploring the concurrency aspects of it. It could use generics, though.

I have not decided yet if go with Rust or Go...

Go 1 is shit. Wait until Go 2 which should be released soon(tm).

What's the killer feature upgrade?

Features of languages released/updated after the year 2000.

>use indentation rather than semicolons and braces
>language is ruined

Imagine complaining about how statements are parsed when it still follows a logical pattern.

both are garbage. Learn C and Go.
kys and take your modern "features" with you.

Depends entirely on what goals you plan to accomplish. Python is basically dumpster fire garbage language design, but cpython is dead ass easy so you see people throwing some c shit together and now you magically have opencv, some ml frameworks for babbies and shit.

Javascript is pretty terrible as well, but the evolution of the language has mostly been positive and V8 is much better vm than cpython by far. The only thing javascript really lacks for me is user definable types and operator overloading or at least some kind of object values proposal that always fails to show at tc39.

>The only thing javascript really lacks for me is user definable types
TypeScript nigga.

>You're going to do X anyways, right? Make X a rule that can never be violated!

literally just use the official python tutorial

Then get on hackerrank or some other coding meme site and do exercises until you understand basic problemsolving.

Before you finish that tho youre going to get bored and just wanna work on some project. So go start working on that project. You'll have enough background knowledge at that point to google your ass into some kind of working thing.

TS and JS should be the same thing.

I like my variables as gum, no thanks